• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Inland Lake Trout Gear & Tactics

I hear you, Chadwick. I just ordered the Jason Mitchell 36-inch Mackinaw for lakers, and my rod bag is only 34 inches long. Guess it's time for a NEW ROD BAG! Uh, don't tell Mrs. Catfish. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• Mike Stark

• Northlander

• Surface Tension

All you long laker rod guys/gals. I think Stone Legacy still makes some nice long ice rod bags. I have one thats 50" long and I can get 2 big laker rods in there with big reels on them plus 2 smaller tackle boxes in the side zipper compartment and plastics/line etc. in the other pouch.

Cpt. Blaine I really like the feel of the TB rod. It handled the heaviest lures I bought (way oversized last year) and it fished the lighter ones very well. It took the load of a large laker like a champ. Its a little different sitting back in your chair and fishing a hole 3 ft in front of you.

I haven't compared handle size to the Mitchell rods, but I like the long handle on the TB rod. I can really rest it into my forearm on the long heavy jigging strokes and its nice to brace into fighting those awesome fish.

I was wondering how to rig my tip up for lakers? I have 30# black braided on there now. Can I just add a swivel and leader of 12# floro? What size and style hook do you suggest?

nwd, yep, just add the swivel and 10-15 feet of leader. I use a small treble about a fook below a couple big split shot, but if you use a treble that way you have add a tiny spinner blade to make it legal in Minnesota. If you don't want the treble, a single No. 2 or 4 hook is fine.

Originally Posted By: stfcatfish
nwd, yep, just add the swivel and 10-15 feet of leader. .

Steve - 10-15 ft ???? or 10-15 inches ????

and how about the length of leader for the jigging rod ??

Feet, Tami. That'll make sure the bait is a long way from the black braided line. No reason to use a really short leader on a tip-up.

I put 3-foot leaders on my jigging rods.

Thanks - \:\)

I love this my own little personal tutorials. grin.gif

Well maybe not personal - since I have to share you guys with 30,000 others blush.gif

stfcatfish, thanks for the help. I have some small items (10 caps and 4 pr. insul. gloves) I would like to donate for the bash if you can use them, would I just bring them to hdqts. the morning of the bash? Planning to fish Thur. and Fri. also so could get them to you sooner. Thanks again, Todd

It'll be fine if you're careful. With no rod to take the shock, 10 is a little light, especially if you get one over 10 lbs, but if you take your time and settle for cold hands, you'll be good.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

northwoodsdreamr, thank you very much for the donations! Bring them by the HQ when you get the there.

I run straight 12-14 lb test mono on my tipup. Never had a problem with break offs and the Trout don't mind it, either do walleyes for that matter. Dacron will freeze to the spool and once strewn all over the ice but that isn't much of a problem.

If your using smelt or ciscos on the tip up get yourself the smelt hooks. A smelt hook is a double hook with long shank. Remove the hook from the keeper and slide eye end into the smelts mouth and out its vent. The hook will be at the head where you want it. Trout will rearrange that smelt to take it head first.

Add a couple beads and small spinner blade and your legal.

Surface Tension thanks for the tips. Im gonna check at GM today for the smelt hooks. See you at the bash, cant wait! Todd

Its the jigman, angel eyes, glow or reg and rapala i have 4" to 1" but gld, glo, slv bl,has any one tried Williams spoons have three from Alberta also how about the new jigging shad. Well you guy are sure lucky to live right in trout country, Trying to get situated to come up. Thanks for all the help. have any of you guys that use spinning reels heard of shimano bait runner you can adjust the drag at the rear of the reel, comes in all sizes. wounder how they would work.slender spoon can any one recommend size or colors. great fishing Carl

northwoodsdreamr, thanks from me too for those prizes. Sorry I missed your earlier post. blush.gif

Carl, most any color or pattern will work if the trout are hungry, but lots of folks like the chromes, blues, purples and greens because they look a bit like smelt, which is the trout's main forage on Burntside.

I have a couple sizes of Slender style spoons. I think they only come in two sizes, and both sizes work. There's a shiny black/purple Slender that has produced a lot of trout for me on Bside, though I lost it on a line breakoff at the end of last winter season. \:\(

Jigging shads work, too, though I haven't use the Williams spoons. Any ice jigging spoon will attract its share of lakers.

I used the baitrunners carp fishing on the Red River, but unless you're fishing live or dead bait for lakers, there's no need for a baitrunner.

Anyway, Carl, it sounds like you're pretty well geared up and ready to go. grin.gif

stfcatfish,

at the very start of this thread you talked about the gear you use. you say a shimano 4000 reel...is this a regular open water reel you talk about..or do the have a ice fishing series?

thanks,

mike

Mike, yes, it was the open water series. I've retired it for laker ice fishing, however, in favor of a Shimano Sonora 2500FA. Slightly smaller than the 4000 but still with a nice-sized spool.

I don't own any ice reels of any kind. I just use my open water reels for all the types of ice fishing I do. I don't like ice reels in general because they spools are quite small and that makes my line look like a slinky.

Any of the approximately $30 Shimano 2000 series spinning reels are plenty for lakers. You're only fishing with about 30 to 60 feet of line out, and the drags even on the less expensive Shimanos are smooth.

Mike, I've never found them here. L&M in Virginia is your closest bet but I'd call first. Otherwise it's Gander in Hermantown. And last I looked they were still under $20. That's a mighty fine deal on a laker rod.

Hey Catfish,

Just an FYI, there are actually 3 different sizes of Slender Spoons. I now have them all after finding the largest size last time I was up there. Thats the size I didn't know existed. ;\)

I'm guessing you haven't seen the small crappie/perch size yet.

Has anyone use Gamma line on their ice rods??

I have a couple spools of 14# gamma (copolymer, @8# diameter) that i got at L&M cheap. I have used it for leaders for my LS leaders the last 2 years with no problems but never used it in winter. Does it freeze up or act like mono??

Hoping to get the Mitchell rod this week!!

Chris the Gamma is great line. I use it for trolling on the pond.

Outside on the ice its ok for leader line but I wouldnt spool up with it. Can get stiff when cold. I havent tried the ice line. For mono I still cant find a line thats all around as good for me as the old Trilene XT or XL.

Originally Posted By: Northlander
For mono I still cant find a line thats all around as good for me as the old Trilene XT or XL.

Same for me.

Alrighty then, its the 10# XL for the 5500! I'll keep the Gamma for LS. I've been using a small spool of 15# P-line flouro for winter trout leaders, but think I'll try the Gamma on one rod this year. Hope to see you guys friday AM.

I'm going for lake trout for the 1st time - I've put my summer baitcasters on HT 28" trout rods. How much line should I spool? Is 50 yards (150 feet) plenty? I hear they can make some long runs.

Bowfin, the times I've spooled up for lakers on a reel that had braided or other backing, I've put on 100 yards. I bet 50 yards will be plenty if you're tying it to backing, but I'd put on more if it's the only line on your reel.

Seems to me that one in your hands pulled a proud amount off your Abu if I remember right Steve. I'm in the XT/XL school as well. Hard and soft water.