• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy Lake Fishing Reports by Capt John

Caught speed trolling for musky on Red Gut Bay. No muskies, But a world record pygmy newt on artificial lure..

• 6 months later...

Wimped out and didn't fish Saturday - brrr too cold, spoiled with Texas winter. Fished last two days in beautiful weather.

Sunday 40 fish, mixed bag. Mostly good fish but some slimers and bottom feeders mixed in. Today 96 of those beautiful ol brown fish in eight hours. All released. Most on Munchie Worms, flukes, or spoons.

No partners so no pictures. Bass running a little smaller than usual with only a couple over 4 pounds, probably 20 over 3 pounds. Biggest 19-1/2".

CaptJohn, is that Canadian side or American side or both? Will be there in 2 weeks.

Not getting one every 5 minutes like the other day but happy to catch a few on Rapalas and soft plastics in shallow water.

Rainy2009-5-20.jpg

Willing to trade trips with others that fish Rainy or Pelican Lakes.

Rainy2009-5-20.jpg

Got almost 50 today including some nice bass.

Wayne lost a BIG walleye.

Rainy2009-5-27.jpg

Rainy2009-5-27.jpg

Tried for largemouths Thursday on a smaller lake. Got several nice ones mostly on Munhie Worms.

Went today with Wayne in his big Tracker.

They wanted Flukes. I rented Wayne one of mine since he didn't have any. He got 4 bass in next five casts but wouldn't return it! He ended up getting the big walleye on it as well. Storm chased us home early. Pelican2009-5-28.jpg

Todays pics.

Rainy2009-5-29.jpg

Pelican2009-5-28.jpg

I've never been to rainy when they wouldn't eat plastic...lol...seriously. But then again i am always there in June.

Captain John We are on our way up this weekend how are the smallmouth coming along?

Been gittin some nice ones this week but no real honey holes. One here and one there. Biting on just about anything we try except topwaters. I did talk to a guide boat today and they said they did well on surface lures!

Anyway we were fishing banks in protected areas.

Rainy2009-06-06.jpg

Rainy2009-06-06.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

On June 15, Ontario opens several areas of Rainy that have been closed for months.

Rainy2009-06-15.jpg

Rainy2009-06-15.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The wind finally quit howling so Paul and I fished bankers hours and did well. I got all mine on Lindy Munchie Worms while Paul had to use garden hackle for most of his.

Water temps in North Arm 55 !!! All the wind must have brought the cold deep water up top. Paul even hooked a big white fish in about 10 feet of water. Lost it at boat so no pics but about 7-8 pounds. Marked lots of bait and big fish in 15-30 feet.

Everything released.

Rainy2009-07-01.jpg

Rainy2009-07-01.jpg

Fishing was good Friday. Ended up with some nice walleyes. Got walleyes on humps on Munchies and Fin-S-Fish. Biggest 30-1/2" with 17" girth. Burped up a 12-inch perch! No partner, so no pictures. Best depth 15 feet.

I got an early start in ice fishing suit (as usual) to try out my new 115 Yamaha. Got three walleyes off first spot including biggest one by 7:00 a.m. Marking big fish around every hump but most being fussy. Got one dink bass and a few pike as well.

Way too many people at boat landing when I quit around 3:00 p.m. And apparently folks launching think they have priority over those who were ahead of them in line but wanting to leave. No more fishing for me until Monday - don't need an argument at ramp. Leaving for Texas on Wednesday for three weeks where I should not need my ice fishing suit in morning.

Sounds like you met some of the folks we met in late June. They back down the ramp and then stop to load their boat full of stuff from their SUV/Cars. Never thought about doing that BEFORE they get on the ramp and make everyone wait for them to finish something they should have already done. The you might run into their cousins too . . . empty the boat an reload the car while sitting on the ramp after they take out!

• 4 weeks later...

100+ every day I was down in Austin Texas. Glad to back on Rainy. Fish are still biting on rubber worms and I was glad to land a few this afternoon. Didn't need no stinking minnows.

Rainy2009-07-30.jpg

Rainy2009-07-30.jpg

I agree that if I'm pulling blades I will use the Gulp minnows. Now, If I'm going to slip bobber fish, then I want the real deal.

Nice fisgh.

Capt John I will be in Red Gut on Saturday. How far from there are you fishing? I have heard some mixed reviews on the fishing due to the cold water temperature. Any tips as we are bringing the youngsters and want to catch some good fish with them?

I fish the North Arm which is a looong ways from Red Gut. Red Gut seems to have tons of small walleyes so you should have good luck dragging bottom bouncers with spinners & crawlers in 25-35 feet of water. I have had a hard time catching big eyes in Red Gut so rarely go there anymore.

Speed trolling quick shore line breaks has produced lots of pike in Red Gut - and if you are lucky, maybe a musky. Drag big cranks that will get down at least 15 feet. 5 MPH !! so NO putzing along like you would for walleyes. And hang on tight or use sturdy rod holders as they will crush it as it flies by their nose. Most cranks won't let you troll them that fast so check them at boat side to make sure they are not spinning. I have had luck on Grandmas speed trolling.

• 2 months later...

I fun day casting lures on the North Arm. Weather could have been nicer but fish didn't care.

Rainy2009-10-04.jpg

Rainy2009-10-04.jpg

Second cast of day (caught a little one on first cast). This porka weighed 5 lb. 2 oz. Lost a much bigger fish on same cast (pike probably) so let jig sink back down and this one nailed it.

Rainy2009-10-09.jpg

Rainy2009-10-09.jpg

i noticed a lot of them smallies had sores towards the back or healed ones. What's that from. only saw them on the smallies. Is that from those eels that latch on to fish? just curious?

I did catch one bass this fall that had what looked like a lamprey bite. Big open sore that was round. But I don't think most of the wounds come from lampreys. The way smallies fight over a lure when you are reeling one in, I think any lampreys hanging on the side of a bass would be ripped off the side of the struggling fish and EATEN by one of their buddies!

I have seen a 3-pound bass try to steal a Husky Jerk away from a 15 pound pike I was fighting! And of course they do that a lot of the time with fellow bass. Anything bite size near a struggling bass is free lunch to ones following him in.

My guess is the wounds seen on many bass are from other bass.

Went fishing early yesterday. Nobody else at Bohmwn's Landing when I launched. Nobody there when I quit either. The usual weather, 20 some degrees, wind, sleet. I had a 15lb - 10 oz pike in the boat right after I landed a 24" walleye. The pike was only 37.5 inches so a true porker, belly so big I thought I was looking in the mirror.

No good fish in that spot though so headed fer a favorite bass hump. Wind died, sun came out and I had to take off TWO layers of clothes. Fishing in street clothes! And the brown fish turned on. Got three dozen smallies including my best fer the year at 5 lb - 10 oz.

Now I know the Big Fisherman was taking care of me. Sun stayed out for about four hours but just in my spot! It was dark and even snowing on other parts of the lake that I could see. But I was getting a sunburn while fighting those bronze beauties. Kinda just the opposite of that guy in Little Abner - the one with the cloud always following him around. No doubt it will be back to normal tomorrow but at least I had a great October bassin trip. Thanks Lord.

No pictures as couldn't find a partner fer the day.

Spent today packing antique lures and installing my new electric anchor. Got tired of replacing the plastic gears on my MinnKota anchor. The new Powerwinch anchor has BIG metal gears and looks like you could pull stumps with it. Will find out soon.

Slimers, bottom feeders and good fish were all cooperating today. First cast of day never hit bottom and biggest fish of the day latched on. Several other porkish pike followed shortly thereafter. Best bite was toward sunset in 15-20 feet of water. Nearly all on Fin-S-Fish or other fluke types. Mostly walleyes but did manage to catch some ol brown fish as well.Rainy2009-10-22.jpg

Rainy2009-10-22.jpg