• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy Lake Fishing Reports by Capt John

Fishing has been tough the last couple weeks. Between the wind and my cold, haven't been out much. Averaging about 25 fish per day, mostly bass. Did get a big pike yesterday and couple walleyes (one eater I kept). My first fish of the day was the best one - big bass! Everything is super fat so they are eatin good.

Water temps hanging at 50 in North Arm. I am hoping once it gets in the 40s the big girls will start showing up. Walleyes must still be deep as I am only gettin a couple each day. I just don't want to fish deeper than 30 FOW as I believe you kill too many fish when you drag them up from the depths. They might swim away but too many die later. Ask Dale Labelle about the dead crappies he sees every spring that have been caught and released by ice fishermen.

Rainy2014-10-24.jpg

Capt. John. Love your posts, and quite frankly it amazes me that you share them. I have fished "your" lake and many others across Northern mn and Canada and have met many folks from all walks of life that enjoy getting on the lake and fishing. smile Some of your posts about other boats being on your "spot", or getting too close to you are quite ridiculous and downright uncalled for. Although it should never be necessary, you need to be reminded that you do not own the lake--no one does. And perhaps you need to re-learn manners and respect for others. I will put it bluntly--I enjoyed your posts until reading more closely and understanding that you have little respect for other boaters on the lake. You know some of us are only able to get up there a few times a year whereas you have the lake most all of the year--think about that. I am certain that I will get some negative responses to this, but the obvious needs to be said. Period. wink

Barry45

Really? You need to change your name to “Why buy electronics and a map chip when I can just move in on someone else’s fishing spot”.

To long? Maybe then just “Stupid45”.

Your next post can be titled “How come nobody posts on this site anymore?” Where did Woody, Fishmiester, Darin and many of the other regular Rainy Lake posters go? And now quit possibly John? They got tired of dealing with rock heads like you.

Rainy Lake is 220 thousand acres of wilderness. It’s not Lake Minnetonka or Milacs. You don’t need to drop on top of someone who just went 22 miles up the lake on north arm to get away from the crowd. You don’t know the lake? You’re a weekend warrior? Then hire a guide.

If you want to post about how you’ve rationalized dropping in on top of other people, like rain from a cloud, then create your own post. Leave John’s blog out of it.

I will put it bluntly--I enjoyed your posts until reading more closely and understanding that you have little respect for other boaters on the lake.

I have lots of respect for other boats. That is why I keep going when somebody else has beat me to "my" spot.

I guess it's time for me to thank Capt. John for his posts. I have only fished Rainy once, but still enjoy John's posts. He often shows the baits he's using, tells the depths he's fishing, and whether he's fishing reefs, points, etc. And if someone asks him a question, he answers it. That's what a fishing forum should be. Thanks, John. Please keep it up.

Seriously Barry45................

When John post info and mentions he came upon a guy who was fishing his spot, it isn't that he was claiming it as his own, he was saying that was his first planned stop, but since someone was on it he went another two miles and hit his next spot.

I guess since you don't have any spots you don' get the context of how John was speaking.

Keep up the great post John and thanks for always being willing to share.

-Shack

John, I work with the public every day and I know I can not keep everybody happy. As I have mentioned several times in the past your post bring Rainy a little closer for those of us who can't travel Mn or Canada. Please keep up the great work with the post and don't let this guy get under your skin. You find those types everywhere even in fishing. Thanks Phil

I got to fish with John once, couldn't be a more considerate guy on rainy. Common courtesy is such a lost art with most folks anymore. If someone is there, DONT STOP. I have had to pass on several of my favorite places up there over the years 'cause somebody was already sitting in the spot. Come back later. Johns posts are a lifeline for those of us who only get to come up once a year, I check his post nearly everyday he is home. I hope to fish with him again one day. Keep it up John!

I got to fish with John once, couldn't be a more considerate guy on rainy. Common courtesy is such a lost art with most folks anymore. If someone is there, DONT STOP. I have had to pass on several of my favorite places up there over the years 'cause somebody was already sitting in the spot. Come back later. Johns posts are a lifeline for those of us who only get to come up once a year, I check his post nearly everyday he is home. I hope to fish with him again one day. Keep it up John!

2X what okf said!

Yesterday fishing was great. 35 fish in four hours. Today I fished all day and didn't get that many. Also the size of bass yesterday was much bigger. Lots of 17-18", today only one that size. Usual lures only I have upsized to 5" tails on most of my jigs.15-25 FOW on humps and points.

Is there something I don't know about that says, "If there is only one other boat on the entire North Arm, you should go fish next to him." Happened again today. I fished all day and never saw another boat. Gettin late and here comes the first boat I have seen all day. They come in close, stop, and start back-trolling around the reef I am already fishing. I would have had a chat with this person but he had a young boy with him so I bit my tongue. The boy was having fun catching and releasing bass.

But I will remember that small vintage white runabout with full windshield.

I feel I fish with John more than most, he has helped me tremendously on rainy. Never have I seen someone more willing to give info and help. I also have "my spots" and lately it seems more people have found them. Even in the busy season if someone is on them do I ever pull in. Most of the time I think what john talks about is we haven't seen a boat all day and here comes someone that pulls in right next to us or when John is by himself next to him. I have never seen john say anything to the other boat and we leave. That is the issue, these are not "community spots", matter of fact, even with a chip most people probably wouldn't fish these spots. The ONLY reason they stop is they see another boat. I guarantee that if someone came up to john on a spot and said, " I am struggling today, can you help me with ideas?" John would help them. Just another example of how our society has changed, there is no respect out there anymore. John has talked about not posting anymore and I think that is sad. He is the only one out there yet that gives good info. I have my place for sale on rainy as I have bought one closer to home and the thing I am going to miss most is fishing with John and I'm pretty sure I i won't even be able to keep tabs on him thru his posts anymore.

Capt. John. Love your posts, and quite frankly it amazes me that you share them. I have fished "your" lake and many others across Northern mn and Canada and have met many folks from all walks of life that enjoy getting on the lake and fishing. smile Some of your posts about other boats being on your "spot", or getting too close to you are quite ridiculous and downright uncalled for. Although it should never be necessary, you need to be reminded that you do not own the lake--no one does. And perhaps you need to re-learn manners and respect for others. I will put it bluntly--I enjoyed your posts until reading more closely and understanding that you have little respect for other boaters on the lake. You know some of us are only able to get up there a few times a year whereas you have the lake most all of the year--think about that. I am certain that I will get some negative responses to this, but the obvious needs to be said. Period. wink

I think you're confused as to who are the disrespectful boaters. The citiots who pull up and try pushing a guy off a 20 yard reef or the boats that pull infront of a trolling boat on a shoreline...those are the disrespectful ones. Rainy lake is big enough that you never need to fish next to another boat. If a person can't catch fish without fishing next to other people (doing the work for them) then that's sad and they need to read some books or maybe find a hobby that they're good at.

Hey John! Don't listen to one fool that thinks he knows the right thing. Everyday I come to work and look to see if you posted. I fish the north arm of rainy during the ice season and I really enjoy your reports. Please keep posting, you are one of the only decent posters left that really give some valuable info. Good luck this fall!!

Tough decision, but with six grandkids the 6 hour ride will now be a little over two. Will miss fishing rainy but sometime family comes into play. At least that's what the wife keeps telling me smile

About 20 years ago we were on a fishing trip on Whitefish Lake for the first time. We asked the resort owner for some tips on were to get started. He said "just look for the big group of boats. thats how Americans fish they see another boat and go fish by it."" Danged if he wasn't right the next day about 15-20 boats were all fishing in a big bunch. Cpt. Johns picture reminded me of that trip. A GPS is a great tool, but it allows all the lazies to mark your spots and take them over.

That is funny lexdog, but I always heard it the other way around. You know what they say about Canadians their best fish finder is a good pair of binoculars. Just ask Cap John!

Fishing slow again yesterday. 18 fish in six hours. Got rough so I quit a little early. I wonder where they have the gadget that measures the wind? Supposedly it never got above 8 MPH but there were sure big waves.

This has to be the toughest fishing year for me ever on Rainy. Much of the time cannot mark anything. They are either hugging the bottom or in very deep water. This year 25 fish in a day has been closer to the average. Only two 30-inch walleyes, a few pike 40"+ and not one bass over 5 pounds all year. I think the smaller bass situation is due to all those poor spawning years we had in a row a decade or two back. But no idea about the walleye and pike. I doubt it was because of the flood. In my experience higher water usually means better fishing!

Water finally dropped below 50 degrees so stil have my hopes up for Fall bonanza. But they are prediting 28 MPH wind today so it ain't happening today. Will stay home and work on antique tackle.

Sunset from Monday. Lure is a Heddon SOS 170. This is one my favorites to collect. This one from the 1920s.

Rainy2014-10-27.jpg

SOS170RETt.jpg

Gents, just to chime in on the subject. Before most people had electronics I would use a map and try to line up points, trees or any other objects to find a reef and still do even with GPS. When you did locate one it was only for a day or two before a mass of boats would be fishing right next to you (sandbay). An old gentleman I fished with would leave a hi-lex bottle half full of water so he could find the spot and others wouldn't notice. As soon as we would start fishing, boats from the near by resorts would start showing up (i'm sure they would watch for us) He would slowly drive up to the jug and pretend to catch a fish netting the bottle then moving it off the reef then continue fishing the reef. Most of the time these boats would spend an hour or more fishing around the bottle not catching a thing. A few times we were asked if someone had moved the marker and we would chuckle and shrug our shoulders then they would drive off towards the resort they were staying at. Some people like to take the easy route because they only have a week in paradise. I'm lucky enough to live here year round and fish when I can. It does bother me when others start fishing right next to me but most of the time I make the best of it and fish for awhile. if they're not bitting then move. There are too many spots to fish. Hope everyone has a good winter so we can come back in the spring to enjoy Rainy.

Trick or treat - again!

Yesterday was similar to last Halloween. Many missed strikes all morning and afternoon with only 13 fish to show for efforts by 4:00 p.m. Then I tried a reef that has never produced much for me before. But it was on the way to a spot we found this year that held bass and walleye in summer. JACKPOT! Never got to where I was headed.

In an hour and 15 minutes I got 33 fish. Mostly bass. Had to leave as I didn't want to drive home in the dark. It was a fish on every cast. Fish were scattered all over the reef. I could have stayed in one spot but wanted to check things out on rest of reef. Didn't matter. They were on top and on sides, both ends and middle, 10-20 FOW best. Water temps 46-48 degrees.

Weather could not have been nicer. Oh well I did have to pick ice out rod guides in morning but the sun was out and NO WIND! Fish must have liked it as much as I did. Biggest bass 4 lb 11 oz. Forgot camera so no pictures. All caught on Lunker City Ribster lures. Light jig head as heavy one not needed with calm conditions.

The lure shown from my collection is a mystery. It is well made and appears quite old. Probably made for surf fishing but nobody has been able to ID the maker. I have asked my buddies in the NFLCC (National Fishing Lure Collectors Club) but no luck. We often find neat old lures that are hard to identify but that is part of the fun. If you have any old lures that you would like me to check out, just email a picture and I will try to help.

StClaireMuskyWobblert.jpg

Fishing has been decent last two days. Not too windy. The bass for sure bite better when it is calm and sunny - but might not see that again this year.

Two days = 81 fish. Mostly bass but got a few nice walleyes today. Lunker City Ribster on 3/16 oz head and big 5" swim bait on 1/2 oz head. Reefs and points. I did mark a bunch of fish this morning 20-25 FOW but I think they were small walleyes (I did catch one dink). But at least they are starting to move up finally.

Lure is Pflueger All-in-One from my collection - c.1920. These came with four interchangable lips You could fish is on the surface, deep or in between. These are rare lures and in nice shape command a high price.

Click link to view todays video:

Rainy2014-11-3.jpg

AllInOnet.jpg

I would guess in 10 days. Water was 46 in the main lake. I might try Rainier landing if it happens before that.

Water temps 45 in North Arm.

Fishing OK yesterday (see video) but today was something else. I was getting enough bites and hooking nearly all of them but I would get them in half way and they would fall off - arrrgh. I only landed 10 fish in five hours. For every one landed I lost three others. I could almost bet which ones were going to come loose. They just felt different when reeling them in. I would keep good tension all the way but they would just fall off. Tried different hooks and lures but same result. Maybe they were just slapping at the lures and not eating them. My guess is I would hook them on the side of the face and most would fall off before I got to see them (I did land one hooked that way).

I did catch a weird golden walleye.

Yesterday's vodeo click link:

Colorado Floating Moths are todays vintage lures. THe wings are celluloid and nearly all are damaged because they are so fragile. A favorite of fly rod lure collectors. These are not mine but I like them!

ColoradoMoths.jpg

Rainy2014-11-6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Back in Texas for winter. Already missing Rainy Lake.

Today's old lures were made in Minnesota. They are Brown's Fisherettos. One is an ice spearing decoy and the other their standard lure. This company made several other models but all have that folk art appearance and have crude hand-painted designs. I am looking to buy one of the boxes they were sold in. Boxes are usually much harder to find than the lures - that is the case here.

I am also looking for a box or lure and paperwork for Nifty Minne lure also made in Minnesota c.1913. Seems like every few years somebody comes out with a similar clear "minnow tube" type lure. The first ones were glass, the Nifty Minne celluloid, and newer ones are plastic. I doubt if any of them work. But collectors love the old glass ones and all old ones are valuable.

2Fisherettos.jpg

NiftyMinne.jpg