• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy Lake Fishing Reports by Capt John

Bohman Landing was froze over this morning. Lucky for me several other guys had already launched and taken care of ice breaking chores.

Fishing was slow most of the day but size was excellent. Did find an unmarked reef late afternoon and caught some very nice bass in short order. I will be fishing that spot some more!

To see today's videos click link:

Rainy2013-10-29.jpg

Yesterday fishing was OK. Decent action but nothing huge.

Today weather warmed up and Bohmans is wide open again. Woke up at 4:00 a.m. and couldn't fall back asleep so went over to see the Fishmeister and have breakfast. Hit the ramp as it was getting light. Foggy but not so bad that you had to worry about hitting anybody.

Fish were playing tricks on me all morning. I landed about one of every three that I hooked. But I got my treats in the afternoon. I saw the big one coming after the lure - my lure was about a foot under the water.

To see Trick or Treat videos click links:

Rainy2013-10-31.jpg

I think yesterday you must have felt like a little kid on Xmas morning, couldn't wait for the fun to start and needed to get a jump on it! grin

Next year we'll need to hook (no pun intended) up and do some late Fall fishing if that is alright with you? wink

Fishing slow today. Fished five hours and got a dozen nice fish. Not a bite first 90 minutes. Only two walleye which is a big change from yesterday. The nice pike over 36 inches. There must be some major food source shallow as every pike is stuffed. Not really marking much though.

Click link to view today's video:

Rainy2013-11-1.jpg

Only got a dozen fish in six hours yesterday. All bass until late, then a couple walleyes. Cannot find the big concentrations of bass like I used to. 50 bass a day in late Fall was about average in the good ol days. I caught all the bass Saturday off two humps and never marked a fish on either. Guess I will have to try more for pike in middle of the day to keep me busy.

Short video

Rainy2013-11-2.jpg

John I was wondering what depth you are finding the fish. Looked like a good sized jig head with the plastics? Thanks Phil

After experimenting with the larger swimbait in picture, I have found a 1/2 oz head works best no matter what depth. I am reeling it in steady with only occasional pause to check that I am near bottom. Strikes are usually subtle with rarely a solid thump on these. Jig just feels like it gradually gets heavier. In warm water might be a different story but I have just started using this larger size.

Other soft plastics I vary jig weight a lot depending on depth and wind.

Most of the fish have been 20-25 feet. Walleyes have been moving shallower than that near sunset.

when I grow up I want to be just like capt john, living the good life, fishing everday. wish I could join you for a day.

You are welcome to fish with me, but will have to wait until next year. I am done for 2013. Getting the boat ready for storage.

Headed fer Texas soon.

Capt John,

It has been a joy to read your posts, see your pictures and view your videos this past year. I thoroughly enjoyed fishing with you this past summer. It is a sad time when one needs to put the boat away this time of year, but for me my frown begins to turn upside down when I return home with the snowmobiles in tow getting ready for my next passion. I hope to see you again next year, take care and be safe!

John. Thanks for all the reports and pcs.I get a chance to fish for a few days on Rainy each year. Having your photos and stories brings Rainy a litle closer. Have a good winter down South. I look forward to your tales on Rainy next year. Phil

• 5 months later...

I can't stand it any more. Tired of watching my old videos on this thread. Headed north next week. North Arm should be opening up one of these days.

Supposed to go shore fishing with my daughter tomorrow down here in Texas. My guess is there will be a ton of other anglers.

We are getting anxious to be up there, too! Just ordered tomato plants from my Canadian greenhouse today for the island garden. Hopefully, we will be able to get to the island soon! Safe travels.

Went over into Canada yesterday. Drove across the Causeway (STILL under construction!). North Arm is solid ice but ready to go any day now. The north west end of Sand Bay was wide open. Flood gates were open on the dam so much current in the river.

I was told there are a few new rules for fishing in Ontario so will have to check them out.

Talked to a friend that went flying Saturday morning. He said everything north of the Causeway looked petty solid along with everything east of Sha Sha(it is open around Sha sha point). There is open water around the Brule and the west end of Northwest bay is open. Looks like another week to 10 days for ice free.

Muskies thanks for the ice status for Northwest Bay. I am planning a short trip up to the cabin on the 19th, so I am hoping for no ice. In the past the last bay to let go is the one by galbraith point. Not sure if that is going to happen this year.

Finally got the boat in the water. Batteries dead - bummer. Had to go back to town and get new batteries. Finally launched and headed north around 4 p.m. Get to the Causeway and see lots of white on other side. North Arm still froze over - double bummer. Haymarsh open and water above 50 but no fish. Main lake 39 but hardly any open water.

Marked a few fish but no bites and then ice chased me off. Later ice cleared and I went back and landed 14 of the beautiful brown bombers. Biggest 4 lb. - 14 oz. Mostly 15-20 FOW.

Click link to see todays video

Rainy2014-5-16.jpg

Hi John,

Glad to see you back in Minnesota and getting back to what you love, fishing and telling the world all about it!

I tried to see your video, but in comes up as private and can't be seen. Do you know what that is all about?

I hope to see you again this summer!

Chet

try again. I have changed the video to "Public". You might need to click your "REFRESH" button.

John,

Glad to see you are back home with the brown fish. We are still in FL and will get back 5/27.

Regards,

Wayne

John,

So glad to hear you're back in God's country.We'll be coming up on the 29th.We have followed your posts for a couple of years now.We fish exclusively for smallies. Bottom feeders and slimers get in the way once in a while. Anyway we stay at Idlewood. Would sure like to meet you if at all possible.

Good morning John,

Good to see you haven't lost your touch over the long winter. Was up in Red Gut area on Saturday fishing for walleyes. Caught our limit in about 4 hours but had to try many spots before finding the ones that were biting. Jig and minnow in 10 to 20 feet of water...nice to have fresh fish again. Still pretty cool with water in the mid to high 40's.

Tried again today but only got about a mile farther than Friday. Main lake iced over from Risky Island all the way north as far as you can see. Some boats were taking the inside passage on west side. Maybe the lake is open up where that route comes out across from Tug Point. But I didn't feel like a long boat ride so stuck close to Causeway.

Water was 41 today.

Lost a decent fish on first cast and never had another bite for over an hour. Ended uo with a dozen fish. One pike rest bass. They were very fussy and my heavy jig and paddle tail got nothing. Had to go to 1/8 oz and Fin-S-Fish. Beautiful weather and it was killing me not to be able to travel to my "good" spots. Did OK fishing the limited area I could reach.

Click link to view video.

Rainy2014-5-18.jpg

Hi John,

Wish I could make it up there now, but need to take care of family business this spring.

I tried your video link and it didn't work for me.

Thanks

I tried your most recent link again today and there was no video. Just letting you know.