• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy Lake Fishing Reports by Capt John

Hi Capt John,

Sounds like a tough bite for you. You must have been out of your elements trolling for two hours and being on the US side. I hope things pick up for you soon. I'm heading up this weekend for five days of fishing with some "old" and "dear" friends that go way back. We might see you around so stop by and say hi.

Chet,

Back in my element yesterday. Marking lots of fish on just about every reef and point I checked. Plenty of eaters but biggest walleye only 18 inches. Most fish 25-30 FOW but bigger ones shallower. Shallow ones hitting much better - "sniffers" galore in 25 FOW.

All on soft plastics. Did try slow trolling crankbaits hoping for a big one but no luck. Also trolled deep weeds for pike but again no luck.

My wife went with me today to take pictures. First few reefs yielded only one fish but the last one was good for about 20, including the whopper in the last video clip. Click the link to view

Nice video Capt., are you starting to find the bass on the walleye reefs now, up north? how deep are the humps? is the water cooling off? I want to get out and find some of those footballs that you keep posting pics of now that it is football season, any tips would be greatly appreciated...

Well it is still early for the bass on humps. That one Friday was the first big one of the season off a walleye reef. I favor humps that top off at 20-25 FOW. Most will not have bass even later on. They really tend to favor one reef over all others in a given area. Check about 20 reefs and you should find one good one. If you catching lots of walleyes, you probably are not going to get many bass. The bass seem to take over once they show up.

When they are really biting, the bass are usually on the shallowest part of reef. Most of the time, they are on the edge or even suspended off to the side. I favor spoons as search lures. They let you cover water much faster. Once I find some fish, soft plastics will produce more bites.

Water was 67 on Friday. Air is supposed to get down to 31 tonight so that should get the bass headed for deeper water.

I saw some guys from Wisconsin polishing up their boat after they finished fishing on Friday - Bowman's Landing. Was that you? I will share trips so give me a call or email if interested.

Ended up with one nice pike, five nice bass and lots of small walleyes today. Mostly on spoons. Not marking much and bites were hard to come by.

Rainy2013-9-16.jpg

Hi John,

It was nice seeing you last weekend when you stopped my the resort. We also nailed a few nice SM while up there this past week. We had them up to 17" with the range between 13-16". I don't think I will make it up there anymore this year, but will be up next to enjoy all that Rainy has to offer.

Fishing has been tough the last few days. Marking very few fish no matter where I go. Been averaging about 20 fish per day. About half bass. Might be forced to try trolling - not my fav. Good news is the bass are finally just starting to show up on their Fall spots.

Got a 19-incher on my third cast yesterday (Happy Birthday to me) and thought I was into them. No such luck. Went several hours before I found some more. Last hour of the day has been by far the best.

Got one very fat pike that had just eaten a tullibee and couldn't swallow the whole thing - tail was still showing! Also had a small walleye spit up a big smelt so we still have a chance to have a good crop of smelt somewhere down the road. I had me best bites ever on Rainy when the fish (all species) were gorging on big smelt. Haven't seen that in years though.

Rainy2013-9-24.jpg

John,

Always enjoy your post.Looks like it is a little cool out on the water. I made it up the 1st week of Aug. Fishing was a little slow for me but enjoyed every minute on the lake.Good fishing.

Fishing picking up. Water 56 degrees in main lake. 49 fish in 10 hours. Mostly bass but got a few walleyes. First fish of day was the biggest walleye at 26".

Wind was rough all day. Had to use 1/2 oz jig to tell when I hit bottom. But I missed MANY hit because of the heavy jig. I usually land about 90% of hits on 1/8 oz head but more like 50% today. Big spoon was working well again as were plastic tails.

Rainy2013-10-7.jpg

Fished the lake Tuesday with Dave and got about 30. Nothing huge.

Thursday my buddy Herb only could fish a few hours. We tried the river since we had so little time. Walleye run is on according to others we talked with. We managed about 25 fish in four hours but nothing big.

Click link to see videos.

Nice fish John!

How much longer do you plan on fishing this Fall? I think last year you went until the landing froze up.

If I can launch the boat, I will be fishing.

I have caught my biggest bass, walleyes and pike in late October or November.

Got 57 bass today before any bottom feeders showed up. Water 56 at sunrise and I was surprised since air was below freezing. Watch the video to see what was working.

Rainy2013-10-14.jpg

Fishing slow today but average size much better than Monday. Water 54-55 degrees. Got some big bass off points so they have not all moved to the humps yet.

Click link to view Oct. 16 video.

Rainy2013-10-16.jpg

John looks like it might be a little chilly out there.Great pics. Lets me back here at home kinda feel like am up there as well. Going to miss your reports as ole man winter shows. Thanks again for all your input on this site. Phil

Water still 54 degrees. Fishing slow today but average size good. Only three walleyes but all 24"

Click link to see today's video.

Rainy2013-10-18.jpg

Saturday water was still above 50 degrees. We fished banker's hours and got 28. Mostly bass. Click link to see video.

Keep the videos coming. I'm wishing I was there to enjoy the adventures, but need to live it through your videos and commentaries.

Got a cold at the worst possible time - late October. Went fishing anyway but have been paying for it. Got a ton of bass on Monday plus a dozen crappie and a few walleye and dink pike. Don't get excited about the crappie - all dinks. They were thick under my boat and I could have caught more but the bass were calling to me. Biggest bass 19-1/2".

Tried to recover on Tuesday. No luck.

Still sick but could not resist the call of the big ones. So went out today for a few hours. It was snowing and blowing but I manages to get a few nice fish. Pretty much just hugged the shore to stay out of wind.

Click link for big pike video.

Pike on Oct. 24, 2013

Rainy2013-10-22.jpg

Rainy2013-10-24.jpg

Hope you are feeling better! We sure enjoy seeing your pictures, since we are back in Illinois for the winter. Thanks for all your posts.

Fishing was good today. Only 23 fish in six hours but all quality. Biggest pike 38" 15 lb. 1 oz. Six walleyes all but one 21-26" , rest bass mostly 17-18". The three pike I got were all stuffed full of food but no indication of what they were eating.

Marked very few fish all day. Just hit some of my favorite spots since I got a late start. As cold as it was this morning, I was afraid Bohman Landing woulf be froze up. It was OK when I got there - some ice but already busted up. Hopefully I will be able to launch there again tomorrow. Lake temps 43-48 but protected areas are starting to freeze.

Man I love fishing when the water temps gets into the 40s. Might be forced to use a different ramp soon as Bohman will be froze unless we get a few warm days.

Click link to today's videos.

Rainy2013-10-28.jpg