• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where Everyone going Opening Day Spearing?

bassNspear

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bassNspear

• Central Bassman

• Early Riser

• muskiemachinery

when i leave the spot im fishing all you see is the holes. i do a cleanup get together every year for the past 10 years. i don't pollute our waters i clean them. as far as them fish in the pics are they are very much alive, most are liveing yet when i get home. as far as 2 spears, thats what i do so i know i will get my fish and it wouldn't get off to go die somewere were i can't get him. most people don't like me when i pull up to fish and make them take there trash home with them. i think what would be a great idea is that they start a program for adopt a lake or river or creek ect ect.

Quote:

huh, i figured it would get a better response then that?

what kinda response were you looking for.

I spent my opening day of sprearing on a deer stand and when I got home I wasnt in the house very long and pulled the spear shack out on to the ice. sat two mornings and nothing but perch then moved house and had no time to spear until sunday the 10th it was about 1pm and the lake was loaded with fishrermen and noise everywhere but thought I'd try it any way and then it happened a 40 incher came into the hole and I got it its the biggest pike that I have ever got it went 16lb 2oz and its going on the wall. Now Im on the pickel patrol nothing bigger than 5lbs

nitefisher awsome pics. did you use a flash? I would like to take pics like that for my screen saver.

Quote:

like the one you wrote, good to hear you clean up after yourself, so so many people do not

I'll second that. There's a Muskies, Inc. chapter that does a lake clean-up on one of the muskie lakes in their area the weekend after perm. houses have to be off the lake. They usually fill up a couple of pick-up loads of garbage.

When I go ice fishing, I have an empty garbage bag with me, and I pick up what I see laying around. It's usually half full if I'm on a busy lake...

It's sickening.

Rob Kimm

the trash left behind is pathetic, i was fishing a north metro lake this fall after turn over and i was working a 10 foot weedline, i could see the bottom perfect, i must have seen 100 or more beer cans , pop cans, cigarette boxes and other trash laying on the bottom, and that was 1 weedline probably a half mile long, just imagine what else is in the rest of the lake

nitefisher, sorry about the dead fish picture rule, i was in a bad mood after seeing the butts laying on the ice and was trying to pick you apart, i think the pictures are pretty neat myself and again im glad you clean up after yourself

I've seen some people I've Hunted and fished with drop garbage and I jump them every time that is a huge pet peeve of mine, the worst I've seen are Ice fishermen we pulled up on a spot 2 years ago on Red it looked like a frigging Foghat concert was there the night before, great suggestion on the lake clean up Rob.

no flash just the light from the hole, they turned out better than i thought they would, thanks for the compliments.

Quote:

the trash left behind is pathetic, i was fishing a north metro lake this fall after turn over and i was working a 10 foot weedline, i could see the bottom perfect, i must have seen 100 or more beer cans , pop cans, cigarette boxes and other trash laying on the bottom, and that was 1 weedline probably a half mile long, just imagine what else is in the rest of the lake

nitefisher, sorry about the dead fish picture rule, i was in a bad mood after seeing the butts laying on the ice and was trying to pick you apart, i think the pictures are pretty neat myself and again im glad you clean up after yourself

thats alright, iv'e had people try to pick at me before on here. i have fished and hunted and trapped for over 35 years and was brought up to not leave a mess behind. i have taught all my kids the same and now they are part of the clean up group that goes out in the spring and fall, plus what we pick up on the ice dureing the winter.

Nitefisher, Its nice to hear that you are apart of a group that go's out and clears lakes up. Its nice hearing that...

Im glad that we have people that are out there cleaning lakes and making sure they clean up after themselves. Looks like its going to be alittle tuff to get out on the ice in the next few days. Hows the ice up North in Minnesota?

I have made it out a couple times in the Whitefish chain..pretty slow so far, but we have the house on an area close to shore that we have never tried before. Last Saturday I spent a few hours in the house..things were pretty slow. I saw a couple of small snakes I passed on, but had fun watching them come in. Then a hog shot into the hole and stopped with his nose right at my homemade decoy. I am guessing the fish was in the 10-13 lb range, very nice thick fish. The spear came off of its rest on the ice by instinct, but when I saw the size of this beauty I just sat and watched. I knew right away this was way too big for an eater. I tried twitching the decoy a bit, but the big girl lost interest and slowly swam out. I think that was the biggest fish I have seen through the ice. It was fun to bring in a fish on a decoy I made.

Now I am hoping for some cold weather and some snow so we can bank the house again.

them are some cool pics nightfisher, i like to keep the ones around 3 to 5lbs. im waiting for that trophy for the wall.

Nothing wrong with taken a few smaller pike out of the lakes, but sure is nice to see that HOG come slowly into the whole.

Got out this morning for a few hours. Speared one that was 29" at 7:55. She slammed a red/white decoy I had down about three feet.

Speared another smaller one at about 10:30 that came in on the bottom and just layed there under the decoy.

Then at 11:00 I had a pretty big one (10-12lbs) fly in and plaster the old red/white while I was swimming the decoy up high and fast. I pulled the fish and decoy back into the hole before she let go. She then came right back in and took another swipe. I Didn't throw the spear - too big a fish for the size I like to fry up.

Like you guys I will spear the smaller fish for eating and wait for a really big one.

Keep the spear on your shoulder and run your decoys high. Then sit back enjoy the view, the anticipation and maybe some action. I hope my story brings you guys some fond memories of darkhouse action you have experienced grin.gif

I got out this morning armed with spear and a rod I put the decoy down and didnt even take the guard off the spear and thought I'd try to jig one up with a rattelin rap and boy that was cool had three fish go after it but no hits then I put on a red and white spoon and on the third jig a three pounder slammed it what a rush then about ten mineutes later I went two foot deeper with the spoon and was jigging very aggressavily and pow another one slammed it this one was about five pounds. I'm going to be trying a lot of other stuff as the season goes . got to love the spear hole for fishin out of .

Got out this afternoon on Lake Osakis, and speared 2 3pounders! Sure was fun getting out there! 9 inches of ice there!

Crazy, im scared that the ice is going to get back and not be solid anymore. Hopefully it stays cold enuf at night to keep the lakes solid. Cant wait to get out here in the next couple of days.

I put my permanent spear house out a week ago sat.up here on the Iron Range,I had six inchs of good clear ice By tuesday afternoon with the rain and warm air I had water running in the hole,I didnt go wensday,Nightmares all night about my house sinking! What a releaf to see it was OK on thursday,good thing for plenty of blocking.Now theres about two inchs of white (poor)ice ontop of five good inchs so I think we will be OK on the range! There is no snow to bank house so were just angling and keeping fresh pan of venison on the wood stove while we work(I hate that word!)at filling the bucket with pike,crappies and maybe an eye or two!Ah!live is good but RETIRERMENT is LIVING!! PS if we dont get hammered with lots of snow for a week or two I think the ice will be fine!

Was talking to one of my buddies last night on the phone, and he was saying that when he was out on the ice, he was saying that within 3 hrs of the time that he was sitting there for about 5, he told me he saw over 15 pike, not saying that there not all the same fish, along with 5 muskies. Thats pretty crazy for one person to see all that.