• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fifth Annual Burntside Bash!

Don't rub it in he could not wait no longer for a taker but glad you let him know shocked.gif.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• SKIPPERS KID

• ripstick

• Wade Joseph

Just wondering has anybody informed the locals that there is a storm coming up there that weekend. Ah what the heck just surprise them. cool.gif

The authorities have been notified and there will be several more officers on duty to patrol Ely and especially the Wabbitt.

Wade, I don't know what the ice is like on Burntside. I don't care yet. I'll be out on Bside in two weeks for laker opener, which will still be two weeks before the bash, and will post an ice report then.

We do not need an ICE report we will be there hell or hight water I do not hope for hight water I pray for cold temps grin.gif.

If anyone is still interested, it looks like I will have a place for someone to stay with me in my ice house on shore. I do have a double or a single bed open in the house. At my discretion I will let someone have it. If interested post an email and I will get in touch. Thanks

Travel not recommended in much of Voyageurs

Duluth News Tribune

Published Thursday, January 04, 2007

Voyageurs National Park reports that travel is not recommended on most of the frozen lake surfaces within the park.

Although sufficient ice has formed to stake the Green Snowmobile Trail between the Rainy Lake Visitor Center and the Ash River resort community, thin ice and other hazards makes travel unsafe in most areas, the park reported this morning. The continued lack of snow has created very rough and bare ice surfaces. Overland safety portages have little show cover and many rocks are exposed, and cross-country ski trails remained closed.

Me and my brother will be staying at a ymca camp on Burntside lake, doing the x-c skiing thing with our wives. My bro pointed out the "Burntside Bash" the weekend we'll be up there. So now because we are fishing freaks, we gotta wonder if we can fish this thing, even if for a couple hours. I assume you are fishing for Lakers? Since I have never fished for 'em, do you need a trout stamp for these? And, if we did decide to fish, would anyone be kind enough to get us set up? What size rod action and line will work? What do you fish with? What other things do we need to know? Sorry if we are Laker rookies, but we would like to try this possibly...

Alas & Alack! We can't make it to the shindig.

But for Chunky---There is wall paper/ceiling paper on the way. Should be there by the weekend.

Saw a bluebird flying around here yesterday. As you can guess the only ice we have is in the whiskey glasses.

Finns.

Calvinist-You need a trout stamp-i started with my stiffist walleye rods-10lb line-jigging spoonstubes,hook&bobber,etc, until i got hooked on lake trout fishin-check search and you will find all the info you need and then some.

Cal check the first few pages in this thread. they give a short run on differnt tackle to use. Check 12/15/06 tongue.gif

So as I've spent 34 yrs coming up to Burntside to the family cabin, this will be my first bash! What is the deal as far as food/drink goes? Does someone usually bring a grill? Anyone bring a barrel or refreshments to pitch in on? Everyone for themselves? I just want to come prepared!

Hey Ditch, good to see you here. Welcome. I reckon I've sledded or trolled past your cabin more than once, eh?

It's a BYOE (E = everything). We'll have a grill or two, I reckon. grin.gif

Thanks stfcatfish for the info. We are on the "west arm". (Kaleva Bay Area) I'm sure we've crossed paths and/or wakes before as I'm up there 15-20 times a year. I'll be sure to bring a few extra beverages to pass around!

Made hotel reservations today...there are still rooms to be had. Got a room with 2 queen beds for 60+ tax. Anyone still needs a room let me know, I'll share the number for the place I got mine. BTW, I am only about a half a block from the paddle inn.

Now wade that does not sound so good. You and 2 queen size beds. Hmmmmmm makes one think. Good to see you were able to get a room. For others were there any more open.

I will be in this sounds like fun I hope the fish are there where I am grin.gif. This will be fun hope to see ya there smile.gif.

I will be there Friday Saturday and at least half of Sunday. I am staying at a buddy’s cabin only a few miles away. I expect to be on the lake by 7 or 7:30am.

How about you Gary?

Bringing my Dad and another good freind from Stoddard WI up with me this year.

Not this time Stevo...But he knows your relatives. He used to own Rockies supper club.

blaine we are staying at the paddle inn. We will be up fri pm to sun pm. will catch you on the ice.

Will there be too much snow for my 4-wheeler? No need to bring it if the snow is to deep. I bought two new laker rods and now need to go laker fishing. Also looking forward to meeting the boys from the north country. cool.gif

As of this last weekend an ATV worked well. But we still have a week and a few days so that could change. Maybe we won’t need either ATVs or Sleds with all of this cold weather, we can just drive out.

Unless we get more snow, ATVs won't be any problem at all. And with the cold weather, it may be a pickup type deal after all. I had 14 inches of solid ice under me on Saturday, and it's -15 right now and dropping to -26 tonight.

Five years ago, the first year I ice fished Burntside for lakers, there was only six inches of snow on the lake for almost the whole season, and we were driving in our pickups anywhere we wanted to fish. No slush, almost no snow, no problems!

Thanks for the update steve keep us posted, When are you going out again?