• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fifth Annual Burntside Bash!

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• SKIPPERS KID

• ripstick

• Wade Joseph

This is one trip that I'm planning on making for sure. I'm starting to get a better idea of my work schedule for the end of January. I'm hoping to be able and have Friday, Saturday and Sunday free for this event.

See ya on the ice!!!

Take care,

Tom (BD110)

I don't think anyone caught a trout at the Van Vac access headquarters last year, did they? Guess I was only there Saturday, so maybe I missed some Sunday. I know we only vex'ed one fish the whole day at HQ, where as a couple of years ago when it was at the NE side of the lake the 2 biggest fish came from within 100 yards of HQ. Thoughts?

Thoughts are: The south shore along Van Vac is one of the steadiest bites, open water or hard water, on the lake. It's also a sure thing for access to HQ, whereas the spot we had HQ the first two years (off the Dead River public landing) only is accessible by the masses if a plowed road is out on the ice, and the guy who maintained a road hasn't been doing it the last coupla years. There's always a plowed road off Van Vac. Two years ago we tried with a plow guy to get out from the Dead and he couldn't even break through the county grader berm to get onto the lake.

It's also a LONG walk off the Dead River landing to good trout water, whereas good trout water is 100 yards off the Van Vac access. Last year's Saturday was simply an off day for that spot.

That being said, there's a ton of great trout water on Bside, some I consider somewhat better than Van Vac, which is accessible to anyone with a wheeler or a sled, and some years a pickup depending on snow and slush.

So Van Vac makes the most sense as HQ because those on foot can find fish on most days right there. It's also much more centrally located for those mobile anglers who can explore, and there's way more parking at VV than the Dead.

Waters Island is about 2/3 of a mile and the backside of Brownell Island is a little over a mile from Van Vac. I have had decent success fishing off of those islands. I would really consider that easy walking distance if the snow isn't too bad. Last year there was pretty much no snow and it was really easy walking anywhere. Much shorter than some of the other lake trout waters we fished last year.

The parking definitely makes Van Vac a good HQ location.

Sounds good, then. Hopefully I can make it again this year. And ice a laker for the first time!

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Whoooo, more rare than the 30 lb laker!
grin.gif

Sexier than a 30 pound laker

not to mention just as smelly grin.gif

Howdy boys! That time of year again!?

Shoot, taint even shined my hooks yet. Been busy but my blood's a boiling now. Good to see you guys carry the torch. See ya on the ice mates!

Quote:

Shoot,
taint
even.....

LMAO tongue.gif

Welcome back Chunky! Guess we won't see you on here for another year now. grin.gif

Been a busy busy boy. Work's been crazy. Built a recording studio over the last year so that's kept me jumping. Barely had time to fish at all this year let alone hunt. Life gets in the way ya know? Good to be back though.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Good to see you here Chunky. Hope all is well with you and your's.

Thanks Frank! Almost stopped by last weekend when I was down there but didn't wan't barge in on you unannounced.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Next time stop by!

Good to see ya back, Bub grin.gif

Gotcha covered on a few Lagers for the BB, and maybe a nip or two. Lakers......game on!!

X! my man! What's it gonna be for pre-fish? Waters, Dollar, The Edge, The Nursery, or my new favorite Namycush Alley? As Steve used to say "So much water, so little time." Or something brainy like that. I can't wait to start scouting. With the little amount of snow we have, a good long hard freeze would set things straight for travel of all kinds. Tell the family Hi and we'll see you soon.

Quote:

Next time stop by!

Count on it Frank! And thanks for the welcome back. Nice to be back in the saddle. By the way, could you show me how a tip-up works again? I forgot...

Hah! He names these things and I know I've fished them with him before, but even I can't figure out which spots he's talking about with some of them. "The Edge?" What's that, a new TV talk show? grin.gif

Well boys,

I was able to get the whole weekend free for the bash. Can we try and figure who is driving with who and who has what left for rooms. I'm hoping to be able and find some room for my daughter to stay with us at the motel. I do have some friends in the area that I can check with.

I do have room for one more passenger and I can but the rack on top of my truck bed to haul a second house up. If I really want to get crazy I can haul my 16 foot cargo trailer up and make room for yet another passenger.

My plan is to head up Friday after Stacey gets off work and head back Sunday late afternoon. Let me know if that works for anyone.

I have no trouble just driving the two of us up to the event, just thought I would through out the offer. So please don't make any special plans if you are all set. I do need a place for both of us to stay. So if you have a spot please let me know or I'll start making some calls.

Take care,

Tom (BD110)

UPDATE!

Sportsman's Connections, via cashcrews, will be handing out printed maps of Burntside on the ice the morning of the gathering, and will donate some map books for prizes. Thanks SC and cash! grin.gif

Looks like there are more prizes coming. JB Lures has made some donations. Thanks JB Lures! grin.gif

We'll keep you updated as more comes in. It's not going to be a formal fishing contest this year, either. Can't remember if I mentioned that before or not in this monster 12-page thread. blush.gif Just an informal (though probably large grin.gif) gathering. With prizes! grin.gif

Everybody pray for a bit more cold weather. This Iowa stuff is killing our new ice!

I may just be heading up Early Sat morning and returning Sat night or possibly Sunday. Still not sure. I have room for 1 person in the truck with me.

With weather like this we might have to push this back a little not safe ICE let's keep the ICE report up to date. smile.gif

Well, with it being a month and a half away, I doubt very much ice will be an issue. But we'll certainly keep updating that.

Last year, there were pockets of open water on Burntside over Christmas, and the Bash was no problem a month after that. At worst, it'll be a snowmobile/atv/on foot event, rather than a pickup event. That's how it was last year, if I recall right.

Even in years when the ice is very thick, snows can be too deep for pickup travel except on the few ice roads, and slush often comes into play as well, making pickup travel risky. That's how it was the year before last.

Rest assured, we keep a close eye on Burntside as the laker opener approaches in mid January. grin.gif