• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Score this buck and i'll take you hunting for 2 days any season

tjm

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tjm

• harvey lee

• lawdog

• B mac

Top Posters In This Topic

That wasn't the winning picture... I know we didn't/don't let truck pics in.

I don't really see how you can shoot a 9 (especially since that's a legit point off the main beam) and then just score it as an 8 so it seems more impressive numberswise but whatever... it was a nice buck 8 or 9.

whatbuck3.jpg

ok theres the buck plus the MO buck shot the same year.I picked the Iowa buck up a few days ago from another taxidermy guy who had it ever since i shot the deer.He said it would be atleast another 6-12 months.So i'm going to take it else wheres.

Still debating on mounting the MO buck or not.

Lawdog

I never entered any last season.Think your talking about 2 different deer.2 seasons ago i entered the 1 above.Last season i never entered 1.This season i wont enter 1 either nor any of them.I'll post pics but i wont enter the contest.I'm workin on something at the moment so we'll see where this goes maybe we can have some fun down the road for next season get a few more guys out hunting

For those who asked

whatbuck.jpg

whatbuck2.jpg

Ya maybe I don't remember. Do you have that '04 runner up picture, that's the one I'm really trying to remember and can't quite remember... I thought you had one last year too though but whatever.

Sounds like this is the pic your after lawdog

Todd.jpg

DSC00084_0025.jpg

So for those of you that sent me an e-mail calling us poachers... shocked.gif I dont think soo

That's a nice picture there on the bottom. Gets the blood pumpin!! Is the top one one of the guys in the bottom pic? From that I assume he is a game warden or something?

Double yes and a thanks.My hunting partner/brother/dont do anything wrong or you get a ticket guy

If you have read a few of my post a couple of them state this.I had asked my brother why this game warden thinks the law is this way and another 1 will say no it's like this.

His answer was if you get all the officers in 1 room.Ask them all 2 ?'s.first ? is how do you enforce this law.you will have 2 answers.Now split the room up this side with the same answers over here and the rest go over there

2nd ? is how many hunters are in the room.1 side of the room will hold up there hands they all had the same answer how they would enforce the law while the none hunters all had the same answer how they would enforce the law no hands up

He told me they had a meeting about complaints on a county line 1 warden said this and the other said something different.So they had a lil get together and this is what they came up with.He said it was kinda scary.Thats why you always ask the warden where your hunting at if you have any doubts

The buck above with just the head was not healthy to eat.He had been slowly dying before we got to him from battle wounds.Basicaly he was rotten but still alive and willing to run.

So my brother called the local warden up and he met us at the site.Not knowing my brothers a warden too he handled the situation.He asked the loacal warden if we could just cut the head off and leave the deer for coyotes.The deer was so stinky we had to stand about 20 yards from it.The local warden says no thats want&waste but if you take the deer to the local dump i'll give you a transport tag.WTF my brother says are you kidding me.I tell ya what you load the deer up you haul it to the dump and keep the rack.Warden says but i'll have to take your deer tag because you killed a buck

So my brothers says i tell ya what.How about we go get the farmer and ask him if we dig a hole and bury the deer will that do.Yup he says.So thats what we did.After all said and done he gave us a transport tag and off he went

Catch to this was i lost my tailgate somewhere in the meentime and on the way home all the deer were exposed.Sure enough we get pulled over.Sure enough the next warden was not happy with what was done to the deer.After a 20 minute wait while he made some calls and came back to the truck very unhappy he let us go with no ticket.So my brother in a round about way says sir do you hunt by any chance.Answer was no i dont have time

So when my brother got back to his office he sent a positive letter to the 1st wardens boss.He sent a not so good letter to the none hunters wardens boss.The none hunter officers boss called my brother and stated yea we have had several complaints.While the 1st officer and my brother are now planning a hunt together.Go figure

Yeah, my sis is a police officer and she has all kinds of stories too... lot's of things are how the individual interprets the law and to what degree they feel the person is breaking that law. We have had a few different wardens in the areas that I hunt and I have never had any complaints other than one time I had one walk up to me while I was sitting in the early morning, I didn't like that so much as it probably ruined my morning hunt....but whatever, I guess it's his right to do so. I have always checked out. The guys that I hear about that have problems with wardens are generally the ones that I know don't always follow the law... go figure.

That's a pretty impressive pic, but I'm talking about the single pic, not a group shot. The one you actually entered in the contest...

Very impressive bucks.

It's rare to shoot one buck of that caliber...but year after year...unreal! Nice job...

TJM:

Just had a chance to read entire post you started. Very good job in scouting pre-season locations for your deer hunts. And congrats on the buck you just had scored.

Many areas here hold bucks like that, but few have the insight to look at places that many would drive by and not give it a second look. wink.gif

Good luck to you and the lucky winner of the pool quess on the scoring this year.

Farmer

Thanks FishingFarmer

Where abouts in Iowa you at?? Central sounds close to the area i deer hunt when we get lucky and draw a permit.Since Iowa is'nt that big i gotta be close wink.gif

TJM:

Our home farm is near Perry, Iowa

The town is in what they call the tri-county area.

If you know it's location you know what counties we farm in and around. wink.gif

If I was smart enough I would post a picture of a buck I shot a couple years back.

Again, good luck in this years hunt and don't shoot mine if your in this area. grin.gifgrin.gif

Farmer

I will say this about parts of central Iowa.When I use to pheasant hunt around Carroll and the area south and aouth east of there we would see a large amount of big plus bucks.More than any area I have ever hunted around except maybe the Milk river area of Montana.

You guys have a excellent deer area.One might say the game and fish have done a very good job.Another thing that might help is your later season.

Good luck to all.

Farmer

Draw a line straight SE from Perry through DesMoines the same distance you are from DesMoines and your in my stomping grounds

I'm thinking back a few years ago i was around your area blasting a few yotes when we had no snow.The land around your area is mainly open ground but nice rolling hills just on the edge of the flat land am i correct???

Well next season when i get drawn for Iowa maybe we can hook up.I'm near red rock state park.I'm so close to that my stand is iffyyyyyy iffyyyyy on park land or private land.Just depends on how the fence grew through the tree and what side of the fence your looking down the line from.

Iowa is rated right up there with Kansas i'll say that much.Kansas just has big deer all over the state and Iowa has big deer all over as well just that Kansas has more Big bucks per square mile do to cover

I'm sure i'll make a trip down to see the local farmer around the second weekend of Dec just to let him know i'm still alive and ready to come back so dont let some new guy from Minnesota take my place cause he cant hit a darn thing anyways grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif Send me an E-mail Farmer at tjmalaskan at yahoo dot commmm

Harvey Lee:

Yes, I have to agree that Iowa's DNR has done a great job with the Deer population's and our late season hunts do help also. But what I have seen to increase big Buck ratio is, and I don't want to blow our industry's horn is.

Farmers, especially here in our part of the state believe in conservation practices to preserve our valuable resource. That is our top 6 inches of top soil. Many construct filter strips and crp ground on their farms. Not your typical fence line to fence line farming in other states.

The last 10 or so years, this practice of helping to control erosion has exploded the area of nesting sites for upland birds and bedding areas for deer. Tucked away in these shelter belts are where the BIG BUCKS hang low away from traditional timber ground hunting. They grow big because of there age and they know where to hang low year after year right!!

TJM:

Like I posted earlier, your insight on finding and scouting out areas to hold big Bucks is your reason for the

results you recieve each year. Yes, you have to have some luck involved in hunting, but you have shown that hard pre-season homework does pay big in the bucks you end up with year after year. Your line sight on the area is just about the ideal locate here in central Iowa.

I'll shoot you a e-mail tomorrow night.

Red Rock is a good area too. smirk.gif

Farmer