• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Public land for coyotes

I know this looks like it should be in the hunting forum but follow me here: the last couple years we have gone to a buddies parents cabin on Lake Wabedo and spend a couple days trying to call in coyotes on the local public lands. We have not had much sucess, but have seen a lot of sign, along with T-wolf sign as well. I am not completely familiar with all of the state and county land up there, but I can read a map. Does anyone have suggestions for us? We are all teachers and generally come up during the MEA break in middle of October.

Thanks in advance for any help. I think this year we are gonna start knocking on the doors of some of the beef farms up there.

102 visits and no help??? come on fella's we are responsible, if we see a truck parked at an entry and don't see gun cases, we assume bow hunting and we leave the area immediately. Does someone have ideas for areas around wabedo for coyote hunting???? Does anyone have private land with coyotes on it that want them thinned out? we use electronic callers, and spend at most 1 hour in an area.

You may want to contact the Chippewa National Forest Service in Walker for some advice. 218-547-1044.

Good hunting.

Have you hunted south and east of Wabedo? If not, follow the old railroad grade south to get in some back country. We have hunted deer on and off for the last 30 years south and west of Wabedo - used to see alot of coyote sign, but timber wolves are very firmly entrenched throughout the area. We started seeing them back in the early 90's, and I'm sure they love all the deer that are around. Don't forget Timber wolves will prey on coyotes - they're bigger, faster, and stronger, and will kill and eat these competitors.

Tough part to me would be to find country where you can see for a fair distance. Tree stands might not be the best way, but would surely give you a better view - sometimes two hunters, sitting back to back can be very effective in the woods.

In any case, there's alot of food in the woods around those parts - and these critters are pretty smart. Can't believe theres much hunting pressure for them, but you never know about them country boys...

Thanks guys, we have hunted south and east of wabedo, there is a grouse hunters area that we have tried the last couple of years, but we will find the railroad grade....last year went west of Pine river into the pine mountain state park (I think that was the name, anyway, we ran into too many ATV's and Grouse hunters, in fact we picked one up and drove him back to his car, about 15 miles by road. WE have called up a t-wolf before, that was errie, we could hear it walking back and forth 50 yards into the woods for about 10 minutes. A little un nerving

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• partyonpine
      Opener and the week after were good.  Not the numbers we normally get but better quality in the East End.  Not surprised on the weights for the Auto City a.  Usually for us we only catch a few slot fish but we averaged 3 a day for 10 days.  2 overs, biggest 27 inches.     Our best luck was 12-16 feet for quality.  When we went deeper we caught more but smaller.  Bass were really starting to heat up.  For me little earlier than normal.  Found some nice Bluegills the day we went after some panfish.  Dock fishing was as many as we wanted per usual.
    • Shulsebus
      We will be up on June 8th for the week. It will be our 13th year in a row staying on the lake.  I hope the walleye are hitting the bobbers by the time that we get there. 
    • SkunkedAgain
      Those are some fine specimens. Great job
    • gimruis
      I'm quite shocked to hear that a walleye tournament is still doing a live weigh in.  Virtually every event these days around here is doing a catch, photo, and release format.   Regardless, nice work.  Congrats.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   A great week of fishing with walleyes and saugers caught in good numbers.   The go-to presentation, again, was a jig and frozen emerald shiner.  Emerald shiners are a staple in LOW and walleyes love them.  Other minnows worked also, but emerald shiners are a favorite of anglers for good reason.   The Lighthouse Gap area, Morris Point Gap and just in front of Pine Island held nice fish in 17 - 21' of water.  Various schools of walleyes and saugers across the south shore.     A quarter ounce jig in gold, glow white, pink, orange, chartreuse, or a combo of these colors tipped with a minnow worked well again.   Some big pike and jumbo perch being caught by walleye anglers. On the Rainy River...  Some nice walleyes were caught on the river this weekend, although most anglers normally head to the lake.  12 - 15' of water is holding some nice fish.   Sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River is closed until the keep season starts up again July 1st. Up at the NW Angle...  Some nice walleyes being caught along with a mixed bag.  12 - 25 feet of water.  Points, neck down areas and bays with warming water were holding good fish this week.    The go-to presentation was a jig and minnow as on the south shore.  A mixed bag as is common around the Angle.  
    • leech~~
      Nice work!   Here's two words you hardly ever hear anyone say anymore.  "grateful and humbled"   
    • Brianf.
      RLG, thanks for the shout-out!     Jeff and I are still trying to wrap our heads around what happened this past weekend.  We are humbled and full of gratitude  for having won 'The Classic' for a second time.     We practiced through all the rain on Thurs and the wind on Friday and found six different spots holding big fish.  Fishing was good on both days with several 'overs' in our catch...but would it hold up for another day?   We didn't know.     On tourney day, we made a long run to our first spot where I lucked out on a 26.5"er on my second cast.  Jeff followed up with a thick 27" er a few minutes later, which turned out to be the big fish for the event at 7.26lbs.  We finished out our limit and weighed-in at 10:30 am for the welfare of the fish in our livewell.    There were some big weights in this event which would have won in most other years, but - for whatever reason - this was our day.  Everything just went our way.  Again, we are just super grateful and humbled by this success.  We also want to congratulate all the other anglers who did well and give a big 'thank you' to the tournament organizers who put on such a great event!  
    • SkunkedAgain
      I had a good start to the season on opener. Fishing was slow but consistent. I had four eaters in the box by lunch dragging perch raps. Crappies were biting. I haven't been up since so don't know how things have changed since then, but I'm sure the walleye continue to migrate out into the main basins.
    • redlabguy
      Let’s start this by congratulating Brianf and son for winning their second City Autoglass Walleye Classic last weekend. These guys know how to fish.  We just got to the lake for the season. Chores are almost done and I’m ready to fish.  red(new dog is more yellow)labguy
    • Jetsky
      I tried starting a 2024 Lake Vermilion Fishing Report topic but it doesn't show up on this board.   Maybe somebody else knows how to do it?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.