• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm torn -- Jet outboard vs. tunnel hull prop boat

riverbasher

I need some honest opinions here guys. I am going to be shopping for a new boat within the next year or so, and I am really torn between getting an outboard jet, or getting a tunnel hull with a prop motor. Can some of you share your experiences with tunnel hulls?

My brother has a jet outboard, and the only thing I don't like is how it tends to get clogged up if you find weeds, especially if I want to run it on a lake

Why not an inboard jet? cool.gif RiverPros are soooo cool. I'm guessing cost is the factor, though.

Sorry, can't help with the outboard jet vs. tunnel hull prop question.

Can't quite afford a RiverPro. Believe me I'd love to have one.

I'm certain Kevin Turner will chime in on this. He is without question the authority on river running (prop and jet) and might even have some new stuff to talk about.

Quote:

Can't quite afford a RiverPro. Believe me I'd love to have one.

You and me both! Right now, my Grumman canoe fits my budget nicely grin.gif

I'm a touched biased..lol.

Very general rule of thumb: If ya wanna run shallow 70% & lake 30% I'd go jet...Vice versa: Tunnel prop...

Tunnel prop doesn't do either great but, does both well enuff to git by. My .02

A friend of mine has operated the one with the tunnel that the fire department has in St. Cloud. He prefers the flat bottom big time over the tunnel. I've never been in a tunnel but I sure like my flat jon with the 25 horse outboard jet.

I have a tunnel hull with a an outboard jet drive and I wouldn't do it again. If you are going to be spending much time on the river buy a RiverPro.

If you want something that can run on lakes as well you need to buy a outboard jet. Get the regular outboard and then get the jetfoot attachment, that way you can switch it out when you want to run a prop.

I own an inflatable boat designed for a 25hp Jet, I can run Alaskan rivers with 2 inches of water with that jet combo. I also take my inflatable out into the Bearing Sea Halibut fishing, when I do this I take the Jet foot off and put the prop lower unit back on. It is a little more expensive but it is the way to go. Buy a regular motor and then buy the jet foot. You will not be disappointed this way.

If you fish the river get a jet. I have a jon with 25H prop and when the water is high no problems. But when that summer drought hits or just low water IT SUCKS. Granted my top speed is way faster on a prop, but when I'm crawling along a boulder field at .5 MPH that's when I think of a jet. I will have a jet one day. Prolly not this year though.

Ebass the Jet foot for a 25hp motor is only about 1300 bucks. check it out.

Unless you want to run a lake like mille lacs I wouldnt even worry about keeping the lower unit, I run lakes all the time with mine and rarely have a problem, even in 1-2 foot chop..... me and MSRD were on the Miss in Anoka this spring in 3 foot whitecaps and it never cavitated once. My only advice if you get a jet is set it up right, and forget the tunnel for a jet, I run pretty shallow without (4") one and you dont have to go through the pain of setting it up!!

My boat is only worth 3G's though. That would be cool to have that option, but I also want speed. I think I just need a whole new/used boat with a big ol jet on there.

Thanks for all the input guys. I think a jet outboard with a modified V hull is in my future

One good option you could also consider is to find yourself an older tracker with a sport jet. I personally chose a RiverPro. I closely examined the tracker option because they're reasonably priced, and most importantly have a much much lighter powerplant which can be a significant issue when trying to run shallow water. Good Luck!

[Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you very much]

Quote:

Thanks for all the input guys. I think a jet outboard with a modified V hull is in my future

New or used & budget?

Fishermann222, where can you find the Jet Foot attachment, any north metro locations?

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thanks much.]

I can share some info with you as well. I have done regular jets, tunnel jets , etc myself and will give you what I can and tell you where to get the conversion stuff.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Fellows, fellows... I would suggest you all re-read the forum policy again please!

1- Posting an unauthorized link will NOT get you banned however the link will be removed.

2- Questioning site policy in the public forums is frowned upon though! Please use the "Contact Us" link below to address administration with any questions or concerns.

Thanks! Lets get this back on topic!

Well... I don't get that way too often but needed to clear up some wrong assumptions.

How was the fishing last night anyway? blush.gif

frown.gif We had the same luck as you, I hear. You guys must have scared them out of that spot. Dtro did get one channel just as we were pulling up.

big yims I found mine up here where I live in Alaska, but any dealer will be able to order the jet foot attchment for you.

[Note from admin: Please be sure to read forum policy before posting again. Thanks much.]

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm going with an outboard jet after all, with a 3" tunnel hull specifically designed for jets. I have found both a Lund and a G3 model that I like so far. I

Now I just gotta convince the wife