• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

JUNE Reports?

fish hawk kris

Fished yesterday (Tuesday) from 10:30 to 4:30, started on 9 mile using 8 ft. lindy rigs, only one fish in 1 hour. Moved up to 8 mile and trolled using green and copper colored spinners with crawlers. Ended up with 9 fish between 22" and 25" inches with a few misses. I think the bite slowed a little, but it could have been the cold front that moved through.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aanderud

• JDM

• vaneeck

• LovenLifeGuy

How are the bugs? Is it tolerable to be on the lake? Was heading up tomorrow but my wife really doesn't like to have swarms of no-seeums or whatever they're. Any updates? Thx.

Intro to Mille Lacs Summer Trolling (for vaneeck and anyone else).

When I pull plugs at this time of year it is in open water. I am not fishing any kind of structure like breaks on the flats or anything like that --- I am fishing the bugs, bait and fish I see on my sonar (and sometimes fish that are even higher in the water column, that spook away from the boat before the sonar can mark them).

On Sunday I caught fish on baits running 20, 26, and 30 feet down over 35 feet of water. Reef Runners and Deep Tail Dancers are good baits for this, no need to add any weight to the line with those baits.

I started in an area where there was a lot of stuff on the graph and picked up 3 fish right away. As I swung to the west and then to the south I marked less and less bugs and bait on my sonar, and we only got 1 or 2 fish in the next hour. So I pulled lines and ran back to the area where I was marking lots of bugs and bait and suspended fish and got on them right away again (barely got the lines set before the next fish hit).

Don't be afraid to get away from the other boats and cover some water. Keep your eyes on your electronics and try to run your baits at or slightly above the fish (this is where line counter reels and the Precision Trolling book really pay off). Good luck.

Out on 6/30 mid-lake flat, caught 20 fish for two guys (only 2 keepers) most 21.5-24 and one 27.5. Lots of active fish on top and along first edge in 22-24' leeches and lindys worked well, snells from 3-7ft long. Missed some other fish, overall very nice day. Pulled spinners for awhile only one fish that way.

3 of us were up saturday and we spent the first half of the day muskie fishing. We saw a couple early, had a good one on about 42-43" or so, but when the sun came out that was the end of the action. So about 4pm we were set up bobber fishing the mud and did really well until we got off the lake about 11pm. We caught a total of 28 walleyes, 11 nice 15-18 1/2"ers and 13 between 21-26". After dark we had a problem missing fish, we must have missed a dozen bites that we actually put the hook into the fish for a split second and it came free, anyone else find this also? It was my friends first time on Mille Lacs so they left wanting too come back again soon.

was out on the 3rd and got nothing but a couple of perches. was on the flat around 4 1/2 mile. jigged, spinners with leeches & crawlers but nothin.

7/5 - various flats, 14 fish, 8,16,16,21,22,22,23,23,25,25,25,26,26, and a personal best 28. Leeches, #8 red hook on a 7 ft. leader with a orange sinker. Most fish came back-trolling into the wind. .4 MPH was the magic speed. The fish bit in streaks and when they did, it was fast and furious. A terrific day on the lake, considering that I couldn't find anyone who could get off of work that day to go with me.

JDM

did you find your fish on top of the flats or on the bottom. Also am curious if you use an inline floater with your snell.

On that day, they were towards the edges, yet on top on the windward side in 25 ft. I did mark some fish suspended in the deeper water just off of the flat and saw some other guys catch some of those with cranks. If a flat slowed, I moved to another one and tried to avoid the crowds, which isn't always easy.

I am finding that on really windy days, they are on the tops, moderatly windy towards the edges or on the down slope, and if it is calm, on the down slope or just off of them. No in line flat, but I did have a red bead. I have used floating jig heads with a good deal of success this year though. Every day is different!

Anyone have any luck on 8 mile? Iam heading there tuesday. Thought I'd start there.

Tough fishing for me and the misses today. Weather was great, not sure why we couldn't catch much. Tried 6 flats - Curly's, 3 Mile, Seguchi, Banana, Busters, Rockpile. Caught 2 'eyes, 17 and 19 inches, plus a couple perch. One on a leech/lindy rig with 9 foot snell and pink hook (yeah yeah...pink isn't red, but my wife wanted 'cute'), one on a crawler/spinner/bouncer combo. Tried slow, fast, deep, shallow, leeches, worms, jigs, lindy's, spinners, cranks. Didn't try all bait combos on all flats, but did try all depths... Argh, couldn't get a steady bite on anything. Marked tons of bait and 'eyes on the graph, plus some suspended things that were uber-long above the baitfish schools here and there -- skis maybe?

I saw a total of 6 fish caught in other boats besides mine, so if there was hot action, I'm not sure where. Granted, we were generally trying to fish off by ourselves, but there were times when there were half-dozen or more boats in net-view range. Maybe it's hot on 8 mile, 7 mile, 9 mile, or the far north flats maybe....Anyone out today on the mud have any success?

I saw launches drifting, bobbering, and trolling...first time ever that I've seen Terry's launch trolling against the wind. Not sure if they were pulling spinners or crankbaits, but seemed to be going crankin speed. I guess with only 4 ppl on board you are more free to do just about anything.

It's been a while since I've had a summer in MN (lived in IA for 6 years now til I moved back to the northland in December)....how is late July fishin on the pond? Still get a few on the mud, I would guess? I'm just wondering what 2 weeks from now will bring, I've got a buddy coming up from Iowa to hit it with me for his first time on the 22nd.

Hey AA

From one fellow (Contact Us Please) Out Wandering Around to another, as we get later in July the walleye fishing will get more difficult. Would suggest options to cover water, (spinners/Cranks) or bobbers by moonlight. Best recomendation is take what your given that time of year...smallie fishing tends to improve as the Walleye bite slows.