• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Little advice from folks familiar with the area?

I'm hoping/planning to come to Detroit Lakes during Memorial weekend. Looking for a campground close to a good fishing lake, either DL or one not TOO far away? Like to get up and out fishing in the morning so don't want to be parked in a field somewhere? Like a good kayaking lake where the wind won't have me paddling too much to fish! ANY help appreciated! (telling me the fishing hotspots too is probably too much to ask huh?? LOL)

There is a decent resort out on Meadow Lake south of DL about 4 miles 1 mile south of We Fest. Nice little lake and there are some trout in there if your willing to go for them. But i don't know the name of the resort.

Floyd lakes have acouple resorts on them if your Madsens and some others are around there. Never stayed there but have heard good things.

That's all I got

Code-Man

If you are planning on pitching a tent?!? Swannies on Middle C has some tent spots available and a nice little bar and friendly regulars. As far as good fishing spots..well..I haven't found them yet. cool.gif

Tell me more about Middle C and Swannies! Pitching a tent on any site I can find at this point. You don't happen to have their phone number do you? that sounds good!

AH HA! Got their phone number, now to call them when I get home at noon! Hope they have nice tent site available. THANKS! Stayed at a campground in Devils Lake ND last summer and NOT kidding, the site was at the far end of the campground, farthest from the water, wide out in the open, no trees, by a low hedge with a house on the other side, a quanset next to the tent that had a light on it that flicked on and off all night. Fishing was good though!

Nice sand swimming beach near by as well. With the way the spring has been, it may not be too cold to swim.

Nice bobber fishin accross the road as well.

Have fun.

Give us a report.

Still trying the phones to reach them, hoping to hear back from them. Left my number, will try more tomorrow. If I have good luck I'll sure say thanks, plan to try several lakes with the kayak, but want a base camp to come back too. Have to stop in to meet the friendly regulars at the local pub.

Give them a call this weekend. I believe they are opening this weekend. Ask for Brad Swanson. Good Guy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd let you know our plans changed and we ended up at Big Floyd lake over Memorial weekend, WHAT a blast, the smallies were biting like wild things, we actually had fish latch onto our hooks while we were just hanging the lure along the kayaks talking! I caught one while I was paddling along with my lure in the water along the kayak! It was a total rush, every cast we caught something and had several strikes with each return and almost a fish per cast. We fished for hours and it was hard to leave, but we had to load up and go. There were also a couple nice northerns caught by us, I had one swim past the yak so close that I could see his fin sticking out of the water, about 5 to 6 lbs I'd guess. Nice fish! We tried Lake Sallie also and caught a few nice smallies and my partner had his swivel straightened right out and the line ripped off by something big! He was just sick at missing that one.

Our weekend was a great time. We are certainly going back. Now we want to try catfish on the Red! Anyone know a hotspot??

Quote:

We tried Lake Sallie also and caught a few nice smallies

since when did Sallie get smallmouth???? Am I missing something ? confused.gif

glad to hear you had a great time fishing yakkingal!

I don't believe Floyd has them either, maybe mistaking them with brother largemouth?

Well this is what is funny, we were having a great time catching and releasing the fish and we had a few folks near us asking why were were letting such nice smallmouths go? They told us that they had been keeping smaller fish than we let go. Don't laugh, but I'd never caught bass before, walleye, northerns and silver bass mostly here by Valley City and I wondered if they were large or smallmouth myself? They sure looked like the photos of the smallmouth though? My partner had thought they were largemouth at first and that WE were wrong when those folks asked us that question? Now I'm really wondering! LOL All we knew was they were fun to catch and nice size fish. Nothing trophy but we sure had fun with them. Now I have to go back to the book and look up the differance again! Didn't have one along to check with and of course forgot the camera in the truck that night. I've never heard of rock bass?

WELL after I went back and looked up pics they clearly WERE largemouth! SO we were truly fooled by the folks who told us they were smallies. This even though we really thought they were largemouth at first ourselves! DUH! In my defense, I AM blonde??

• 1 month later...

NOPE, they were largemouths according to every picture of them I have been able to find and what I've been reading. It was funny because here in Valley at Ashtabula we actually caught a smallmouth bass a couple weekends ago. Red eye and all. Totally differant look. Don't know how we got confused in the first place. DUH~! smile.gif Like I said, we had thought they were largemouth and someone else told us they weren't and we assumed they knew better. That'll learn us! Ashtabula is GREEN now and I'm missing the MN beautiful clear lakes and the loons. Hope to get back for a few more trips this summer and fall. Also still planning on checking out that campground I was told about in my original post asking for help! Thanks again for that info.

a buddy and I were at the access on big c one evening when a guy started asking how we did. we told him we had caught a few. he began telling us how him and his wife and his son had caught a limit of crappies. he was so proud of his catch that he just had to show them to us . when he reached into his bucket and pulled out a nice big rock bass.

We just smiled and told him nice catch. Didn't have the heart to tell him they weren't crappies. so now when ever we catch a rock bass we have a little laugh.

• 2 weeks later...

I-hole --

Great story I wish more people would take out some of those yummy "Crappies" cool.gif