• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

coon rapids dam

oh alright, do you guys fish w/ worms on the bottom? and where do u usually fish? i usually fish for carp from the boat launch.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• reinhard1

• e1teen93

• slipperybob

• mrklean

Went out tonight below the small dam. No water coming over so it was real still. Hooked up with something big on a shiner under my lighted bobber. Got it up to shore after a 10 minute fight, thought the fight was over, and it made another run and broke me off at the bobber.

I normally rig up for a slip bobber, but I rigged it with the spring since I was only running 2ft deep. I got to watch a real big pike or nice Musky (judging by the hell it kicked up near the shore) swim away with my bobber, then it popped off. Stupid $7 bobber sitting there floating 15 ft away and no way to get it.

sounds like fun.. sucks u lost the fish tho, where were u fishin in only 2 feet of water below the small dam? it seems like everything is deeper around that area? do you have a lot of success using minnows around there, i've never tried that, in the summer, i fished there a ton, casted my tackle box at the pike there, but no takers, maybe its cuz the water was too warm???

• 5 months later...

drove down to the coon rapids dam today and took a look ant lake cenaiko also. the boat landing area is still locked up with ice but the river is flowing heavily above the dam and the water is rushing out below the main dam as well. the coon rapids side of the dam is still froze up along with the backwaters up to the main river area. lake cenaiko has some water on it along the shoreline and i saw one person fishing on the ice for trout. as soon as the ice leaves the coon rapids side of the dam area and the backwaters there should be some action for crappies near the dam and catfish and carp by the dam and in the backwaters. good luck.

Thanks for the info reinhard1.

I've never fished there, but checked it out and chatted w/ some guys fishing the area. Don't know if I'll ever try it, but it's in the back of my mind.

once that area [i call it the slow side of the dam] coon rapids side, thaws out the crappies should be stacked good near the dam wall. i've never kept any but some are up to 10in. there. has anyone kept any and if you did how were they. i always see people catching and keeping small channel cats there also. anywhere from 12 to 16 inches. i have cought bigger ones down further in the backwaters. fun place to fish early in the year. just not brave enough to eat any. good luck.

I used to eat fish out of there all the time, but haven't for years. I just fish for fun pretty much now.

that's what i do, fish for fun there. i usualy go there with my grandkids so they can tangle with the carp and channel cats. the fish are probably good to eat there but just dont have the zimmerman in me yet for that. good luck.

stopped by the dam today. at the boat landing, it's almost all open. there were a couple of guys fishing there. on the coon rapids side [the slow side] it's breaking up pretty good. i did not see anyone fishing there on the walkway although there was an area about 20 foot were you can fish. by the end of the backwater there is a lot of room to fish off shore. good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

i think that update i made was april 8th grin. but the "quiet side" should be ready to go now. still a lot of high water below the dam but the backwater area is fishable plus the bay in the boat landing. good luck.

do you get a lot of cats in the "quiet side"? I ran over there once last year walleye fishing with a buddy but didn't try for cats

i think that update i made was april 8th grin. but the "quiet side" should be ready to go now. still a lot of high water below the dam but the backwater area is fishable plus the bay in the boat landing. good luck.

Ha! Good Point... Just got back from 'bama, think my mind was still down there drinkin sweet tea and rollin in bbq sauce.

• 2 weeks later...

do you get a lot of cats in the "quiet side"? I ran over there once last year walleye fishing with a buddy but didn't try for cats

Sometimes you do, many 12-14" kitties.

• 3 weeks later...

The catfish are biting on the quiet slackwater. The sheepshead and suckers are biting in the current side.

Mostly little ones, but I did catch a few decent sized ones running into the 20"+.

Just use a worm and sinker, and you're set! have any luck lately with smallies near the dam at all? I'll probly head down there this weekend.

oh true, my bad, its this weekend right? Don't worry, i haven't been bass fishin yet.

I haven't tried any bass fishing. LOL's I've seen people catch quite a few smallies crappie or walleye fishing. Everyone I've seen is releasing them back.

• 3 weeks later...

I was down there the other day just to walk around. Lots of fishermen, no one catching a thing. Lots of carp jumping in the slack water side below the dam, I assume spawning behavior.

I was down there the other day just to walk around. Lots of fishermen, no one catching a thing. Lots of carp jumping in the slack water side below the dam, I assume spawning behavior.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

i went down to the boat landing at the dam for awhile with my wife and grandson. just to pass some time and hoping i could my grandson on some big carp. well it was a little slow for awhile so having taken his bike along he hit the trails while my wife and i soaked up the sun. we had some hits but they let go quick. then i actualy had a small muskie take my nightcrawler and ended up cutting my line near shore. i seen the red hook on the jaw so i think he will be alright. well my grandson came back just in time to land a nice sucker and had a good fight.

a few people out there out on the river with boats and jet skies mainly. grandson wanted to hit the wave pool on bunker one more time before he had to go home after a week with us. so my wife took him there and i'm doing the grill thing. cant get enough of my grandkids. good luck.

i believe above the dam. right on the boat landing above the dam there is a sign indicating muskies in the water with the size restrictions and all the rest. first time i noticed the sign, for i normaly dont stand right at the landing and fish on the grass a little up from there. i lost a nice smallie on a frog during a jump also while there. i worked it near the shoreline just messin around prior to switching over to crawlers for suckers and carp. good luck.

reinhard- do you go out mornings? or any time of day? because i've never caught carp there before. I've tried a few times, but all in the middle of the day.