• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A friend of mine told me he saw a wolverine up around MacFarland Lake by Hovland a couple of weeks ago. He said that he is sure that it was a wolverine (too big and stalky to be a fisher and it had a short tail).

I didn't think there were wolverines in Minnesota. Just curious if anyone else has ever spotted one or heard of one being seen.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Closest thing to a Wolverine I've see is stfcatfish when he hasn't had his lunch. Or maybe he's more like a badger.
I could be wrong but I believe there were wolverines in northern Mn at one time. In fact the devil in Devils Track Lake is a wolverine.

I could have been. Thats a wild area up there. Canada is not that far away. They have a home range larger than 250 miles, so it could be passing through.

coxgulo6.jpg

Gulo Gulo or the "Indian Devil" are supposed to be very rare in Quebec and Ontario. Montana, Idaho, Washington, and Maine are suposed to hold some. Really cool critter though and who knows, with Mountain Lions wandering around up here....could have been. The Mountain Lion and Grizzly are its only natural enemies. One bad weasel!!!

chunky

[This message has been edited by chunkytrout (edited 10-05-2003).]

Hey S.T.: I resemble that remark. rolleyes.gif

Hey Chunk: Nice pic of me. You got my good side! grin.gif

I'm willing to believe it, although I might need a bit more convincing. But predators aren't fond of being seen by people, so I have no problem believing some unusual ones may be around.

There have been confirmed cougar sightings near Ely this year, as well as the one that was shot outside Duluth last year.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 10-05-2003).]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 10-06-2003).]

Could be...I was talking to a friend of my neighbor's this past weekend, he is from Chisago Lakes area and says he saw one while he was out bow hunting.

Fish On! grin.gif
The Fishin' Engineer

saw one about 10 years ago deer hunting around the Cotton area, was kind of scary to say the least! Awesome sight tho!

I have seen wolverines several times in various locations throughout NE Minnesota. Near Tower and Ely, also up around Buyck.

Cashcrews

Was up on Basswood with the wife in July/2000 and spotted critter swimming from Lincoln to Washington island. We went closer with the electric motor to see and discovered it was a Wolverine . Followed it at a safe distance and when it hit the shore we got a full view and was a Wolverine for sure. When we got back to La Tourell's at the end of the day, I described it to Jeep La Tourell ( 3rd generation hunter & trapper) and he confirmed my description as being a Wolverine. Jeep also said that our sighting was a rare encounter for that area.

I wouldn't doubt that there might be one making his way through here. Like protrapper said they have quite a home range and will move quite a long way to find some grub. I bet it might be like the lynx and puma, just making it's way back into it's historical home range.
><>deadeye

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
pinemarten_a.JPG
Martin

ma0033_1m.jpg
Fisher

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 10-08-2003).]

Trap plenty of them marten and fisher every year. If it was a devil bear that would be its southern most limit. They need cold temps to survive. They think most of there numbers are declining because of global warming.