• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who's going Turkey hunting

strat-o-caster

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I leave for the Black Hills tommorrow night. I'll be hunting by Thursday noontime. No... I'm not excited. wink.gif I'm estatic! laugh.gif

My season starts next Monday, 17th, but I'm waiting until Wednesday to go. I really have the itch and the urge to take off Monday and Tuesday, or at least be sick.

I will be heading down to KY on the 18th. I was one of two wounded soldiers that were chosen for guided turkey hunts. Should be a blast! Got my first pheasants last fall with my new arm and hopefully a turkey will be checked off aswell.

Headed Hill climbing for the Merriam next week.....you guys are killing me with stories of the long beards, spurs, and 27 lb birds....oh my!

The Hills are calling.....sounds of Merriam's echo off the cliffs, soon we will be among the dark forests, roaming elk, whitetails the size of labs, and I'll be thanking myself for my preseason bike-a-thons.

Good luck to everyone and congrats to those who bagged their birds already!

Anyone back from the snowy Black Hills?? I've been watching the weather out there......YIKES!! Feet of snow and 20+ degrees BELOW normal.....gota love the Hills in the spring!!

Sounds like we got out of the hills just in time all we got in Custer was rain. Birds are very henned up and there's lots of breeding going on. Check out the burn area from 6 years ago between Custer and Jewel Cave. Lots of birds there right now.

I have a tag for 346 E ooo.gif I have never hunted SE MN. I purchesed it over the counter as left over licenses. Can anyone tip me off to some landowners who allow hunters regularly on thier property. I would be hunting alone. Please send me a private message rather than on the main board. I may be able to get someone out muskie fishing in the metro area in exchange for some good leads wink.gif I have hunted turkeys 2 times and helped out last year as well with a friend. I know it is realy late in the game to start this process. I had planned to head down 2 weeks ago and work came up. Good Luck to everyone on their remaining hunts and BE SAFE! Thanks for the help. You guys are a great resource cool.gif I have been following this board all winter. I finally got my ID issues resolved so I can post.

First of all welcome to the site as a registered poster.

Check out the landowner permit winners for your area. It's late but some may have openings or know others in the area that may allow hunting on their property. Otherwise drive around and look for birds and knock on doors. A plat book really helps with this.

Good Luck!

Borch,

1st off Thank you. I am still planning on heading down possibly the weekend of the "D" season to check out the area and knock on some doors. I have never been down in that country before. I am looking for the road trip experince. I have some possible leads outside of this site as well. I plan on going to the library 1st thing and making copy's of the plat book for some areas. I also have some topo maping software and the DNR photos that I can access to finalize my plans and not go in blind for the actual hunt. I would also have plenty of time to lend a hand if someone needed the help.

P.S. I want to send a THANK YOU out to the MN DNR, The NWTF volunteers who made the YOUTH HUNTS possible. My daughter was lucky enought to participate in the MN River Valley Youth Hunt cool.gif

I'll be leaving next Wednesday night, the 26th, for Lanesboro to hunt gobblers for 4 days. I can't wait! It's been about four years since I've hunted this area. It's unbelievable country and I'm excited to get out there to hear those gobbles ring out throughout the valley.

Dads out right now, I'd be tagging along, but worked late last night and prom tonight figured I better leave the woods alone today and sleep. I'm hunting the 5th season, 5 years in a row now I have managed to get a permit, still haven't bagged a bird, dad hasn't either unless he scored this morning. I guess turkey hunting isn't really my game, but I just like to get out and chase something around for 5 days in the spring. Nothing beats showing up late to first hour in camo anyways....

Riverrat:

Keep at it! I struck out the first year or two myself. Once you take a bird or two, you won't be calling it "my-game," you'll be "THE-game."

E-season is traditionally one of my favorites. I'll be hunting it too.

Good luck to you,

Joel

I usually hunt E or F seasons. Usually the second gobbling peal is kicking in around then. This year I'll be hunting D season. So just a few more days to wait. wink.gif

Quote:

Bring your snow shoes!

No need for snow shoes if he hunts the southern portion of the hills. They only received another 3-4 inches. That and the previous snow is already mostly gone. I'd just avoid the northern hills as my first stop. wink.gif

I'm use to it, we just got rid of ours about two weeks ago!

I don't know what I'm going to do with the 8 sleddogs I just rented for the weekend! blush.gif

Only had snow the first 2 days of our hunt....gone after that. It was a rough one, but tons of fun!

Going out tomorrow for the MN "E" season with my kid-brother. smile.gif

Hopefully after all this weather, the birds will be gobbling hard come Tues.

Joel