• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What's Working For You Now?

waxed em on an area lake last night with jumbo leeches on a jig in 12 to 18 feet, went to itasca this morning and things were slow to say the least only managed a couple of eyes the bass and northerns were hungery today though. Jonah

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MuskyBug85

• supserdave

• archer59

• BobOmaha

hahahha i wish, i would make a mint if i could put people on walleyes on the HOOK, hope to see you when your up. Jonah

How many of you rememeber when Fullers use to display fish caught in the area, in their front window on ice? Well before the Pizza Hut was built... shocked.gif

Nick

Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me...

Have been going up to the area for nearly 50 years now. Lotsa changes in that time. I still have some VERY OLD Fuller's Golden Books (from their fishing contests).

We'd usually arrive in PR (after a long drive from Omaha), and THAT WINDOW was the first place us kids headed!! It would always get us pumped-up... and couldn't WAIT to get to the lake and our lines wet.

Funny, but... never really caught anything that was "window-worthy" in all those years. Still... the MEMORIES that I have, and now my kids have, and some day - my grandkids will have are worth every minute we've spent.

Thanks for the opportunity to go down that "memory-lane"... grin.gif

Park Rapids has changed alright. Good for the locals, not so good for those of us that knew it before the changes. I remember when the Pizza Hut went in, I thought what's this town coming to. ( I was about 20 years old at the time )Then when the Antler closed ... that was a shame. Anyway, I usually stay out of town unless I have to go in for something. Can't catch fish in town. grin.gif

Nick

Oh... the memories that I have. I remember when Dorsett was "just Dorsett"!! <lol>

Have always stayed at area resorts... a "tourist" ya know. I remember when all the resort boats were wood!! Leakin' sob's... <g> Standard equipment was a can or other type jug to bale water. Long before trolling motors and had to "row" (yeah, with OARS) to move along the weed beds to fish for bass.

No such things as "plastics", spinner/buzz-baits, etc. You either fished top-water with Jitterbugs and Hula Poppers or used live bait. No livewells... either a stringer or a basket (for pan fish). Yep, them were the days... <sigh>

Don't remember that much about the TOWN per se. Just going to Fullers and the hardware stores lookin' at the fishin' stuff... maybe stop at the Danish bakery (I'm half Danish) for some pumpernickle bread... but other than a few trips to town for necessities, would spend sun-up to sun-down on the water.

I'd save my nickels and dimes all year for that trip... My heart will always be there...

Later.

Thanks Guys, for letting me hijack this thread a while!!

Nick

Ok, I will add a few changes.

1) The city beach with the tower and 2 swimming plat

forms.

2) The sawdust pile next to the foot bridge.

3) King's drive-in. Could get an ice cream cone for 5 cents.

4) Legion turkey bbq over the 4th of July!

5) Logging days at the city beach!

6) Swinging off the ropes at the dam.

7) The old model T car bridge on the fishhook river.

That one is way before my time.

Woody

I will reply to myself.

Dead of winter, bored. Get together with friends and

start throwing snowballs at passing motorist.

Pasting the side of the head of the local police officer,

who at the time was driving by, with the window down,

smoking a grit!

Twenty years later admitting to the act at a DU meeting.

I never knew a retired police officer could come over a

table that fast!

Quote:

I will reply to myself.

Dead of winter, bored. Get together with friends and

start throwing snowballs at passing motorist.

Pasting the side of the head of the local police officer,

who at the time was driving by, with the window down,

smoking a grit!

Twenty years later admitting to the act at a DU meeting.

I never knew a retired police officer could come over a

table that fast!

LOL

Talking to the Mrs. tonight about my memories... (cont'd)

Remember leaving in the middle of the night to get up there (no A/C in the cars back then, so it was cooler to drive at night). The car didn't stop rolling before us kids would be making a bee-line to the Fuller's window.

Grandpa would make a bee-line too... only it was to the Royal for a beer! <lol>

Wife and I ALWAYS stopped at the little privately-owned drive-in (don't remember the name). It was about a mile east of the center of town, on the south side, just past Delany's (the old location) and the grocery store. It was right across the street east of a used/new car lot. The place always advertised for some hotrod group... Minnesota Knights??? Anyway, I'd always get the "Big Don" and a large butterscotch malt.

It's been a few years since our last visit... don't know if it's even still there... confused.gif As "changes" go, it would be a shame if it wasn't...

hit that same "AREA" lake this morning and got six that i could have cleaned, however i havent cleaned any yet this year so why start today. all came on jig and leech combo in 15 feet of water near cabbage.

hit long this morning with the father and we caught walleyes at all three spots we looked at. rigs and leeches produced early and jigs and leeches were the ticket toward the end of the morning. 12 to 18 feet of water. JOnah

Bob,

It was called the "Dixie Drive-in".

Does anyone remember Rod's Grocery?

They had the best sign in town!

You can whip our cream, but you can't beat our meat!

Woody, Thanks... yeah "Dixie" was it. Is it still there?

Don't remember Rod's... although, I'm sure I'd stopped in there at some time over the past 50+ years! <g>

come on guys i know i am not the only one catching fish right now...... lets hear what the rest of you are doing. Jonah

Smallies ate gitzits on mantrap this morning, the father had to practice up his smallie skills to get ready for the up coming Canadian National Bass Championship up on Rainy.

I fished Long all weekend. The action was steady with lots of EYES boated, close to 50. 12 to 16 was the key depth using either NC's or leeches on a rig. The largest being a 27", 7+ lb'er, no camera, so catch measure and release her. Caught several 9 to 13 inchers telling me there is going to be some great fishing in the future. Brought home enough fish to eat and give some to friends and family that aren't as fortunet to be able to get on the lake and enjoy fishing as much as myself. If you like being pestured by bass, I don't, (Eyes only please) this is the lake to do it, nothing big though, lots of 13 inchers. Take plenty of crawlers and leeches. Two guys, I would bring no less than 8 dozen crawlers and 3 dozen leeches. The nice thing about Long is the fish seem to bite all day, we fished from 7 am to 2 pm both Sat. and Sun. and the best time seemed to be about noon. I didn't see to many people catching fish. I noticed alot where ancored or trolling to deep, in the 16 to 18 foot depth or deeper, with little to no luck, need to be ontop or the edge of the 16 foot weed line, though it does vary in places of the lake.

Good luck

Gerry

Sounds like you had a great weekend of fishing! That lake does have a great future for walleyes, but there is also some pigs in there now too.

Last year we could not find a walleye under the 20" mark. We caught alot of 26 +, this year they are harder to find, but the younger crop is coming up. Long runs on cycle of about ever other year you can catch alot of the big pigs, it happens to coencide inbetween the stocking of the lake, they stock the evens, catch the biggins the odds, do good every year though. Long for me has always been a better early (mid june) to mid summer (mid july) lake for myself.

slept in today and took the day off but fromthe sound of things at Delaneys the hot walleye bite is Long she has sprung boys a buddy of mine fished her last night and caught fish on leeches, crawlers and minnows with the biggest being 27 and a half. Jonah

I would like to add my 2 cents here, talk about fair chase. As a fisherman and lived in the area for over 30 years i feel we dont need this type of info put over the internet. Half the fun of fishing is to figure them out, not go to the bait store and hit the lake in a certain depth and start catching eyes, i know the lake is big, but its like putting a billboard out on every lake. So lets keep it to what this post was first started( whats working for you now)sorry if i affended anybody but this is how i feel about it

crappies are being caught on weedlines on Eagle and the walleye bite continues on long in 12 to 18 feet on points. that is all info you can gain by view the fishing report area of this site. its info i as a moderator am encourged to give out because just like Jason said this last winter, just because you know how deep and on what it doesnt mean you are going to hose fish, it is just a good starting point for those folks from out of town who only have a week or two to figure out a body of water and get some fish to bring home and enjoy. those are my thoughts and feelings. sorry i dont fit into the tight lipped group of locals, i feel it is my duty as a member of this site to inform and educate. JONAH WINTER

Us from out of town appreciate your attitude Jonah. I practice catch and release. I come up for a week every year & don't want to spend 2-3 days to figure out the pattern, thanks!

Jonah,I called you last week to see about July 14th-15th.Got a place on the Hook and have been having trouble finding the eyes.Got to try long this weekend.I appreciate your info and will share my experience on Long.Thanks again.

welcome aboard eagle it is great to have you on here, ilook forward to hearing you input in the future. JOnah

i haven't been up to the pr area in 10 yrs but am thinking about coming up next week. what ever happened to the "chateau paulette"??? also, any action on the crow wings (2nd,3rd, or 4th)?? thanks in advance.

jed