• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crooked Lake is my absolute favorite lake in the BWCA. I usually canoe in from Mudro and go down the Horse. I'd say that I make it up in there three or four times a year.

In May, the bottom line is current. Check the narrow areas on the eastern side of the lake for moving water and experiment until you start catching. The fish are there, don't you doubt it.

Crooked is a mixed bag fishery, so bring a variety of tackled to fish different species. And if you make it into Thursday Bay, bring some frozen smelt. There is really deep water in that bay and we stumbled onto some Lake Trout action last spring. It was fun and simple fishing. We put up some rod holders and cast out them out as far as we could and then got to work on our camp chores. When the rods started waving, we reeled em up.

Trock - don't worry about the boat vs canoe thing to much. There's lots of hard feelings and its really easy to "poke the bear". Get there, have fun, the politics will sort itself out...and Crooked Lake will still be there.

Jackpine I think I know what your saying.

Its just goofy how some people in places such as Duluth/Ely/Grand Marais/North Shore that depend on tourists for revenue and livelyhood often times have such a dislike for them. Often times rightfully so but its funny how we form opinions at times isnt it?

I dont care how you get into the Bdub as long as while your there you have a good/safe time and leave it cleaner than you found it!

Surface Tension....

Your absolutely right......

Most people dont know the history of the area, or the fact that the U.S. Forest Service utilizes information from the past.

Example would be Basswood lake and motorized use. It starts off in the spring and more motorized permits are allowed each week until a peak in the middle of the summer when they then decline again to almost none in the very last weeks in the fall.

Heck, there used to be resorts on basswood lake.

Either way you decide to go, its still some outstanding country. I live in Yellowstone Park, WY and still think the northern woods of MN knock it completely out of the water.

The main objective is to have fun while getting where you want to go. Were all different, that is what makes Northern MN so special, you have VNP for motorized or canoe use, the BWCAW for non motorized areas besides a few designated lakes, and then you have the superior National forest outside the BWCAW that has so many recreational opportunities. We alone cant change the way there managed, but we can surely choose how and when we want to partake in an activity. We are lucky to live in a country that offers such.

---Mark