• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Last night the walleys were going crazy. I fished from 3-7:00 on a local lake and just pounded them. Between myself and one other person we caught 8 walleys, and 10 crappies. All of the walleys were between 15" and 19". One of the crappies we caught was 13 1/2". All in all it was one hell of a time out on the lake.

Fishky

Care to mention how deep the fish were? Thinking that the depth might carry over on other area lakes down there.

Sounds like you had a very good time Fishky 06.I would like to hit some good eye fishing,but time is running out.

basscatcher, I was fishing in 19' on the basin of a steep break. All of the walleys that we caught were on deadsticks with a banana jig and a minnow. We tried jigging spoons, and some jigging raps but all they wanted was a plain jig and a minnow sitting right in their face. The crappies that we got were a little more aggressive they were anywhere from 6' to 10' off the bottom and they would hit anything you put down there. I had my best luck on the crappies with a # 6 fat boy with just the tail of a fathead. Along with all the fish we did catch we had about 4 more walleys that came off in the hole when we were attempting to grab them...tuff luck but we still had a great night.

Fishky

Thanks for the info. That's a darn good night on the walleyes for this time of year.

How was the ice on the lake you were at? Thick enough for full-size trucks?

There was about 17" of ice where i was. I drove my full size chevy out there, and other people on the lake had their trucks out. I would say that you're good to go, just be safe as always.

Thanks for letting me know. Going to try and get out tomorrow and give it a go if everything works out.

Great post! Speaking of walleye, I read that the MN Legislature extended the fishing season for walleye and pike one week this year. I'm curious as to why they did that. Does anyone know? (I'm all for it of course...especially if it brings more tourism to Minnesota) Thanks.

From what I can tell by what I have read, the DNR was interested in seeing if there was any increase in harvest by extending the season. Maybe it will become a permanent thing?