• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Daunte on the trading block.....

Mudcat21

In three weeks, the speculation will be over. The Vikings have tested the market and no one is willing to give up a second-round draft pick for DC. After it happens, even Sid Hartman will say it is a good decision to cut DC and pay the $6 million March roster bonus.

Let's all wait out the draft and see who is still in the personnel office. We've seen too many years of drafting the best player named "Dwayne" for several people to keep their jobs.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nofishfisherman

• cybermuskie

• John Mickish

• JIvers

Quote:

However, if you have a good player would you cut him just becuase he doesn't fit a certain style of play? I don't think so. If C-pep had a decent year and Childress came in and wanted to use the west coast style do you think he would still want to get rid of him? No, that would be stupid, you don't cut a good player just becuase you think his style isn't perfect. You adapt your style to match his skills.

Seems to me the Vikings have been doing this and it's getting them nowhere. DC is the one that needs to adapt.

The news just reported that the Vikes have been talking with Baltimore and Miami.

DC is a great athlete, but I can't see throwing anymore money at him. When I heard he was asking for 10 million, I began to wonder if he didn't want to be traded.

Here's the report MetroJoe is talking about from ESPN Insider:

Dolphins, Ravens eyeing Culpepper

<Feb. 21> According to the Miami Herald, the Dolphins have held talks with the Vikings about a possible trade involving Culpepper. While no trade can be finalized until March 3, negotiations and a verbal agreement could occur any time.

The Vikings are reportedly seeking a second-round pick for the 29-year old quarterback, who missed the final nine games of last season with a significant knee injury.

The Ravens, who have also been mentioned as potential suitors, were contacted by the Vikings, but Baltimore general manager Ozzie Newsome told the Baltimore Sun on Monday that no negotiations have "officially" taken place and no deal was imminent. Newsome did not rule out the possibility that the issue could be revisited.

Meanwhile, ESPN.com's John Clayton claims if the Vikings can't work out a trade by March 17, when Culpepper is due a $6 million roster bonus, the team might consider cutting him.

Culpepper angered owner Zygi Wilf by asking that approximately $10 million be added to his contract this season -- increasing his total 2006 compensation to a staggering $18 million. Culpepper contends the Vikings promised last summer to address his contract further after the 2005 season; the team has denied that claim.

Oakland and the New York Jets are also among the teams expected to pursue quarterbacks this offseason. However, Culpepper's health remains a question mark. The Pro Bowl quarterback will be unable to practice until the summer at the earliest and a team taking Culpepper would have to view him as a starter for 2007 and consider playing time in 2006 a bonus.

Quote:

Looks like Drew Brees is going to be a free agent.

I'm not that jazzed about Brees. I know you guys only use win's to judge how good a QB is and he only lead his team to one good year. And he was carried by a stud of a RB and TE. Other then that some not so good years, and he couldn't win in the playoff's either.

So based on all of the arguements people have used to argue against C-Pep Brees isn't worth it either.

Quote:

Quote:

Looks like Drew Brees is going to be a free agent.

First off I think he was just stating a fact! From that statement I never took away from it that he was saying the Vikes should go after him!

Let's change gears here for a minute. Let's say they do get rid of C-Pep. Who should they go after in the draft? I really see the Vikes grabbing a QB somewhere. I would really love it if Jay Cutler slipped that far, but I don't think he will. In later rounds I think Brodie Croyle, Alabama looks interesting. But some mocks I have seen have us taking Omar Jacobs, Bowling Green. Anyway, if we are in need of a QB who's the fan favorite???

I know that previous post sounded a little harsh, I reread it after posting and it didn't come across right. I was just trying to show that by the standards people are using here to judge a QB alot of decent QB's can look pretty bad. Even if you use the arguement about being able to win the big game Peyton Manning is then done for. Baiscally any QB not named Brady is bad according to alot of logic used here. But on a note of maybe some positivity...

I think if they do get rid of C-Pep I would rather them go after Matt Shaub from the Falcons then draft someone in the 2nd -3rd round. He is a free agent next year so you would need to trade for him and then sign him to an extension. I think he is the guy that could get the job done here. I would actually take him over C-Pep I think. He knows the west coast offense, and he can run pretty well when needed.

If they could trade Pep for a high enough pick and then trade that pick and maybe another low rounder to Atlanta for Shaub I would be fairly content. I just don't want them to trade Pep for nothing.

Hope you don't mind me posting these stories as I find them.

Daunte Culpepper: Dolphins Interested

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Update: Miami and Minnesota have talked about a trade that would send Culpepper to the Dolphins, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports. Culppeper is recovering from major knee surgery.

Recommendation: Culpepper trade talk continues with Baltimore also said to have talked specifics in the past week. There has been a report that the Vikings are asking for only a second-round pick in return, but the report on the possible Dolphins trade indicates the Vikings would receive more. Culpepper has asked for a $10 million raise this offseason despite his uncertain medical outlook, his poor performance last season and his off-field problems. It looks like the Vikings are doing all they can to trade him before he's due a $6 million reporting bonus on March 20.

Cyber-

I dont mind them at all, nice to get the inside scoops.

Either way I just want a Vikings team to watch on Sundays. It has always been tough with so many fumbles and interceptions.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Keep up the good work Cyber I love following these things!

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/266197.html

Here is the lastest from the Star Tribune. Sounds like the media may have over blown some stuff. If he is willing to move his roster bonus to help the team that doesn't seem like an act of someone asking for a trade.

I wonder where the reports came from that said the vikes have talked with the ravens and dolphins? Or if it was all just speculation during a slow news week.

I would bet that the vikes have talked to thoses other teams. There are to many media types reporting it for me to believe it was made up. then I found this tidbit today:

"Culpepper's progress may trigger trade

<Feb. 23> Culpepper is making very good progress in rehabilitating his right knee, and he should be ready to play football this season, which is positive news for any team interested in trading for him, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports. "

Maybe that article in The Trib was the calm before the storm. Kinda like how they said they had no plans of trading Moss.

I wish there was more info coming out of the vikes front office. I understand it, but it would be nice as fans to know more details IMO.

You never really know which stories are true and which are false. You would like to think that if Zigy told C-pep that they haven't talked with any other teams that he was telling him the truth. I think C-pep has the right to not be lied to. If you don't want to tell him thats fine but don't lie to his face.

Regardless I garuntee atleast 50% of what is being reported is just columnist speculation that is not substantiated by any interviews with team officials. The part you quoted above seems just like that.

I think the news of his knee doing well could be seen as good news for a trade going through but also good news that the vikes may stick with him now as well. Just depends on what you want to believe I guess.

Right now it could still go either way IMO

I just wonder if the lastest statements made saying that C-Pep is staying is nothing more than smoke and mirrors? Of course if teams think that the Vikes are just going to dump him, why would you trade for him if you can get him for free. It's just funny how they say the aren't going to talk about team bussiness in the media, then there is this stuff about Pepp and how he is going to stay and be ready to play. It will be interesting to see how thing shake loose!

That lousy turf you have in the rollerink you call a stadium ruined your QB. Grossman went down on that junk field too.

Quote:

That lousy turf you have in the rollerink you call a stadium ruined your QB. Grossman went down on that junk field too.

Grossman could get hurt crossing a sidewalk, the wimp!!!

Quote:

Culpepper actually got hurt while playing on the road in Carolina. I seriously doubt the crappy field in Minnesota reached out and shredded his knee while he was in Carolina.

From Fanball:

02/24 18:26 Vikings: Childress won't deny Culpepper rumors

THE NEWS

Vikings head coach Brad Childress did not discount the option of cutting quarterback Daunte Culpepper while speaking to reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine on Friday. "You can never say never," Childress said when asked of the possibility.

Our View

Childress's comments come just days after Culpepper reiterated his desire of winning a championship with the Vikings and offered to delay a $6 million roster bonus he is due March 17. Considering the Miami Herald's report Friday that the Dolphins expected Culpepper to be cut rather than traded, this suddenly seems like a realistic possibility.

I still wonder if this is a smoke screen, trying to get other teams to trade!?!

From ESPN:

Daunte Culpepper's future as the Minnesota Vikings' starting quarterback appears safe -- in the short term at least.

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf told reporters Saturday at the NFL scouting combine that the team planned to pay Culpepper a $6 million roster bonus he is scheduled to receive March 17, the Star Tribune and Pioneer Press both reported.

When he was asked if Culpepper figures in the team's 2006 plans, Wilf said "That is our plan, yes. Always was."

In a statement to the media last week, Culpepper mentioned that he offered to move his $6 million roster bonus, which is set to be paid on March 17, to another date to help the Vikings sign more free agents under the salary cap -- though the team is projected to have plenty of room.

Culpepper wrote that he was assured by Wilf in a phone conversation earlier this week the Vikings have "not yet spoken to other teams about trading" him.

On Friday, new Vikings coach Brad Childress tried to downplay trade speculation about Culpepper, saying the quarterback figures into his plans.

"That's the mindset," Childress said Friday at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. "I don't know anything to the contrary."

Sunday Strib says Wilf will and always has planned to give Daunte 6 million. Big mistake and a waste of money. Let him go pout somewhere else.

I just wonder if they are just saying that so they can get someone to trade for him, then as a last resort keep him! Can't wait till the 3rd!

Who the heck knows whats going on. So much as been reported, some stuff saying the vikes are desperate to trade him so saying the never wanted to trade him.

I'm so confused. My prediction however is that Culpepper will be on the vikings next year. Johnson will be here in case Culpepper can't play at the start of the season and then once Culpepper is totally ready he will be the starter again.

There will also be a ton of controversy over the decision to start C-Pep once he is healthy.

Thats my guess anyways. Anyone else care to chime in to say what they think will happen. (Not what you want to have happen but what you think will actually take place, I think we know most of you want C-Pep out of here.)

I think that the Vikes are trying to trade Pep, and with the rumors of him being released the Vikes had to change their story. Now with Pep saying he will re-work his contract, and the Vikes saying his knee is coming along better than expected. I think it's a bluff, and their waiting to see if anyone will take that bet! I even think Pep may be in on it. But the only thing I know is that IF the right deal comes along, he's gone, but otherwise he'll be here with BJ. Who knows maybe on the 3rd they will anounce that he's traded. Your right Nofish...I am confused also! grin.gif Just have to wait a few more days to find out!

My honest opinion is that Culpepper will be back with the Vikings next year. I don't think any teams would trade for him right now given the unknown of his injury. I think the Vikings will keep him and see how he responds next year. If things look positive after next season I think he will stay, if not I think he will be gone after next season.

This is not the Vikings of old, new ownership here no lame duck management. I think that Cullpper made a bad move in trying to increase his salary at a very bad time to be looking for another 10mil after the half season that he had. I think he is gone and just does not know it yet. When you buy a business most of the time it is cleaning house time then you settle down and start the building process. Everyone here is posting we have to win right now and pepper is better then Brad and on and on. But if you are looking towards the future I don't think it is Brad or Pepper. Of course I don't know anything more then anyone else but that is my guess, Pepper won't be the only one that will not be around come the fall.

Quote:

When you buy a business most of the time it is cleaning house time then you settle down and start the building process

Normally that would be true. However, I think that the biggest problem with this team last year was not talent. It was the front office and the coaching staff. That has been overhauled so I am not sure how many players will be gone. Obvioulsy there are always a few like Bennet, but he was gone either way I think.

This team is set up pretty well to make a run given the proper coaching. We have a good base of talent and alot of money to spend in free agency. That can mean winning right away.

Quote:

That can mean winning right away.

If they can find a way to get the team to gel, and play on the same page! Look at our Defense last year...it took them awhile to come together! My guess is the Vike will have some deals made within the first day they can sign free agents! grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Grossman could get hurt crossing a sidewalk, the wimp!!!

We'll see. Just some bad luck. he'll play the full year in 06.