• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best laker day ever! (pics included)

hey Steve, sounds like u had a great time. I was wondering, you said the fish were not clipped. I didn't know stocked lake trout were clipped except for the ones they put in Lake Superior. Could u enlighten me on that, thanks. How did the fish look when u released it, i know lakers r sensitive to bleeding once landed it must have been a few minutes to set up your camera to take the picture. I hope she made it, heading up this weekend to give it a whirl, be over bye waters Island if u r around.

Angler, there are native lakers in Burntside and clipped stockers. Steve can go into details regarding the strain differences.

Angler, the fish hardly bled at all, and she blazed away down the hole once I'd push-pulled her for a few seconds back in the water.

The DNR clips the adipose and pectoral and pelvic fins of the lakers they stock in inland lakes. Different year classes get a different clip or series of clips that don't repeat themselves until several stockings later, so it's easy for the DNR to figure out which year class a fish is based on length and clip pattern. You can call the area fisheries office that oversees whatever lake you have an interest in and they can fax you that data. I've got it for Burntside, but I'm not sure where I stowed it.

Not every fish with unclipped fins is native, the DNR folks say, because sometimes a poorly clipped fin will regenerate, and occasionally a stocked fish gets overlooked in the clipping process. But I'd be willing to bet that, out of four unclipped fish, at least three and probably all four were natives.

Hey i thought it was supposed to be the "Chunky trout" BW radio show this morning, not the STF show?? grin.gifgrin.gif

Got a couple good laughs out of it anyway from the "Abbott and Costello of the fishing world" cool.gif

Same bat time, same bat channel next week!!!

PS: adipose...A.D.I.P.O.S.E grin.gif

Hey Steve, thanks foe the info on the way the trout are clipped, nice to know those things. It was also nice to know that the fish swam away too, good job! Nothing worse then releasing a fish that might not make it. Good luck in your next outing, course it might be kinda tough to out do it.

Angler: I watched that fish pretty closely. If it hadn't done well, I'dve ended up tossing it on the ice for an eventual date with the smoker. Better in my and my buddies' bellies than having some ole pout pecking at it dead on the bottom. If I spend the rest of my life trying to outdo that day, it'll be time VERY well spent. Come to think of it, I'm gonna have to spend some of that time again this weekend! grin.gif

Xplorer: Hey man, they called me, I didn't call them. That clever Mikie the radio guy even put a caller ID block on the phone call to me, so it looked just like it was Chunky calling me. Guess if Chunky and I are Abbott and Costello, I don't have to wonder which role I've got. Not to mention that if we add a certain Chris to the mix, it changes to the Three Stooges! blush.gif

Nice fish catfish. After meeting yall at the bash i decieded to join up. as always good fishing keep it up.

Welcome BlueGill guy! You're in good company!

Angler, hopefully meet you on the lake this weekend.

Xplorer, final date on your next visit?

Steve, great job on them Lakers. Had to work this year and missed seeing you guy's.....next year hopefully.

Nice fish Steve!! One of those is all it takes to may the fishing bug worse.

fisherking01-I grew up in Evansville. Nice to know some of you come up this way to catch some real fish. grin.gif

Wow, long time since I have been on this site! Nice to see the lakers are biting! Those are some nice fish Steve! I just got a new computer so I can finnaly see whats going on in the Fishing Minnesota crowd again.

I am glad to see those fish are still swimin. I hate to say that I ate most of the ones I got at B-Side but then again I was still in school. Anyway, it is good to see everyone is still at it. I might have to swing up to Ely yet this winter and hit the honeyholes again. The laker bug is starting to get to me!

deadeye><>

Chunky,

Its looking like i am gonna try and get up next weekend, 11/12. Come up saturday morning and stay overnight(booked a room at the westgate), then fish a bit on sunday for awhile too. I will be bringing "X Junior" with me since ma is on-call all weekend, so that will add a new element to my laker fishing grin.gif

He's good for about an hour each stop so we will most likely be "hole hopping" on the lake and maybe a little sled riding too. I'll bring his sled and other stuff for him to play with, just hoping that the temps stay on the milder side. May not be up at the break of dawn, but early enough sat AM. Hope both of of you guys are able to get out and visit/fish with us, it would be way cool to see Jr land his first ice laker at 3 (only took me til 35) grin.gif

I'll get ahold of you guys next week to see whats up and figure out a meet somewhere.

The only thing that would put a kaibosh on this is really cold temps or a must-do project at the house (basement being finished) but as of now its a go cool.gif

"Curly"

Way to go Steve! I now know for certain with all the Laker time you've put in you'll definetly have to be in my boat on the big girl this summer. Maybe you can bring some of that Ely luck our way. Congrats grin.gif BC

nice lakers steve, thats what I am looking for.

how have you done in the summer on downriggers? I haved try a few times downrigging, I mark fish, but I have yet to catch one. maybe I am in the wrong area or using the wrong baits. I usually use a crockidile silver with green prism tape. which has worked good in other areas.

knoppers: I've tagged along in Chunkytrout's boat for about three summers, downrigging on Bside. Some days good, some days not so good. We use Rapalas, spoons, tinsel flies/flashers/cisco, the whole nine yards.