• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Even if CO's are scarce and it's hard to enforce it, there are still plenty of people that will obey the law just because it's the law. It will still result in plenty of 20+" fish going back into the water.

Personally I think size limits are not the answer,six fish is to many.Your talking about a fish that everyone loves to eat.FOUR FISH limit is great plenty for a daily limit.you could still leave the possession limit a twevle.I think overall fisherman have been doing a good job of self regulating ourselves cleaning smaller fish for table fair.Practing catch and release is something fisherman thought up not the state.Nomatter what the rules are a few are going to disregaurd them a take advantage of our resoures.Sportman as a hole are doing a better job of being stewarts of the resources.

On inland waters, the walleye possession limit is not 12.

Its 6.

I have seen people posting the 12 fish limit on other occasions on this site and others.

Better read the regs again iamgmc.

Might want to eat a couple meals out of the freezer quicklike. wink.gif

I stand corrected.Don't say I agree with possetion limit either,I can safely say you can check my freezer before I make another meal.Sunfish,Perch and a few slabs hit the fry pan this time of year.

Studies show that for a reduced limit of walleye to have any impact at all on improving walleye numbers, the limit would have to be lowered to 2 walleye. So many people voice their support for 4 walleye limits when reality is it will do statistically nothing. If we really mean business as anglers, we would have to accept a 2 fish daily and possession limit along with size restrictions. Until then, it's all just "feel good" suggestions that don't really do anything.

Of course this information is a look at the big picture. we can all think of circumstances where a limit of 4 would cut back the harvest during a hot bite on a smaller lake.

ccarlson

Do these studies take into consideration the guys who don’t want to load up for only a chance at only four fish opposed to 6? Sometimes regulations of any kind can detour enough people to make a difference which is worth while. Maybe biologically it is not going to help if the same amount of pressure is applied. Possibly psychologically it will keep some of the meet hunters away.

crappace,

I really like your last two sentences about the meat hunters. That same thought is why I said that even though I know it doesn't make any difference in the big picture, it would prevent the hording during a hot bite.

The other positive of a 4 fish limit would be in guided situations. I certainly don't mean that as a negative towards guides as many are my friends and I used to guide myself. I just know that many guides try to encourage their customers to use restraint but many times the customers want what they are fully entitled to. In a guided situation though, they are catching more than they probably would had they been on their own. I would think that conservative minded guides would appreciate the ability to say they can only keep 4 rather than 6. Just my thoughts though.

ccarlson

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      kettle, anyone?????are you guys getting any rain worth while up  there?????
    • smurfy
      i cant help you with the weed thing, but i just came back form out that way......Regal, New London Hawick area. i dont no how big the swat of rain was but there is water standing everywhere. my buddy told me they had over 3 inches of rain yesterday/last night 
    • mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.