• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone fish the muskies on this lake off the caribou Trail? Was thinking of fishing them there. There the Shoepack strain so they dont grow large. Most muskies I have caught small or large are still crazy on the end of the line.

Just was wondering time of year, lure color, what type of lures I should try, all that good stuff. I also hear the smallies are nice in here also. I can fish the lake any time as my parents live in rural Grand Marais, but I have never tried the lake. Thanks...

Protrapper

I caught one up there last year, in between the 2 islands just out from the boat launch. I was throwing a Red and White Bucktail, the water is prety dark. She was a 36 incher, but I'll tell you what she was fiesty as all get out. I just started seriously fishing them last year, and that one was the first. We were in Grand Marais for our annual Week up there and I wanted to try for some muskie. Lot's of fun. But I wouldn't expect a trophy be anymeans, from what i hear the shoepak don't get any larger then 40", which is still a nice fish. The smallie fishing up there is fantastic also.

Good Luck and Let me know how you did.

Matt

Oh yeah I was up there fishing it in the begining of August.

[This message has been edited by RuKiddingMe (edited 05-14-2003).]

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Ive been fishing Crescent for walleye since the late 60's. At one time it was boosted number one in the state for walleye survey net lifts. Its a beautiful lake and the walleye fishing was superb. Then the DNR started planting muskies. Why I dont know. Anyway Ive never stumbled onto any muskies there or heard of any good muskie stories either. I have seen them being targeted there.

------------------
BWCA/Duluth/Range Gallery by Loadmaster

http://webpages.charter.net/loadmaster/

Hey surfacetension do you think the muskies have impacted the walleyes? Go to the metro thread and look at my muskie post. The guys on there wanted to about kill me for bringing up muskies and the impact they COULD have on a fishery.

LOL Didnt you know Muskies only eat artifical lures. smile.gif Walleyes tastes and looks to much like fish.

No the walleye decline on Cresent couldnt be from muskies. There was a campground host that got pinched headed back to his southern wintering grounds with a gazzilion walleyes over his limit. Not only did he get the best campsite on the whole lake free all summer but he had to steal our walleyes to boot.

------------------

Surface Tension,

I can remeber as a kid, I'm 26 now but I guess still a kid. But anyway there never used to be anyone that came up to the Grand Marais area, some but not many. Next thing you know the land prices skyrocket, the campgrounds are full, the yuppies invade etc, etc. There never used to be campgroung hosts, we used to shoot rabbits and grouse in the Devils Track campground cause no one ever was there. Two Island too. No you cant fart there I guess after 9pm.

Oh well I dont camp. My parents have had a home there for 35 years. They bought it for 1,500 dollars and its worth over a 100,000 now. Just crazy. My dad said you could have bought the county for 150,000 bucks back then.

Thats B.S. them campgroung hosts. I remeber that story now. Typical.. I hear the same in Ely theres more people busing tables with PHDS than anything. They come up to the north country and try to run the place.

OOPS SORRY I MIGHT HAVE STARTED AN ARGUMENT..

a guy from work was just up there for the opener and caught a bunch of little Muskie.

protrapper:

You might even be describing me. No PhD, but I'm not arguing, either. What you say has some truth to it. grin.gif

After spending 8 years in as a reporter and editor at daily newspapers in larger cities, I moved up to Ely couple months ago to be editor of a weekly paper. Professionally, it's considered a pretty big step down. Personally, it's a giant step up for a guy who really doesn't want to come out of the woods, would rather burn firewood than fuel oil and eat fish and venison than chicken and beef.

There ARE a lot of others like that up here, I'm finding out, people who left higher-paying jobs in bigger cities to come where life is slower and more rewarding.

As for running the place, some of those who lead the city are newcomers, and some are people whose families have lived here for 100 years. Not always easy for those two groups to get along, but they seem to be managing OK.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

People are mobile by nature. Times change, and people move to new locations. Think of what some old Ojibways are probably saying about you. "Man, you should have heard the stories my grandpa used to tell about the walleye fishing around here when he was a kid. And the huge northerns he used to catch. And how Lake Superior used to be full of brook trout. More and more whites started moving in, people kept more fish than they needed, everything went downhill...."

It all depends on your perspective. Anyone that came after you seems like part of the problem.

You cant blame anyone from wanting to get out of the rat race. A 2 hour drive to work and back in bumper to bumper dosent sound like fun to me. Some folks relocate to Gods country and stay the rest of their lives. Some come just to charge there batteries then they're off back to the same grind that they needed to get away from.
Somebodies got to live and work in the big cities and do the things we wouldnt do. Different strokes for different folks.

Campground Hosts, Im not opposed to them. I dont think they should have the pick of the best camp sites though. When theres only a handfull of sites on the water lets leave them to Campers. After all isnt that who the campsites are for,,, Campers?

------------------

I hear ya there surface.
Do you know if the hosts are paid?
I think they should at least from Minnesota dont you??

They get the site free. May not sound like much but add it up over the summer. Plus anyone else just cant move into a campground for the summer. They would have to pay a lot more for a lot less at a private site.
They're not expected to do much. Answer questions like wheres the latrine or what kind of flower is this? I dont think they breakup many parties and I wouldnt expect them to. Maybe make a call to the local police is abou the extent of it.
Heck of a deal for a retired couple,

------------------