• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Need a new hand auger

My father-in-law wants to buy a new hand auger this year. Any suggestions? I'm of the opinion that as long as the blades are sharp, there isn't much difference between brands... but what the heck do I know?

The strikemaster is offered in sevral sizes and at least two different blade options. For simplicity in cutting thru deeper ice as well as shallower ice I would suggest the Lazer Sharp. They cost a bit more but are the cat's meow on the ice. Nils makes a hand auger that is equally progressive. The strikemaster is very available in the Rochester area, but I am not certain on the Nils.

Keep in mind that hole diameter will determine how fast an auger cuts and how much work you will have to put into thick ice. If panfish and crappies are going to be the primary targets, a seven incher would work very well. If you are going to drop a transducer in one of the fishing holes, I say an eight. If you are thinking of getting a ten inch, get a good physical check-up and up your life insurance policy a couple hundred thou. And eat your wheaties.

A couple of years ago, (or at least it seems that short of time) Robin got me a strikemaster and it was hands above any other hand auger I had used. I have noticed that Reeds sports at walker seems to have the best price (even with shipping) so you may want to check on line and compare prices.

I grew up in Indiana and used the 5 in cup auger, so anything was a step up for me.

Bitz

Thanks Guys,

I'll take it to the bank. I'm dissapointed they don't make a 12" model...I don't know if 10" is going to be big enough for the monster crappies we catch wink.gif