• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well i found out i got nothing to do in the morning and might try to get out around 6:30 or 7am. You gonna be out there Dan?

I was out on the Zumbro last night at around 6 P.M. I headed out through the public access at the Ponderosa and went around the corner towards the restaraunt. The first hole I drilled was in about 6" of ice. I dropped my camera down to see some action and found that I had ended up in about 50' of water and the current was really on the move seeing as I was close to the dam. After about 5 minutes and a couple different holes the ice decided to pull a pretty big shift on me and started cracking more than I would consider normal, so I decided I was done for the night. Sorry for the lengthy message just thought I'd throw my two cents out.

Welcome to FishingMinnesota Hanson.

If the powerplant is drawing water you can get some radical currents closer to the dam. I seldom fish near the area you described, but there is fishing to be had there. I'd suggest you park in the vacant lot just before the restaraunt found just up the road from where you came on the ice and go straight across the lake...maybe a touch to the left from there. The current isn't all that much of an issue over there, some nice 30 foot plus holes are found easily and crappies tend to favor the deepeset water in the area now as long as they don't have to fight current.

Thanks CrappieTom,

Does anybody on here fish below the powerdam for Muskies ever??

hanson,

Again, Welcome to FishingMinnesota.com

The fall season tends to bring some musky activity below the powerdam. I've never been there personally, but I'm itching to give it a try.

Sorry I didn't see your post untill now.

The dam starts to get interesting around the end of September and all of October. I did really well this year down there. One thing though, the guy that owns the acsess charges five bucks to fish there. That aint too bad unless you go ten times. It adds up!

When you guys mention the high banks, what side of the lake is this? The east or west side?

Anyone planning on hitting up the Zumbro Saturday morning-afternoon at all? I have never been out there so I would appreciate some veteran guidance, even if that means putting up with some CrappieTom Stories (haha) I've got waxworms and cold ones. Post on here or shoot me an email at [email protected].

• 2 weeks later...

Hit Lake Zumbro this afternoon from 3:00-5:30. The action was as steady as the wind. Yikes! I think it is safe to say this has been a nice bite we're experiencing this year in our backyard! Iced some monster bull sunfish, and nice slab crappies. Missed several due to the windy conditions, but these fish are stacked up. Found the quality fish coming right in with the annoying shiners. Witnessed many people fishing too heavy. Big crappies often time simply inhale the bait with a simple opening of there mouth, and can spit it just as fast. Stay light and watch for the split second of slack line. Good Fishing Guys! By the way I haven't picked up any cats lately. Interested if anyone has tangled with any Smallies on the ice this year?

Rainy- Where were you at? Were you out there on Wed. night as well? I thought that I recognized your shack out there. Wed. fished for about 2hr. and only one shiner, and one white to show for it. But, I'm not much of a finesse fisherman.

Hi Crick,

We were out in the middle without a shack, although there are channels next to each shoreline that are just as good. Go buy yourself a light action rod with 2lb test. One thing that helps if your not used to these light biters would be to use a small small slip bobber with spikes or waxies. Jig the bobber and let it sit. If that bobber lays on its side or moves hit it. This will help you detect bites. I promise you that you will catch ten times the fish. I learned very young fishing next to an experienced angler in Bay city. I had 6lb test and a bobber on. I spent most of my time running over to his hole and watching all the fish pile up. He had 1lb test tied directly to the end of his light rod. He would measure the distance he needed to be 6inches off the bottom cut his line and tie it off. This way he knew when his line was down he was 6 inches off the bottom, and the new 1lb test eliminated and crimps or coiling that make detecting bites difficult. I haven't gone to that extreme with the hot bite on the mighty Zumbro, but certainly am prepared to if it means turning some monster pannies! Good Luck! My girlfriend and I are in the Cabelas gear! Not working for them just spend lots of cash there! LOL

I was out on the Zumbro yesterday from 2 til 5 and the fishing was pretty good. Plenty of shiners down there ended up with a few by the end along with some sunnies and perch. A lot of fish were on my camera but they just would not bite no matter what you tried with them. Heading back out here in a couple hours so hopefully I can coax them into biting tonight.