• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New birds in town? Ice-up?

Just wondering if people are seeing alot of new birds with this weather and who's crazy/lucky enough to get out tomorrow. I know I'm going, might have to leave early to get to the slough and see how much ice is on it and have time to make it to the next spot. I've only been duck hunting a few years and have only had to break ice once before. I'm not sure how quick places will freeze up with one day of 20 degree temps and one night in the single digits. Anyone have a guess as to how much ice might form tonight? Good luck and dress warm!!

Were seeing new birds everyday now and there not hanging around. Mostly Goldeneyes, fish ducks, and buffleheads Has for freeze up it so depends on the wind and size of the lake and depth. I think if this wind lays down my area will freezze up. I might have to use the boat has a ice breaker in the morning.

I've watching the ice form all day on the small ponds. this morning they were open and as of 2 o'clock they were almost completely froze over. tonight i think alot of things will lock up for a few days anyway.

I was out this morning near maple lake and everything was open yet. I did not see any birds until 8am when I decided to pickup because I had some place to be. Well, I had half the decoys up and the spinners still going when I had a group of 20 mallards land around me, my gun was on shore! I pushed the boat in the weeds and in the next 20 minutes I had 3 large flocks of mallards come in. I got my four birds and was on my way. Three nice thick drakes and a hen that I shot by accident frown.gif when that flock came when the sun came out. I love this weather! Time to throw the decoys in the bathtub to thaw and go at it again in the morning. This is hunting

LovenLifeGuy

Now that's what I like to hear!! laugh.gif I'm optimistic for tomorrow! But then, I always am when I head out.

Lots of birds flying high heading south tonight while in the deer stand(metro area) ---- large flocks of divers, mallards, swans and geese. I wish this weather would have hit this weekend!.

Jeff