• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Food savers?

jltimm

Question

I was wondering if anyone has some advice or info on food saver devices?Which brand is the best,and how the different model #'s differ from each other?

My understanding from the Foodsaver folks was that the larger commercial grade models DO have a more heavy duty pump. My 750 model lasted 7 years but now won't hold a seal very long on the containers with the sealable lids. Time for a new one..... By the way, those resealable cassarole containers are the way to go for storing leftovers in the fridge, as well as fresh fish or meat. Just revacuum every time you open and fish/meat will keep "like new" for a week or two no problem. Great if you don't want to freeze them, but won't eat it all in one sitting........Here's a tip for sealing up fresh fish, meat, or anything else that might leak juices during vacuuming. Just take a paper towel, fold it about an inch wide over and over the long way until you don't have any left. Then depending on the size bag you are using, fold it to length to just fit the width of your bag opening and place about 2" inside the bag mouth so you have enough left to vacuum and seal. During vacuuming the paper towel will absorb any leaking juices and allow a clean seal. Also make sure that after placing fish or meat in a bag to seal that you take a paper towel and wipe dry the inside of the bag at the mouth so a good seal can take place. IMHO these things rank right up there with the microwave as a true lifestyle impact item that is a "must" have.