• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishin report for Lake Iwanttobethere..

Bobby Bass

Yesterday I had to drop off a well point up by the golf course and as I drove back I decide to swing into the course. There were a few cars and trucks parked near the practice putting green and although there was no one at the starters shack there was a sign directing you to the Club House. I gave my clubs away a few years ago but for some reason I had the urge to whack a few balls and I walked over to the driving range. A few older guys were there spending more time chatting and resting on their drivers then hitting balls. Out around the three hundred yard sign I saw a few guys walking and looking back toward the tees. There used to be a shed where the buckets were stored but one of the guys told me I have to go to the clubhouse now. I headed across the dirt parking lot and made my way into the clubhouse and to the counter.

Sign there said buckets of balls four dollars, empty buckets fifty cents with wavier. I got the attention of a gal working there and she came over and asked if she could help me. I pointed to the sign and asked what is the difference. She told be a bucket of balls is four dollars and I am welcome to use a driver or iron from the box of mismatched clubs by the door. The empty bucket is only fifty cents and you need to sign the waiver. I must have given her a funny look as she went on to tell me that I would need to sign the wavier then I can take the empty bucket out on the driving range and pick my own balls. The waiver was in case I got hit by a ball or two while on the range. I chuckled at this and said "Really" she went on to say that the older guys collect balls in the morning and are pretty safe out around the three hundred yard stripe where as the young guys put on batting helmets and work the two hundred yard stripe.

Not feeling that young I opted for the full bucket of balls for four dollars and grabbed a big headed driver from the wood box. I went out to the last tee and started spraying balls all over the driving range. Took a few before I got them in the air and finally I managed to hit one far enough that the old codgers collecting balls yelled in my direction. One of the guys down from me came over carrying his empty bucket and a few irons, "Working on your short game are ya " I bounced another ball in the direction where a third baseman would have had a chance at it and just held what I thought was a perfect follow through. "Yup" is all I said.

With just a two balls left in the bucket I finally slowed down and relaxed. I took my time and addressed the ball and with an easy swing I heard the click of the club hitting the ball and watch the ball soar away like I knew what I was doing. Couple of the old guys down from me watched the ball arc out to the two hundred and fifty stripe, take a big bounce and roll. " Nice Ball" one said. I put my last ball on the rubber tee and took aim at the two old guys out on the three hundred stripe, I figured I was not going to hit it that far but if I could get them to move that would be good enough. I addressed the ball, waggled by club back and forth a few times and took a mighty Casey at the bat swing. Guess I forgot to keep my head down as I buried the club into the ground and felt a bang in my hands that went up my arms to stop at my shoulders. " Old guy down the line yelled "Nice Hit" I picked up the empty bucket and walked with club in hand back to the clubhouse. It was all coming back to me why I stopped playing golf with old guys, from Lake Iwanttobethere {640,299}

Another sunny Spring day but it is feeling more like fall, Sun is shinning but the air is cool and crisp. Today's walk found me and Duncan off Main Street and on Loggin Street. Have not been on that street for years and I have forgotten all about all the old store fronts that line the street. With all the TV shows about Pawn shops and Auction guys I guess I had not noticed that Loggin Street was full of these kind of shops. Loggin Street is one of the old streets in town and like Main Street it was built with logging wagons in mind. The street is wide enough for a wagon to turn around in and now the store fronts have as much stuff stacked out in front of their store as they do inside, with still plenty of room for cars to park.

I was walking past the Close Enough Shop when I spotted a couple of wooden deck chairs out on the street. I was in the market for some new chairs for the deck as last fall we had broken one. Well actually the daughter and Duncan had as he jumped up on her and it collapsed. The chairs might just match the ones at the cabin on the deck. A young feller came out and offering his hand he said his name was Jim and he was the owner of Close Enough. We talked some about Duncan who is always an ice breaker as far as conversations go. I am finding out that taking Duncan for walks is an advantage as people comment about how handsome he is. I told Jim that I was in the market for some outdoor wood chairs and I was looking at the ones he had on display. We talked for awhile and Jim said "Well are these Close Enough" He smiled at me and I told him he had a nice close.

Having worked as a salesman we all know the "Close" is the most important part of a sale. I almost said yes but explained that I was just walking Duncan but I might be back with the Dodge and the wife. I went on my way and Jim headed back into his shop. I walked down the street and took note of all the signs for places like, Twice is Nice, Savers, Rewear Sportsware, Tick Tock Thrift Shop and even a check cashing place that I never knew we had. Another store caught my eye advertising LP's and cassettes for sale. I was about to turn the handle when I saw a small handwritten sign in the lower right hand side of the door window state "No dogs allowed" I looked down at Duncan and no way was I going to be tying him outside to a tree. Duncan and I continued on our walk and I was thinking this person who owns the record shop, can't be a local, no dogs aloud, Really.

We walked till we got to Baits Avenue and turned back to Main Street. Back on familiar turf so to speak Duncan and I strolled along Main Street. Sun was leaving us as dark rain clouds rolled in from across the waters of Lake Iwanttobethere. Looks like the rain in the forecast was going to happen as predicted. Hammering Hank and Skinny drove by, a load of green treated lumber with a bright red flag hanging out the back of the work truck. The two handymen have been busy working on docks this spring and I hear they are building a big one down off Loon Point. I walk past Reed the Realtor store and he is busy behind a stack of papers on his desk. Last week of tax season is almost here and the lights will be on at Reed's as he works late every night till the 16th I had parked the Dodge in front of Marv's Book and Cigar Shop and I opened the door for Duncan to hop up and sit in the passenger's seat. I went around to the drivers side just as a cold drop of rain hit my hand as I reached for the handle, talk about timing. By the time I put my seat belt on and started the Dodge I needed to turn the wipers on as drops splattered on the windshield. Easter tomorrow and Sunshine Ray says the rain will be done, from Lake Iwanttobethere {642,456}

Easter has come and gone and we are all that much closer to fishing. Like everyone we kind of have events that act as markers to be passed leading up to the fishing opener. Easter is behind us and up next is taxes, we won't talk about them. The wife hid forty-eight plastic eggs in the cabin and we set off to meet up with family to go to THE EAGLES for brunch. I don't know why we just can't call it late breakfast but no we have to humor the daughter and call it brunch. Anyway this year as in past years we headed down the road to a resort that has a pretty laid back owner and some really good pancakes.

THE EAGLES resort is spread out along the banks of Mystery River up past the brewery. With out spending to much time describing the owner I can do it in just a few words. He looks like Dude from the Big Lebowski and his cook is the spitting image of Walter. Well maybe spitting is not the right word in describing a short order cook. We drove down the road and turned in at the mailbox being held up by a wood carving of a flying Eagle. The gravel road makes a few turns and wanders down towards the river. We drive past plywood sided cabins each with their own swinging name plate. Eagle Roost, Eagles Landing, Eagles Lair, Where Eagle Dare and the Eagles Nest until we reach the main building where a big sign in capital letters that says THE EAGLE hangs from two posts.

The resort is pretty typical of what you will find around the lake, Orange stained peeled logs with a cedar shake roof. A round river rock wall holds up the wrap around front porch and an Eagle chain sawed out of a log with an American flag on a pole alongside guards the main stairs. Pea rock gravel covers the small parking lot and tall pines sway a little in the breeze and you can hear the sound of the river just a rock throw away. A normal Easter would find snow banks and maybe some cold coming off river ice but not this year. The sun is shinning and if you stand in it out of the wind you do not need a jacket. I follow the wife up the stairs and head into the restaurant side of THE EAGLES.

The place smells like pancakes, sausages and beer, not a bad combination if you have not been drinking the night before. Family is already here and a few of the big tables have been pushed together to form one long one. Walter waves at me with a spatula in hand and I return the wave. He is standing behind the counter with the big flat top grill behind him. The apron with an Eagle on it hangs from around his neck, there is barely enough string to tie it around his waist. The Dude, as locals have come to call him is chit chatting with my aunt, no doubt exchanging stories over her experiences back in the sixties and her Woodstock days that they both claim to share. Adding to the atmosphere of the place some Creedence Clearwater Revival's Suzy Q is playing on the Wurlitzer jukebox that sits next to the wall where the postage stamp dance floor is. The place is called THE EAGLES and not because of the band, just Dude likes Eagles. Funny thing is, no one has ever seen an eagle on this part of the river.

So we did brunch and headed back to the cabin, the grand kids were turned loose in the cabin to search out the forty-eight easter eggs hidden inside. We stood outside on the deck and could hear shouting and yelling and of course the running of feet. A few minutes later the oldest grandson came out with what appeared to be all the forty-eight plastic eggs. He told his grand ma that was too easy, all the eggs were in Duncan's crate. Seems Duncan collected all the eggs while we were at brunch, from Lake Iwanttobethere {644,890}

Sure is hard to get excited about fishing opener when there is snow falling. This morning the daughter had a dentist appointment and I had to drive her in to town. First thing I noticed it was cold enough that I had to go back in the cabin to get some gloves. As I headed to town we ran into a stretch where snow was falling, nothing that was going to stick or amount to anything but never the less it was snow. The night before I had the youngest grand daughter in her car seat and we were heading to the cabin when we ran into a snow shower. From the back seat I heard her in a disappointing tone tell me she thought she was done with winter and done wearing boots. Guess that kind of says it all, even the kids have had enough of winter.

Mike the family dentist invited the daughter back behind the closed door to his waiting chair. I was left in the waiting room with a stack of old magazines to thumb through. Kind of different when the wait is going to be for an hour instead of a few minutes as you wait your turn. Being a kind of guy who takes pride in noticing things I noticed that all the reading material in the waiting room was female oriented. Movie mags, Hollywood star mags, People Mag, Us Mag one garden mag and a well worn year old ESPN magazine were my only choices. I made the mistake of saying out loud what I was thinking, that being the ladies behind the counter must do all the magazine subscriptions. I received a look from the receptionist that I think was reserved for customers behind in their payments. I hid behind the ESPN cover reading about who was going to win last years World Series.

It being a slow day Mike the dentist came out a couple of times to ask me if I had the Puddle Humper in the water yet. Came out again to tell me he had his dock in and the water was down about four feet from normal. A third trip was made to have his receptionist print out a couple of pages of jokes he had on the computer. The receptionist was not to thrilled and I think she left printing the punch line off the last joke on purpose. I took my jokes and read them, good thing I knew the punch line to the last joke, I chuckled as the receptionist was watching. A little while later the daughter was done and we were out and on our way, a return appointment planned for a few weeks. I am thinking I will stop off at Burt's barbershop and bring a few of his months old sporting magazines over to the dentist, they would be new there.

I arrived back at the cabin to hear a high buzzing noise coming from Chuck's I took the short cut through the trees to find Chuck standing in knee deep pine sawdust at his portable logging mill. Chuck wearing his ear muffs was walking the band saw down the length of a pine log and a stack of boards rested on the forks of the tractor. I asked him what he was doing between cuts and he just replied with a grin on his face "Just cutting board's man, just cutting boards" I grabbed the extra ear muffs hanging in the tractor and put them on. I leaned up against the forks of the tractor and when he was done with the next cut I helped him stack the board on the forks. He pulled his muff off one ear and I did the same. "What ya doing man?" He asked. I replied, " Just stacking boards man, just stacking boards" Just something we do here at Lake Iwanttobethere {646,031}

Yesterday after letting the dogs run in the yard for awhile I was looking them over and found a tick on Duncan. I had already pulled one off Bud a few days before so time to spray the yard down. I went to the basement to find barely enough of the spray left from last year. Time for a road trip so Duncan and I headed down to Diggers Garden Center. Diggers is across from the golf course and as we parked in the lot there were a few people in the greenhouse. I could see them moving behind the shaded glass. I left Duncan in the Tahoe and he sat in one of the grand kid's booster seats with his head out the window sniffing the breeze. I went in through the greenhouse entrance and saw a lot of talking going on but not much shopping. On a sunny day the greenhouse is a meeting place for those who want to get outdoors in the sunshine but stay out of the cold.

Digger met me as I came in the door, we chatted for a few minutes and then he directed me in to the main building where the tick spray was. I quickly found the red bottle and headed towards the direction of the cash register till I was distracted by the wall of leashes and collars. On an impulse I bought a new red collar for Duncan as his blue one is getting a little tight. Besides a red collar is a better look then a blue one for a chocolate lab. I paid for the spray and collar and walked back to the Tahoe, Duncan was waiting for me. I slipped on the new collar and I was right, he looked good in red. The blue one he held in his mouth all the way back home.

Today it is sunny but cool out yet again. I am so looking forward to getting up some morning and putting on a tee shirt and some shorts. Sunshine Ray is calling for today to be sunny but rain for tomorrow with a chance of thunderstorms the rest of the week. Not going to get much warmer either so it will be iffy if the rain is going to make any difference down at the mouth of Mystery River. There have been a few guys dipping for smelt but they are catching hardly enough for a meal a night. Hammering Hank was in the Lodge last night and said they are thinking of putting up the smelt fry tent up down in the park this weekend, but if it rains they will wait. I started to clean the hull on the Puddle Humper yesterday but did not get too far. The only way to really clean it is to rub it down with some aluminum cleaner then buff it. Guess I didn't do it last year so I have twice the grime to clean off the year.

Still have tackle spread across the table in the shop, was looking for a warmer day to do some more sorting but that has not happen. Might have to go in later this week when it is raining and just start a fire in the little potbelly stove and make an afternoon of it. Am slowly thinking more and more about fishing as the days go by. A month away now unless the boys down state play around with the season opener. I never go out on opening weekend myself, have too much to do working the Lodge and watching the crowd at the public access. I may toss a few off the dock but at this rate it might be snowing as it is in the forecast for Friday. This afternoon I am going to go down to Marv's and order up a box of cigars for the fishing season. I have a few brands that I have narrowed it down to and I going to try one last one before I decide. Marv will order me a box and time it so they will come right before season starts. Fifty cigars, one for each fishing trip I hope. From Lake Iwanttobethere {648,067}

Last night since it was raining out I went and saw a movie, it has been awhile but as soon as I walked in the door I was overwhelmed by the smells of the movie house. Made me think of other smells and things that instantly can take you back in time.

The smell of a newly diapered baby, much better than the smell before.

Coffee and bacon and the hissing sound of a propane stove at first light on the fog covered shores of lake campsite.

The damp rich smell of the woods as you walk down a grouse trail, the tinkling of the bell on a dog in the brush just out front of you.

Fresh cut grass with the sound of buzzing bees, the clinking of melting ice in a glass of ma's ice tea.

The creaking sounds of a porch swing as it glides back and forth.

The sight of a crash landing by a loon in the night, his call going out that he is all right.

The heavy sigh of a dog as it lies down on his side, eyes closed and tongue hanging off to the side.

The crackling of a fire bright with light, the sparks climbing skyward to wink out in the night.

A choir of crickets and peepers singing just at twilight.

The crack of a baseball bat, a ball soaring out of sight, a beer vendor yelling that he has a cold one just for you on this night.

The twang of a guitar plucked by someone who can play.

The lonely call of a goose heading alone across a cold and wavy field of grain.

The smell of cigarettes heavy in the air, the dim light and crashing sound of pins on a league night final somewhere.

The hum of trailer tires on a black topped lane, soon to be cooled in water by a dock, alongside a forgotten bay.

The smell of a bakery with the bread all in back, you have to walk through the croissants and donuts and once again on your way back.

But the thought that triggered it all was walking through the door to the movie house. Stepping from the light rain and darkness to the glitter of lights chasing themselves across the marque. The posters of coming attractions and the candy girl with her smile. No waiting for the popcorn because you are next in line. Fresh popcorn and hot dripping butter are mixed in the box, the sound of soda spraying out under pressure to splash in the bottom of your cup. The candy girl who looks like Vana stands to the side and lets her arm arc across the counter showing you the display case of Dots and Hot Rocks under the lights. You remember when you were young and could only watch and listen, now you can buy them all if you could only get her to listen. One of those and two of them with popcorn and pop you are on a mission. Down the carpeted runway past the old arcade games, you follow the cloth ropes to a door with a big number eight. No cell phones, no talking is prominently displayed as you walk through the door to yesterday. You find your old seat and sit back in the cushion, your favorite movie is on, it's Bobby Bass in "It's Time To Go Fishin"

From Lake Iwanttobethere {650,008}

What a difference twenty-four hours can make. A day ago I was sitting on my chair outside along the Puddle Humper cleaning the hull and giving it a good polish. I got one side done and the transom clean and ready to mount the new transducer. Between moving the chair down the hull I played a game of hide and go seek with the grand daughter, we shared good juice on the deck and counted birds. Bass thermometer was resting just above seventy and I was thinking it might have been a good day to put on some shorts, then yesterday came.

Heavy wind and rain and a thirty degree temperature drop changed things real quickly. Went to bed with the sound of rain on the windows and the cabin bustle up to keep the wind at bay. This morning finds a few missing shingles on the roof, down branches across the yard and snow. The dogs and I head out for an inspection and find metal trim from the work shed twisted and hanging by a single screw. The new shop came through it just fine but the wood shop needs some love when the weather clears. Snow is melting quickly but ice on the deck and steps makes you walk with your eyes down. Other side of the lake has reports of as much as twelve inches of heavy wet snow and down power lines. I have a feeling no one is talking about an early fishing opener today.

Over at Chucks he had a busy night, he had just put out his new chicks in the coop and he brought them back in the cabin for the night. Like a doting daddy he didn't want to lose his new chicks to a storm. Rain gage shows a little over two inches and we need the water so there will not be to much complaining. I was thinking of putting the rain barrels out and I forgot to do that, they would have been filled if I had remembered. I lost a big limb on one of my apple trees and that is bad, already I am thinking how many apple pies I will lose. When the wind dies some I'll go out with the saw and trim it back. The wood will be saved to get burned in the fireplace come thanksgiving. At least we will get the rich apple smell of the burning limb that I will cut to fireplace lengths.

Yesterday was a reminder that it is still spring and we are away from summer weather, water in the lake is cold and leaves are still budding. When I was out with the grand daughter we saw two bees, I'll bet they are hiding out somewhere trying to figure what happen to. So I guess I should put my boots on and head outside and do some cleaning. I really don't want to have to go to the shed and find a snow shovel, I thought we were done with them. Suppose a pair of gloves would be a good idea too. From Lake Iwanttobethere {651,670}

Clean up is complete, at least till the next storm comes along. Duncan helped drag branches to and from the fire pit and I trimmed up the apple tree that lost the limb. The limb is now in fireplace lengths and tucked behind the shop so as to not get mixed in with the general firewood. Had to climb the ladder and replace a couple of shingles on the cabin and over on the shop a few pole barn screws were used to secure the metal trim back in place. Even put the rain barrels out so when the next storm arrives I will be gathering water. I actually came out pretty good as there were others on the lake that loss power overnight and a few cabins loss some siding. Hammering Hank and Skinny will be busy working on insurance claims for the next couple of weeks. I was at the Lodge yesterday and one of the guys who lives down by the narrows said the wind was so strong he thought he was in a remake of the Wizard of Oz. He spent the better part of the morning looking for a stack of plywood pieces that he had stored out by his barn.

This morning I helped out the son as his clothes dryer died the day before. We hauled it out of his house and tossed it in the back of the Dodge along with another dryer that I had been meaning to get rid of. I made the run to Mike's scrap yard with the dryers and a few tires. Very satisfying to toss the dryers out the back of the truck and watch them break open when they hit the concrete apron. We then went to go see Big Earl's brother in law who owns the appliance store in town. Big Earl must have called ahead because his brother in law was not around but a lady clerk found us at the door and escorted us back to the dryers without being asked. She kind of gave off the attitude that us men would need help in selecting a dryer. I have bought a few dryers in my time for myself and have been along for the son and daughter when they bought theirs. If ya have a pick up truck you get invited a lot to go buy appliances.

Took us about five minutes to find a floor model that fit the son's price range and lucky for us it had dent on it so we worked a little on getting the price down some more. After asking the clerk about how well the dryer would work for wet boots and boat cushions she raised her eyes some and mentioned something about the warranty. We loaded our selection on to a flat cart and rolled it to the front of the store. We paid at the front counter and she asked if we needed help in loading the dryer. Since she was the only one there I was tempted to tell her yes, just to see how she was going to do it. I was thinking we could deal on the price some more after she scratched the dryer up some. The son told her we would be just fine and we loaded it in the Dodge and we were on our way. As we were driving back to Del's I told him that he was getting old, "How is that" he said. " Well, you look to be excited over getting a new dryer" He just gave me a look and nodded, I think he agreed a little.

As we drove down the road with him pointing out potholes to avoid he told me to swing in to the Masterbaiters shop, there was a rod there that he wanted to look over. Since he just saved some money on the dented floor model what he saved would just about cover the price of a rod he had been eyeing. For a moment there I was thinking like my wife and I was going to mention that he just spent a bunch of money to buy the dryer so he had not saved anything but then I thought a new rod is a good idea and turned into the bait shop lot. From Lake Iwanttobethere {653,613}

Every morning the dogs Bud and Barney get a vitamin C tablet hidden in part of a piece of sliced cheese. Yesterday the wife came back from the store with some "Cheap" cheese saying there is no need for me to give the dogs their pill with "Good" cheese. This morning I rolled some cheap cheese around Barney's pill and gave it to him only to watch him drop it on the floor. Bud sniffed at the fallen cheese and left it where it lay. With the wife looking over her steaming cup of tea I went back to the fridge and got a slice of good cheese out. I picked up the pill from the floor and wrapped the good cheese around it. Offered it to Barney who ate it from my hand and sat looking for more. I looked at the wife and just said "Nuff said"

Yesterday afternoon there was quite the racket over at Chuck's his niece had brought over nine chickens that she no longer wanted. She had gotten them for Easter for her kids and now that they were no longer chicks they were not so cute. With the rooster making a racket and the four hens complaining about the new additions add the fourteen chicks that Chuck already has and it sounded like I was living next to a school yard. Of course the two horses got into it and Chucks dog Tatter starting baying for no reason. Duncan wanted to go over and see what was happening, the next thing I know and Duncan is back on the deck with a chick in his mouth. Duncan had the look of a kid with a "What is this" look, I might add the chick had the same look. I took the chick away and called Bud over. I gave the chick to Bud and told him to bring it back to Chuck. I then called and told Chuck that Bud was bring a chick back. When Elmer came through the woods and asked if I wanted to go to town I yelled at the wife I was leaving and followed Elmer back to his place.

Sitting in the front seat of Elmer's pickup truck we bounced along the dirt road heading into town. Elmer's old crossman bb gun on the seat between us. We were heading to Henry's Guns, Gears and Granola Shop where Henry was going to look over Elmer's BB gun which Elmer was claiming was "Not shooting straight." Henry's Guns, Gears and Granola Shop I know is an unusual name even for Lake Iwanttobethere but as Henry puts it " You need to diversify" when you are in a small town. We arrived at Henry's to find a few other trucks parked on the street and a few guys inside eyeing Henry's selection of bb and pellet guns. It being Spring time the second squirrel season was in full swing. Not to be confused with the fall small game season the second season is more of a battle of property protection fought over bird feeders and bird nests and not really sanction by the state.

Not everyone has squirrels like Ed and Eddie in their yard. Some of them dudes can really clean out bird feeders and make a mess. Elmer was here not because of the Ed and Eddie but his ongoing battle with the groundhogs that work his garden over. Pepper is not as quick as she one was and the ground hogs have her pretty much figured out. This year Elmer was going to use his bb gun to 'Persuaded" the ground hogs to relocate. Henry greeted us at the door and taking Elmer's gun we followed him back to the work part of the shop. There on the bench was a big shinny BB Gun connected by an hose to an air compressor. "Wow, what have we here" Elmer said. Henry with a smile on his face said " I am working on my machine gun BB Gun" I rolled my eyes but followed Elmer to the bench. I could already see Elmer with ground hogs and his new mini gatling BB gun, from Lake Iwanttobethere {655,244}

Raining here at Lake Iwanttobethere and there is some wind and it is cool out. I thought I saw a few snow flakes earlier this morning and the robin on the deck railing did not look to happy. I am sure he was upset with his wife for talking him into coming up north so early this year. But even with the rain there is always something to do or something is going on. The youngest grand daughter spent the night but she has already left this morning. She had a Play Date planned and could not be late. I don't ever recall having a play date, just something they do currently I have been told. When I asked the grand daughter why we don't have play dates she told me we can't because I don't run.

So after watching season three of Scooby Doo on the dvd player with her I engaged her in a conversation of why I can't have a play date. I thought I had a pretty good argument, I mean I can still swing, go on the teeter totter and play trucks in the sand box. Granted I would have to be the road construction foreman and any road I started would be completed on time and under budget. I can go wading and I can even eat a happy meal, I explained all this to her and the fact that I can drive. She took it all in and as she was eating her peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I could see her thinking it over. In the end she said "But you can't run, maybe you could have a play date with Uncle Chuck, I don't think he can run either!"

Just before bedtime we had another event, she lost her first tooth! The wife blames me and the peanut butter sandwich I made but the grand daughter said her tooth was loose and she just started to wiggle it back and forth and out it came. The wife took her tooth and taped it on a recipe card and wrote down the day and time. Grandmothers think teeth should be put in the scrap book whereas the granddaughter asked me how much do I think the Tooth Fairy will give her for it. Seems the granddaughter had been talking with her cousins and knows all about the Tooth Fairy, putting the tooth under your pillow and finding cash in return. Also something about getting more if you do it at dad's house instead of at grandpa's house. When bedtime came she took her tooth and put it on the dresser far away from the bed. I asked her about putting it under her pillow and she said it is better on the dresser where the Tooth Fairy can't get it. This morning it was the first thing she looked for when she got up.

So the cabin is quiet again and all I have is some water dripping off the eves. Dogs are all sprawled in their favorite spots catching some well-deserved zzz's I think they like having grand kids visit but the quiet is nice when they are gone. I looked over the Honey Do List and there is not really anything on it that I want to do. I could grab a book and do some reading but even that does not sound appealing right now. The wife seeing that I am restless heads into the kitchen and I can soon hear the sound of banging pots and pans. The phone rings but she answers it and I can hear her laughing and then she comes in the den and tells me that I need to go over to Chuck's. I get up out of my chair and ask her " Something break, does he need a hand with something?" ' O no" she says " I just made a play date for you to" from Lake Iwanttobethere {656,250}

Some sun shinning this morning and I am hoping that it stays. Cool the past few days and that is in the forecast from Sunshine Ray. I almost thing he just repeats the same thing every day. Partly cloudy sky, chance of rain and temperatures a little below normal. I think it has been well over a week since we had a really nice day out and that was just to tease us I am thinking. I still have the other half of the Puddle Humper to clean and the chair sits alongside it just where I left it. I have been waiting for a nice day to put the rest of the deck furniture out but that has not happen. The worse part is I still have that cold hanging on, the one that everyone says last six weeks. Mine is now into week five and I am hoping the six week is the correct call. I don't want to start fishing season with a cold.

After what was looking to be an early start to spring people have reined things back now. I have not heard a lawn mower running for a while and I did see a snowmobile on a trailer the other day. Now at Big Earl's all of his chicks are gone, sold to customers and the water tanks used as pens are stacked out back of the store. Fishing department has a few people wandering through it but more seem to be in the outdoor living section of the store. There always seems to be someone lifting the lid and kicking the tires on a BBQ The Chicken Shack open up on Saturday and a decision had to be made. Chicken Shack or down to the park and try some smelt at the Smelt Fry Tent. The only fair was was to try them both so lunch at the Shack and dinner at the fry.

The county has already come and taken all of their orange barrels from storage, all except the ones that Hammering Hank hid behind the Lodge garage. On Saturday with some help from some bored Lodge members the picnic tables and fire rings were all placed along with the fifty-five gallon garbage cans. The docks have not been put out yet, well there is just the one that rests on shore and some of the guys put it in themselves. The pink fish cleaning house is open and Skinny took the power washer to it. It has already been used a few times as some crappies are starting to be caught. Water is not warming up as quick as everyone thought it was going to just a few weeks ago. Seagulls are back working the park in the morning, not a big group but I imagine they will grow as the weather improves. Geese are swimming just off the bank and they are for the most part paired up.

Deer have disappeared, no doubt back deep in the woods again. I have heard the drumming of some grouse back behind the cabin. Duncan's ears perk up when the drumming starts and he tilts his head from side to side trying to locate the sound. He looks at me and the woods but I don't make any move. He will learn that he has to leave the birds alone in the spring so we will have something to chase come fall. Sun is still shinning, maybe it will warm up today and I can get back to work on the Puddle Humper. If I don't do something here soon the wife will put the winters do list back out and point at a few things that I could be doing. From a quiet Monday here at Lake Iwanttobethere {657,887}

The other day I was looking for something to do but not really looking too hard or too far. The past week I have been doing some research for some traveling music. I thought that since I am going to be on the road everyday during the month of June heading to a fishing spot I need some traveling tunes. I took one of my pocket size fishing notebooks and started writing down tunes that I would like to hear, I figure about a hundred songs would make for a pretty good base to work with. Some Eagles, some Doors, got to play some Doors music when heading home from the lake. Dark night maybe a little light rain falling and that warm summer breeze coming through the driver's window with the sound of a piano rip from Rider on the Storm.

Anyway so when I would hear a tune or think of one I would write it down in the little notebook. Of course people would see me writing and I would tell them what I am doing. Everyone has a song or two to add and once they have given me one they will stop me on the street to add a few more. Some I will write down and hit myself in the head for not thinking about them and others will be rejected but I will make It look like I am writing them down. It has gotten so bad that people will drive by and shout at me a song title, wave and keep on driving. On more than one occasion who ever I have been with at the time will ask me what that is all about and I will tell them. They then add a few more songs to my play list.

Yesterday afternoon I was at the DMV to pick up my fishing license and tabs for the truck. The gal waiting on me took my driver's license and printed up my fishing license. When she returned she handed me my license and said "A horse with no name" I looked at her blankly and just said "What" guy behind me snickered and then she said "For your song list" I took my note book out of my back pocket and added it to the list, put a little * by it, that one I might use. I already have a hundred and twenty-five songs and I am thinking maybe a hundred and fifty might be doable. But they keep coming, almost going to have to separate them into rock songs or old rock. The other thing is everyone tells me that when I get all the songs together they sure would like a copy of the list or maybe I could burn a few CD's for them?

I had dinner last night again down at the smelt fry tent, nice basket of smelt, onion rings and some French fries. Mindy and Mandy had some of their Lake Iwanttobethere Root Beer on hand and I ate my fill of the little buggers. Almost made it through the entire meal without anyone offering me any song tips when a loud argument broke out over by the root beer keg. Couple of guys were arguing over who was the better lead singer for Journey, Steve Perry or Steve Augeri I thought it was going to come to blows when they both stopped and pointed at me. The group came over to my picnic table and standing there waited for me to speak. Licking my fingers I just sat and looked up at them. "You decide" one of them said. " Why me" I replied. "Well your the one with THE LIST" I took a big bite of onion ring and looked away, all I wanted was a little traveling music, from Lake Iwanttobethere {658,936}

Blue sky, nothing but blue sky's, blue sky's is all I see... Got that tune stuck in my head for some reason. Perfect timing it looks like, have to make a trip and see Doc Burriem today, Still coughing away from the cold that just does not want to go away. I figure the weather will clear just as I get ordered to bed or something. So yesterday it started off wet but got decent by midafteroon. I hit a few stores in town working on my list for fishing opener. Went to Dan's Auto and got a quart of oil for the outboard and to the Masterbaiters Shop to look at some lures and bought a new cup holder for the Puddle Humper. Bug spray was on the list but I never made it over to the General Store. I got side tracked looking to find some spray paint that would match the lower unit on the Puddle Humper's outboard. I did get the hull all cleaned and I noticed the paint wearing away on the motor so I thought I would touch it up.

Dogs finally are all up and waiting at the door to get out, I let them out and stepped out on the deck myself. The blue sky is deceptive, it is not all that warm out. Matter of fact a pretty stiff wind is blowing and you can hear it in the trees. No leafs yet but they, the trees are full of buds. I can see pretty clearly out to the dirt road and as I move to get out of the wind I watch a gray four door car zipping down the road. A rooster tail of dust behind it, I have see the car a few times, it belongs to a new fellow on the lake. Story is he works in the big city and makes the commute from the lake in. Guy always seems to be in a big hurry which really does not fit in to the more relax life style out here. I'll have to talk to Frank the plow driver and see if he can put down a few dirt speed bumps in front of my place.

Two weeks till fishing opener and there is that feeling growing in the air. More boat trailers being pulled around town heading to the car wash or down to the lake. Guys in boats just off shore running motors and just getting wet. Few empty trailers driven by wife's pacing pontoons driven my husbands to waiting docks. Wife's in warm trucks sipping flavored coffee while husbands with hats pulled down tight take cold spray in their faces. Dusty trucks at the feed store jockey for position to be loaded and the lumber mill has the second shift going. At night a few more lights can be seen across the lake as people slowly start coming to the lake to open cabins for the season.

From our vantage point at the Lodge we can look down at the landing and see trucks and cars pull in to park or just to drive up to the water's edge. Sometimes guys will get out and walk on the dock to look down into the water. Hands in pockets like little kids they will kick at something on the dock we can't see then pause to watch a goose fly by. After a few minutes they will make their way back to their pickup and slowly drive back up the access road to go where ever they were going. Within a few minutes someone else will roll down the hill and the scene will be repeated. Old guys at the Lodge will make nickel bets on what kind of truck or car will appear next. Elmer is pretty good at this but then I know he is looking out the side window and watching cars turn in from Main Street, from Lake Iwanttobethere {661,252}

As you know there are a few subjects that are just not written about here at Lake Iwanttobethere We tend to stay away from religion, even father away from discussing mother in laws and we leave our politics at the door. Having said that I am pondering how to address the uproar over a sticker that needs to be attached to our boats and another to be stuck to the side of our trailers. Sticker phobia has even reached the shores of Lake Iwanttobethere. The thought of guys having to go to school to trailer their boats sold a lot of beer in the Lodge last night. I guess all I wanted to say is that even here at the lake we are concern, but remember this is the government and nothing is ever done quickly.

So, I still have this nasty cold, saw the Doc who said "Bobby, you still have a nasty cold" Normally I would nurse the cold and it would get me out of doing stuff around the cabin. But we are but two weeks out from fishing and I don't need no cold to bother me out on the water. If the cold ain't bad enough when is this wind))))))))))))) going to stop? The wind was another topic of discussion at the Lodge. The number one culprit in ruining a good fishing day was voted to be wind. Rain was doable and even cold you can dress for but wind, wind is a real pain in the... I found some spray paint for the Puddle Humpers outboard and I want to get a few coats on it. But with the wind I can't even get some primer down. During the round table discussion last night about the only thing wind is good for us to take the leaves from your yard and sent them down to the neighbors. Of course at times this also works in reverse with his leaves finding a home in your yard plus the neighbors.

With Spring having been here for a few weeks the ladies of the town have gotten together like they do. Warmer weather encourages them to gather in small groups on street corners or at the ever growing number of rummage sales. No longer content just to wave at each other from behind the glass of warm pickups on snow covered streets they now stop and chat. They chat about everything that has happen to everyone else over the long winter. I like many other men on the lake find themselves hearing about things they don't want to hear about over the supper table. In two more week's supper will be eaten from a brown paper bag in a boat floating on the lake, alone. No longer will I have to hear about divorce, new born babies, the coloring of hair or what the Miller kid did. No more conversations will be started with "Well I heard that" all I want to hear is who got a new puppy and what kind is it, which I already hear first hand at the Lodge.

This has been an unusual post, I have flirted with talking about mother in laws, and even hinted at politics. Reading the story to the wife she gave me a look over the top of her nose that I might be flirting with danger in regards to her girlfriends and gossip. All the more reason for the wind to die so I can go work on the boat and go fishing. Even Duncan knows something is up as he has been spending more time out in the shop because that is where Bud and Barney are hiding out from the wind. I had to finish writing this on the laptop sitting at the work bench, the wife was wandering around with her wooden spoon in hand mutterings something about gossip and just having conversations with her friends. It's been a long spring, I need to go fishing, from Lake Iwanttobethere {663,490}

Timing is everything, ain't that the truth! Yesterday the wind finally died and I spent some time outside, actually most of the afternoon. I started a fire in the pit and with the big loppers close at hand I did stuff that needed to be done around the cabin. I would pause from time to time to cut down fallen branches smaller and feed them to the fire. As we all have done when doing anything you get sidetracked, most of the afternoon was like that. I didn't really step out the door with any project in mind I just kind of wandered from one job to another. With a fire started I added down branches and did some pruning. Some scrap pieces of wood found their way from the wood shop to the fire and a passing thought was given to hauling out some deck furniture.

For some reason I set off in search of a missing gas can, which I did not find but did find the can labeled for mix gas. I had just enough gas in it to fill the small tank of the leaf blower and of course I started it. Next thing I found myself blowing gravel off the sidewalk and cleaning up around the boathouse. With that done I looked for some oil for the gas can and found none. A list was then started, with two-cycle oil penciled in along with a new gas can. Some where in there I got a couple of coats of primer on the lower unit of the boat motor. Took a chunk of skin off a knuckle when trimming a branch and snuck a soda out of the cabin without being seen. Got the cover off the BBQ and moved it on to it's place on the deck and added propane to the need list. Fed more branches to the fire and added a couple of pieces of birch.

Fogged the snow thrower, I think we are safe from having to use it again. Pulled the tiller from back under the garage stairs and pushed the snow thrower in it's place. Added a couple of more hooks to the rafters in the new shop and hung two step ladders that have been in the way all winter, added more branches to the fire. Looked at hauling out the garden tractor but decided I would save that for another day. Did get the push mower out and added fresh gas to it, thought about starting it but then I would be mowing and I thought I would save that for another day to. Sometime in the past few day's dandelions have appeared so I got the weed spray out and hosed them down. Added more branches to the fire and stood near the flames for a while letting the heat dry my pants from the over spray.

Got distracted when Mark the mailman dropped off the mail, a few catalogs there and I sat down on the deck and leafed through them. One was a cigar catalog which reminded me of my cigar order. I called down to Marv's Smoke and Magazine shop and told him to go ahead with my order. With fishing season less then two weeks away the stogies should be here on time. Grand kids came by after school and I put them to work. Them little fingers are just the right size for picking up twigs and feeding the fire. Not to mention they are closer to the ground then I am and have an easier time doing all that stooping and picking. They were rewarded with some sticks to cook hot dogs on and we didn't add any more wood to the fire. Soon the sound of sizzling dogs could be heard and with buns and a bag of chips we all sat on the deck and watched the fire burn.

Today it is raining, from Lake Iwanttobethere {666,227}

Seventy in the shade? That is what Stormy Clearweather is forecasting for today. Yesterday it was not that warm and rain gave way to thick fog that the lake and trees disappeared into. Over night the temperature rose and some more rain fell and this morning there has been a change. Leaves have blown open on the birch and popple trees and the grass turned a deeper shade of green. Maple and oak trees are still not sure and buds are still closed. Already this morning I have been into town and it looks like the rest of the seagull relatives have arrived. A large flock was working over the grounds of the park and I am sure feeding was easy. I stepped out late last night to let the dogs out for there last bathroom break for the night and I saw Duncan with his nose to the ground walking daintily. I stepped off on to the grass and saw that the ground was covered in worms and Duncan didn't know where to step.

This morning I was down at the Masterbaiters Shop, Vicki had asked if I could open a couple of times this week for her. Not much to do but someone needed to be around for deliveries and this time of year someone is always in the shop eyeing the lure wall. Actually made a couple of sales and did not buy anything myself, that does not often happen. On the ride back to the cabin and I started to count boats on trailers, finally more boats then snow machines. Arrived home to find a couple of robins looking pretty content standing on a section of wood fence. I don't think they could eat any more worms and I am willing to bet that flying was not on their list of things to do at that moment. Today I think I will take the cover off the Puddle Humper and install the new fishing graph. I will plan on the entire afternoon for something that should take an hour but if I plan the entire afternoon I will be on schedule.

I do like this time of the year, we are ten days away from the start of fishing season and it is like the second Christmas. I can almost daily look for Mark the mailman or Luke from UPS to stop by the cabin with an order I have placed. Yesterday some fishing lures were delivered and they went right from the box to the table in the shop. Guess I could also do that today, reload the tackle boxes. I still have all the lures spread out on the table and I will admit that I have added to a few piles and have order a few other lures to balance the piles. Cans of insect spray are now neatly stacked along the edge as I needed some for the boat, the truck and of course here at the cabin. I even emptied the river knapsack as I am making a complete inventory. As far as I know the wife has not seen the table top, if she did I am thinking she would post a rummage sale sign at the bottom of the drive and sell it all.

On the music front I have made up ten CD's for the Tahoe and have enough music to last several road trips without hearing the same song twice. I have been going through them as I drive around town and already I am in a better mood. No more having to listen to the constant car commercials from the big town south of us or the play by play of yet another baseball game lost. I will listen later in the summer when the team has gotten it together and with a warm night and water lapping against the Puddle Humper it will be more relaxing. For now I am going to go put some shorts on and enjoy today, Fishing is only ten days away and I think I see the sun coming out! From Lake Iwanttobethere {667,212}

Well, we got our seventy degree day and now we are paying for it. Wind and rain and more rain and more wind and temperatures have fallen to about fifty. After the other night of sitting on the deck wearing shorts and smoking a cigar while nursing a beer this is a rude awaking to the fact that it is still only spring. Never got the new graph installed on the Puddle Humper, I got distracted. Had good intentions and was getting things together when Duncan found something dead to roll in. Since Duncan now needed a bath Buddy and Barney had to pay the price to. Everybody got a bath and had to stay on the deck till they dried off. They do all smell a lot better then what they did, The wife suggested that since I was on a roll I should wash the cats, told her the only way I was going to do that was with the power washer.

All the deck furniture was pulled out of storage and set up on the deck. Luke from UPS came by and my spray paint for the lower unit of the Puddle Humper came early. Of course I had to go paint the lower unit then. While I was at it the prop got taken off and I filled the flukes and gave that a paint job to. I figured I still had time to put the graph on and I hauled out a battery only to find it dead. On to the battery charger it went and I retired to the deck to smoke a cigar and enjoy the evening. Turkey vultures were soaring over head and a few bees buzzed on by. Robins were calling as they were still feeding on worms that didn't make it back underground to safety. A watchful eye on a few hornets making sure they didn't land anywhere close. Wife didn't want to cook so off to Amy's Bakery she went. Dinner was subs, chips and cold beer and I was thinking this might be the start of a nice summer, I was wrong.

Fog and rain and wind, sweat pants made a return and a hoodie was needed to go out and stand with your back to the wind off the lake. Windows were closed but at least they all have their screens in them. Dogs smell good and they got their monthly tick treatment, we just need the weather to cooperate now. Tomorrow fishing starts for the guys on the far side of the lake, don't look like it is going to be a warm one for them. Rain in the forecast according to Sunshine Ray for the next five days but should clear in time for our opener. Some where in there I will find time to put the graph on the boat and spend some time with the manual. As usual when putting the boat away for the season it takes but a few hours but when putting it together it takes a few days.

Been at the Masterbaiters shop in the morning for a few hours and helping guys out down there. I feel pretty good about my progress as just about everyone coming into the shop is working on their boat or trailer. Water picks need to be replaced and a few batteries, touch up paint and trailer rollers. Trailer bulbs and a few wiring kits as guys are just replacing the whole mess. Bearing grease and anchor ropes. Landing nets big enough to catch small cars in and bug spray. Even after guys have made their purchases they still take time to chat away, giving out slips of information about where they think the fish will be on opener but not giving away their good spots. Offering tidbits in exchange for other's tidbits. I just kind of lean on the counter and collect it all. Of course with this unusual spring it might all be just guessing, but sometimes.. From Lake Iwanttobethere {668,723}

The far side of Lake Iwanttobethere was pounded by wind and rain for the opener. By late afternoon several of the Lodge members had returned to the Lodge with duck coats soaked and that just washed look. Several trailers were parked in the lot and rain water dripped from the boat plug holes. The Lodge is close enough for members to own licenses in two states and the promise of two fishing openers. Reports were not good and no one really caught any fish to speak of. It was however a good day to get out and if you were a duck hunter and you had the proper apparel to wear. More rain in the forecast but it is not raining right now. Last night thunderstorms came through and we have gone from being wet to being soaked. Even the fire pits have standing water in them and several potholes are the size of Dakota fishing lakes down at the landing.

This morning the Masterbaiters Shop was quiet, I stood just inside the shop with just the screen door between me and falling rain. Bubbling of the minnow tanks was hard to hear over the sound of falling rain on the roof. Whitecaps on the lake and the wind was pushing the waves right along. No one at the public landing but that will be different in a week when this side of the lake is open for fishing. Won't be a parking or camping space open come Friday night. Stormy Clearweather is predicting the rain will stop midweek and temps should rise into the mid sixties for the opener, a definite improvement. By the time Vicki came into the shop I had but two customers, they didn't buy anything but were just looking for information about the farside as we call the other side of the lake. With nothing to report we talked about weather and where we were going to fish on opener. Vicki poured coffee in to her mug and we exchange places at the storm door.

County street cleaners had come through on Friday and for the most part main street was looking good. No sign of last fall's leaf's and what little sand that had been tossed on the main street was now all cleaned up. Signs are up in shop windows welcoming fishermen and a special fisherman's breakfast menu is being offered at the Sunshine Cafe. Smelt tent has been taken down in the park but the mini donut trailer is still there, chained to a tree. As noted before the park is ready with orange barrels out and the green garbage barrels, picnic tables are in place and fire rings are scattered about. Gas-N-Go has their pile of firewood in red colored mesh bags stacked outside right next to the block ice cooler. They are now open twenty-four hours a day through summer. Hand printed sign in the window says you can get fishing license and AIS stickers, line through the AIS part. Rumor going around that we may get an inspector for the lake, Big Earl said his niece had applied for a position, but she is still in the big city going to school.

Doors are open down at Dug's garage and the sound of an outboard can be heard in the test tank. Some blue smoke is coming out and mixing with the smell of the recent rain and the sound of robins in the air it makes for a good Sunday morning. Not everyone is open this morning as this is the last Sunday before the opener. The last time most shop owners will be able to sleep in on a Sunday for several months. We have gone from months to weeks to days and soon we will be counting hours till opener. Some might say the most important day in the year, well at least here at Lake Iwanttobethere. {669,680}

Looks to be a nice day today, I hope the first of many. Up early and sunshine was coming through the skylight. Already Edd the squirrel was hanging upside down on one of the bird feeders and seeds were scattered around the base on the ground. Dogs were let out to do their thing and came back with wet paws and dirty up the kitchen floor. Wife was heading out the door to work and she just looked at me and the kitchen floor and said "You are going to take care of that, right?" I nodded yes and then went back to what ever I was really thinking about at the time.

Pretty big do list to get to today, yesterday was a busy one and kind of a bonus as it was forecasted to rain but never did. Mowers were taken out of storage and the riding one needed the battery charged. Work trailer was cleaned off and the decking is getting a little soft so I went down to the lumber yard and picked up a sheet of green treated ¾ plywood. Moving the plywood was a reminder that I am getting old. Had to weigh a hundred pounds and after I man handled it into the Dodge I decided that I should stop at the Dairy Queen to reward myself for not breaking anything. Later in the afternoon I did get it on the work trailer and screwed it down, someday down the road I'll have to paint it to match the trailer but for now I am good to go. Which means today I can load up the garden tractor and go mow this piece of property that I have. Or maybe I'll mow it tomorrow, don't want to box myself in you know.

Pulled the tarp off the Puddle Humper and I have it on my do list today to give it a good cleaning and start hauling stuff out and loading the boat. Today and tomorrow are going to be nice and rain for Friday then a warm weekend for opener. I doubt if I will fish it but I will be ready to go on the following Monday. Some bad news to report as I have lost one of my apple trees, a close inspection showed the main trunk has split top to bottom and no signs of life. I was hoping it was just going to be a late budder but the other trees have already gone to blossoms. Yesterday some time was spent down at the nursery looking at apple trees. A problem there as I don't know if I want to pick up a standard tree or a dwarf. Just another example of getting old and if I want to see apples or not. I am thinking maybe I'll buy four trees, one for each grand kid, if I do that maybe they will take care of them.

So on the do list is the removal of the apple tree, it will not go to waste as the limbs will get cut up for holiday fires and smaller branches will get chipped to be used in the smoker. Chuck said we might be able to send the trunk through the saw mill and make some boards, that might be an idea. Perhaps I can make something out of the wood and still keep the old apple tree around in part. Duncan is becoming a pest with the back door bell, we thought it was cute when he learned how to jump up and hit the door bell with his paw but now has grown tall enough that he can stand up and lean against the cabin wall with one paw as he rings the door bell with the other. With the inside door open now he is constantly going in and out through the storm door, he does not want to miss anything so he has to be everywhere. As I am writing this he is at it right now, bell is ringing and Bud is laying at the floor here looking at me with one eye open and the other closed as if to say "He's your dog" from Lake Iwanttobethere {671,098}

Traffic has started to pick up along Main Street and of course Bass Avenue. Lake residents are returning to open cabins for the summer. Every year a few more people hit retirement age and now they don't have to take time off from work to come up early. With the opening of cabins Earl gets busy at the General Store, Mouse traps and rakes are big sellers along with everything that everyone has forgotten to bring with them. Usually they know right where it is and that is generally on the kitchen table back at home. Bug spray, paper plates, salt and pepper shakers tackle boxes and someone always forgets the cabin key.

Early in the season we call them "White Legs" which is not really a true way to identify tourists at the beginning of summer. This time of year everyone has white legs in this part of the country. Later as summer moves along the "White Legs" does fit a lot of the people who come from the big city to fish at the lake. The guys who golf come up with dark tans on arms and necks but then they wear cutoffs showing off their white legs. A couple of days in the fishing boat will turn that white into the red of sunburn and then pants will go back on. We have noticed over the years that people will go to tanning booths to go on vacations down south but will show up as white as a newspaper here in the summer. Of course the locals have been wearing shorts for awhile and the color is starting to come in, a few even might have a little tan but they have to be outside all the time.

Weather is shaping up to be a lot better on this side of the lake then it was on the Farside for their opener. Some rain for Friday but after that seven days of dry short wearing fishing weather is forecasted. Docks are all out at the public landings and Hammering Hank and Skinny have been busy putting in private docks. All the fast food places are open in town and the Chicken Shack is doing a brisk business already. Gray Goose and The Eagle's are having happy hours and I have already seen Tinker flying his plane low over town. At the Lodge we are stocked and for the first time this Spring the candy case is filled. Beer delivery arrived yesterday and the Johnson brothers are out making deliveries of their Needabeer and Howaboutale. Mindy and Mandy have been stocking shelves with the Lake Iwanttobethere Root beer and as always they are attention getters when they wear their German beer waitress outfits. The Lake Iwanttobethere Maple Syrup is featured at both the Sunshine Cafe and the Dew Drop Inn. Also can be bought at Ma and Pa's grocery as well as Big Earl's

Around here Elmer and Marv have plans to fish off Elmer's dock at 12:01 maybe drink a few beers and hoist a few Wild Turkey's to start the fishing season. Chuck and his lady friend are planing on fishing the river in the Jon boat and I will probably be still working on getting the Puddle Humper together. I keep getting sidetracked on other small projects but I did yesterday get all my mowing done so that will be something I will not have to do next week. I figure I will get the boat wet Monday or Tuesday and have something to report later in the week. Hoping you are getting ready to head to the lake, don't forget the paper plates and especially the cabin key, from Lake Iwanttobethere {671,551}

HIYA from Lake Iwanttobethere, a late start this morning, the second day of opening weekend. Didn't get back to the cabin till way after dark last night as I had to make the rounds. As is the Lodge's tradition members take shifts down at the public access helping to load and unload boats at the landing. Since I already had plans for today I worked a double shift in the water yesterday. With not a cloud in the sky I might have gotten a tad to much sun and my face feels like it this morning. During the course of the day I helped out several fishermen and they all invited me to stop by their campsites to have a beer or two and sample some of their fish dinners. No spam or peanut butter sandwiches last night, fish were caught by many.

Around dusk I started to make my rounds after putting wet waders away. I didn't have to walk too far before I was called to share a camp fire with one of our repeat opener fishing groups. With a Hamms in hand I heard about the ones that got away and tasted some that didn't. After twenty minutes or so I moved along and yet another fishermen who was helped at the landing invited me to his fire and another Hamms and another fish story was shared. I kind of loss track of how many fires I visited but I shared some time with a lot of old friends and made a few new ones. During the day between the first shift at the landing I spent some time helping out at the Masterbaiters Shop. Leeches were hot and Vicki ran out of the ones she had packaged the night before so I helped pack up some more.

A couple of nice northern came into the shop and one is already on the fishing contest board. As always a few more were loss but the biggest loss of the day came from a young guy who had borrowed his mother's cell phone. His ma didn't want him to be out on the water alone and he called her to tell her he had caught one really nice walleye and was looking for another to make a meal. As he was talking he got a hard bite and with a little to much gusto he set the hook and dropped his ma's cell phone to the deck where it bounced overboard. I am told the cell is in twenty-two feet of water and the young guy now knows what to get his mother for a present today.

A pretty good opener I would say, some wind but not too bad, lots of sunshine and fishermen were catching fish. The big access below the Lodge was busy and parking spots were filled quickly. A couple of local kids were renting their bikes out to fishermen. For a dollar you could rent a bike and put it on your trailer, drive down the road to find a parking space and then ride the bike back. By noon the kids were holding on to a wad of singles and doing much better than the girls with the lemonade stand.

The pink fish cleaning house was a busy place and loud talk and laughter could be heard well after dark. By ten or so things had quieted down but you could still hear the occasional loud laugh and the smell of wood smoke was thick in the air. As the lake got quiet you could pick out the sound of hissing lanterns and the crackling of burning wood in the fire pits. Outhouse doors slammed closed by new springs echoed in the darkness and the crack of an opening beer can was a common sound heard last night. With the sun gone the flannel jackets came out and it was not too long and a lot of people called it a night. The best part was no skeeters flew last night, but I don't think it would have mattered much, it turned out to be a pretty good opening night, from Lake Iwanttobethere {672,963}

So I went fishing yesterday, a day later then I had planned but things just kind of get in the way of all good plans. Of course there is never anything bad about fishing in mid week especially when you find yourself as the only one at the landing with your choice of parking spaces. Every fishing trip is never the same as any others and yesterday was no different. I launched the Puddle Humper got the new graph up and running and had already figured out enough about it so I could at least use it. So many bells and whistles on it will be awhile before I can use them all. More than likely I will never use all the functions but there may come a time when I am bored on the water and will play with it.

The highlight of the afternoon may have been the waterspout. In all my thousands of hours on the water I have never seen a waterspout while I have been out fishing. I had just thrown a few casts into a small little cove and was moving down the shoreline when I saw a big swirl in the water just a few feet from shore. I was thinking a big fish but the swirl kept going around and in a second it was whipping water around and wandering in my direction. I could feel the sudden breeze in my face and water droplets were hitting my glasses. I was thinking to myself this is kind of cool as the little water spout increased in size and the wind grew even stronger. It was about thirty feet away from the rear of my boat and I was thinking of reaching for my video camera and trying to capture it but I kept watching.

I didn't go for the camera as I was having a hard time seeing it myself so I just watched as it came closer to the boat. When it went over the motor and rocked the boat I was having some second thoughts about how cool this was. But before I could do anything it had gone by and was heading out away from the boat and into the lake. It went maybe another thirty feet before just disappearing into a ring of water and the wind that was with it was gone. I wiped water from my glasses and looked to see if anything had been sucked out of the boat. I reached down to the new graph and marked a wayward point, going to remember this spot.

Back to fishing and I am thinking there is going to be much that will outdo the water spout. An hour later I was looking at my broken line and a easy four pound bass jumping with my top water lure in her mouth. Shook my head and tied a new lure on, would have liked to have caught that one. I was tossing spinner baits and a prop bait at some quiet water, caught a few fish and missed a few more. Where a creek enters I found some green weeds and the northers were in there. I switched to a buzz bait and no sooner would it hit the water then small hammer handles would make a rush at it. The predicted clouds came and it got dark out early, I headed to a bay where I have caught some nice pike early in the year before.

Using a big spinner bait I added a big plastic trailer on it and began to fan cast the area. I was a hundred yards away from shore but there is a sweet spot I found here. I felt a tick, and thought weeds then a second tick which made me set the hook. Nothing came back but the end of my leader. The big spinner bait, trailer and ten inches of my twelve inch leader had been bitten off, I marked another wayward point on the graph, from Lake Iwanttobethere {674,499}

Silent Sunday here at the Lake and I was just out on the deck and I think everybody is participating today. Of course it might be that yet another thunderstorm just came through and it is windy out. Kind of a good news bad news kind of day, the good news is the rain is welcomed the bad news I can't go fishing. Can't go fishing but not because of the rain but because I can't hold a rod. Did one of them stupid things that guys always seem to do. The other day when it was near ninety out I decide I should put in some four inch holes in the soffet of the new shop. Had just not gotten around to it last year when I built it. Well short story short I was on top of the ladder drilling a four inch hole with the big half inch drill holding it one handed when the drill bit hit the edge of a 2x4 and came to a quick stop. The drill however did not and my wrist got tweaked good.

After a few minutes of moaning and groaning I did what all guys would do, I climbed back up the ladder and finished drilling the hole and two more. By the time I installed the round covers and took the ladder down the wrist was starting to talk to me. I retired to the deck and put an ice cold Hamms between my fingers, as we all know one should ice an injury. The wife came out looked at my wrist and told me "I think you broke something" I wiggled my fingers for her and said, "Nope, just a good sprain" Yesterday was spent trying to protect the wrist from any further injury but you know what that is like. I should have just walked around with a sign pointing to my wrist that said "Hit Me" Bud was first to get into the act, I was laying in bed reading a book when he decided to jump up and join me. He jumped up and eight-five pounds of lab landed on my wrist. The howl that came from me must have been a good one because Duncan in the kitchen started to howl back.

Speaking of Duncan I never realized how much he likes to chew on my fingers until he latched down on my wrist. I quickly jerked away and then he thought I wanted to play and went after the wrap I had on the wrist. The rest of the day was kept keeping the wrist away from anyone or anything that could harm it. Chuck came over and saw the wrist wrap, I told him the story and he just grinned and made some comment like "Hurts eh" I retired to the den where I thought about writing a story but doing it one handed is a pain. I figured I would just sit on the swing and tuff the rest of the day out by icing the wrist with a few more Hamms.

So today finds me typing one handed with a little help from the right hand. Rain in the forecast for the next few days so maybe when it stops I will be feeling better. Of course walking around the cabin with a wing clipped so to speak sure does get me out of doing anything on the Honey Do List. Tomorrow is our thirty-fifth wedding anniversary, supposed to be having a surprise BBQ and have family and friends come over. I already know about it as Pa asked me about steaks that were ordered. If I play it right I won't even have to raise a good hand tomorrow! From Lake Iwanttobethere {676,574}

Interesting day even for me. With my fishing challenge starting in nine days I need to get the wrist in shape. Meaning that it needs to heal real fast, I have been keeping it wrapped and taking stuff to keep the swelling down. It looks pretty good but is tender and I don't have any strength in it. Yesterday morning I drove kids to school and had to have the oldest one snap my seat belt for me. I dropped kids off at school and then went to the Masterbaiters shop. My first problem of the day, it was raining out and no one was in the parking lot. I pulled up right next to the door turned the Tahoe off and then could not get out of the seat belt. Could not push the release button in with the bad hand and could not reach it with the left hand.

A couple of fishermen I knew drove up parked and headed for the door, I beeped the horn and they just waved at me as they ran on inside the shop. I waited for five minutes till they came out and ran back to their pickup. I beeped the horn again and they waved again. This was getting old. I called Vicki on my cell phone and asked her if she could come out and let me out of my truck. A moment later she appeared at the screen door, coffee mug in her hand and waved at me. I lowered my window and we exchanged pleasantries between us, she said something about it is raining out and didn't want to get wet. About that time Elmer drove up and parked along side of me. He open the passenger door and released the seat belt with a grin. I asked how he knew and he said a couple of guys were up at the Lodge telling anyone who would listen that you were stuck in your truck and Vicki called.

A few verbal shots from Vicki and she acted a little concern as she looked at my hand and I retold how I had tweaked it. She asked if I can hold a rod yet and I told her no, told her I saw Doc Buriem who told me to rest it and even when it starts to feel good rest it some more. He also told me I should think twice about fishing on the first unless I was going to switch over and fish walleye. Even a one armed guy can fish for walleye and he chuckled to himself and went on his way. I made my way down to where the spinner baits were hung and cleaned the rack of the four red ones and the last two of the sliver secret baits that I had lost the big northern on. Next on the list was some bigger leaders. The big northern who I have been calling Noreen ate that 30# leader like it was a strand of spaghetti. I found some steel 45# ones and carrying the lures and leaders made my way back to the front counter. I put the lures on my tab and Vicki followed me out and buckled me in. She headed back into the shop talking on her cell "About putting Bobby in his car seat"

I arrived back at the cabin and reached for the long handled screwdriver that I had taken from the tool box. I unbuckled the seat belt using the screwdriver to push on the release and put the lures and leaders in the Puddle Humper. Then I started on this story, this morning I finished it as typing one handed is really slow and I needed the spell checker to fill in a lot of missed letters. At least it is going to be raining so I will not be missing much fishing. I'll just spent some time on the covered swing thinking of Noreen gaining weight out there, from Lake Iwanttobethere

{678,242}

Rain has stopped for today at least, Sunshine Ray is calling for it to start again tomorrow. Rain gage at the Lodge added up to just a tad over four inches in two days. Of course we already knew we had a lot of rain when Elmer was showing Marv how to improve his roll cast in the big puddle that had formed in the Lodges parking lot. Wearing their fly vests and using dry flies with a floating line they practiced in a lull between thunderstorms. Of course the fellows nursing beers inside the Lodge looking out the big windows made comments on Elmers herky jerky motion.

Today finds us with just a few clouds in the sky and some left over strong winds. A big fly hatch leaves us with the buggers every where and sure to be a nuisance for the campers who are coming to the lake for the long holiday. A lot of mowers can be heard echoing around the lake. Residents are trying to get their grass cut before the rains return. Some of them are mowing for the very first time this season and you can hear the sound of a mower hitting a forgotten rock or stump. Sometimes the mower restarts without a problem but sometimes it stays quiet till you hear a single curse word shouted with great enthusiasm ring out across the water. I noticed at the General Store a new push mower was on display just outside the door, yellow price tag tangling from the handle.

The support on my wrist is taking some getting use to. It does act as a reminder not to try and use the hand although I was successful in lifting a six ounce can of tomato paste this morning. But I was defeated by an eight ounce can of pizza sauce a moment later. I have been reduced to drinking my Hamms out of a shot glass. I have always prided myself on being ambidextrous but trying to make French toast on the Lodges grill this morning was messy. Of course when you cover anything with enough butter and Lake Iwanttobethere Maple Syrup it will taste good. Gus was mumbling some comments under his breath as he scraped the mess I left on the grill. He then came over and told me it will not be a problem for him to make lunch for me. I was thinking a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with the crust cut off just to mess with him.

Water has all drained from the parking lot, Skinny cleared the little dam from the drain that Elmer says he had nothing to do with. Pavement is actually dry but the ground is soaking wet. I am glad I will not be tent camping down in the park this weekend. The big smelt tent fry has been erected, people are going to need a place to go if it does rain all weekend. Gus will haul the grill down there and do some BBQing during the day. Well time for me to head back to the cabin, see if I can start the tractor and get my mowing out of the way. Have a dry and safe holiday weekend and stop by the Lodge if you are here at the lake. Now if I can just find someone to snap my seat belt I am out of here, from Lake Iwanttobethere {679,787}

Another silent Sunday here at the lake but there sure is a lot of grumbling. I came into town to pick up the Sunday paper as Jessie the paperboy did not make the delivery to the dock this morning. Some big waves out on Lake Iwanttobethere this morning and winds are still strong and gusting. Water is flowing at the top of the banks on the Mystery River and even as I drove over the bridge I watched a tree trunk pass beneath. Jim from the power company was pulled into a drive and I saw him walking up the drive with a ladder on his shoulder, I'm betting a tree took out a power line.

Late last night another string of thunderstorms came through, not a lot of rain but winds were whipping pretty good. Barney the dog who is a wimp when it comes to thunder was pacing the cabin and even after the storm passed he was still on the move. A few hours later a really big line of storms came through and this time heavy rain did fall and the boom of thunder shook the cabin a few times. This morning I didn't really expect to see a paper in the box on the dock so I was not surprised when I checked. I drove the Tahoe into town and Mark from the county is going to be busy grading washouts. There was one tree down along the side of the road but it looked like someone had already worked it over with a chain saw and dragged it off to the side. Ditches are filled with water and for some reason when I saw all the water I got to thinking we are going to have a really bad sketter hatch here in a few weeks.

I parked at the rear of the Lodge and walked in through the back door, Soon as I came in I could smell wet dog. I came through the kitchen to the Lodge's main room and it looked like a scene from one of them winter camping shows. Just about every space had a tent or sleeping bag hanging or draped over tables and chairs. Both fireplaces were going and the ceiling fans were on. Bar was filled with people and kids eating eggs and bacon and even a few bowls of cereal. Gus was busy serving orange juice and Tess, Hammering Hanks wife was waiting on tables. Didn't take me long to listen in on stories of tents getting filled with rain water and bags soaked. One gal was saying she woke up with night crawlers in her sleeping bag. Gus spotted a few campers needing help when he came in and offered the Lodge to let them dry stuff out. It had kind of snowballed since then and now the Lodge looked like a disaster shelter.

I got myself a glass of juice and headed to the deck, wind chimes were banging loudly as I stood near the rail and looked down at the public access and the campground. No boats on the lake but several boats sitting on trailers with pools of water bowing boat covers. A few people were gathered around portable stoves resting on picnic tables trying to make lunch. Bundled up in layers of coats and sweatshirts, no bare legs to be seen on this day. It took me awhile but then I figured out what was wrong with this picture, there were empty camping spots. A few campers had thrown in the wet towel and packed up and pulled out for home. Can't blame them, it's cold out and windy and more rain is in the forecast. I reentered the Lodge and Gus caught my eye, he looked around him and then back at me. I just shrugged my shoulders, good for business, the campers will return and remember how we helped them out. From Lake Iwanttobethere {681,152}

The Puddle Humper has been wet six out of the last seven days! But it has been because of rain not fishing. By this time we all have some stories about water in basements and over flowing creeks. I was kind of hoping that yesterday was going to be the end to the rain event as we had hail fall. Several cars in town received hail damage as they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. A strong wind came through in mid afternoon with a storm and took green leaves and small branches off trees. Don't see that too often around these parts. Lake Iwanttobethere is holding about as much water as she can, and in some places it is creeping up into yards.

A few docks are treading water and winter boots are being worn by some not because it is cold but to try and stay dry from all the mud. Up at the Eagles Nest some of the campers had to be asked to pack up. The Mystery River was up on the banks and for the first time ever the Town let the campers pitch their tents in the outfield of the softball field. They were not allowed to drive on the field but were allowed to stay till this morning at no charge. It is a mess but it will all dry out sooner or later. Even when it was not raining the streets still ran with water, the ground just can't hold anymore. Today we have already had a few showers but the town is quiet. I think I spotted but two campers down in the campgrounds, everyone else has left.

The Lodges is drying out and the main room looks empty compare to what it was over the weekend. Gus was busy getting the food order together as we actually ran out of some things this weekend. Even the candy display case is empty and I have nothing but crushed boxes in my office. Elmer is grumbling about he should just plant rice in his garden, it looks like a small pond. A few fishermen working the bank down by the Masterbaiters Shop but all they are catching are rockbass. Some trees fell and a few roofs leaked but we are ready to move into summer and hope this is the last of the rain for awhile. It sure does smell good out though, and if you stand and stare at the grass you can watch it grow right before you.

Lilac trees are in full bloom and bird feeders are empty, birdbaths on the other hand are over flowing. This morning Jessie the paper boy was back on schedule and as I went down to the dock to get the paper I saw the old row boat was sitting pretty low in the water. Will have to get the pump out and redo the boat cover. At least with all the rain I am not losing any fishing time as I would not have been out in this weather. The wrist is healing or at the least the swelling is going down so that it feels better. Still can't fasten the seat belt but can now turn off a light switch and pull open the fridge door, no big deal unless you can't do it. Come Friday I am going to see if I can hold a fishing rod and maybe toss one or two off the dock. If I get any pain I am going to stop and wait another week before I try again. I don't want to lose the whole summer by rushing now. I might have to take the daughter out fishing and I will just play guide. At the vary least it will give me time to play with the new graph that I would not have if I was fishing myself. So from Lake Iwanttobethere, stay dry {682,652}

HIYA from Lake Iwanttobethere where the docks are floating and a few boats are still missing. With a second day of no rain the missing boats should be found today as fishermen are back out on the water. One pontoon was found a couple of bays over from it's mooring and was heading across the lake. When the local conservation officer came on it he had to make a couple approaches. Boat kept moving away from him and not till he boarded did he find a nine pound northern on the end of a rod that was secured in a holder. The northern was released and a call made to the owner to come get his boat. The owner was not cited for an unattended line due to the unusual circumstances.

Coming into the Lodge this morning I drove by the access and saw a brown Dodge parked off to the side and a couple of guys sitting at a card table. As I got closer I realized they were invasive inspectors and I pulled along side to have a chat. The two of them were sitting at the table and had a chess set between them. I resisted the urge to ask them if they were playing chess and instead just said HIYA They both said hello in return. We made some small talk and told them they were the first inspectors I had seen or heard about on the lake. They replied that they were supposed to be here for the holiday weekend but had a hard time finding the lake. Some more small talk and one asked if I played chess at all. I answer that I have played a few times but I had been drunk and I think the guys at the Lodge might play with different rules. Seem like nice enough fellows and I told them to have a good day and went on my way.

Yesterday I did some Honey Do things around the cabin, wife spotted me with out my wrist support on trying to cast in the back yard. I got the "Good enough to cast with good enough to work with line." In my defense I only made four little shallow casts and I got a twinge in the wrist so I stopped. Might have to see if I can do some left-handed as I am getting the urge to get on the water and it has been two weeks. I headed over to Chucks as I figured if the wife could not see me then she could not find me for Honey Do work. Chuck was not having a good day either as he was digging post holes for the expansion on his chicken coop. Trouble there was there is so much water in the ground that he would dig a hole and by the time he got finished with the next hole the first hole was filled with water. We went and sat on the porch and drank a beer to figure out what to do next. Chuck made a comment that I am getting pretty good drinking beer left-handed.

I found my way back to the cabin and headed to the shop. The wife had bought one of them poly carts from Big Earl and wanted me to put it together for her. She wanted the cart to move flowers around and the wheelbarrow was getting to be to much for her. So it took me about an hour and a half to put something together that should have taken about fifteen minutes with two hands. Might have taken a little less if I had read the directions and saw the part about putting washers on both sides of the bolts. I had it together and had these extra eighteen washers, that is when I read the double washer line in the directions. Today finds me at the Lodge bright and early, told her I had to go get some grease for the new cart wheels. I have grease back at the cabin but she don't know that. I brought a rod with, might try a few left-handed casts and see what happens, from Lake Iwanttobethere {684,245}

Summer might just have arrived, I know that the summer project for the Lodge is well underway. This year after several winter meetings it was decided that the Lodge was going to build a swing set for the Lodge members. Now in the past the Lodge has donated time and material to provide swing sets down in the park and also at the softball field for the kids. The idea was brought up at Lodge meeting that maybe it is time we here at the Lodge have our own swing set for our adult members. Chuck who has a post hole digger for his tractor was here yesterday digging the holes for the footings and no sooner were they dug then Kenny started up the cement mixer. 8x8 posts were already stacked and precut for the uprights. I was thankful for the bad wrist as I got out of the heavy lifting but did spend time carrying the blue prints in my good hand. Of course the drawings were just some scratch marks on some beer coasters that had been spilled on a few times.

As in most Man-sized projects "The Project" was open to modifications this meant that cup holders would have to be placed where they would not be in the way yet accessible from several angles and heights. The support legs were soon in and a small mistake was noted after the concrete had been poured. Seems there was a crease in the drawing and an extra couple of posts were put in. Rather then take them out we just added them to "The Project" as if they were in the plans. Hard to describe exactly how this changed the layout but if all the swings are swinging at the same time there is a strong chance that several if not all the swings could meet in the center. If you could climb the big Maple and look down at the setup, which Skinny did, he described it as a figure eight demolition derby track. But what are the odds that all the swings would ever meet in the center as you would have to be swinging pretty hard.

As an afterthought we put in a climbing rope with big knots in it and a zip line that would take you right to the Lodges front porch. Now since we had several of the Lodge members on hand to build this it did not take long. Not like some jobs where you are working for someone else and by late afternoon the last bolt was tighten and the swings were installed. It was soon discovered that no one could climb the rope with a beer in their hand. So we would just stand in the bucket of the bobcat and get raised to the top. We had to make a few modifications as the afternoon went on, the zip line was not working out as planned. Hammering Hank was first to kind of miss the porch and released out over the slope leading to the lake. We in the planning committee believed it to be just a fluke till Big Earl failed and landed even farther out on the hill. Luckily he landed on some orange barrels which cushion his fall but he did slide down the mud covered hill. He ended up in the water of the lake but he was going to have to get washed off anyway.

Today we installed an electric winch which will pull you up to the top platform where you can now ride the adjusted zip line. You can hold on to your beer with one hand and the cable with the other. Some guys were off at Mike's junk yard looking for metal to build a slide, it was not on the plans but plans are made to be changed. Hammering Hank's wife Tess even donated to the "The Project" she came over this morning and duct taped an industrial size first aid kit to one of the legs. Like we would ever need it, from Lake Iwanttobethere {686,024}

Not often do I get to call something a ringing success, especially if it has been built in a day with bored Lodge members but.... "The Project" is a success, yesterday it was almost like a playground out back of the Lodge as members were tossing horseshoes and playing bocce ball. There was hardy ever an empty seat on the swing set as members would wander over and sit for a spell. After awhile when they thought no one was watching they would snug their rear ends into the seat and take small steps backwards before lifting their feet off the ground and let their weight take them forward. For some it had been years since the last time they had swung on a swing and at first they were a little self conscious but that soon passed. Like riding a bike, you don't forget how to swing and so they did.

Gus had the BBQ out back and was roasting corn and the sound of polish sizzling and the occasional split of oil on hot coals could be heard then seen as a small puff of smoke. Guys would come over between games and grab a beer and a napkin holding a polish and even though there was plenty of room to sit at the picnic tables they would go sit on a swing. Arms wrapped around the chain with feet spread widely they would sit and eat and drink. Might have been the best sight when Marv and Elmer on their bikes came riding down the back trail. We could hear them before they appeared in view, not the huffing of old men on bikes but the sound of baseball cards clicking on spokes and attached with clothes pins. They rode up and lean their bikes against the swing set and headed for the BBQ

A hand printed note on card stock was pinned to the back door of the Lodge leading out to "The Project"

LODGE MEMBERS ONLY

NO SKATEBOARDS

SMOKING and DRINKING ALLOWED

I might have had something to do with the sign, but no one had signed it.

Later in the day some showers came through and guys abandon the horseshoes pits and the bocce courts. Seeking shelter in the Lodge some watched golf on TV while others sat out on the deck over looking the lake and made comments and wonder out loud if anyone was catching fish. Several boats were off Root Beer Island but it was also the time of day when Mindy and Mandy were known to do their sunbathing on their dock, rain or shine. It being silent Sunday I was in my office getting paper work out of the way but I had my window open. I could hear some laughter from out back and when I got up I spied Elmer pushing Ms. Mary on the swing. No one else was around not even Marv. There had been some rumors around town that Elmer might be seeing someone. I closed the window and went back to my desk but I got to thinking. Maybe the swing can make ya feel young again, I wonder what a slide would do? from Lake Iwanttobethere {687,157}