• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishin report for Lake Iwanttobethere..

Bobby Bass

Made by way down the trail from the Hotel in the cool darkness of the morning. The damp ground quiet under my feet as I tried to move along the trail with out making a noise. Moving just quick enough to cover ground but trying hard not to warm up bundled up in all my clothes. The Hotel thermometer read 33 when I stepped out on to the porch. After a few quiet words exchanged with my friends we all walked across the clear cut and took our own separate trails to our stands. Soon the dim light of the Hotel was left behind and with a shift in the wind the smoke from the stove could no longer be smelled. I paused from time to time, taking time to adjust my pack and look around me. The walk out to the stand always takes longer then the trip back. I arrived at the stand and climbing up, secured my pack and settled in. After a few minutes the coat was zipped back under my chin and my cuffs on my coat pulled down onto my gloves.

With my head resting against the tree I tried just to move my eyes as I looked out over my little area of heaven. Having been in the tree now several times over the last week I was pretty comfortable with the shadows as I knew now what they were. As on cue the area around me started to go from black to gray. No sunrise this morning with the cloud cover. A half hour later and it was as light as it was going to be. I had the right combination of clothes on today and I was as comfortable as a newborn in a fleece blanket. Nothing moving at all, not even a pesky squirrel to break up the quiet. I shifted a little and rested my arms in my lap. The first snow flake fell and landed on my glove. Then another and another. They say no two snow flakes are alike, with the flakes on my glove I started to compare them side to side, yup they were different. Raising my eyes I scanned the area. Looking slowly I swept the ditch ahead of me. The swamp off to my right then back down the trail towards the Hotel. Nothing, I looked at more flakes that had fallen next to the first ones.

I woke up, must have doze off. Snow now covered the ground around my stand. Falling heavy it now covered the bare trees and brush with a blanket of white. Actually I could see farther now and I could make out trees in the cedar swamp. The snow falling in the ditch met the water and melted. The trail and grass now were white. I had a little layer of snow across my pants and jacket. My pack to was covered in white fluffy snow. I moved just a little and under the blanket of snow I flex my arms and back. In mid stretch I saw her. Easing out from the cedar swamp her head up high she was slowly walking down the trail coming to the ditch. Her tail flicking back and forth she would stop and look behind her then move forward a few more steps before putting her head to the ground and her nose rubbing from side to side.

Trying to relax I settled back into the tree, Easing the rife in her direction I turned to face her and waited. It was quiet, I could hear her when she picked up her hooves and set them back down, at least I think I could hear them. Something else to a bumping sound. Took me a little while to realize it was my heart in my chest, felt good. She was moving slow and I was starting to have a hard time staying still, maybe I was even getting a little impatient with her. Some thing was behind her in the swamp, following her but staying out of sight. She was a nice big doe but I wanted to see what was behind her. Could it be the Ghost that I had seen on opening? Might I get a second chance here? The doe stopped, finding something on the trail for breakfast she was chewing. Still rasing her head from time to time to look around her. She had her head up and was looking around when she stopped, her head pointed in my direction. She was staring her ears flicking in my direction her nose testing the wind. I froze, not daring to move I watched her watch me. The snow continue to fall and I felt pretty good that she could not really make me out, could she?

Locked eye to eye we looked at each other. Me trying not to move and be discovered and her seeing something that didn't look quite right but not knowing what I was. Like a pitcher trying her pick off move she put her head down but then snapped it up again. Having seen this move before I had not moved. She again stared in my direction.

She went back to eating and slowly took a few more steps down the trail. She was in range and I could raise the rifle anytime now and have a good shot. Straight out from me she offer a broad side shot and I watched as she walked by. I wanted to see what was behind her. I waited.

Nothing. The doe moved pass me and down the ditch. I let her pass and focused on the edge of the swamp. Looking for any kind of movement. Something horizontal in a vertical world. Something new now, the sound of my stomach rumbling and a no matter how much snow I licked from my lips I needed to get a drink and eat. I stood up in the stand and my butt barked at me along with my back that had been part of the tree for the past few hours. I shook the snow from my coat and pants and climbed down. Pulling back my glove and checking my watch I could see it was almost noon. Guess somehow I had the entire morning pass by. I headed back to the Hotel following the same trail the doe had taken. Perhaps a hundred yards from my stand from the ditch side a second set of tracks appeared next to the does. Twice as large and deeper, The Ghost had appeared. Together the two sets of tracks followed the trail and then turning off the trail had gone back into the brush.

The doe had been a distraction a decoy. The Ghost didn't get as big as he is walking down trails with his girlfriend. Closing the door of the Hotel I shook off snow and put the gun in the rack. Fresh baked bread was cooling on the cutting block and the smell of baked ham in the oven met me. A few minutes later elbows secure on the edge of the table and a sandwich in my hands I told Elmer of the doe. " Are we having fun " he asked. With my mouth full I just nodded yes and smiled.. From Lake Iwanttobethere (19467)

Back from Deer camp, two more deer hanging from the beam and a good Sunday to spend time with friends and watch the football game. We had a half time feast of Grouse and Pheasants some baked trout and American fries with garden onions. The apple pies that the wife sent up didn't last long and we finished off the rest of the chips and dip. A few of the guys we will not see again till Fish camp and they were sent off at dusk to make their long drives home. A few of us will go back up again during the week. Maybe to hunt some but the Hotel will need to be closed up till enough snow falls so it can be used as an escape for cross country skiing and chasing winter grouse and bunnies.

Was back at the Lodge trying to catch up on things. I had taken two weeks off and I was on the schedule to tend bar and of course take care of paper work. I was checking my mail and tossing things in the fireplace. Even here we get junk mail all the time. Some addressed to the Lodge as MR. Lodge and some address to members. A lot of mail from the Sparrow Club, they are having there annual membership drive. They are not as big as the Owls or the Eagles Club and have a chapter in the next town over. Somehow they got a hold of an old membership list here at the Lodge and have been sending us out flyers. Elmer was bored last year and took a trip over to check out there club. He came back with a report and delivered it to us during a Friday night meeting. The Sparrows Club was a Hoot. They had a lot of rules that Elmer had problems with. Right off the bat he could not park his truck in the parking lot but had to park out back. Only SUV's were allowed in the front main lot. He also had to wear a tie and the wearing of boots was not acceptable. He was asked to wipe his feet in the "Mud Room" and the atmosphere was hard to get used to. The main room was lit with halogen bulbs hanging from chandeliers. Glass display cases hung from wallpapered walls. The paper was covered in song birds and a quaint meadow scene. The display cases held mounted Smelt and Snails.

The thick carpet on the floor did feel good through the holes in Elmers socks as he had to remove his boots at the mud room. The scotch was good but our home brew is better then there mico-brews. Besides they didn't even have any 40's to drink. No ash trays and Elmer found out it was a smoke free club. Even the fireplace was electric. They did have a kitchen and Elmer looking for a menu on the wall was handed a folded sheet of paper with gold glint on the edges. Right off he noticed no daily special and no road kill entries. He was sitting next to the kitchen door and when the double doors open he could see inside. Nothing but a microwave and a big freezer. And no smell of Conies or chili. About that time he heard the dinging of silverware on glass, reminded him of that wedding he went out East for. Some stuff shirt who looked like he had come from one of them fox hunting movies was at the front of the room talking into a little lapel microphone. Elmer could not hear anything till one of the guys next to him gave him one of the hearing aid plugs you stick in your ear. Elmer could now hear the guy drone on about fund rasing. There was also the sound of a cricket and a babbling brook. Not wanting to offend anyone Elmer reached in his pocket and pulled out a cigar. Standing at the back of the room he used two stick matches pulled from his pocket. He slid the matches across the side of a 7 inch mounted Smelt with a fly in it's mouth to light his cigar. Looking for a place to dispose of the stick matches he felt the first drops of water coming from the over head sprinkler system. He had no trouble leaving as he was the only one parked out back.

Elmer noticing that I had a Sparrow membership flyer said he didn't get one this year and grabbing a handful of popcorn headed to his wicker couch. I tossed the flyer in the fireplace. From Lake Iwanttobethere (19493)

Just about time to start thinking about the ice house fling. Even though it was forecasted by Sunshine Ray to reach 50 both today and yesterday. What little ice there is on the Been There Pond was melted by noon. Come Thanksgiving the posters will be out and we should have a pretty good idea of what the farest fling with receive in prizes this year. Good day to work on the shanty, it being warm and all. The wife is re doing the barbers chair for me. I have installed some electric heating coils from a car that Mike at the junkyard traded me for. I had to unbolt the chair and put it out on the trailer so the wife could get at it. She said something about the confine space and working in the dark and the smell as a problem. I even had her reinforce a hole in the front of the chair so I can stick the butt of my rod in when fighting them big ones. To warm to be at deer camp so I will catch up on some things around the cabin and maybe drown a minnow off the dock.

Windy today as even the apple trees are giving up there leaves. I was going to go out and take a picture of my burning bush, it was a vivid bright red but the morning wind striped it of all of it's leaves. Even Elmers yard is clean as the wind is taking everything out over the lake. No birds around and the bird feeders are all empty. Have most of the deck furniture already in storage, deck looks big and empty as does the dock. Just the old wood bench out there so you have something to sit on and watch your float. There will still be days when the wind is calm and the water still. Unless something happens here does not look like ice is going to be here anytime soon. Might be another year like last year.

Sign-up sheet is on the bar at the Lodge for who ever wants to sign up for the fling. My name is on the top as I made the sign up sheet. Hammering Hank was on till Tess informed that she to would like to ice fish and has a few ideas for changes for the shanty. Deer camps are pretty empty and the counters and business are all open as the guys are all pretty much back to work. I see there is a new row of four wheelers over at Dug's as they need work from hitting trees or sinking in the river. Earl at the General Store has a few snow throwers and shovels on display outside of the store. The cart with turkey cookers are still out there. Nice display of WD-40 and duct tape just inside the door. With ice fishing around the corner two things that no shanty should be with out. Junior has been busy in the back cutting glass and repairing storm windows. Weatherstipping has been a hot item not only for the cabins but for everyone working on there shanty's. Discounts on deer huntin clothes and already Mae is working on setting up shelves for Christmas items.

At home here I see there is a list by the telephone for Kris. Since she is the towns artist she is already getting calls for window painting. Some will just use decals but a lot of people like the hand painting of their shop windows and are always trying to out do each other. Ideas are tossed around at coffee at the Dew Drop. Even though the town does not have a decorating contest there is a kind of unofficial winner declared by word of mouth. Orange barrels are stacking up down at the access as the county is about done on there summer projects. Skinny has already pounded in the stakes to mark areas off for snow plowing. With a few late nice days he painted the stakes to look like candy canes. Speaking of stakes we pulled up the stakes in the horseshoe pits. Don't need anyone hitting them in the snow with a sled.

With the ice house empty we have aired it out and cleaned it. New sawdust is in the bins waiting for new ice this winter. Some of the Lodges wicker furniture has been sitting out there and when Hank has time he has been adding a coat of finish to them. Been a few years since they have seen any. Tess has made a few throw pillows and after some grumbling from members they were soon accepted. They do feel good on the back after a day in the woods or sitting, rocking in waves. Say Dan no word yet on the ice testers, we do have a wanted poster out on the town bulletin board and will be placing an ad in the town down the road from us. Do you know of someone who might be interested?

Finished up the mail that Mark the mailman dropped off this morning. More flyers from the Sparrow Club, they do make a nice fire in the fireplace. A few winter fishing catalogs came to. They went right to the washroom where they are chained to the stall. Well from a windy, warm (55) day here at the Lake.. (19576)

Still catching up on things at the Lodge. Finished up the mail by late afternoon and was getting a little hungry, to late for lunch and to early for supper so I was just going to make a snack. A Coney or two. Elmer said that he had brought in some potatoes from the garden and was going to use the deep fryer to make French fries. He said his fryer at home was to small. So I told him if he peeled them I'll cook them. Dang spuds were so big that you could only cook half of them at a time. You would have to take the basket out and turn the ends that were hanging out around so you could get the whole fry done. Nothing like fresh French fries though.

After the snack I joined Elmer in a cigar and we walked around the side of the Lodge to get out of the wind. There we found Hammering Hank and Skinny sitting at a card table, just inside the open door of the Lodges garage. Scattered across the table was an assortment of nuts, bolts, screws, metal thing- a -bobs and brackets. They to had cigars burning and we accepted there offer to sit. " Sorting eh!" I asked. They both nodded between puffs of smoke. Several coffee cans, plastic and a few metal ones sat in the center of the table. Every few seconds the clang of a screw or bolt would ring off the side of the can as a part was flung into the container. Elmer and I both reach out and pulled a small pile in front of us. Sorting through I added lock washers to the far can and wood screws to the plastic can close at hand. After several minutes my pile in front of me was reduced to unknown pieces of metal. As the others finished we waited for Skinny. When Skinny was done with his pile we all stood up and moved to the chair on our right. Sitting down we then would look over the pile left before us. A few more pieces that might have some value would be removed and toss in cans or boxes of parts stored on metal shelves along the wall. We would then rotate chairs again till we all had looked at the piles. This went on till all that was left was broken unknown thingies on the table. These would then be placed in a wood box marked for Mike's Junk Yard. With a clean card table we got up and finished our cigars out of the wind standing just outside of the garage. Skinny grabbing the handle and eased the garage door back down blocking the sunlight reflecting off the several hundred coffee cans of mixed nuts and bolts and thingies that still needed to be sorted on the garage floor.

Cloudy with a few drops of rain from time to time. Gray skies over head are reflected in the dark waters of Lake Iwanttobethere. From our vantage point not a boat could be seen out on the water and the access was empty except for the candy cane plow markers. Off to the side of the garage the fire pits are stacked and the 55 gal garbage barrels are all neatly in order. Come ice town time they will find there way back out on the lake. Orange barrels by the hundreds are now stacked along the ice house. The county brought in the last load yesterday. A few new ones that Hank has exchanged with our own. Softball field is quiet, a few dogs talking walks with their masters. The picnic tables are stacked along the dug outs and green tarps cover them. With this coming weekend being the last for deer season the mini-donut trailer will move on. Mindy and Mandy's root beer with only be sold at the Do Drop Inn and at Ma and Pa's. Of course we have some at the Lodge but you have to ask for it.

Quiet time here at the lake now. Deer season about done. Fishermen are waiting for the water to get hard and only a few grouse hunters will return to the woods. The sound of chain saws will be heard during the week as wood will be gathered for next season and dead falls will be cleanup as with the leaves all down and gone they will be easy to spot. Rides around the lake will be made and now you can see the cabins again. Of course you will be doing it from the road as all the boats are sleeping in boat houses or have been trailed off. Deer will once again start creeping out during daylight hours and the gardens will be looked over for anything they might have missed. Any apple left on a tree with in reach will be plucked. Thanksgiving will bring back some residents and they and there familles will gathered at the lake and then they will wait. For snow and ice and the ice town of Lake Iwanttobethere. (19606)

Just me and Elmer heading up to deer camp. An excellent year as everyone but Elmer and I have scored. We will go up and do some cleaning and a few repairs that were not done. Mostly just little nothings. We may or may not take a walk out to the stands and sit for a spell. The first weekend is always the best after that things calm down a lot and the odds of getting a deer grow less The Ghost is still walking around last I heard. No one has taken him as of yet. The party next to us on the other side of the swamp has filled out and I don't even think they will be at camp at all. Woods will be quiet, still some hunters out but many are done and staying home. I would rather spend some time at camp then stay at home and watch another losing football game. Besides we want to get as much wear as we can out of our blaze orange hunting garb. Spent to much money not to wear it for the whole two weeks.

That time of the year that as soon as the sun hits the tree line you start zippering up the coat and looking for gloves. Last few days have been windy and just enough snow falling to leave a little white on the deck and shed roof. The apple trees still have some green leaves on them but they are always the last to hold on. Not a single apple on any of the branches. The ones on top were nipped off by the squirrels and the deer came during the night to clean up. I guess I am going to have to take some of the blame for the weather change. Last week when I finally put the cover on the Puddle Humper the weather took a dip. I still have deck stuff out that needs to be put away and just didn't get around to it. Not doing any fishing off the dock as the wind is blowing into the shore. Even Elmer has his poles inside the boat house. Ready to be used but they might stay there till spring.

Been making a point to transfer wood from the big pile to the stack by the cabin. Every time I go by I carry a few sticks back. Guess I am just going to have to get used to the idea that we done with Fall and with the first good snowfall winter will be here. Does not matter what the calendar says it is what you find on the ground. Thanksgiving in a few more days and the cabin will be full. All the kids and grand kids will be up as well as all the dogs. The wife has been baking already and has ordered our turkey and ham from Ma and Pa's. The guys will have to stay around the cabin on Black Friday as all the ladies will head into the big city to shop.

The menfolk will spent time looking over the shanty and offering suggestions and of of course improvements. The sons will try and get me to change things around some and the son in-law will offer comments on something he saw on some info commercial or something he saw in a shop window. Kind of old meeting the new. Then Elmer will come over and will really show them old school. He will tell of stories of old when they travel by skis back into the far bays of Lake Iwanttobethere. With nothing but a spool of braid and some hooks kept in a tin in there pocket they would cut branches off near the shore and with a metal pike chip holes open. Sticking the branch in the slush of the hole they would clip off a length of braid, tie one end to the branch and the other to a hook and bait it. Dropping it down the hole they would then stand with there backs to the wind and let the breeze jig the branch while they waited. No four wheeler, no auger, no graphite rods and micro reels. No cameras and no depth finders, no heater, no pop up house not even a five gallon bucket to sit on. At the end of the day they would come off the lake with fish.

Now I can't fish like that and Elmers shanty is set up now for comfort then flash. Sometimes getting to modern defeats the purpose of heading out on the ice. Catching fish or not some of the best memories out on the ice always have the same background to them. The sun has set and the lake is quiet except for the occasional cracking of the ice. The hiss of the Coleman in the back ground. The sound of ice chips being pulled from the hole. The Clank of the scoop in the five gallon bucket. Heavy sound of boots dragging across the floor as you adjust yourself in your chair. Wisp of cigar smoke from the ash tray. Crackling of a small fire in the little wood stove. Sound of GIN as cards are laid across the well worn drop down table. Tell tale sound of a truck working it's way across the lake and watching the water move in the holes with it's passing. Static of the am radio and the distant sound of the play by play of a hockey game. No idea who is playing but it does not really matter. Won't be to much longer now. From the shores of Lake Iwanttobethere, no ice yet. (19676)

Just some notes here that I have forgotten to get to. Please note that it will be Doc Burriems 75th birthday on Monday the 19th We will have a gathering at the Lodge after 5 PM everyone is welcomed!

Also getting closer to ice time and thought it would be a good idea to post last years lucky fishermen. As you may remember these guys and gals made it out on to the lake first!

Willie Wrenchead

Blaze

The Jones Twins

Skinny

Nytelyter

Dan Theim

Big Earl

The Mpls Couple

Weird Willie

Bobby Bass

With McGurk as our alternate

We are looking for this years flingers, sign up list at the Lodge. McGurk will be our first launch this year as he was last years alternate. Good luck McGurk!

Here is a copy of the guide lines in the safe and successful launching of a ice house at Lake Iwanttobethere.

1) Houses may be any size and shape up to a 12' by 16' there is no mim size for launching.

2) You may dial in the length of pull from the bungee cord. You will be asked to fill out a "launch sheet" a guess at your weight and the pull of the bunge, ¼, half, ¾ or a full pull!

3) You must sign the release form and have a next to kin present, this makes things easier for the launch committee.

4) You must have a way to launch flares. A white flare for all OK and a red flare for if you need assistance at the end of your run.

5) All houses must have at least two runners at launch

6) You may have passengers but must have a fishing hole in the house for each passenger and you can not charge a fee to your passengers.

7) Drinking is not allowed, however once you have entered your house and are in the launch area what you do is up to you.

8) Your house must be painted, white is not a color, we need to be able to follow the flight of your house from the launch area.

9) Once your house has been launched and it comes to a complete stop you will not be allowed to relocate your house for 30 days. You may rotate it up to 360 degrees. You will be a marker for the rest of the town to follow.

10) The house tossed the farthest from the launch site will be declared the winner and will be awarded all prizes from the merchants award list. The merchants do require that the house be intact and they will be allowed to place logos on up to two of the intact walls.

11) The farest tossed house will also be awarded a plowed road directly to the said house, this will be at no charge to the winner.

12) All houses must be at Dug's garage the morning of the launch. They will be fitted with a sling connector, we strongly encourage that a wall be reinforced for this. Also the house owner must provide a tarp or covering for there house. House will not be revealed to the general public ( tourists) till one hour before schedule launch.

13) This years launch date is PENDING

If you need help you can contact the committee at [email protected]

Last year we launched on DEC 9th. Going to need some ice nights to get there this year.

Another anniversary was also reached and I forgot all about it. On the 11th the stories of Lake Iwanttobethere celebrated it two year anniversary! I find it hard to believe myself. Thought someone would have pulled the plug by now. Even hidden here with all the Outdoor Discussion, Clean-ups, and Agendas people find us and read about the lake. Thank you (19679)

I plan on being there again this year. Although mainly for the entertainment. This year my secrect lubricant from that Area 51 place is gone. Must have evaporated. Can't seem to locate more. I really don't see myself being launched very far this year because of that. But that's cool. Being way across the other side of the lake last year was OK, but just having Paul out there for company as the only other shack was kind of lonley.

Paul will probably be shot out the farthest because of his afterburner gas. Mcgurk might have a wild card up his sleeve this year too. We'll see.

One read close to the 20k! smirk.gif

my name is on the draw list and i have signed up for a full pull again this year. the waivers have all been signed with the i' crossed and the t' dotted. C'MON ICE!!!!! ... paul

End of Deer Camp- not as bad as it sounds. Spent most of the day packing up things around the shack. Had a late breakfast and spent some time out on the porch with a cup of hot coffee and my feet up on the rail. Heard a few shots off in the distant but the day was pretty quiet. Elmer and Chuck were both up to, between the three of us we made quick work of closing the shack up. Securing the propane tank and making sure the wood stove was cleaned out and wood was hauled in to fill the box. Cupboards were emptied and the floors were swept. The drain on the sink was taken apart and the sign to that effect hung on the sink. The spare key was checked to be sure it was in it's hiding place. Ropes for the hanging beam were coiled and put away in there box.

Log book was signed and placed on the kitchen table. A few boxes of mice bait were laded out. Getting towards two in the afternoon and we all closed up the two trucks and grabbing our rifles we set off to end the season in our stands. I took my time and walked slowly out to the stand by the cedar swamp. For mid November it was warm. Almost 40 out. The sun filtered down between passing clouds and was already low in the sky. Making myself comfortable in my stand I settled in and scanned the area around me. A ground squirrel worked it's way across the forest floor. Making enough noise to sound like a deer it would have had me on the edge of my seat two weeks ago. Now it just got a passing glance as I continue to search the brush around me.

As on cue the two grouse flew in to land on the tree across the ditch from me. I watched them for a few minutes till they to went to the ground and soon walked away into the deeper brush out of eyesight. The sun settled deeper in to the tree tops and I had to adjust the collar of my coat to close up around my neck. I got a chill and had second thoughts about not bring the thermos out with me. Peeking under the cuff of my coat I saw it was already almost four. Kind of late to shoot a deer now.

It had been a good season, several deer were taken and everyone has meat in the freezer. Spent time with friends and the bragging wall at the Hotel will have some more memories added to it. Another peek at the watch told me it was 4:15 If I leave now I'll have enough light to make it to the clearing. I unload the gun and using the rope lower it to the forest floor. I just start to swing over the edge and here coming down the trail is the doe with her two frisky fawns. I think they are the same ones I saw coming into the feeder to check it out on the first night. Glad to see they made it through the season. I waited till they passed and then retrieve the rifle I worked my way back to the clear cut. Elmer and Chuck were waiting, as soon as they saw my blaze orange they started the engines. I put my gear in the truck and rubbed my hands in the warmth of the trucks vents.

Elmer makes one last check of the shack. He goes inside and makes sure the bars are across the windows and the shutters secure. To bad we have to lock it up like this but times have changed. The padlock is snapped on to the wood door and we are ready to return home. We will be back, not as a group though. Everyone has a key and some will come back to do some grouse hunting. Others will tend to the deer feeder if the winter gets bad. A few of the younger guys will bring their families up to cross country ski. They will check the mouse traps and write in the log that they were there and how they did. Others will read the log and add to it.

We make the ride back home following Chuck down the twisted trail to reach the dirt road then to the highway. We stop at a small resort / restaurant and have a late supper. Another tradition of ours. We chat and take our time finally getting home around eight or so. Chuck heads down his driveway and Elmer turns in to mine. He pulls to a stop in front of the garage and we step out just in time to watch eight deer exiting Chucks yard to cross my yard heading in the direction of Elmers. Elmer and I just look at each other and shake our heads. Yup a typical deer season here at Lake Iwanttobethere hope yours was a good one... (19747)

This morning I started putting hunting clothes away. The day pack found it's way back to it's hook and I sat down and took the rifle apart and gave it a good cleaning. While I was at it I took each gun from the cabinet and gave them a good cleaning and oiling. The smell of gun cleaning solvent and oil brings back thoughts of trips into the woods. The boys Bud and Barney spent the morning at my feet. Waiting for me to head outside but after awhile they realized I was not going anywhere. They soon fell asleep sprawled on the floor. Their noses twitching and I am sure the smell brought back doggie dreams for them to. The smell of venison being turned into jerky from the dryer in the kitchen mixed in with the solvent and it has to be better then any perfume. Finishing I placed each gun back in the cabinet but left the shotgun in the wall rack, Still grouse to be hunted. Time to head into town.

Parked the Dodge at the end of Main street and decided to take a stroll. Some of you would call it a walk but I think a walk has a reason for it. Usually you walk to get to someplace where as in a stroll you just stroll to no place. I was not five minutes into my stroll and still in eyesight of the Dodge when a passer bye asked if I was broke down and needed any help. I explained that I was just taking a stroll and he waved and went on his way. Guess I should take more walks so people won't think when I am taking a stroll I am not in trouble.

Putting a hat on and wearing socks makes it more comfortable when taking strolls. Now that winter will be here any day I have put the shorts away and am now wearing pants and socks. This of course makes me feel a lot warmer and now I am ready to welcome winter. Of course there is also a reason for my stroll. That being having to hunt during deer season I was not in any condition to walk. Hunting should not be confused with walking, while hunting you stop to look around you and of course at the same time you can also rest. Your excuse being you don't want to overheat or spook your quarry. With a walk you are heading to a destination, a stroll lets you meander and take your time. When I get strolling down then I go walking. So I am strolling down main street, taking in the sights. Almost tourist like in my approach.

So as I stroll I notice the Lake just off to the side of Main Street. It seems to be the center of attention as well as it should be. The street is clean and well maintained. The one street light is in working order and beneath it sits a park bench. Next to that the towns bulletin board with it's brightly colored and weathered flyers pined to it. The shop signs swinging in the cool fall breeze. The spinning Barbershop pole. It's red and white spiral never ending. The clean brick buildings, old but well maintained. Slow moving traffic with what appears to be no one in any real hurry. More then one conversation taking place on the side of the street and cars slowing down to have drivers wave out rolled down windows. A couple of guys sitting on old wooded chairs propped up against the wall outside of Reed the Realtors place. Doc Burriems old Ford tied up by a single rope to the old horse hitching post outside of his office. Next to it the two now weathered parking meters. The towns only pay phone on the wall across from them. Two calls fer a dollar, a good price I hear.

Skinny and Hammering Hank drive by and wave. The old panel truck full of fresh cut trees to be sold out near the freeway at the farmers market. A few heads sport blaze orange hunting caps and more then a few Green and Gold football jackets can be seen surround by Purple ones. Of course them brown coats are everywhere. Preferred by the farmers and the guys from the county working out past the edge of town. Continuing my stroll I pass Ma and Pa's butcher shop just as a fellow is loading up his truck with a few boxes of white wrapped paper packages. Ma sees me and waves. Strolling down, taking my time I take a sit down at one of the many scattered benches in town. Sitting there I feel a tap on my shoulder and Elmer comes around to sit next to me. He says nothing and we both watch the street. I turn to him and say " Taking a stroll" he nods his head yes. We sit and watch, just taking a stroll here at Lake Iwanttobethere (19784)

Busy day today scheduled. With Turkey day just a few days away we will be out making our rounds picking up items for the baskets that will be delivered tomorrow. Well not really baskets more like sturdy cardboard boxes. The Lodge for as long as I can remember has delivered Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners to some of our elders here at the lake. Through donations from area business we help share some of the season spirit. As a matter of fact a select few actually do receive some spirits!

Along with Skinny and Hammering Hank I will be making stops at McDonnell's farm for butter and to Ma and Pa's for turkeys. Amys for rolls and Mindy and Mandy's for root beer. Several collection sites will need to be emptied of can goods and Hank's wife Tess has gotten together with the Church ladies to sew covers to line the boxes with. The boxes will be filled this afternoon and then delivered tomorrow. The Dew Drop Inn will be open on Thanksgiving and they will be giving away free dinner. Gus lives in back and is going to be there anyway so he just stays open and has an open house so to speak. We will drop off several baskets to his back door to help him out. Mercy Turkeys he calls them and he cooks them up with all the fixings. He has a lot of regulars who eat there everyday and he is not going to close and let them go hungry.

Lake Iwanttobethere does not have many homeless people which makes us kind of rare in this day. We do have a fair share of elder residents who have come here to retire and are scattered about on the lake. Sometimes you just don't see them. They might only make a trip into town once or twice a month to pick up things. Cabin gardens provide a lot of food that is stored in old root cellars and of course fishing and venison is a staple. Doc Burriem makes his rounds and keeps an eye on them. Hammering Hank and Skinny have been doing more then there share of keeping a watchful eye out also. I would not call the retired residents poor but some have to burn poplar in the winter rather then Maple. Hank has been known to drop off a cord of cut, split and dry oak as a present when the winter is bad. Every town should have at least one Hank and double lucky if you have Skinny as his partner.

Late tomorrow evening the cabin will start to fill up as my kids and grand kids will be making the trip to the cabin. Cabin will be filled with kids, dogs and cats trying to hide form the kids and dogs. No ice on the water so some time will be spent fishing off the dock and a roaring bonfire will be there to warm fingers and noses. The ice shanty will be used as a bunkhouse and the older grand kids will sleep in it till they get cold or their mothers take them inside. A few years ago I had to go into the big city for Thanksgiving. The daughter wanted us all at her new house and thought it would be a good idea to take some of the load off mother. A full house and we didn't bring the dogs or cats with. Elmer was kind enough to keep an eye on them. It cost me two good cigars from my secret hiding place that Bud showed him.

The one thing that I remember from that Thanksgiving was that the daughter burned the dinner rolls and I had to go down to the local bakery and get some more. Can't have turkey without rolls. Big city is different then Lake Iwanttobethere. Outside of the bakery was a dinner roll scalper. No rolls inside to be had and I had to buy from him. I even think they were day olds. Well I see Skinny coming down the drive so I better get my hat and my list and get out the door. Have a Happy Thanksgiving an check on the neighbor, especially if she is cute! From Lake Iwanttobethere (19819)

Scalper? LOL!!! How do you come up with that? Still laughing Bobby. Thanks Mister. Needed that. Happy Thanksgiving backatcha.

It starts the night before, perhaps out in the kitchen as the gals gather after dinner to wash dishes and store left over turkey fixings in the fridge. Stacked neatly on the shelves are bags of veggies and square storage containers of turkey and dressing and stuffing and what is left of the sliced ham. In a few hours it will all be back on the counter as they guys will rise during half time of the football game looking for something to tide them over till later on in the night. The men folk watch football games and take naps on the couches. The kids rough house with the dogs and maybe one or two guys are actually interested in the game but only because they have fantasy teams. The ladies will gather and sipping some boxed red wine they will start to compare their battle plans for the following morning. With even more attention then the guys spend on fishing opener or deer season they will go over there plans. If you enter the kitchen the room grows quiet as you know they are talking about you or your present. They never confined in me and usually someone sits on the stool by the door to act as a lookout.

Around two A.M. the following morning the bed will get lighter as she rolls out and makes her way in the darkness to the bathroom. Clothes have already been laid out the night before. All around the lake and I am sure in your neighborhood to the lights will start to come on. First in bedrooms then in the bathroom and then down in the kitchen. Shortly after that garage doors will open and a cascade of trucks, cars and station wagons will start the trek towards town. A strange site this early in the morning with all the headlights heading towards town. Once in a great while a lone car will be seen heading the other way. By dawn parking lots will be full of cars and women will be at the front doors of stores waiting for them to open and for the assault on there shelf's.

On the way in gas stations are hit hard by lady shoppers looking for the morning paper and last minute sale flyers. The cappuccino machine chugging away as they fill cups to keep hands warm during their waits. The dount cabinet is empty with nothing but crumbs left for the regulars that will stop later on there way to work. Every year it seems to get earlier and earlier. I can remember when eight A.M. was the time to be at a store, now some are open at midnight. Not safe to be between a bear and her cub? Try a woman and a end cap of sale items at half price! If you are a guy you stand back and keep your hands to yourself. Later in the afternoon she will return, making endless trips to the truck to return with packages and boxes and plastic bags. Somewhere in the cabin everything disappears to and in a few moments quiet has return and she will sit in the kitchen with a cup of tea and a pile of receipts. Her check list will be in front of her and she will be making marks and notations on it's margin. Don't even think of trying to look over her shoulder. If you must go in the kitchen just like a bear make sure she can hear you coming. Make small talk and retreat with what ever you need. Perhaps some of the turkey from the day before and a slice of pie from the one the grandkid stuck his finger in.

The phone will start ringing then and she will make small talk with her mother and sisters about how they did and what they still need and what they missed. I guess it is a lot like fishing opener. We tend to come home tired and hungry with a sense of fulfillment and we don't talk to much unless something really good has happen that day. Well maybe we grunt some and moan a little about the weather and how it was in days past. Now that I think of it the wife is not around much after openers. She does just make a little small talk and then leaves me to my thoughts. I guess Christmas shopping can be a lot like fishing, just have to be at the right place at the right time.. From Lake Iwanttobethere (19876)

A Post script to from the Cabin on the day after Thanksgiving would be that the menfolk of Lake Iwanttobethere lay about the cabin like you would picture the aftermath of a Roman toga party. Not as bad as a frat party as the ladies have picked up cans and left over plates of turkey bones and the dogs have cleaned the crumbs from the floor. But the men are in a post turkey day stupor. Having no memory of there wives leaving in the wee hours of the morning and if they agreed to let the wife use the " Rainy day credit card" Kids left in the care of their dad will have turkey sandwiches and pie for breakfast. Like a mans brunch each kid will be issued a fork or spoon and allowed to eat from the bowls of leftovers. No plates to clean up this way. When ma does return home the carpet will be sprawled with contented menfolk and dogs and college football.

A little skim ice out on the lake this morning. Nothing that will support any weight to speak of. Might not even had noticed it except the wind took some leaves that way and I saw that they skidded across the surface instead of stopping and floating. Saw the sun for the first time in what seems like two weeks yesterday. If it comes up again this afternoon the skim ice will be nothing but a memory. As predicted the cabin looks like a battlefield from the set of 300 a prelude to what it will look like on Christmas morning. Was chilly last night and no one spent to much time out in the shanty once it got dark. Nothing to really do in it since it is not yet loaded with mid winter gear. A mighty fine turkey from Ma and Pa's was reduced to a Indiana Jones graveside in a matter of an hour or so. Like vultures we kept returning and turning over the bones looking for a scrap of meat to carry off to the couch. If we were lucky we had to share with a grand kid who like little birds gaze with open eyes and wider mouths for a morsel.

Cabin is quiet as the womenfolk have not yet returned from there hunt into the big city. They did make mention last night that they expected to find the cabin cleaned up and in better shape then it was when they left. Then they proceeded to pick up plates and dishes and retreated to the kitchen where everything found it's place. Later in the evening I did trek to the kitchen to check the carcass one last more time on the off chance that someone might have missed something. Bones were gone and already taken to the garbage can by one of the younger tribesmen. The last football game of the night was not available to us so we were left to couches and easy chairs and the quiet time would be interrupted every so often with a story. Elmer came over later in the night and brought with him home made rock candy. He was soon surround by grand kids searching through the colorful swirls like agate hunters on the beach.

This morning on a visit to the kitchen for pie Dug found the paper in the garbage. We spread it across the counter top and looked for tell tale signs. Like a meeting of the minds on CSI we looked over the tattered ads and speculated on what was going to be bought or not. Some items were circled and in different colored markers. We had to decide if these were left here to throw us off track or not. The Gander ad was missing which is a good sign as was the jewelry ads, which is a bad sign. One by one grand kids stirred and the cats went back to their hiding places. Dogs stood at the door waiting to be let out and the kitchen was open for breakfast. Grand kids placed their orders and a hot item was pancakes with Froot Loops. The Froot Loops were not in a bowl they were in the pancakes. One kid ordered up shredded wheat with chocolate milk, was not really all that bad.

Wood added to the fireplace and the kids still in pajamas lay with the dogs in front of it. Natures baby sitter. Smell and smoke of bacon and eggs and coffee drifts in the air from the kitchen out the window as the older boys make breakfast. Pie is all done so they have to cook. Elmer comes over taking the trail from his cabin and greets me on the dock. We look out over the water of Lake Iwanttobethere and the sun breaks through the clouds. Might get some fishing in yet today. From the Lake (19940)

Working on a few things here at the Lodge today. A balmy 31 out right now and there is some ice on the lake but nothing that you would want to walk on. Hank was down at the access this morning and fired off a few golf balls with the nine iron. When the balls landed they went right through the ice. Until we can hire a new ice tester we will have to use the golf balls and see what happens. The bungee has been brought out of storage and along with the ice testing log is at the base of the fling trees. We actually have about an inch of snow on the ground and looking at the records that is better then what we had last year where we had to water down the launching area. Last night a couple of the guys brought in a 10' blue spruce and already have it decorated and set up in the corner of the Lodge. They spent most of the evening with swizzle sticks and coasters decorating. As is our tradition members will buy there own gifts and then place them under the tree. This was we are always guarantee of getting something that we really want or need.

Later this afternoon the finals for the Sporting Clay league will be held out back. Already there are a few guys out on the trap range shooting a few rounds. Coffee pot is on and the Gus is in the kitchen working on some stew and biscuits for the awards dinner. Wood pile near the fireplace is growing as when ever a member enters he carries in a stick or two from the pile. We have a large log holder on the floor resting against the wall and the wood is stacked there. Don't see the fire going out for several months now. Yesterday we had the chimney cleaned on both fireplaces. Hank and Skinny placed orange barrels out along the roadway and marked off spots in the parking lot that tend to get soft in the Spring. Also moved several down to the shore line where they will be handy for the ice fling and marking the roadway out on the ice.

Sign up sheet for the ice house fling has a half a dozen names on it so far with a few surprises. Hank is not on the list this year as his wife Tess has convinced him they should stay closer to shore. Rumor has it that in late fall she found a honey hold of blue gills and wants to put the house on top of it. She has gotten to be good friends with Vicki at the Masterbaiters shop and Vicki is not saying anything. Dan is on the list but has expressed an intent to stay closer to shore also. You would thing with that big dog of his Grace that he can pull his sled almost anywhere on the lake. Nytelyter has reported he is good to go but no word if he is going for a full pull or will be setting up closer to Root Beer Island and the charms of Mindy. I see we have a key for the new padlock hanging on the wall behind the bar here. The key is for the icehouse as we had ice disappearing from it last season. Fingers were pointed at a certain dog of large breed with a hankering for ice. No harm done as we did need to clean it out anyway. We do have the original hunk of ice down in the walk-in freezer and just like sourdough it will be returned to the ice house later this winter.

Well town will be quiet here now till the Ice House fling or Christmas. Which ever one comes first. Christmas decorations are spring up on shop signs and windows are getting painted this week. Hot cider has been added to most restaurants menus and down at the General Store the coffee urn is always on. The cart outside the door now is stocked with wrapping paper and ice melt. Shovels are stacked against the door and a new eight horse snow thrower with a red ribbon greets you as you come in. Ma and Pa's have a sign asking you to order ahead for your Christmas Ham and the single bell on the door has been changed to jingle bells. The sound rings out every time the door is open and closed. The Pizza cannon at Del's is down for the season. I don't think anything will be shot from it this winter. Just to hard to control with the ice and the hot pans sticking and making abrupt course changes. All caught up here with the paper work and I think I'll take a stroll and enjoy the sight's and sounds of Lake Iwanttobethere. O by the way if you are the 20,000 visitor to read this let us know and we have a special gift for you.. From the Lake .. (19975)

we will be going for a full pull again this year. with my new set up i will be shooting for the backside of root beer island. there is a honey hole i spotted while sailing this summer. and schucks darn!!! i was 19995 welll i guess it wouldnt be fair if i won twice in a row. yall be safe of your return trips tomorrow and we will see you at the lodge for the annual christmas party. ... paul

Well sometime during the wee hours of the morning on Sunday we passed 20,000 viewers. Had hoped that the visitor would have posted so we could have given him or her a nice basket of gifts and a trophy from here at the lake. Old Man Johnson was ready with the basket and trophy and was going to do the honors. He has past experiences in these matters as he has himself has a trophy wife, although she was not first place. Perhaps it was one of them anonymous readers, if so I hope they sign on and return.

Well now we are stuck with a basket, I guess we could just roll it over into the ice fling winner. Let's see here we have a can yam, 99 yards of fishing line, a camouflage bobber, A Grouse call and a quart of 30-40 oil. Coupons for Lodge Coney's, a 12 pack of Mindy and Mandy's Root beer. Two bottles of Lake Iwanttobethere Maple Syrup. A punch card good for six doz. Live minnows from the Masterbaiters Shop. A coupon from Earl's General Store for hand warmers, a buy one get one flung free from Del's Pizza and Sub shop. A free flue shot from Doc Burriem and a assortment of small chocolate from our very own chocolate maker. I almost forgot there is a new calendar here from the Lake Iwanttobethere Bank and a also a desk calendar and pencil set from Reed the Realtor. Of course there is also a trophy involved but we will just put that back on the shelf here at the Lodge, you don't really want a softball trophy anyway would you?

Thank you all for showing up and I hope we can keep you coming back. Always seems to be something going on here at the lake and I guess you like hearing about it. A special shout out to a new resident who had a bit of trouble here this past hunting season. Word is he fell from a tree and broke his back but is on the road to recover fully. There are a few hours of reading here to help you along. Heading down to the ice with the seven iron and some red golf balls, Going to check the ice out a little farther today. From the lake.. (20012)

Wouldn’t ya know it! I was 20022 but that is as close as I got.

Being a creature of habit I put out the Christmas decorations this past weekend. As always the weekend after turkey day they go out. Now I realize that I am one of "those" people that have their lights on way too early! I decided to leave them off but the Lil Mrs came home and cranked them up as soon as she got in the house. I have a couple of reindeer and a sleigh that are still in the garage. You know, the ones that half the lights don't work on! I have checked every bulb and they have now been re-seated but alas they still do not light. I have a good couple hour’s time invested in them and they are still not working. I guess now I have to decide if they are worth any more of my time or not.

Paul, have you been keeping good track of those Flamingos’s? I was out driving around the lake Saturday and saw a couple in a yard out there. They looked to be in good health so I did not bother them any further.

Saturday I put the cover on BGB (big green boat) and pulled it out to the farm where she gets stored for the winter. I drove past a couple of lakes on the way back to town to decide where I was going to hunt come Sunday morning. Well, I was sure wishing that I had not put BGB away as it is more than capable of breaking through the ice that surrounds the landings I looked at. mad.gif So I came home and trundled up and down the attic ladder more times than I wanted to putting the duck decoys and other hunting paraphernalia away.

I have been contemplating entering that there ice house fling! Are there any rules that would prevent a fella from using some old JATO bottles that were left over from the Air Force days? I would imagine that I could get well past Root Beer Island with that kind of a set-up! Was thinking of a three ski kind of rig. Could go to the local snowmobile shop and pick up some ski’s. With that set up I could even steer the rig though when approaching the speed of dark I don’t suppose one would want to turn just too sharp huh! A mid course correction could prevent one from going into the island instead of around it!

Well it is time for me to go and get one of those Mindy and Mandy root beers and some of that Schwan’s ice cream and whip up a float and contemplate the fling thing. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Been working on the ice house today. A few snow flakes falling so what better time. I have it half in and half out of the garage. Since the grand kids use it as a playhouse during the summer the first thing to do was remove toys and drawings pinned to the walls. Except a few of them did remain, got to have some art in the house. A good cleaning and vacuuming and the house was as clean as it was going to be. This is my launch section of the house. It has been reinforced for the fling and has a roll cage hidden inside it's plywood walls. The main section of the ice house is on the trailer along side the garage. Hidden under the big blue tarp is my second home. Complete with kitchen and the beer train trolley that runs along inside of the outside walls. The bungee section has but one seat, that being the barbershop chair that I recovered from an old barber shop a few towns over. It has been rebolted to the floor and with the heating coils inside the leather seat I will be warm and cozy waiting for my turn to be flung. Last years solar version has been back in the workshop for most of the summer. Need to work on a few of the navigation bugs as well as the over heating. It will find its way back to the roof of the main section sometime this winter. The idea was good just went a little to far.

Between making runs into town for odds and ends that I needed for the house I saw that Max at the Lake Iwanttobethere ski hill was out making snow. Yes it is cold enough to make snow and although he missed the annual Thanksgivings Day opening he will be up and running here soon. The hill is not really very big and it only has two runs. One going up and one coming down. He was set up on the slope with his Hamms beer and he had the garden hose set on a fine mist blowing into the two matching 20" box fans. He does not make a lot of snow but it is nice. By afternoon there was enough on the ground to leave footprints. Hank was using the driver this morning checking ice on the lake. Lake is making ice and with Sunshine Ray calling for single figure temps this week I have a feeling we will be seeing some fishermen out on the ice.

Still have some slots open for the ice house fling and am looking for them to fill up here soon before we have to draft to get our final ten. The Sparrow Club has requested information on the fling as they are making noise about entering a house. We are always looking for new designs and of course I sent the packet out along with the waver. Sunshine Ray has updated his forecast and now is calling for snow! I have the local radio station on and he is calling for several inches. This might effect our slope at the launch. Shifted gears here and moved some snow shovels to the front of the garage. Splashed some gas in the snow thrower and turned it over and let it run for a few minutes. Had the muffler facing the wrong way and turned the inside of the garage a nice blue. Made a few extra trips to the wood pile and filled the wood box by the back door and the rack inside the cabin is full. Guess winter will be here this week. I see on the honey do list I kind of skipped over the Christmas lights. Might have missed my chance on hanging replacement strings when the weather would have been kind.

Did notice a kind of funny sight today as I was taking a break. I saw three pink flamingoes stuck in a large patch of floating skim ice heading out across the bay. The long skinny legs were frozen in and the wind was taking them out of sight. I suppose sometime this ice fishing season they will reappear. I wonder how they ended up out there, Will have to check where the flock is suppose to be wintering. Did a walk around the yard and picked up anything that I don't want the snow to hide till Spring. Flower beds produced hand tools and gloves and grand kids left some toys out by the dock. Guess I am as ready as I can be now. Well dark caught me still working on the shanty, will have to continue tomorrow. I think I'll spend some time in the den working on rods and tackle. That fire will feel mighty good with snow falling and the wind blowing across the lake. Hope you are on schedule with your shack and we will see you on the ice.. From Lake Iwanttobethere (20094)

Well, as close as we are getting to the fling and as much talk as there is about it, I had better get my snuff together and get the paperwork filed. We all know that my Lodge application is still not turned in as of yet, and I have tried to respond to all of those questions orally. Makes it easier to have a group of guys all listen once than pass a piece of paper around and each have a turn reading it, in my eyes anyways. My speling is'nt the gratest, ether.

The fish house, the fish house... Looking at some old posts and the new posts leading up to this, I will say that I am starting to get pretty excited. The whole Vaseline idea really went to pot when I left an ice cream bucket of it in the ice chest to find out what its cold weather properties were. Of course, the neighborhood search-and-rescue dog got a hold of it, as she seems to have the lock mechanism figured out on the door of the chest. Needless to say, that warm spell we got in early fall makes a cold treat like that seem pretty tasty. Sorry, Dan. I don't envy the carpet cleaning costs, and am willing to help out on any other projects that you might need a hand on. Hank seems a little preoccupied anymore, and his 14 hr days have shrank to 11's now that the Mrs. is cooking for him. I can't say I blame him.

The fish house, the fish house... Got some new ideas, and have found a place to let me get a little wind tunnel time in. My house has taken a turn to looking a little more scud than box. The smoke trails that float over it in the wind tunnel sure skimmed right across it, though. The problem is that the house is 6' wide and 6' tall at the center, but I'm sure you've all ridden in a plane before and see where I'm going with this. The floor and ceiling tend to get pretty narrow, and the walls have a concave look to them. I have it arranged that there are 1 person seats on both walls, alternating in direction, each with a hole at their feet. It may look to a fish like an aisle of bait at a grocery store, though, as there will be 8 lines all dropped in one straight line. As for the fisherman, it may look like people in the house are lined up for a jump out the door at 30,000 ft with parachutes on their backs. Actually I might have a few left over from last years fling. Have to do a little more rummaging.

The fish house, the fish house... The weight should be around 1500 lbs and I have tried to cut weight to a point. But I'm sure you all realize that if you push an empty can with the same force as a full can, the full can will go further. So, no empty can for me. There are windows and a captains seat for me. For some reason no one wanted to ride along last year, so I am going to make this a solo flight. There are some rudimentary steering controls and a way to slow down (wife made me put that on). I have NO intention of slowing down, though.

Should be a good time, but I was wondering; are we allowed practice flings leading up to this? I think I want a 3/4 pull, as my tests have pointed to anything more than that shooting up the other shore. By the way, anyone interested in bringing in a 1/40th scale model of their fling house to the lodge is welcome to it, as I do have a model of the fling area made to scale on a sheet of plywood that could be brought in for a night of experimentation. That makes a 16' house just a touch under 5" long. Get out your whittling knives!

Here are your rules and guidelines for the 2007 Lake Iwanttobethere Ice House Fling.

1) Houses may be any size and shape up to a 12' by 16' there is no mim size for launching.

2) You may dial in the length of pull from the bungee cord. You will be asked to fill out a "launch sheet" a guess at your weight and the pull of the bungee, ¼, half, ¾ or a full pull!

3) You must sign the release form and have a next to kin present, this makes things easier for the launch committee.

4) You must have a way to launch flares. A white flare for all ok and a red flare for if you need assistance at the end of your run.

5) All houses must have at least two runners at launch.

6) You may have passengers but must have a fishing hole in the house for each passenger and you can not charge a fee to your passengers.

7) Drinking is not allowed, however once you have entered your house and are in the launch area what you do is up to you.

8) Your house must be painted, white is not a color, we need to be able to follow the flight of your house from the launch area.

9) Once your house has been launched and it comes to a complete stop you will not be allowed to relocate your house for 30 days. You may rotate it up to 360 degrees. You will be a marker for the rest of the town to follow.

10) The house tossed the farthest from the launch site will be declared the winner and will be awarded all prizes from the merchants award list. The merchants do require that the house be intact and they will be allowed to place logos on up to two of the intact walls.

11) The farest tossed house will also be awarded a plowed road directly to the said house, this will be at no charge to the winner.

12) All houses must be at Dug's garage the morning of the launch. They will be fitted with a sling connector, we strongly encourage that a wall be reinforced for this. Also the house owner must provide a tarp or covering for there house. House will not be revealed to the general public ( tourists) till one hour before schedule launch.

13) This years launch date is Dec. 9th same as last year at noon. Good Luck

If you need help you can contact the committee at [email protected]

The launch committee met last night outside of the Dew Drop Inn and do to the blowing winds and falling temps the meeting was short. Duckslayer, unless you can provide JATO bottles for everyone we can not allow them. We did have one house in the past launched with them but after the ensuing brush fire and the melted ice we have thought better of it. Test flings are not allowed. Mostly because it is a matter of retrieving the test house. McGurk if you are looking to check out the glide path we are still looking for an ice tester to ride in the log. Both Hank and Skinny will assist you. Seems that a interest in the area behind Root Beer island is growing. Committee has voted to angle the launch in that area. Unless steering is involved the flings will take some curling experience to reach that area.

The basket has been added to the prize package and we will be posting a sign next to the sign-up sheet in the Lodge stating the prizes. We have six with four spots left open. McGurk already has the #1 spot or the option to go last. Benefits at both positions. This morning we will be doing a test fling of the empty log at ¼ pull just to make sure the bungee made it through summer storage and the chipmunks did not chew to much out of it. Will be at noon if you would like to watch and place bets. The three floating flamingoes have been spotted frozen solid out front of the Lodge bout 300 yards away. They will be our target. From the Lake... (20127)

I'm ready, same fish house as last year, and have a saftey seat for the resident search and rescue dog to buckle up and ride with me.

I'm going to have a sweeping crew ahead of my fling? (1/4-1/2 pull) Like the curlers do. That way it'll slide just right into the inside edge of that weed line where Mr Big's Mom lives.

Hello from the lake. Let's see here if I can answer Dan's question first. I was at a launch meeting this afternoon and brought up your question. It is not covered by the rules and we see no reason why you can't have a sweeper. We do see a few problems as far as who you will get to do it. When Hank and Skinny were asked about it over lunch they wanted more details. I passed on what I thought you would say. You would be launching your shanty at a reduce pull, and needed someone down the hill. I would imagine on the ice to stay ahead of the oncoming shanty and sweeping like we do at curling to "curl" the house into position off the weed line. Hank's impression is that there would be a lot of running involved. Skinny said he has not been in shape to stay ahead of a shanty for several years. They might be able to hook up with Dug and do something on the back of a sled? So I guess you will have to hook up with them and see if you can come up with a plan.

Had to send a few packages off at UPS today and while I was in the big city I did some shopping. I was at that place with the big target that sells like nothing hunting related. Outside there was a young fellow pushing thirty carts or so. As he went by I pointed out that maybe he should share as others might want to use a cart also... Later I was downtown and had to park at a meter. When I came out this young gal all bundled up was writing a ticket. I mentioned that I did not think that was all that fair as it being the holidays. She continued to keep writing. I mentioned her parka looked a little tight on her and she started another ticket. If I didn't know better having seen that look on my wife a few times I think she was getting upset. I moved along, wasn't my truck anyway.

Returned to the Lake in time to check on my order from the General Store. I had ordered a new GUT coat from Earl. He has them made special from his aunt who has a small tailor shop. A GUT coat is made for us full figure guys with short legs. You would think a big time coat maker would grab the idea and run. By the time you buy a coat big enough and long enough to cover your gut your hands are covered by the cuffs. Who cares if it is not level when you hang it on a hanger. When you put it on you have that extra material in the front that covers your gut and the overhang. Don't even want to talk about trying to buy winter bibs, if you find a pair big enough you have to walk on stilts because the legs are for somebody seven foot tall. Anyway it was not in yet but I did some shopping for other needed things. I did see some boxes marked for Nytelyter but Earl would not tell me what was in them. I think there ice house related.

Well Sunshine Ray was off on his forecast, a dusting of snow is all we got and it got as warm as thirty. Good for the ice making as it is clear and safe enough to start walking out as long as you are careful. I think we will have good ice for launch day, if the snow stays away we will have good distance on the flings. Busy working on the shanty, gets dark quick so I am back at it. From the lake.. (20168)

Sunny day here at Lake Iwanttobethere temps are in the mid teens and the wind is calm. Plenty of sunshine and just a few puffs of clouds floating on by. Vicki and her husband have returned from their vacation to Alaska and the Masterbaiters Bait shop is now open for winter business. New hours have been posted on the door and with six inches of ice out here on the bay a few fellows have already been in buying minnows. They then make the short walk out pass the landing to try there luck. A few fish have been caught and the word of the catches spreads quickly. One of my favorite things to do is stand outside the bait shop with others and when a car or truck drives by we hold our hands apart like fishermen tend to do in describing a fish and then point out towards the lake. Of course the conversation has nothing to do with fishing, today we were talking about the blackout of the football game. Well not really a blackout just we can't get it here. The Sparrow club has it on there satellite TV and some of us were thinking of going over and watching the game. Of course we would say that we were from the icehouse fling committee and needed to follow up on there entry. We will have to see what happens. I know we can't get Elmer in there unless he wears some sort of disguise.

Yesterday afternoon Hank and Skinny fired off the test log with half pulls and had no problems. With very little snow on the ice they managed to pull it back in and fired a second and third time. After that they just took a walk and found pretty good ice. They added the ice depths to the map just inside the Lodge entrance door and a copy was nailed to the tree by the access and at the bait shop. Not to long after that there was a couple of guys on there five gallon pails fishing. Outside of the General Store on the cart Big Earl now has augers, minnow pails and rope. Ice still thin outside of the mouth of Mystery Creek but some kids were skating on Been There Pond. The owners of The Inn were adding more lights to there decorations and as sunset approached you could see the lights from across the lake. Guess that is all it took and soon other lights around town started to come on. Mike down at the junk yard has a new display as he drilled holes into hubcaps and inserted lights in the center. He has then nailed them to the fence along the frontage road side of the junkyard. Well then the Do Drop Inn turn on there lights and the Sundown Cafe answered with theirs. By dark the town was all a glow with lights. Coming back from the big city as I came over the hill I thought there was a fire or something with all the light. Made me pull off to the side of the road and admire it all. Looked so much better then the big city with all the dirty streets and people walking with there heads down not looking anywhere but where they were going.

Sitting here in the den I am surrounded by Bud and Barney and of course the cats. They lay on the sun covered floor and snore. As the sun moves across the room they one at a time get up and follow the sun to the living room. As I write now all I have is Pepper at my feet and everyone else has left. If I tilt my chair back I to can get back into the sun and have to close my eyes. Feels good. I came in here to check on my plans for the remodel of the shanty and was interrupted by Buff the cat who sprawled across the drawing refusing to move until he received attention. Now that I think of it the drawling were in the sunshine and he was probably there for the heat and not me. Typical cat. Elmer was over and snooping around the shanty, I see his is under his canvas and he is not saying to much about it. The UPS truck was at his cabin twice this week so I think he too has been making some additions.

Funny thing about ice fishing, I don't know if it is just me or not but even though there is not an ice fishing opener, there sure is a lot attention to it. I don't remember people talking so much about fishing opener but ice fishing... Guess that could be a whole story right there to write about. Well I can get back to looking at the drawing and see where I have to make my.. I almost told you what I was going to do to the house! I better get back to work here. Enjoy your day, we have a spot for you here on the lake.. (20206)

Some more news in regards to the ice house fling. The ten entries spots have been filled and we are waiting on the paper work for the final spot. There was a question in regards to the shack but that should be taken care of before launch date. In the past we have awarded the prize for longest distance but this year we may have an accuracy award. A number of flingers have spoken about fishing off Root Beer island. With all the water we received in late fall it looks like the reef out that ways may hold fish this winter. As noted the angle on the sling will be adjusted in that direction. We will have a meeting to see if we will change to accuracy. There is some talk off the frozen flamingoes as a possible target as they are in that general direction. Here is the current list of "Lake Iwanttobethere Ice House Flingers"

(1) McGurk

(2) Nytelyter

(3) Dan and Grace

(4) Duckslayer

(5) Sparrow Club*

(6) Dug

(7) Skinny

(8) Elmer

(9) The Johnson Brothers

(10) ? Waiting on paper work

Bobby Bass will be on stand by in Alert One

Single numbers on the thermometer here at mid day. We are making ice. Dogs didn't want to go off the deck this morning so it is getting cold for them. Did see Dan and Grace taking there walk. Grace acts like it is the middle of summer. We did go watch the football game at the Sparrows Club last night and it was a good thing we did as there were several things wrong with there entry. They did not even have the wine rack secured to the wall and extra wallpaper on the sling wall is not what we consider "reinforcement" they have nine days to bring it up to launch standards. Sunshine Ray once again is saying we are in for some snow. Looks like this weekend will bring snow to the lake. We will keep you advised, enjoy the sun and the cold. From Lake Iwanttobethere. (20251)

I can't say I'm looking forward to riding in Nytelyter's exhaust trail. Is that offer still open for being the first flung?

Quote:

I can't say I'm looking forward to riding in Nytelyter's exhaust trail. Is that offer still open for being the first flung?

You make a good point, it was also noted that you took your turn last year as our Alert One Shack and therfore you should be on top of the list this year. We have made the change.. Looks like I will be trading places with Dug and will be in the Alert One shack this year. Good luck!

Quote:

I can't say I'm looking forward to riding in Nytelyter's exhaust trail
cool.gif

now thats just wrong. ive been workin on a new design but will have the chili beans as a back plan of course. i will be shootin for the sw side of the reef on the steep drop-off. ... paul