• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• chunkytrout

• Wade Joseph

• Northlander

Zappy, yes 644 is North Arm Road, and the access is where you said it is. It is not a plowed access, and is fairly steep. There's also no parking except on the road, so IF, and I mean IF, we use the North Arm for HQ, we'll all have to be sure to pull over and park on the same side of the road, which will allow traffic to pass. If we HQ at N.A., it's possible we can get someone to plow out that access, but there's only room for a couple vehicles to park at the access even if it's plowed. Plowed or not, it's no hill for a climber! grin.gif

It's two weeks to Bash time, however, and the North Arm is not set. We're looking at lows near zero in the extended forecast, and we'll be paying close attention to the ice off Van Vac access, which makes a much better HQ logistically (all that parking.) And if we do get enough ice for sleds/wheelers off Van Vac to make it the HQ (there is no open water in that bay, and with virtually no snow on the ice we can be making ice fast with a little cold weather), you can walk to trout water in 20 seconds. The whole south shore of Van Vac bay is good trout water. Just walk out to 50 feet or so and you're set. Chunky and I opened last year just down a bit east from the access there in 50 FOW and had our limits in two hours.

My plan is to fish the North Arm tomorrow with the sled, and I'll be cruising around and checking the ice up there. I may also get over to take a closer look off Van Vac, but if not tomorrow, Chunky and I will be testing ice next weekend.

Realistically, there's no need to know where the HQ will be at this point. The North Arm will work if that's where it has to be, so we know there'll be a bash, and as it gets closer, I reckon Chunky or I will start a new thread with final bash details and such.

Hey Stfcat, I'll be up Sun.-Thurs. fishing Miners and B-side. Give me a ring if you want to do any trout'n. 218-340-3306

(The pit produced for my friends on opener once again)

bwtrout: I'll be fishing on Bside North Arm today, but unfortunately have to work Mon-Thurs.

Everyone: Leaky reports 12 inches of ice off Van Vac, with limited driving of pickups going on. On the large bay west of Van Vac, Leaky's friends have a house on 9 inches of ice. This is good news, giving us more than one option for HQ.

What channel on the motorolla or CB can I get ahold of Steve (stf) or anyone else local once we get up there?

Morning folks! Well after having 100 years of electrical theory pounded into my brain in one weekend, I think I'm ready to get back to fishing. Good to hear you folks got out and a few of you got into fish. STF, no report from Trout? We'll have a decision on a HQ soon so stay tuned and remember, N=square root of a2+b2+c2-ab-ac-bc! My brain hurts tongue.gif

Bubba, my Trout report (or non report), complete with photo of my hardy companions, is over on the Vermilion board.

Come over tonight. You think your brain hurts, hah?? I'll give it something to hurt ABOUT! crazy.gif

Cashcrews and I fished burntside last weekend. We fished out of the Van Vac access out by the islands in the middle. We found 8-11inchs of ice. Sleds and wheelers shouldnt be a problem. Fishing was fair.

Well, finally, some Ely November weather in mid January. Five day forecast, starting with tonight, calls for lows from a few degrees below zero to a few degrees above zero, with highs in the upper teens to low 20s.

Yes, I know that's pretty good hunting season weather, but we'll take what we can get. With the lack of snow cover on most of the lakes, those temps will be freezing the light slush pockets solid and adding a bit of ice each day.

I doubt those people who are limited to trucks will feel comfortable driving around Burntside, and I DON'T recommend it. Too many variables. But it's encouraging to see the ice firming up.

Ahhh, the bash. grin.gif

Encouraging indeed! See, fret about it enough and Mother Nature hands you a nice hand. Finally made it out to a local streamer pond and saw some beautiful trout caught, none by me. Saw a matched male/female come out fifteen minutes apart. 19 1/2 inches each. She the great silver sow, he the black-purple hooked jaw stud. Ahh trout...

We'll hit the BSide this weekend and call an HQ. All is good. I still don't want people driving though. I can't stop ya, but I'll stick with caution's side this year.Besides, like STF said there's great trout water close to all of the HQs we're looking at. If you don't have a sled, get your gear together and someone will yank you out. Won't have to go far.

BTW, as of Monday, you have a 15lbs male (released) to beat so far this season. Lets see someone double it!

You guyz reports are killing me! I gotta run down to La Crosse this weekend to help the wife with some things in preperation to sell the house. I am chomping at the bit to get up there and ice me some fat fish! I think we are bringing a sled or two.

I won't drive on it unless its 12" consistent.

guys, is it really worth dragging my sleds up?

It sounds like we can walk out and fish real easy.

Have your guys got some new snow?

How's the snowmobile trails?

I hate to drag the sleds up on sloppy, salty roads.

If the roads are dry, we may bring a sled or two

Thanks Chuck

Sleds are always best. The spots off Van Vac within walking distance often are productive, but no spot yields fish all the time, and there are key spots you can't walk to. So that's up to you.

We did get a little fresh snow in the last couple days. An inch or two only. But the trails are in excellent shape, and the trail over Burntside will be staked by Bash time for sure. It's the same weekend as the Ragnar Fun Run, a big to-do with hundreds of sleds that run all over the area, including the trail on Burntside.

Thanks Steve, sounds like a guy could enjoy rubbing shoulders with a bunch of new friend fisherman and meet and mingle with a few sledders.

Hmmm, might have to bring the sled

Take care, Chuck

Awww heck, bring the sled. One more sled or two's a good thing, and the more sleds we have, the easier it'll be to haul those folks who are on foot if they need an assist. grin.gif

And you'll enjoy the company. By now, since this is the fourth annual bash, there's even LORE from the first three bashes. Stories . . . they're all in how you tell them! blush.gif

Ok its a done deal! We have hotel reservations at the Lakeland Hotel for Saturday night. We will be arriving sometime Saturday morning and leave sometime sunday. The Jiganator tells me we may be bringing a couple sleds as long as the roads aren't all slushy and salty.

Steve...I got the Labbatts, its sure gonna taste good celebrating my first laker thru the ice! wink.gif Might even have to pick up a watch fob of blackberry or maybe some rumpleminz. smirk.gif

I'll be easy to recognize, black bibs, black hooded carhart, and a blaze orange baseball hat. See yah soon!

Wade:

Buttershots!

Come looking for me, and I'll put you in a place good enough that the rest is up to you. But Chunky also wears black Carhartt bibs and black Carhartt hoody. How will I ever tell you apart? blush.gif

And tell Jiganator that if a fella is worried about getting road grime on his sleds, he's too worried. Check out motto below! grin.gif

And if that's not a good enough motto, here's a great Latin one. Carpe foxum. Guesses, anyone?

Buttershots??? Does that come in a pint or do I gotta mix it myself?

I will have on a Blaze orange Remington hat.

Carpe Foxum ???? ..... Seize the hot chics?

I think we are gonna bring the mini webber grill too! fishing, beer, cook out...bring on the....never mind.

Change to may have to count me out

Been chasing a good job for a year, got word of some poosible new developments.

Benifits, union, retirement, great pay. Crossing my fingers

Looks like Im out as well. frown.gif Some last second goodies came up that I cant pass up.

Jiganator and Northlander, we'll miss you! Jig, I didn't mean anything by the crack about worrying over salt on the sleds. I was just funnin ya. frown.gif

Wade: Buttershots is an over-the-counter beverage. You'll find it anywhere up here. It comes in a most excellent plastic traveler's 750ml container.

Finns: You nailed it! grin.gif

Chunky Trout,

Did you get my email I sent you? Were you able to talk things over with Mr.Catfish? Do you still have my emaill address?

LP, I haven't checked mail yet but I'll get to it now. Guess what folks, we're making ice. Seems old manwinter finaly paid us a visit