• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Might the North Arm be an option if driving out isn't an option?

I hate to say this, but maybe have it be (fill in lake name here) BASH for this season frown.gif

There's gotta be some sort of BASH.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• chunkytrout

• Wade Joseph

• Northlander

There's plenty of spots worth the walk. North Arm being one of them. There's also the possibility of sledding folks out. All of this depending on not getting a real cold snap.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

A lot can happen between now and the date fo the Bash.

Even if it's sleds/wheelers only, don't expect to have to go all over on foot. I have a sled, so does chunky and S.T. and there are others who will be there with sleds. Mine can't haul double, but I'll be happy to tow people out, them sitting on their portable behind the sled, and I reckon others will be willing to do double-duty, too.

As far as being on foot goes, Chunky and I opened last year 300 yards from the Van Vac access and limited in two hours. The walk off Passi Road to good fishing is about half a mile, and it's about a quarter mile walk from the North Arm access to nice laker water.

And the Van Vac access has a dozen excellent fishing spots within a mile, easy towing for a sled/wheeler, and all the parking we could want.

Oh, I'll be there, 100 yds, or 1 a 1000, it would just be nice to not have to spend the first our after arrival resting.

Sorry if I put on a damper but I really want this to be a fun event. The most excitement I want is pulling that 15 pounder out of the hole. Not a 4000 pound truck. We'll keep everyone posted and do what we can do to put people on fish. We just have to take a second seat to mother nature and hope for the best. Regardless, we'll be out there fishing lakers. If our grandfathers could here us now....."Walk?!? PPLLEEAASSEE!" Grandpappy would slap me a good one! grin.gif

Yeh, bubba. If you don't wanna walk a few hundred yards, you don't really want a lake trout. That'd be you grandpa's motto before he put his fingerprints on your face! grin.gif

I say this, of course, a few hours before I leave for my second walk of the season into the Bdub and Trout Lake. Considering how bad the ice on Bside is, I'm likely to "open" on Trout again next weekend.

By the time the Bash comes around, what's a little walk among friends??? But I expect we'll be wheelin' and sleddin' by then. If not, tough. Lean into the rope and sweat a little and the beer tastes all the better. cool.gif

We would

Hate to be left Hi & Dry if we have to sled in a ways....

As long as we're safe the event will go off with a BBQ smash

G'Morning -CLoma

Off to Cheq- for more mud bay fishing.....

since I will not be going to canada this year, this sounds like something I am interested in, what is there for lodging that is still available?

I would like to show up friday afternoon, and stay the weekend.

Knoppers, there's Grand Ely Lodge on the spendy side and for bargain hunters there's the Paddle Inn and Motel Ely. Both the bargain places, while costing not too much, offer good rooms.

I'd call soon. It's the same weekend as the Ragnar Fun Run, which brings snowmobilers from all over the place to zoom around Babbitt, Ely and Lake Vermilion. They all end up at Grand Ely Lodge Saturday evening after the run for prize drawings and a bash of their own.

If you want a full list of motels, do a search for the ely chamber of commerce web site and go there.

WOOHOO!!!! 6 degrees F overnight. I forgot what my heating system sounded like!

ST, sorry I've missed your calls. I'll get back to you.

First post!

I'm heading up to this little get together with fishaholic, if work don't mess me up.

We were thinking about getting a room and staying one night.

All new to me, I have never fished Lake trout

Might bring a snowmobile or two to enjoy a little riding also.

Take Care, The jiganator

Welcome aboard jiganator. See you at the Bash.

Does anybody have an Idea where on the lake or is it to early. Bringing sleds and 4 to 6 people just wondering.

Still a bit of mystery at this point rip. We should have it nailed down in a week. Trying to find a spot where follks could walk in to a decent spot without too much effort. When we find it, that'll also be the main meeting area. Good call bringing sleds!

Looks like I can't make the Bash this year. I had my date wrong for the Derby. frown.gif

Frank you need to get that Derby given to someone else. Your kids to old to be playing with wooden cars now. wink.gif

I cant believe your not going to be at the Bash! Looks like the Wabbit is safe for 1 more year now. blush.gif

The jiganator just got his new HT baitcaster rod and mounted his Shamano Bait caster today, as adised for these Lakers.

May not be the experinced one, but i will fit in atleast smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Chunky,

Long time, first time... grin.gif

Is it worth even thinking about coming up on monday for the day and hitting the north arm? Either a walk out deal or bring the sled (that otter isnt light to pull but with the lack of snow on the ice, might not be toooooo bad)?

Either that or i might just hit a stocker 'bow lake around here for a few "smokers". See you and STF at the end of the month no matter what, thinking of maybe coming up friday AM if i can work some stuff out here.

X, I'm leaning towards the N Arm for an HQ. Ice isn't too bad and good chances of people on foot getting into a laker without much of a walk. RE: monday, this monday? If you're up here, let me know 218-290-4257. Lake is sleddable at this point but chancy. Spots of open water and spots of thin/poor ice. Mostly close to the islands and over flowage. I'm not even thinking of anything but sled and foot travel. In fact I can't tell people what to do, but if I see people from our group driving cars/trucks, I'll be forced to "give them what's left of a peice of my mind", grin.gif At this point we pray for at least a week of sub-freezing temps. Regardless, I'm there! I'm missing opener for an electrical class!!! mad.gif

For you folks that haven't graced these waters, don't be too put off by the ice reports. When the going gets tough..... Kind of romantic if you think about it. crazy.gif

ST, wish the driver and the pit crew my best in the derby. Do you guys wear hemets?

STF, call me on my cell this weekend evenings RE: BB. I'll be in the TC.

I believe the "jiginator" and I will be headingup Sat morning. Gonna bring a couple sleds, a few beers, and lots of hope. Oh yeah, we know a few good jokes too!

Couple of questions...How will we be able to identify "HQ"? will there be signs or flags,some kinda awning type shelter? Will there be an abundance of HQ staff laying on the ice suffering from overindulgance of adult beverages?

I will be happy to finally put some faces and names to all these colorful screen names.

CT,

I think that i may just hang out here this weekend and take Jr. out and try for some streamers one day and maybe hit a small panfish lake another (really dont need to drop my sled in the lake smile.gif.

Looks like some colder weather next week (hopefully). the north arm would be fine by me, i used to camp up there in a spot on the east shoreline, and camped a few times up on Hanson and walked the portage down to Bside to shorefish.

Most likely I will be heading up either friday night or early saturday morning, the friday am thing's not gonna work.

wade what time are you going up.We are meeting at pike lake I hope If you want to hook up we can start a parade.

chunkytrout,

Your leaning toward the North Arm for an HQ? I'll be one of the "on foot" people so I like that idea. I can drag my stuff about a half mile as long as the snow has a nice crust or there is a snowmobile track to follow. My map shows an access off of 644 perhaps a half mile from the very northern tip of the north arm. Is that correct. The map shows the road going down to Furaganger Bay...is there an access there too? Thanks.

Were gonna leave Jacobson about 6am Saturday, take 65 thru Swan River to Goodland, Cnty 16 to State Hwy 73 to Hibbing, then State Hwy 169 to Ely. We figure we should be screeching to a stop about 8 am. We will be on the radio asking for final directions when we get to the lake. What channel should I tune the little motorolla radio to or will a CB work?

I keep the Cb tuned to 19, just hollar for "Fishahollik" I'll answer if I hear yah.