• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The location on Bside is not set. It depends on slush, snow and other factors. The location was near the public landing off Passi Road the first two years, but heavy slush and snow kept that ice road from being plowed last winter, so last year's bash was accessed at a different part of the lake, near the public landing off Van Vac Road.

So stay tuned. Once things freeze up and the January laker opener takes place, we'll have a better handle on ice/slush/snow conditions, and Chunky will figure it out then.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• chunkytrout

• Wade Joseph

• Northlander

West Gate Motel

218-365-4513 800-806-4979

Super 8 Motel

218-365-2873 1-800-800-8000

The Paddle Inn 218-365-6036

Adventure Inn 218-365-3140

Ely Motel 218-365-3237

Grand Ely Lodge 218-365-6565

There's your lodging list folks.

The actual HQ will be posted shortly before the event.

This is one of my favorite pics. from last years bash...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/casaloma/IceFisnTruck.jpg

So, last year trucks made the ice road well.... There was a bit of an afternoon Geyser on the road From Van Vac to the headquarters & the boys told me to get off the ice after the weigh in... Or risk flooding in my Subaru wagon...-Thanks Boys!

Who has this awesome NoDak Plate????

-CLoma

Trucks, ATVs, sleds. They all were there last year. We even let in Cas's favorite truck from N.D. blush.gif

The late afternoon geyser was the result of a local guy showing off with his plow truck on the road, which didn't need plowing. Caught an uneven crack with his plow right near the landing and tore out a big chunk of ice. Yup, she was a gusher!

Each year's conditions are their own. Some years, trucks are too hard to get around in because of really deep snow and slush. Last year was like that to some degree. Then it's mostly sleds. Other years, like the first one I fished up here a few years ago, there was only six inches of snow in late January, and I drove anywhere I wanted, and those were great ATV conditions too.

No telling how it'll shape up this time around until Mother Nature has her say. She always gets the last word.

I bet that was "iffwalleyes" truck or possibly his fishing partners.

He's from NoDak, was there last year, and loves Jiffy Augers. I know he was driving a Chevrolet 2500 Series and the color is close. Thought he had a topper also.

Is that you "iff"?

• 3 weeks later...

Chunky, STF and S.T. I think we all would agree this needs a sticky. Wouldnt we? Its getting to be that time of year again. Looks like our 1st snowfall should be happening tomorrow. Oops I mean later on today. Shift work is a killer I tell ya. grin.gif

I wouldnt miss this event for nothin. Meow! wink.gif

This sounds like a good time. If the ice and snow will allow me to drive out, I'll be there. I have no 4wheeler or snowmobile so looks like the F150 will have to do. I got 'eye gear, Power auger, but no 'lectronics. Hope Santa can bring me a portable ice house.

Chunkybutt Trout--

It is definately a possibility, I will have to look into my calendar. If nothing else, we will hit up some other lakes for fish.

Pig

I am definately in for the Bash.

Are you guys going to keep the road dry this year? confused.gif Or should I bring bags of kitty litter? grin.gif

Hey, tell it to the bozo who thought he needed to plow a clear road just so he could show off his truck. grin.gif

This snow storm has the blood pumping. I am really looking foward to this, I have read alot about Lakers thru the ice, now I get a chance to get em!

casey: Hmmm, long bar on the chainsaw could allow some cuts 100 feet long by a foot wide thru the ice. Can't you see it now? Bside bashers staggering up and down the long hole in the ice, varying their trolling speeds, some standing still vertical jigging, others stopping and starting in clumsy staggers. Golly, it's got bash written all over it! smirk.gif

Heck, maybe the Wabbit would become a sponsor. blush.gif

Wade: No fish thru ice I've very caught are as aggressive and hard fighting as a laker. You'll be addicted in no time.

I also have a extra 7' by 7' Frabil Speedshack someone could use. Its heavy but great to fish out of.

Pigashalaka, OK now you know my true moniker however I don't have a chunky butt. You obviously have me mistaken with STF Catfish whos butt we could rest a six-pack on as well as a good hand of solitaire. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif Now you sir are sitting on a few trout ponds of your own. Care to share???

Quote:

[casey: Hmmm, long bar on the chainsaw could allow some cuts 100 feet long by a foot wide thru the ice. Can't you see it now? Bside bashers staggering up and down the long hole in the ice, varying their trolling speeds, some standing still vertical jigging, others stopping and starting in clumsy staggers. Golly, it's got bash written all over it!]

Ok, now I am going to have to make it up for sure. It sounds like a blast. I have only gone fishing for lakers once in Canada in June and it was awesome. I have stayed in a number of places in Ely over the years (West Gate, Adventure Inn, Paddle Inn) any place better than the rest?

Paddle Inn is one of the least expensive, and they did really fine by me, Northlander and Poutslayer the night we stayed over for the first bash before I moved up here.

If I remember right, it was about $55 total, an easy split on the finances for three guys. Lotta room, nice shower, three beds. Otherwise we'd have had to draw lots to see which of us heavyweights had to share a bed. UGGHH! blush.gif

Motel Ely is another good one.

Chunky, you're gonna pay . . . . ooo.gif

Dont know if Im going up fri nite or sat early am. There agian dont know if others are giong. ? is what time does it start in the am?

The more formal bashes of last year and the year before had definite start and stop times, since they were tournies with prizes and all. This year, as with the first year, it'll be get up when you can/want to and fish. The bash itself will be a Saturday deal, but lots of folks come up Friday, some stay overnight to get out early on Saturday, and some also stay overnight Saturday night to fish Sunday. There's usually a handful sleeping in a tent or two or a pickup out on the ice, as well.

As the event comes closer, what details need to be supplied will be supplied, but the Bash is returning to its more informal roots.

Chunkytrout is the originator and overseer of the bash, and I will defer to him on those details, even if he thinks my butt is big enough to play board games on. tongue.gif

Oh, you've jabbed me enough kiddo but, I take it back and I apologize. Besides, solitaire isn't a board game anyway. grin.gif

Yes more details to come.

Hey bubba, I know, you're due for joshin me. I need a little crap now and then. Don't take it back. And I just exaggerated the slolitaire thing a little. If you can put a six pack on it and play solitaire at the same time, there's gotta be room for a board game. grin.gif

If there isn't all the fan fair this year, does that mean you guys won't have a new video out on the Ice Leaders web site with that tough guy voice narrating? grin.gif

I am SOOOO looking foward to this. I am gonna bring a freind of mine from Jacobson Mn. He has sleds AND 4 wheelers, so we should be able to get on the ice no matter what the conditions are.

I'll be sure to think of a way to easily Identify myself. Maybe a big Packer flag or something.

The Packer flag probably isn't necessary. I don't think there will be a need to burn anything out on the ice, most people have heaters. The focus is fishing, so no need for a big green target grin.gif

Just remember Purple is the color of Royalty grin.gif