• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I GUESSthe tot lot it is have two seins ready to go. Should have more than enough people to pull a couple we can always move to the bridge See ya at the lot. Its going to be somewhat croweded tonight just holler out loadmaster/kit ST if you are online call 525-5782

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Surface Tension

• loadmaster

• jigglestick

• Northlander

hey, since you guys said that everyone is welcome, how about giving me directions to the point from highway 35. I would really appreciate that.

I just got back from P.P. I went all the way down to the last parking lot by the airport. I didn't see the posts about everyone meeting at the Tot lot until just now. We did pretty good. I got as many as I wanted to clean tonight. I'll be back out Sat. night same spot even if mother nature decides not to cooperate. It would be great to put some faces with names.

Good luck

Ukes

I just got back from P.P. I went all the way down to the last parking lot by the airport. I didn't see the posts about everyone meeting at the Tot lot until just now. We did pretty good. I got as many as I wanted to clean tonight. I'll be back out Sat. night same spot even if mother nature decides not to cooperate. It would be great to put some faces with names.

Good luck

Ukes

tubejig, how late did you stay? i had to leave by 12:30(long drive)did poorly by totlot, but they may have gotten some after i left. ran into quitea few guys down there.
loadmaster--thanks for the fire. it was nice to meet you and your family. i would have liked to stay later, but i didn't make it home til 2:45 the way it was.i'll keep posted to see how you guys are doing.
surface, we'll hook up some time. i've never fished the big lake, or tributaries, but i have often thought about doing it. kind of out of my element, but i'm a good student, and i like to drink beer when i don't have to go anywhere.
sudden impact--you seem like the kind of guy who just likes to get around and try new things. the kind of guy who isn't hard to talk into having a good time with what ma nature provides.that's the way it should be. we only go around once. any body want to hook up on url next winter, look me up on the forum. i am off from the first of dec--through the first of april.
later----------jigglestick------------

Jigglestick,

I stayed until 12:40. From 10:00 - 12:30 we saw several groups of guys come in take about 10 pulls. Filled there pails and left.
It was still going good when I left but all I could think about was my thirsty throat.
I have to get my smelt this weekend. I'm heading to URL next friday for some crapodiles.

Good luck

Ukes

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I had a fun time at the point. Alot of forum guy were there. Jigglestick,JJ,Evntam,,SuddenImpact,Catfish and Lundman it was nice to meet you. I hope I didnt miss anyone. Loadmaster and Northlander it was good to see you guys again. Jigglestick after you left we still could only get about a dozen smelt per pull.
Thank's guy's let's go it again soon. smile.gif

Hi Guys,
Likewise, it was nice to meet some of you. Sounds like you were right S.T., the later the better huh. If I wouldn't have had to work Sat., I would have stayed a little longer. Anybody that's going to go again, post it up here, I'd like to at least come down and see how everybody does. I don't have the stuff to bring, but like hanging out anyway.

Set the Hook!!...oops, I mean, Pull the Nets!!

Lundman

Northlander Do ya think the smelt will still be running this fri. or sat. I hope to be back in town sometime early fri afternoon.The cruise was way to much fun and the food put a smile on my face. The temps were in the lower 90s most of the time with hardly a cloud in the sky.Talk to ya when I get back.

------------------

HOOK-UM

went to the lester,the point,and the little creek out in fondulac i dont know the name of it,we worked hard all night stayed until it was light out the only time we would stop pulling nets was when we were going somewhere else. we didn't get 1 smelt the weather was bad,fresh snow and very windy big waves crashing in to the mouth of the lester made it kind of interesting when we would get next to the lake so we worked the first few holes of the river hard,we ended up getting 3 loopers and 1 very nice native steelhead it had to be all of 8 lbs very pretty fish and of course these fish were handled very carefully never touched by our hands and of course all were released we just took a quick peek with a flashlight and they were gone the fish never left the water. it sure is nice to see a steelhead like that very bright fish reminds me of the fish i catch in wis. sure hope we see the numbers get back up again,by the way she was a hen full of spawn,sorry about getting away from the smelt subject a little but man when i see a fish like that it just gets me pumped up big time all you fellow steelheaders know exactly what i mean,just love that steel ok i'm better now haha.so how did the rest of you guy's do hopefully better than we did, but i had a blast.we only had dipnets so we were limited a little. gotta get a siene for next weekend sure would be nice to get a few anyway oh well can't say we didn't try.also i got a question maybe someone could answer for me how far can one legally go up the river to dip for smelt is there a boundary line?because if you are allowed to go anywhere on the river i can just imagine what kind of damage this doe's to the steelhead redds, i personally think there should be a limit like from the lake to the highway bridge if this is not the way it is already because these fish can only go a short distance up stream not the miles like like it is in other states if it where up to me i would ban smelting in trout streams all together the only reason we were in the river last night is because all we had were dipnets and it was a spur of the moment decision to go but i am going to get a seine before next weekend and we will go pull the shore somewhere. i know some of you might not agree with me but thats the way i feel about this and want to see the steelhead population come back stronger than ever.if you have never gone after the steelhead in the rivers i suggest that you should give it a try it takes a little while to get the hang of fishing for them because there is a lot to learn about reading the rivers and figuring out where the fish hold or detecting the real light bites because a lot of the time they just suck in your yarn fly and hold it you got to be able to tell when your hook has stopped moving it is very important to be able to feel the sinker rolling across the bottom to detect these bites and remember when in doubt SET SET SET but once you get it all figured out and start catching some fish you will be hooked on it for life its great give it a try some time you won't be sorry just stick with it and it will all come in time i have seen people give up on it without giving it much of a chance they expect to much right away we are not fishing panfish you won't catch these fish in numbers like that at first just concentrate on getting your drifting technics mastered and everything will start to fall into place after that,just DON'T GIVE UP. i know i am not alone when i say i think it's the best fishing there is to be had. sorry that i got off on the steelhead but it's been a long night and i am tired see what those fish do to me haha. good luck on what ever kind of fishing your into as long as you have fun thats all that matters,sorry this was so long but i am tired and kinda sitting here spacing out,i just wanted to give you some info on how we did before i go crash for awhile later,Bruce grin.gif