• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

SCSU dam

I haven't had much luck down there either, not that I have tried too hard. The water is much faster and up a lot higher than I can remember in about 4 yrs of fishing below the (Contact US Regarding This Word), a lot of water is bing pushed. I'd suspect it will come down soon, as ice up north should be gone or is almost gone. After water levels are down a bit I will probably head down there more often.

Good Luck,

Chad

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• poutpro

• tonyjor

• Knute78

• Captain B.R.K

Knute78 hit it right on, the water is a lot higher than I've seen down there in a long time. The good thing is that the eye's might be biting after it is legal to target them. Could make for an interesting opener. I'll head down there this week sometime and test my luck anyhow, you never know just exactly when the fish will move in there, or at least start biting.

Was out again tonight, and caught one little smallmouth, and a guy there caught only 2 small crappies. A few more weeks and warm days, and I think they will be in there.

We tried hitting some spots above the (Contact US Regarding This Word) by Wilson Park for some crappies but I think it might be a little early. We just caught one really nice smally.

When you are above the dam, are those poles that are on the banks usually underwater? I figured they were maybe put there for spawning logs for smallmouth, and were just out of the water because of how much is being let through.

They put them in the water by that little bay-like part of the dam. They float and I'm pretty sure that they are used to promote spawning and prevent erosion from the shore. I lost a nice lure on them last year, so be careful when casting around them.... smirk.gif

My buddy Jay would like to know if the bigs ones are "running" down by the SCSU dam yet. He only goes for those big trophy mounts, if you know what I mean! Aint that right Jay!! blush.gif Oh yeah, and how's the fishin been?

Has anyone checked the water temp anywhere around the dam yet? I am kind of curios as to how much it has warmed so far.

Was out last night. We caught a mixed bag of fish, caught all of the fish on small hair jigs with a minnow while fishing for crappies. We managed 2 decent crappies (one 12" one 14", measured and released) in 3 hrs of fishing. Also caught walleyes, one smallie, a northern, and plenty of rock bass. It was fun although I wish we landed more crapps.

Well thats good that some crappies are biting there now. I will probably be down there this Tuesday trying for some crappies. Are fish okay to eat out of there if I were to keep a few crappies? I won't be able to without a fillet knife here, but I was kinda curious.

I was out there today and didnt catch or see one crappie. I caught one small walleye and saw a few others being caught but overall it looked very slow. There are tons of rock bass biting it anyone is interested in them. Knute78, just curious but where you standing yesterday, I was out there and didnt notice any crappies caught but did see alot of rock bass being pulled up along side of the cement wall, where you bobber fishing?

Was standing across from the peir along the rock wall on that cement slab below the wall with my buddy, you may have saw us. We managed 2 crappies, and the kid fishing above the cement wall caught 1 from what we saw. He gave us his minnow so we got to stay out longer. We started with bobbers and then took them off but still used the small hair/feather jigs with a minnow to get it closer to bottom and stay put (cannot recall the name of the jig), I know it is a panfish jig.

Anyways was down there tonight all we saw beign caught was waleyes, we caught two of them on the same jig setup. Didn't see any crappies caught.

How do you fish the swirling water on the North side of that peir? I tried the other day, and couldn't find a way to keep my lure from being washed around.

I don't fish there for crappies, it would be pretty much impossible with the size of lure I usually use this time of year. The only luck I have had in there is once smallmouth opens up and you can use larger lures and jigs to keep them down it the water colum better.

Quote:

used the small hair/feather jigs with a minnow to get it closer to bottom and stay put (cannot recall the name of the jig), I know it is a panfish jig.

I think you're probably talking about a flu flu or a fire fly

Yeah its the Flu Flu, I just couldn't remember the name when I was posting.

I was out this afternoon for about 45 min - 1hr and caught 4 EYES and 1 pike. Nobody I saw is catching crappies yet. Only thing I saw being caught was rock bass, carp, and sheephead.

Caught 1 crappie and a load of rock bass in the 1.5 I fished today. Saw another guy crappie fishing in the area with a good 4 inch twister tail, the fish he was catching sure didn't look like crappies or rockbass. The crappie are definately not in there thick right now besides the occasional one, I might have to look for another spot, perhaps on a local lake if I can find one with shore access. Anyone know of any lakes around the area to fish crappies from shore without giving away "your" hot spots?

One of the spunk lakes just out of Avon, I think it is Upper Spunk, has a nice little lagoon that holds a fair number of panfish in the spring. I know a lot of people visit that park every spring.

Has anyone checked the water temperature in the eddie by the peir? I would think that you could catch some crappies there very very soon now, but all that seems to be biting is walleyes and rough fish with a pike thrown in there now and then.

Anyone been down here at all? I would expect some people to get out again now with this nice weather.

• 3 weeks later...

We've been down there a few times sence opener, have seen a few walleyes caught on minnows right in the current, lots of Bass bein caught but of course thay prpbably won't bite any more after bass openes!!!! Evening hours after about 6pm is best down there!

Thanks for the report....might have to go down tonight and check it out. This wind isn't what you call fun to manuever a boat in.

Just got back from the river, just below the dam on the SCSU campus side.

Wind was down and the fish were keying in on the flies hatchin'. To bad I didn't have my fly fishing gear around...couldn't catch a thing.

Nice evening though.

• 2 months later...

So how's the fishing been down there this year. It seemed like with the water being up for so long that there have been people down there fishing everytime i go over the bridge, which is usually every day. I haven't seen any posts about the fishing there for a while so I was hoping if any of you that are fishing down there are fm'ers that you could clue us in.

There is a good bit all the time down there.

I get walleyes and crappies all year round

It's all in where and what you use and time.

Sometimes are better than others But always have sucess.

I was down there last Mon and did great.

I don't keep the fish But on Mon caught 8 eyes 17"to 21"

and 8 crappies.Timing is the big key down there

What do you usually use down there? Do you bobber fish or just cast and retrieve. Is there much Bass action down there? We have caught some smallies down there but usually on the riverside park side. That was a few years back too!!

• 2 weeks later...

good thread...i have fished it for a number of moons..to many to count

caught a 35# musky on the west side a few years ago...caught some really nice cats there too...we hauled in a 10# recently

I think a current running on the east side improves fishing dramatically for cats...theres a 30' hole almost in the middle there..actually just off the main current from the power plant discharge

10-12' avg on the east side...but when calm water its the dead sea to me lol

Great place to sit for an afternoon an throw out a monster sucker minnow an wait it out for hogger northern or musky

beaver island is always productive...10am to 2pm does really well for smallmouth...occasinal walley an catfish on crankbaits an rattletraps...rattletraps bieng my favorite..but have money saved up cause the river is ungrateful for snags

blaze orange an the florecent blue rapalas in cloudy weather produce...gold an silver on clear days

mister twister jigs on 1/4 ounce jig head...i carry yellow,white, orange an black...just downriver from the fishin pier where the water starts to get shallow is a great place for smallies an walleyes with jigs...where i hooked my musky as well

the second boat landing...has a really nice hole thats fairly deep..some nice rocks to stand on an can stand from shore...picked up alot of cats there an some really nice smallies

nobody ever fishes above that (Contact US Regarding This Word) on the west side...theres rip-rap rocks an fast moving water...have caught walleye but mostly small mouth bass there using cranks..rattletraps work best here...some hawgs cruise this an theres no smallie restrictions above the dam

good luck

prob seen me down there..im the guy with the 9' rods