• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Green Lake Forum

jiggingjim one simple question has the walleye fishing improved or declined scince the dnr study castindad

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• castindad

• GullGuide

• LocalGuide

• jigginjim

dad, that's a pretty subjective question. that question is gonna be answered differently (i'm guessing) by different fisherman, depending on their tactics. (dragging bottom vs. open water trolling). later.

goose

How about this answer... YES, NO, Maybe so... That covers it.

Generally speaking, I would suppose so.

castingdad, I think the lake is back to where it was in 1960 to 65. My dad and uncle used fly rods to catch smallies on green. I'm going to try it this summer and i may even eat some. And why not, you can keep them less than 14". I don't normally keep smallies i catch in the river. But green OK i'll do my part to rid the lake of these little crawler stealing fish. LOL wink.gif

Lol, I had one once that I miss hooked on green. It wasnt that bad, just like a huge crappie fillet.

Its not them buggers im worried about stealing my crawlers. Its those D*** rock bass! If we should get ride of anything, let it be them bass-turds! tongue.gifgrin.gif

According to DNR stats there were .4 bass per gillnet in Green Lake in 1965. In 2004 there were 2.2 per gillnet or approx. 5.5 times as many as in 1965. jigginjim feel free to take 5 or 6 home for supper.

let's get together for a (smallie) fish fry. i'm sure the rest of the state will be impressed. later,

mustup.

I wonder how them smallies taste? I can honestly say I have never tasted one. I think they would taste better swimming in the lake. haha

After sitting here thinking about the smallies in green... How many smallies do you actually think there are in green? I know the number is high. But what would be a good guess?

Hmm, kinda makes you wonder also how may fish are actually in a lake. crazy.gif

Just one of those crazy random thoughts again.

walleyeking, my tastebuds don't care for the smallies much but the onions and potatoes in my garden absolutely love them!

localguide, Think what the DNR have been doing to Mille Lacs. And look where that got them. Fish are goofy you never know where or now many? Guess thats everyone who likes a challenge fishes? If it were not for fishing. We would be tring to figure out woman, and now to keep them pleased. Fishing's a (place finger in #3 coil trap for words)

lot more fun. grin.gif Sorry, gals you can just revise to figuring out us guys.

jiggin' please clarify what you mean by saying.......

"Think what the DNR have been doing to Mille Lacs. And look where that got them."

thanks.

goose

I really have no business replying here, since I don't live in Minnesota any more, but as many of you have discussed, walleyes suspend most of their lives.

I started fishing full moon phases in May and June, and October for walleyes over Deep water. Planner boards, and an assortment of crankbaits, from big Shad raps to orginal 18 raps. It was amazing the numbers of big fish that were caught. Did it work every night?? Naw, but it was a pattern I never perfected. Were I live now, I fish a lake 20' max, has hundreds apon hundreds of acres of rock piles, which are great early in the year, but come summer, are vacated by pretty much every walleye. Why? No food. The shad all suspends and every good angler loads up the planner boards with raps and crawler harnesses.

There is a great article or thread(don't remember) posted by a Gull/Brainerd area guide(??????) can't remember his name(he was Gull Guides fishing partner for a while). Anyway, he wrote a wonderfull article on the fine arts of open water trolling. I can only assume this was Gulls inspiration for Green.

Guys, sometimes it's not the fish that's the problem, sometimes it's how we are targeting the fish. Patterns change, and if you guys are targeting walleyes for the challenge you claim, than buck up and start trying something new.

Open water trolling fish can be released....and should!!!!

If you do a search in the Brainerd forum, Toad went into this in depth. He has also written a few articles in In-Fish about this very subject.

I have not perfected this on Green yet, in fact it really hasnt been totally perfected anywhere, each year it's a different color, different speed, different variable, but the times I did try this last year they were productive. This was when many people were complaining about how poor the bite was.

So after all this discussion, nobody has mentioned when the bass fish fry is???! smile.gif

jigginjim, i'm not trying to keep this thread going, but since you are a guide and an FM moderator, i'd love to hear you expand on your previous statement ....

"Think what the DNR have been doing to Mille Lacs. And look where that got them."

thanks in advance.

goose

jigginjim, i'm still interested in your thoughts on the dnr that were questioned in the previous post. thanks again, in advance.

goose

Gee Wizz guys this threads still going omg!! Now I remember why I moved away. I wish there were as many people concerned about green when I fished it religiously, lol this is what i remember about kandiohyi county tons of lakes, tons of fish, and tons of fisherman that can sit around and complain about the fishing but never fish until they here they are biting(too late) then, its hard to catch fish sitting at the computer, they've been hammering nice slabs all around you guys any of you guys fish crappies or have thoughts of starting a thread on that subject, not trying to be rude even though I can't help myself but for god sakes at least end the thread on green, get out and fish some slabs before its too late. Green will always be there, and it seems to get better each time I fish it which isn't often these days, if it really is that bad theres only like 50 better lakes in like 30 mile radius that you could fish. Maybe start a new thread on green once we can actually fish walleyes again. I will be fishing the area for opener and green would be the last place on earth I will be. What about Long, Solomon, North Long, Florida, Eagle, diamond, point, heck foot, elizabeth, kasota, koronis, heck calhouhn, what ever happend to diamond lake? anything but green this is just too much I've never seen a thread this long sorry to all the guys who actually had some real input, greens always been this way the only difference now is we have the internet I guess. I truly hope they lift the ban on bass and pike in the lake. The lake was better before we stopped spearing the heck out of it every season since I was a very young boy. Theres just no reason for the pike thing it rediculous. If they ever open it back up to spearing for pike I'll be back so fast it wont even be funny. The other thing I remember is the dnr messing up at every turn, I watched ringo drop a foot in 2 nights why? I'm sure someone remembers, I wonder if the back bay on ringo actually held any water this year on the gravel road for some slabs. D-amn N-ear R-etarded Its as if they want all of the water in the county to remain in green lake, look what they did to nest thats where I drew the line when I had to back my van/boat in so far that I had to walk across the roof to get my boat off the trailer that fall when they dropped the lake like 3 feet in a matter of weeks. It was worth it I just pounded the crappies and pike and a few eyes around the islands, unfortunately it will be one of my last memories fishing after the docks were out in the fall on nest. Its this way statewide you cant move away from the problem either. Most of are fishing problems have more to do with weather, and fishing pressure, and cold springs and poor spawning cycles really all things out of are control all you can do is fish your but off and hope to keep the crowds off your back. If everybody would stop fishing in 80-100 feet of water off hulcrens bar all of november and december last year(I seen ya out there) like 50 boats in a circle, killing your own fish is what thats abought, not worth it for hundreds of dead 15" or smaller eyes in my book. Monkey see Monkey do!!

AAhhhhhhhh the allure of Green. Speaking for myself, the reason I enjoy Green more than the other FUBAR'd duck sloughs in the area, is that it's for the most part, structure fishing. Humps, points, inside turns, flats, hard bottom....transitions, etc... . As for the duck sloughs, I fish em once in awhile when I wanna go on a pig adventure.

smirk.gif

Just an FYI....

The DNR did NOT drop the water level in Nest. It was due to Green Lake property owners sneaking over and removing the planks in the dam. The DNR was furious but every time they would replace the planks, they would vanish again. They do not have the time or resourses to sit and babysit the dam so it will continue uless we get so much water it won't make a difference.

Another thing....

Money talks. As long as Green continues to put up multi million dollar homes, it always will be the focus. That's something that will not change sorry to say.

It's only going to get worse.

So what would happen if other people that lived on Nest went over and filled in the planks again? Lol... What a on-going battle we have here. frown.gif

So why doesn't the DNR have some way of locking the planks in the (Contact US Regarding This Word)? Like a metal bar over the top or something? That way, at least it will be a pain in the @$$ for the people that think they need planks?

Lol, yeah I know. Its probably worthless.

I'm sory to have been hasty with my posts Green is a great lake and will teach many fisherman valuable lessons, but now you can see why i'm sore on the subject. These people think they own the lake. frown.gif

Did I actually just go through the entire thread and read evey post wow what a waste I think I came out a little dumber than when I came in but I guess it proves I must still care about green, I spent countless hours there as a kid and young adult, and will never forget all the nice memories I had good luck guys on your never ending battle on bass versus walleyes, myself I am so bored with bass smallies and largemouth that I could care less what happened to them, I also am getting quite bored with the walleyes you guys are right walleyes arent much of a challenge once you figure the out and bass are way to easy to catch, I have a 29.5 and a 32.5 inch both from kandiohyi county duck sloughs for my wall and fished my butt off up here in pope and douglas county the last 2 seasons only to manage a 28.5 walleye and relesead a few near state record smallies too big deal you guys just dont know how good you have it I wont be returning to this thread or green lake for many years, start fishing them duck sloughs and your problems will go away grin.gif

eyehunter10, since you have green lake figured out so well, you should come here and fish the 2 walleye tournaments here this summer. you could make some great cash. ( i doubt it)

Just because someone may know the lake and can catch fish does not mean they can or would do well in tourneys. It's a lot more complex than that. There is a lot of luck involved as well.

I have been in many tourneys where guides who pretty much live on the lake that is being fished got their rears handed to them. It happens all the time, just ask anyone who fishes a lot of tourneys.

Lake knowlege helps, but it does not guarentee a thing.

i agree with you 110% gullguide, that is why i said he should come and fish the tourneys since the walleyes are so "easy to catch" for him. this way maybe he wouldn't get so bored with it, or else maybe he will find out that the walleyes aren't always so easy to catch., but then again, maybe he was just fishing in 70' of water off the north side of hultgrens bar in late october.