• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Green Lake Forum

I was defending him, I was not supporting your post.

I can and do find plenty of walleye in Green as well, but my methods are not conducive to tourney fishing...and no, I do not use TNT grin.gif

I'm sure he fishes the same way/s that I do out there.

Green is a tough day bite lake no matter what time of year. Yea, there are some times where there is a good day bite, but overall, fishing at night far out-does the daytime.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• castindad

• GullGuide

• LocalGuide

• jigginjim

Lol I have passed every year as long as I can remember I hate tourneys for the most part is this all fishing has become the love of exploiting a pure sport for money, don't get me wrong and I'm sure I offended someone by saying that, some tourneys probably are great, and I don't clame to know green that good anyhow I know it well though and thats about all I can say, mostly I look at the lake map and it makes my eyes bug out lakes like that are tough to fish and the winners of the tourneys earn it the hard way i'm sure. I could have been in that tourney many times but I'm not big headed like that who knows how I'd place, but basically I avoid the lakes that have tourneys on those days and always chose to fish a differnet lake when the tourney was going on. Its none of you guys that upset me really it actually just a few bad apples that own property out there and have way to much power I do love the lake and maybe I will try the tourney someday even though I probaly would not fair well just being honest i really am not big headed like that I just try to say it as I see it and in this forum I just get my foot in my mouth its all about bad experiences I had through the years on the lake, but they could never over weigh all the fine memories I had. Sorry guys didn't mean to get ya al riled up anyhow. I'll shut up now guys, it was supposed to be all in good funI just can't believe this threads still going. Lakes go through cycles guys and mother nature has a way of taking care of these problems thats exactly why there shouldn't be any special regs on that lake except maybe a slot on the eyes and a few more muskies tossed in the mix maybe theyed eat all them puny perch up that are in them walleyes bellies so they'd get hungry enough to want to bite again. The thing about fishing walleyes is you can't catch one if the smallie is hungrier than the walleye and as we all know a smallie seems to have a bottomless pit for a stomach, and if he's hungrier than the eye hes gonna be the fish caugh nine times out of 10, and ya lose alot of valuable fishing time hauling them smallies in but no complaints here I was actually starting to target them smallies before I moved and it was fun really fun and a walleye was just a bonus ya know good luck on green this season and take care guys I hope something positve comes out of this very long debate I have never seen anything like it before.

Goose, sorry i have not been able to get back sooner.

But working 3 jobs does limit time.

On mille lacs The DNR estimated how many fish where in the,

the year bebore they started. the slot limits.

This was off by millions of fish. Many things come to make things vary the spawn being the biggest. Then it growth time, forage, water temps, and angler harvest.

Had the DNR not been in a arm-lock-toe-hold because of the (place finger in coil trap) treat. Everyone would have better harvests, The tribes would see fish like never before. But since they just worry about how fish are thier going to be able to sell. (Like all other top reporters I have Very close inside source). As of this writing Just try and launch a boat at sunset on mille lacs eastern shores. If your not a tribe person you can't.

Thats right gull night fishing is the key and did you actually defend me? Wow hell did freeze over lol all in good fun maybe you guys are asking the wrong questions and should start a new thread called how to catch a walleye on Green lake in 2005?? Hey serchin for eyes welcome to the club man I'm sorry if I ticked ya off Is it really getting that bad out there? I could give ya alot of tips dude but I'll never claim to be a better fisherman than the next guy its really should be about helpin each other out at this website, and trust me I have learned that the hard way I get my foot in my mouth alot and am currently working on a change of attitude my self time to give something back to the sport I love. Trust me there are some really sweet eyes out there still I have freinds and rellies that fish it alot still.

It must be a sign of the apocolypse..LOL...I even agreed with something Sartell Angler said today!!!

If you're looking for me on Green, just look for the lights going back and forth grin.gif

i fish the tourneys out there but it has nothing to do with the money.i know i am not going to get rich out there! probably the main reason for fishing them is the challenge of catching walleye and a good reason to fish hard for a few days. i have quite a few friends that also fish it so it is always a good time. to bad they don't bite as well during the day like they do at night, but then again, maybe its a good thing. good luck on opener.

Eyehunter, I know what your tell about, as i once fished some tournies. I told some guys a few years back if i fish the norway bass tourny, Just write me the check for first. let everybody else scramble for the left overs. now days the lake has changed with new homes and gps.

As for the spot on green, Maybe ya should tell this hot-shot lake owner $$$$ so i Don't give up the gps on here.

if he whined about you just doing sonar. What's the ($@&)going to do when 60 ice houses show up.

Gullguide, I totally agree with you on fishing.

Ice fishing and open water fish are like 2 different fish.

Walleye are deep in winter. I don't know anyone who has fished for them in lees than 9 ft of water. but come open water 75% of my walleyes are caught in those depths.

I'm not sure what you meant by that jim but don't you dare post the gps cordinates on here that would just be wrong!! I'm glad the delete function of this site is there as I just removed the post as I planned to do in the first place. Anyone with half a brain could figure it out, but it would be kinda funny to see 60 houses on that spot the poor guy probably would have a heart attack!! LOL Lakemaster is great especially for green only remember its off by 25 yards straight west(as i remember) when you head out to fish it. Is there a 1 foot contour map yet for green? I only had the 5 foot which is basically a dnr map but it did save me punching about a thousand holes in the area in fact since I could shoot through with the sonar I only had to drill 2 to be right in the 20 foot hole Didn't take long and what a spot. The guy was off by a little bit but I know from pullin shads through that area it is one of my favorite areas in the lake I refer to the entire area as Bass Alley

Norway bass tournament ya I think I was on solomon that day, the sheepy tourney would be fun, do I know you Jim a guy named jim told me that exact same thing a few years back!

Wow - I started reading this forum and it took me 3 weeks just to catch up. Lots of emotion running wild here. People need to slow down when posting and take things in context and not get so easily offended.

My humble opinion is that each species in this lake needs to be manages independantly. Smallies have done well and I think a different slot could be implemented now. Walleyes could probably also benefit from a different slot. This lake doesn't have to be managed for just one species. Pike are protected and are doing better. Smallies have done well and the slot could be adjusted now. Muskies could do well here also and would obviously need a special slot.

LocalGuide - I'll remember you this summer and between by great rock bass techniques and your appetite for them we can reduce those numbers. :-)

Now if I could just figure out a way to get more muskies in the lake without geting thrown in jail or lynched by the local area walleye fisherman we would have a helluva lake. Rejoice in the opportunites we have around here to fish manjy species on many different lake with many different techniques.

Gull - I'll start another post with some questions from here that I have - hope you resspond.

I suppose my responding to this won't help to kill the thread... darn...

This one wont help either lol, you guys eat rock bass how do they taste? You're right i'm gonna start thinking before I type. blush.gif

Just seen that Green lake is the Number 4 most expensive and sought after "cabin" lake in the state. Yeeeee haaawwwww.

MNorthwoods...

Maybe this year I can target them Rock Bass with a ultralight Rod/Reel and not a 7' med baitcasting rod w/30lb PowerPro. lol I would think they fight good on a ultralight. smirk.gif

Also after I go to college and probably end up fishing muskies, it would be nice to come home and fish them around here too. wink.gif

"The Never Ending Thread of Green Lake." I didn't help! grin.gif

Mnorthwoods< i've posted it before, So I'll tell you.

Musky stocking in green lake in kandiyohi county WILL NOT HAPPEN.......

DNR has thier hands full with the species native to the lake. Thats straight from DNR officals.

How some (Place hand in coniber trap, you'll find a word for here) could go to harriet in mpls drive to green a release them. Only to (trap words here) the whole fish eco system.

Eyehunter, have you been inthe national guard. I was with willmar unit, retired after 28yrs. You may know me.

Lakemaster will only do the current 3Ft. contour that is out. I have both the new mmc card for locators, as well as the cd-rom for my computor. Which will soon be on a new laptop and interfaced with lowrance sonar x104. I can then zoom in closer on the laptop. Lesson from "doc Sampson", thank you doc the class was super.

Lakemaster said "In order to publish green in 1 ft contour the would have to be 6x8 feet just to see the contour lines with big magnafire glass. its just black lines on top of each other. fisherman would gain nothing."

Sounds about right I would also like to interface my global-map 100 to a laptop, so what your saying is don't pay the extra money for the 3ft contours I just have the basic lakemaster with 5 foot contours now. I think it would just simply be valuable to be able to plot my trail on a bigger screen. confused.gif

Eye hunter< I have the lasts lake master cd-rom out.

the gold promap series, green lake is a 3ft contour is been mapped out also more detailed.

Interfacing with a laptop I can zoom in closer than on a sonar unit. but than any map.

Almost feel guitly resurrecting this thread, but I've just read through the gist of posts and sort of felt compelled to comment. (My "qualifications" for doing so certainly don't match those of many of you regulars, though I've fished the lake on and off since the mid 1970s.)

In looking at the most recent DNR survey (August 2003), several revealing items appear to be of note:

(1) Green boasts a gill-net sample of 9.4 walleyes per lift-- the 9 to 10 range is one you'll find in many top walleye lakes, such as Gull Lake in my area. This number speaks of a very healthy walleye population, particularly as Green's population appears to consist of a variety of adult age classes-- both stocked and naturally reproduced. Also, 9.4 is apparently right at the historical average for Green.

One point that does bear mentioning, though-- the young-of-the-year (YOY) net take was very low, relative to historical numbers. Poor natural reproduction recently is apparently the cause, which has also prompted increases in stocking-- supplementing with fry, yearlings and some adults. The YOY issue given, the future is somewhat at issue. However, the current adult walleye population is at levels that should potentially produce excellent fishing. As it's been suggested, the lack of success likely relates to static angling approaches-- not changing tactics as the population shifts prey and locational tendenices.

(2) The smallmouth population, though certainly in tip-top shape in the short-term, appears to be extremely dependent on crayfish as prey. Crayfish are apparently rapidly declining on Green. Given the simultaneous declines in perch, as well as ciscoes, smallmouths may not have such a bright future in Green, regardless of low harvest levels.

(3) Prey specie abundance or scarcity will continue to drive the fishery in a much more compelling capacity than any other factor, such as fishing pressure, or habitat change. It seems clear that the current smallmouth population is having a dramatic effect on prey species. What perhaps isn't clear is whether or not the smallmouths will eventually turn to YOY walleye for its primary prey.

Enough speculation on my part wink.gif . . . It seems clear, however, that smallmouth bass (not walleyes) may require a different regulatory approach. May need to remove some of the smaller bass in order to keep prey species from being depleted. The lake's future walleye AND smallmouth populations likely hinge on this. Meanwhile, walleye fry stocking should certainly continue so long as poor natural recruitment persists.

So, that's my take on the lake-- for whatever it's worth smile.gif.

-a friend called Toad

toad, that's the best post i have seen on this thread.

jigginjim,

thanks for your reply to your previous statement,

"THINK WHAT THE DNR HAVE BEEN DOING TO MILLE LACS AND LOOD WHERE THERE GOT THEM."

i didn't understand any of your response , but thank you none the less.

I think the Mille Lacs fishery is in pretty decent shape right now, compared to 5-10 years ago. I also think some of this has to do with the DNR. Please, try to name another lake with the size and issues that Mille Lacs does (tribal netting, fishing pressure, ect.) that has a "better" all around (SM, walleye, muskie, perch, pike) fishery. I think the DNR has done a pretty good job on ML given all the varialbes. It may have taken a few years, but ML is an awesome fishery right now.

I think Green will also continue to be an awesome lake. The smallies might seem to be king right now, but, i think in time, like ML, both SM AND walleyes will thrive.

I think we need to quit complaining about the DNR, and start supporting them more! Us "airchair" biologists sound smart to each other, but they (the DNR) are the one's that are the "experts" (as much as they can.) Give them some credit for the work they do. I'd hate to see the overall state of our fisheries if it weren't for them.

later,

goose

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the DNR 2006 proposed regulations for Green Lake:

1) WALLEYE; Possession limit of three, you can keep one

greater than 20".

2) SMALLMOUTH BASS; Statewide season. Possession limit of six. Immediate release of all fish betwean 18-21". One fish

over 21".

3) Northern Pike; Possession limit of three. Immediate release of all fish betwean 24-36". You can keep one fish over 36".

We should be able to hit 300 with this.

Why did you have to go and resurect this tongue.gif

But thanks for the info, most of the smallies fit in that slot anyways!!!

LOL

i also think these regs. will be fine. a person may have to fish for a little while to get your 6 smallies since the slot limit is right where the bigger part of the population is but we should still be able to get 6 a day. i hope this helps the walleyes get their traditional feeding areas back.

Cool I dont mind it!

I like the chance for a trophy fish in the lake now. Either walleye, smallies, or pike.

Just kind of curious, what does a possession/size limit like that do to the walleye tournaments on green? Not a big deal, just wondering. I would assume it wouldnt change much, but I dont know.

And would that bring in any smallie tournaments?

localguide, that slot will definately make it interesting for the tourneys on green, weighing only 2 fish over 20" (2 guys)will not effect the majority but there is always 6-10 boats that get into a pile of 20"+ fish. those will be hard to let go during a tourney but you just have to remember everyone has to follow the same regs, it might even make it more fun!

also the new reg of no culling allowed. see page 17.

2005 booklet

Sounds like good regs. for green to me, bring them on.Something sure needs to change.