• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Green Lake Forum

You're wrong Jim,

Or maybe you diddnt read it correctly.

It says once your LIMIT is in posession you may not cull.

So if I had 5 bass in my livewell, I can continue to Cull the biggest fish until I have 6 in the well. Then I'd have to stop.

But, in most tourney situations, you cannot weigh a real 2 person limit so the cull law would not come into effect anyway.

This law just stops Joe Schmoe from going out, catching 6 walleye and then continually picks out the smallest one and puts a bigger one in the well. Good law as far as I'm concerned.

But hey, no one can catch walleye any more on Green so the point is moot grin.gif LOL

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• castindad

• GullGuide

• LocalGuide

• jigginjim

has anyone caught any big northerns on green yet this season?

• 8 months later...

Reading through these for the last couple hours has been very entertaining and almost laughable. Although I must say that Toad had a really good post. I grew up on Green Lake and whould challenge anyone when it comes to knowing the lake. The main reason the walleyes are tougher to catch is becuase the smallmouth population has increased. This does not mean the walleye numbers are way down, it does means that the walleyes have shifted and moved out of there classic spots and patterns becuase they can no longer compete feeding with the smallmouth along side of them. I laugh at the people that think lifting the regs on smallies is going to hurt the bass fishing and improve the walleye population, in my eyes they are dead wrong. I believe the smallmouth bass fishing in Green peaked out about 4 years ago, you just don't see those true 20+ inch fish in numbers like you use to. I know that the over population of smallmouths have stunted there growth due to lower numbers of there prey, crayfish, ect. The way to maybe rebuilding the healthy population that once was there would be lifting the band which they did. Which really doesn't do much becuase very few people will keep bass anymore, but weeding out a few from individuals that still keep or a few that die

due to bass tournaments will be a good thing. Which is my greatest point to make, none of you walleye fishermen were thinking at all when you wanted these regs lifted. Well, welcome to the world of bass tournaments boys. Every other weekend all summer long get ready for bass boats buzzing by you at 70mph where ever your at on the lake. Why has bass fishing become so popluar, it's becuase there's alot of bass in the lakes in Minnesota, and why is there alot of bass in the lakes of Minnesota, it's becuase we practice what you would call catch and release. The reason the walleye population in Green is where it's at is maily due to this with out a dought. Just look what happened to the smallies in Green Lake due to the regs. Look what has happened on Red Lake for walleyes due to the regs. Except a lake doesn't need regs it needs fishermen to understand that if they practice catch and release on there target species in most lakes the fish will do just fine. The smallmouths in Green are only going to get stronger and healthier, the numbers might drop a little, but I dought it. Good luck to everyone walleye fishermen and the bass guys. Green lake is still a gem for both walleyes and bass, if you are going to catch walleyes today you better adjust to them like they have had to with the smallies.

what is the dnr doing other than lifting the special regs? anything at all? would like to know kandyohi angler castindad

has th dnr done anything but drop the special regs on green lake ? anything at all? would like to know? or are they just studing the situation? kandyohi angler castindad

Smallmouth are non-native fish. They were first intoduced into MN lake and rivers in the 1800's.

ghostzapper, You hit it just right now. I have a few guys in the twin cities already asking about guide trips this summer. The bass boys will be running the lake hard. No more quiet walleye fishing with these 200+ hp motors flying around the lake. I hear one tournement may run 100+ boats. I think the most boats in any walleye toury has only been 70 or so boats. Many of those were your standard 17 ft with 60 to 90hp motors. Now lets see what 150 bass boats most of them running 200hp sounds like. Does indy 500 come to mind?

If not you should go big stone in may when the walleye trail hits there. And thats mild.

jigging jim does the dnr regulate the amt of boats that may fish a tourney by the size of the lake in acres and isnt there a state wide soeed limit? minetonka has one slow zones ect green has no breakers of any kind to off set the waves hitting the shore the wakes these big motos create will be a bad thing maybe? castindad

castindad, Yes the DNR can limit the number of boats a tournement may have. This is set when permit is given out.

There is a state wide speed limit on the lakes. It's easier to enforce on lakes like tonka caused by bays. If you go to mille lacs and watch those guys. I can tell you all are going over if thier boats will go that fast.

Normally the first 100 ft from shore you would consider as no wake-zone. But here you have guys fishing docks decide they hit the best ones and then blast off to a new set of docks. It all goes down to rules of the tournement, and the ethics of the guys fishing.

I helped on several tournements on minnetonka. If you were caught speeding your catch for that day was DQ'd. If anybody thinks they have the hot hole of smallies, you may want to keep it under your hat, and enter these tournements.

An excellent article on smallmouth is found in the December 2005 issue of In-Fisherman. The article suggests smallmouth are expanding their range and increasing their populations due to global climate change. Average water temperatures are increasing, to the benefit of smallmouth and possible detriment of walleyes. The conclusions are backed by scientific studies. I found the article quite interesting and would recommend it. It might offer a suggestion, at least partially, as to what is happening on Green Lake. Does anyone have good records on the average water temperatures of Green Lake over the last 10-20 years? Has the average temp been going up or not?

I would not think the water temp on green lake has gone up that much. But the water clariy has, several year ago the weedline would be around 16-20ft, now you can find weedlines down to 26ft. The water is not getting dirtier it's getting cleaner. The same has happen to norway lake where my parents live. They say lake dirtier because there are more weed in front of the dock. I told them the lake is cleaner now, the sunlight just could reach the bottom to help the weeds grow.

Tournaments on Green this summer already set are:

Silverado Pro Am June 10th, that will be 50 boats

Anglers Choice July 15th, about 20-30 boats

Midwest Sportsman 1 July 22nd, 10-15 boats

Anglers Elite Pro Am TOC August 25th, 26th 40 boats

Those are the ones already finalized

i believe the dnr in spicer my have these records but may be difficult to get and may even be a cost for state services castindad

70 mph bass boats here we come! I wonder how many boat/jet ski accidents will occur on Green this year?

anybody hear how the fishing contest went last weekend??

happened to go thru spicer sat. p.m. and it looked like a pretty good turnout.

A .13oz perch won it...

I caught a .03oz and a 2" perch that would of won smallest fish! lol

It was a good time and something to get the kids on the ice.