• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well guys, How long until the ice is away from the shoreline??? Any good guesses? I was going to drive down Sat. Morning, but I may wait until the weather takes its toll on the ice! How does it look down by the Sucker/ Bluebird?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Quickstrike

• BD110

• Northlander

• matthothand

Anyone been up the shore recently and can report on conditions?

Be careful if you are heading to the French intent on looper fishing through the ice. The offshore shelf is getting pushed underneath the onshore shelf and sliding under it. The ice is fragmented all along the shore except for one area on the south side of the mouth. Even that spot is covered in 10" of water. I took a crack at it yesterday morning and then in the evening. At about 0700 a 10" crack opened up parallel to the shoreline and just happened to split the hole I'd cut in half...I moved fairly quickly on that one. In the evening all I can say is I managed to stay on top of the ice. It is more than I can say for three guys that I saw go through. I saw quite a few fish below the ice in the morning and a few in the evening. Not too many caught though.

Lota Lota...

• 2 weeks later...

Was out yestday, all I can say is slow. Seen one guy out there in some kind mini pontoon casting haredware and caught 2 and lost one, and seen another guy get one on a looper bug and bobber. Beautiful day to be out though grin.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Kettle
      Went out yesterday with the sunshine. I did find crappies in the shallows on a darker stained lake with Temps at 58 degrees. They had no interest in my baits
    • gimruis
      That's part of it.  Several recent years of drought have definitely played a role.   There's other factors too.  MN does not allow importation of live bait from other states either.  That really affects the amount of golden shiners available, most of which are not trapped here.  In other words, demand exceeds supply.   Lots of bait trappers and dealers have simply hung it up in recent years.  Its hard work for not much money.  The two nearest me are both done as of last October.  They both told me its just not worth it anymore.  One of them had been there for 45 years.   My advice would be to learn how to effectively fish with artificial lures more often.  I've slowly weened myself off the use of live bait nowadays.
    • smurfy
    • leech~~
      Think the Free crawlers in the back yard are going to take a hit this summer! 🤭
    • jim curlee
      Correction, rainbow minnows are at least 75 cents each, and leeches are $60 per pound. lol 
    • leech~~
      Their coming! Was poking around southern center mn last Friday and found about 20 on a hill side, all to small to pick yet.  Spots on the GPS! 🤗
    • Kettle
      Water Temps 48-52. I tried for crappies and caught two walleye. I can't even crappie fish. 1/32 ounce jig and a tiny minnow
    • Wanderer
      Looks like you could use a FM hat. 😉    The future son in law prefers the lump coal.  He’ll start it in coal starter over a propane burner, then dump in it his smoker grill as needed.   Congrats on the clean break “over there”.
    • leech~~
      Should really start a What yeah Smoking thread!    Another fun place we tried when up in Duluth. OMC stands for "Oink, Moo, Cluck" They serve pork cracklins for starter to test their sauces on.    
    • Hookmaster
      On the east side of St. Boni. It's not too far from me. A friend lives in St Boni and loves the place. I haven't tried it yet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.