• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Drove from Duluth to Bluebird today. There was ice everywhere so could not put a line out at all. Maybe the wind will switch and will have better luck in the next few days.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Quickstrike

• BD110

• Northlander

• matthothand

Checked the French and down on my way home about 20 minutes ago. Th French was doable if you got away from the mouth, anywhere southwest was pretty much locked up.

It's another late night/early morning for me again, but a friend wanted to experience looper fishing this approaching friday morning. How could I say, "no"? None of us were born 'looper fisherman'. We had to learn. So we'll be the 'odd couple' on the shore if anyone wants to chat. French sounds to be looking best since ice is showing up everywhere else along the shore. We'll see how the morning turns out.

matthothand

Looks like I will see you out there. haven't been out for a morning bite yet thought it might be worht the try. Whats everyone been using for presentation. I been sticking with the Looper jigs, and Mallow waxie combo. Anything change in the presentation. Does anyone know at what temp they really "turn on" and start coming in full force?

Timbow

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Tim Bow, as we get closer to May things get better. As for temps now, nights above freezing and days in the 40's helps. Throw in a light east wind with clouds and I don't think it gets better. Mornings are usually best but when the bites on it can be good all day. I like fishing evenings when we've had a cold night followed by a good warming day. The Looper Bugs, spawn and waxie/marshie work but you should have a crawler out there either inflated, corkied or with a marshie. I think it'll be a good morning. Good Luck

matthothand

Dude how did you do? Brian and I called it quits at 9am. Lotta surface action, but not bites. Went top and bottom, and all I got was a great blanket of snow.

To all the rest thismorning was uneventful. Hoping the ICE was going to move out, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Its thick enough where rocks won't go through yet thin enough that you will. Fish looked active but they were either out of casting range or I have absolutely no clue what they were going after. There is 100 yards of ice at the Lester and I actually saw a guy pull up a portable and auger and started fishing. The French has about 15 feet of crap before open water. Don't know how long its gonna stay but I hope the weather ma is wrong otherwise its gonna be there awhile. Oh well there is always tomorrow.

AND THATS THE WEATHER FOLKS.

Timbow

Today, the word of the day is 'ice'. The Lester is piled up with ice and on my back home there was a brave soul dragging a shack out on the hard water. Stoney and Bluebird...iced up. A very determined few found spots around the French to get lines out. How they (we) planned to land a fish is beyond me. Figured it would make for a good story on the next outing if my partner or I successfully skipped a fish across the jagged ice with 6lb line. The ultimate goal was to wet a line and entice a bite. So we fished. We were treated to calm water and my partner (first timer) began to form an understanding of the love/hate relationship between man and looper. Though we had no hook ups and didn't see anybody else set into any fish there were plenty around. Fish were surfacing all morning but changing winds and a large sheet of ice ended our day a little sooner than we had planned. Maybe the ice will move out or, better yet, leave. Until that happens I guess it would be a good time to start sorting tackle and gear for later excursions (May 14th). I suppose I could grab the shovel too.

yeah, timbow, i'm kent, I thought you looked familiar. anyways, you'll have mail shortly.

I haven't gone scouting up the shore for a few days now. Has there been any change in the ice or are we still stuck sorting tackle? There hasn't been any new posts so I'm assuming I'll have some quality bonding time with my scattered and poorly organized walleye gear.

I was there this morning to find that most of the ice they were fishing on to be gone! Such a let down...I was looking forward to staring down a hole. Maybe next time!

I am going to shoot for getting out wednesday. Will be sure to give a report.

this morning it looked like the whole shore was clear of ice, might get out tommorrow sometime if i can get everything on my to-do list done.

Lester is open. I'm guessing (hoping) further up the shore the ice has faded as well, but that's the only place I scoped out. Though I won't be out til Friday, I figured I'd contribute that bit anyways.

Thanks for the ice reports.

Since I'm too broke to renew my license and stamp until Friday I decided today was a good day to run a few miles and drop by the Lester see what was happening. It's a beautiful day and it was torture seeing everyone else with wet lines and me with... well, wet running shoes. Just curious if anybody I chatted with this morning uses this site. I was the 'nosy jogger'. Most of the fish coming off of crawlers or waxies for everyone? I blew a circuit the other night and lost everything in my freezer, including hundreds of precious spawn bags. I'm down to maybe a dozen decent bags which, fortunately, are from a hefty brown, but those are being saved for a later date. So, at any rate, unless I go for the ICO spawn I'm limited to crawlers and waxies. Just wondering what's hooking more fish for everyone.

Can someone who has been up the shore recently please give an ice report? Thanks, Andy.

French was open 'bout 20 minutes ago otherwise its froze up all the way to gooseberry.

Im coming up there friday, whats the chances the french will be free of ice?

Supposed to be winds out of the west 5-15mph. should blow some of it out.

Cheffrey we need Northeasters to keep that ice in on Wi. Point. Im heading out tomorrow after work.

Jeez, Steve don't be so greedy there are some people that are into shorecasting! smirk.gif

Not being greedy. You know how much I look forward to this bite though. Maybe we can all fish both places at the same time.

I may be out there tomorrow afternoon, if so I'll give an ice report. Winds are out of the SW and I don't think they'll be switching from the west all weekend so it should be a go. With the nights being on the mild side and the days warming into the 30s I think its going to be decent bite.

I was up at the French dark and early. There's still some ice along the shore but maybe that'll disappear throughout the day. A big sheet moved in and pinched my spot so I stopped by the Lester on the way home and it was pretty much the same story there. The ice that moved in at Lester was in the process of breaking up and with the warmer weather will hopefully disappear as well. I didn't see anyone hook up. Looked like it shoulda been a decent bite going today. Maybe the afternoon will 'heat up'.