• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

River smallie data. Are there really any 6+pounds?

Mark Christianson

Wow - I can't believe I've remained silent for this long... Maybe it's the advanced stages of the bass shakes. You guys crack me up! I'd be willing to get in on that bet/challenge but I've already broke the 20'' mark grin.giftongue.gif Saturday is suppose to be a balmy 32 degrees - maybe I should get out wading around Monti... HAHA. I'm just content right now watching BassCenter on Saturdays and cruising the sales at Gander & Galyans.

As for the original topic - a 6lber from the river?? That might be a tough mark to touch. You'll have to break a 21+ incher to bust over 5lbs and those of us who fish the river know how few and far between those can be. I think the best chance to catch a fish that size would have to be at around mid summer (July/August) or late late late fall (November-ish). Still, I'll take anything over 16inches on the river - what a blast!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Royce Aardahl

• Mark Christianson

• smallie_hawgin

• BigMike

Yer right mike, you can't get in on the battle cuz you are part of the elite group who have made the 20 inch milestone. And it's ok that you all remind blb and me once a week or so. I think I'll put you all in the dirty dog catagory wink.gif I won't fish as hard this summer as last but still should get out plenty. Now if a guy were to nail a 23 or 24 incher from the mighty mississippi river I think that would be an awesome fish and here's an idea. First 24 (maybe 23) incher caught by someone in this group gets a replica made with the others paying the bill. Don't know if it would ever happen but man would it be cool. If we had 8 or so in the contest the cost would be low if it ever did happen. What do you guys think?

The way KT measures, I think I am out of that contest eyeguy. cool.gif

Honestly, I wouldn't put money up to anything that requires no proof. Not saying people are dishonest, but people are dishonest.

I'd say if you catch a 24 incher, keep it for proof and stuff it. The thing is gonna die the next day anyway cuz its so darn old. wink.gif

Sure is good to be talking bassin. Thats for sure!

HAHA a 24incher - never! Except the one I caught last year, oh wait that was only a 4incher... how did that 2 get in there! Good times. When I caught that mini bass Hawgtide and I almost fell in the water laughing so hard! A 3 inch bass hit a 2.5inch crank, go figure!

Ah...to be bass fishing right now!

I'll tell ya what. If a member of our Mississippi North Forum Catches, Photos, Measures, and Releases a 22 incher, this up comming season, RiverPro will proudly foot the bill for the replica.

Hey BLB, The way KT measures? I'm not quite sure I understand your statement. Please elaborate....KT

Just jokin KT. Hence the smiley face.

I pulled a name out of a hat to heckle with that statement.

I can change the heckle to the way BigMike measures though.

No harm, no foul at all.

(Tone is impossible to read in text. Sorry if I confused)

Your dead on about tone...I mean't no negativity, I was woundering who told you I squashed my fish flat when I measured. wink.gif

now I know how you guys get all those 20's. grin.gif If BM stands on one I'll bet it would be a 30 incher shocked.gif JK dude! That's a mighty fine offer there kevin! Starting on the bass opener till november 1st or something like that? I may have to fish more than I was thinkin. Got a couple new spots in mind for this season that I heard a couple tales about. Maybe I can catch that 21 1/2 incher Steve got in 2003. She might be 22 by now. That spot never did produce a big one last summer. She musta been down stream getting fat eating crayfish.

Hey now, I'm not that "big", just a nickname... grin.gif. I'll be up for hunting a 22incher, doubt it will happen but it would be nice to see some of those supposed monster smallies that everyone catches.

Speaking of this coming year - probably in a month or two I'll be working on planning this summer's FM Smallie Magnet Events. I can already smell the victory (no I'm not talking about BLB's mishap in the woods)! LOL tongue.gif

Only 2 posts away from the 1K marker! Yippee!

You guysa are crackin me up!! I dunno guys this is gettin' to be too much like an old time tv or radio show or something. ooo.gif It's like watching Larry, Moe, Curly and Shemp do their routine!! shocked.gif Now all I have to figure out who is whom. Lets see..... BLB fits the profile for shempshoward8dy.jpg, eyeguy for Larrylfine0hw.jpg, and oh yeah BM for Moemhoward0me.jpg, KT ... Curlychoward5yq.jpg. Just joking, don't worry. IT is too funny.

KT nice offer on the replica mount. I might have to actually try for the big-un this year..... wink.gif

And smallie hoggin as Shirley Temple...

temple502vq.jpg

Oh I forgot about one little detail from a few months ago...... Hee, heee grin.gifblb7aa.jpg

Wow - I'm still laughing laugh.gif!!! BLB what'cha got missin' there - HAHAHA! Too funny!

I can't believe my 1000th post was in response to that, I thought I was going to be able to post some commerative, life changing, 1000th post with all that you need to know about fishing the 'sippi and it's all boiled down to this... LOL! Hey, but that is what fishing is about: Good Times and Big Fish!

Speaking of big fish, whoever catches the big 22incher gets the replica from KT and the replica can stand as the lifetime Smallie Magnet Champion Trophy!

last fall I was putting in at Montissippi and this guy was putting in a little Jon boat with his bucket of minnows. I struck up a conversation with him and he said the last time he was out there, a couple of years ago, they (3 of them) caught 3 Bass at a time and the smallest was 6lbs. I dang near choked to death trying not to laugh in his face.

KT, that's very generous of you. Go ahead and have my name inscribed, cause it's coming my way! cool.gif BM, no way am I giving up my 22" to anyone! tongue.gif

Yeah, we fisherman, or should I say some fisherman have a little misconception on the size and quantity of certain things. smirk.gif I can't tell you the number of times I have heard stories of trophy fish.... state record fish, 28 inch Largemouths from local lakes, etc. etc. It truly amazes me at times.

HT,

Get some new rulers in that boat dang it. I know that one I got last summer was over 20, but those dang rulers you have must be old and stretched out or something.

SH,

I now see what my modified photo is showing. Cripes.

Better watch out for the swinging handles next year yourself. Wooohahahaha. tongue.gif

On a side note its supposed to be 30 degrees on Sat. and Im heading to Montissippi if any one wants to meet me out there from what I see the plant is discharging right now (she's steaming in Elk River with no Ice so it could be a fun trip!! might get my 22"er so KT get ready!.....

It is hilarious to listen to the stories of other fishermen of multiple 6+ pounders and over 23" and that kinda stuff sometimes I feel like calling them on there bs!

I do have one story though that is hilarious.... me and my son were fishing off by Kadler this summer and I was talking to this guy when a decent fisdh takes off with my senko when I got him in it was about a 16 incher not a hawg but a nice fish... when I pulled it out of the water the guy go's holy ____ what is that a 5 pounder? and I turned and looked at him and said it would have to have a 2.5 lb weight in its belly to be that heavy, and he took out a digital scale and it weighed 2.35 pounds... I think people get caught up in the fight they give up and cant believe a 2.5 lb fish can rip drag, and jump that high.... cause if you go off the fight they give you some of those 15 16 inchers feel like there 6+ pounds when they are fighting! thats just my .02 cents though

Smallies do fight hard - that's why I love'em, but current adds a few pounds too...

Doubt that I'll be fishing this weekend RR. Wish I could. I went wading one morning this fall up at Monti and it was in the low 40's in the morning and I was numb after about 2 hrs. Everything from waist down was numb - NOT GOOD! LOL. I can only imagine right now how cold the river is (not to mention air temp) even if the plant IS discharging! Would be fun to try though...

I hope I hafta dig deep for several replicas, nothing would be finer...well I hope one person doesn't catch 'em all.

On a side note: I was at River Terrace Park last week. The river was open and lookin' good!

I drive over the river 5 to 10 times a day. Sure makes me wish it was 70 outside! Gotta go after something through the ice again this weekend somewhere.

Yeah - he was probably out fishing - that turd! LOL. J/K KT grin.gif. If the river is open, how about we have a Polar River Smallie Magnet Event? LOL! First annual...

Sounds Crazy.... BUt then again, I have been accused... or was that acquited?? Anyway I would be up for it.... I think. My only problem is there is this thing called hockey that has a tendency to be almost every Saturday and Sunday for my son, wife and myself. Being as I coach 1 teamm, assistant coach another and play on another..... Leaves me withe Jan 16th between 10 and 330 open. frown.gif

Hey, I'm not the one with the signature line: "Hunt, eat, fish, sleep...". So you're saying you'll be there right? wink.gif J/K.

I give them a good workout in the summer and I would expect the local smallies to want to vacation for the winter but not these brutes! They are in the slow current now lifting wieghts and working out on the treadmill getting ready for this coming season. Some of course had to spend some time at the dentist office and the real hard fighters are still at the plastic surgeons doing jaw reconstruction. I saw this one jump yesturday when I drove over the sartell bridge. He looks almost ready!

fishtroisquartjpg151e4220f73e0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In the 30+ years I have fished the river areas around the twin cities, I have dedicated my life to fishing smallmoth bass whenever possible. I have heard many fishermen lay claim to catching smallies over 22 inches long. I have come to the conclusion that 99% of thir claims are unverifiable. No pictures, mounts, or medals of honor were ever recovered from these claims. Only 1% were believable. So, 1 in 100 stories are true and to be believed. I have personally only seen 3 fish this size in those 30+ years, and I still don't believe it. Those fish were never photographed, mounted, or even giving out thank you's when they were released!