• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MINNETONKA

WALTERCRAFT

Since the rain last week, is driving on Wayzata Bay or Browns Bay any more dangerous? I'm planning on heading our Friday morning..

Thanks

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EBass

• dsludge

• markkstanley

• Ice9

I can't speak for the ice around Wayzata or Browns, but the access at Spring Park is broken up pretty good. There is about 3-4' of open water before you can get on the ice again. I'm sure it'll glaze over, but I wouldn't try it from here on out.

Brown's bay access is in good shape, and seems to have made a little ice over the past few days. Maybe that's on top and not on the bottom...some ruts and crunching in the first few feet but smooth, real smooth. Get out your grippers.

Grays bay does not have a good walleye rep but I caught my first tonka walleye there in October, so there are a few. Most of the people walleye fishing on the east end of the lake focus on Wayzata Bay. Better hurry up.

ice

I drove out on Wayzata Bay this afternoon from the dirt road access by the Wayzata Bay Yacht Club. No open water, some soft ice on top that would crack as I would drive out. I fished from 4 pm until 7 pm and only had 2 small perch and a 2 1/2 pound northern to show for it. I will be out same time Friday looking for some Walleyes!! I caught a beautiful 19 incher right after sunset in 16 feet of water on a fathead last Friday night.

I'll be out tonight. I don't think I'll be out in the AM though Sat unless I stay out overnight. I'll likely be on Cooks Bay then on Sat. I want to put the big tip-up out with a big sucker on a big-fish spot. I'd be up for some snooping around then on Sat AM. My nephew usually comes out with me on Saturday.

I have not fished on Wayzata Bay yet this year. I like the west side. Sunday, ...???

Come over and show me those giant waxies you use for walleyes on Saturday. Send me an email if you want at the address in my profile listed as my "occupation".

dsludge

I made it out yesterday afternoon to dusk on the west side. I got a 3lb pike on my tipup with shiner right away in 10 feet with milfoil topping out at 5 feet. I set my shiner just above the weeds.

I was out in 17 feet wasting time trying to catch perch with glow jigging spoon and waxie. Sure enough a 5-6lb pike slams it then comes off. I drop it back down and it slams it again. When I grabbed it under the gill plate my finger met with a nice tooth. Oh well it was a real fun battle on 4lb test. I saw some other real nice marks on the FL-18 (bigger mark than that 5-6lb pike) but nothing was interested once darkness set in. And I tried minnow heads and tails and whole minnow to. I'm not just waxie bound - lol

dsludge, looks like I'll be on the west end on Sat AM with Tonka Boy and friends. Sunday is still open though for the whole day and night. I'll shoot you an email and give you my cell#.

Crappie action has faded, at least for me...may go walleying again on Sunday am and pm. Where are you guys going to be?

ice

Was out today on Wayzata Bay, I got a question, where are all the big perch? Caught about 100 or so that were all under 7 inches. Had a couple of small gills also.

Cubbies

Went out and met ebass and mark this morning. Our first spot produced nothing. At 10am we moved to spot #2 which has produced 4 nice norts over the last two weekends and a few small one. A couple smaller ones came out of the ice and I caught a nice fat one around 32". That was great to walk over to the tip up see the reel spinning like crazy. Mark, as soon as you were pulling away we had 3 or 4 flags go in a matter of 10 minutes, all on the point. Only one fish came out of the 3 but it was a decent one. The other guys were using shiners and I was using frozen cisco in about 6'.

2 of us went out to tonka this afternoon for some last weekend Nort action. By sunset we had 12 flags go up - in about 2.5 hours. Missed quite a few (by me) and the ones we landed werent real big - but my friend had also went out that morning and iced a 6 and an 8 pound Nort - so the action was much better than our previous days -which havent been so hot. All our fish are put right back - we are just hoping to try and ice one that is double digits before the season ends. Tomorrow is the last chance!

Gus and I made it out yesterday for the first time in over a week. Crappies seemed to have moved in a bit shallower as we found them in 15-20 ft, near the weeds. Had a few tip ups out during the day, 2 flags, 2 pike, 2 lbs. Night bite was good, landing a few fish in the 10" range, and Gus landed one around 11".

Trouthunter and I fished Tonka again today (Sunday). Larger crappies seem to be in towards the weed edges or just outside. Still a lot of smaller crappies over the holes. We hit the tipup's harder than normal today because it's the last chance. Landed 8 pike today with the largest going maybe 5 lbs. Mostly smaller pike. Nice way to close out the big fish season though. C&R all fish.

Yup Mark you missed it, and so did you Brent and Matt. What happeneed to Matt anyways? After you guys left we still caught many pike. I caught 5 myself with 2 pushing the 6lb mark then a 5lb and a 4lb and a wee little one right before dusk. Also caught some perch to.

So Rob, Lance and I go there again on Sunday and again a lot of action and all of us caught and released a nice 5-6lb pike and smaller ones to. We ran out of minnows! It was a very nice way of ending the pike and walleye season. We kept 3 small pike to give to Rob's mom. One we had to keep so we made it worth her effort to clean em.

Tip-ups 5-17fow shiner minnows.

I was happy with the 32" on saturday so dont think I missed too much. Matt did to much partying friday night. Phil and I hit med yesterday. Phil wanted to catch crops. After that we didnt get on anything but perch. What are your plans for the week.

We had a going away party for my bro-in-law. He leaves for his 2nd tour in Iraq some time in the first week of March. I'm guessing he'll have some memories to last the entire trip (or maybe not confused.gif)!! It was a good time...

Why do the fish always bite better where ever I'm not?? Or in this case as so as I left?? Talked with some other guys and it seems the pike were biting everywhere last weekend. Going to be hard to go after crappies after seeing Moby's fish.

You drove about 50 feet then the flags went POP, POP, POP. I think it was the same fish, but really weird to see. Fun though. Rob caught it and it was a 3lber or something. I can't believe it's over.