• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MINNETONKA

WALTERCRAFT

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EBass

• dsludge

• markkstanley

• Ice9

Hardscrabble-Cedar point sounds fine by me. I've never fished that area, but have looked at it on my Lakemaster map. As long as the snow doesn't blow off the lake, there should be a little snow to bank the shelter in a little.

I've taken my 3 year old son out two times this year. All he talks about is catching a big muskie. The first time out I threw the camera down the hole and we watched a big muskie come right up to it. He then said, "I want to see a shark now." Last time out we actually fished for a whopping 30 minutes. He started talking to the bobber. Bobber go down. Bobber go down.

Neighbor - mums the word on your secret honey holes. I want to explore some new spots. I found out that my daughter has a swim meet on both Sat/Sun. I think I will do the Sat. bit at the swim meet and then watch the vikes and then head out on the ice for the evening bite. Does anyone else want to get together and target a spot? cool.gif

Snag: I think Hardscrable or Ceder would be great. Let me know if your on.

Sang: I will try to be there at 3 pm. Or earler if the Vikes are stinking it up. I drive a dark blue Dodge Dakota with a toper. Anyone else want to join us??

I'm going to make it, I hope...but I don't know where to start from. I always go on from the Wayzata area. Somebody give me directions from 15 by Wayzata.

Ice

Take 15 West from 394. Go all the way until Mound. At the intersection of 15 and 110 (Commerce) go left about 1/2 mile. You will come to Mound bay park. There is a ramp where you can drive out. Hardscrabble point is stright out from the access. Kirbys bait is next to the park by Mahogany boat works.

im new to ice fishing on minnetonka been out alot in the summer was just wondering if it is safe to drive under the bridges?

NO NO NO NO NO NO, well, sometimes people do. Usually, after a low water year, crossings are made with the passenger side on the narrow strip of rocky shoreline and driver side over shallow ice.

There is often open water under the bridges over which fun-loving snowmobilers drive at maximum speed.

It is best that you do not drive underneath the bridges, we'd hate to have to pull you out when we could be fishing - jk grin.gif. Besides, we'd rather you stick around awhile longer.

THE ICE IS NEVER SAFE.

dsludge

Mike,

Fish muskies? If so, how would you compare the 2004 bite to the previous 3 years? Just curious.

Dave

Duffer: Never Ever drive under bridges, or through channels on Lake Minnetonka! There is always current and the ice is thin. You might make it, and you might not.

Dsludge: I am a multi-species fisherman but I have been spending more and more time with the muskies on Tonka. I have to say that last year was the best year that I have had and I heard of many others having a great year as well. Will you be joining us at Hardscrabble?

I had my slowest year ever for muskies, but all but one were legal or better. I am trying to break the 50 inch barrier - 49" in 2002 was the closest. It's been my best year ever for icing the walleyes though, so I can't complain.

I've had some success south of Hardscrabble in the winter with "Walter", but haven't hit the area for a couple of years. I like ice-fishing the west side of Minnetonka, darker water, early bite. After there is 2 feet of ice, I fish less for 'eyes and more for pannies. Maybe I'll see you out there; depends on the barometer.

Do you have a son who plays football in Mound?

dsludge

dsludge: I have three kids. Two girls and a boy (7,12 & 14) Must be another Mason in town.

In the picture with your posts appears a fellow who looks like the father of one of my nephew's schoolmates. Plenty of Masons around - great folks! My best friend is one of the Mason brothers.

Sunday the Vikings are playing a football game, I think; maybe I'll watch it on Hardscrabble, it's cold!!!

dsludge

P.S. Fun activity for kids when its 10 below or less: boil water, put 1/2 cup in a mug, go outside and throw it into the air - poof, and it disappears, nothing hits the ground. Sometimes it works best to microwave the water in the mug and use 1/3 cup of water.

Dsludge:

Thanks for the trick with the water. It's 13 below right now and I just took the girls out in the backyard and tried it. The hot water turns in to an instant puff of smoke/steam. Pretty cool!

Hello, I am new to forum . i have fished metro and area lakes for years. When out fishing it is great to meet new people that enjoy the sport. Wouldnt mind joining a group to fish and BS with.

I plan on being out at Hardscrable point Sunday afternoon as soon as the Vikings game is over. I plan on fishing the drop on the north side. Anyone want to join me come on out. I will be driving a 2001 dark blue Dodge Dakota. I will be fishing in a black and yellow Polor-sport fish-house, and will be wearing the blue ice-armor suit. Come on out and join me in trying to find a walleye or two. It will be cold, but what the hell, were ice-fishermen!

Ice9.....GREAT STORY!! Well written! That's sounds just like me with the kids -the big fish frown.gif

That what it's all about....family bonding time. You should see what a full can of Mello Yello looks like on the Vexilar!

Say I'm new to that end of tonka in the winter. with the regional park blocked off, is there any drive on point south of Hardscrabble point? I was thinking of heading out this afternoon to Eagle island / Smithtown bay area for some eyes. After -20 it just dosent matter.

REAL NICE POST ICE9, FUN TO READ AND SHOW TO FRIENDS. CONGRATS ON THE FISH. I'D MEET YOU FELLAS OUT THERE SUNDAY , BUT I'VE GOT FUNCTIONS SO DEEP I CAN'T SEE DAYLIGHT.

MAYBE NEXT WKND. LEAVE A COUPLE FOR ME!

WALT.

Either Spring Park or Spring Park unless you want to take a chance driving thru HArdscrabble point area from Mound. I have driven all the way from Spring Park to Eagle/Crane several times - plenty of ice.

Either Spring Park or Spring Park? smile.gif Last weekend we fished the Crane/Eagle area and we parked in Phelp's and walked out. I saw quite a few trucks driving around there that looked like they were coming from Cook's. We had a good 17-18" where we were if I remember right. Is there a bad area by Hardscrabble? I will not be walking out anywhere this weekend with this weather. I'm hoping to meet up with you guys on Sunday. I will post back when I know for sure.

The Hardscrabble area always has a few pressure ridges - I'll follow someone else but I'll never be the first to drive thru there. I use Spring Park - gives me the option of fishing for walleyes around the islands and then stopping for a little crappie fishing on the way back around Goose Island.

All the pressure ridges are south of Hardscrabble. You can drive on at the boat launch next to Mound Bay Park. This is on the north end of Cooks Bay. Kirbys bait is next to the access. It is a stright drive out from the access about 1/2 mile. Do not try to drive from Spring Park access. It would not make any sense.

Hecker: I know of a few access points on tonka south of Hardscrabble and a few from other directions. It all depends on your load and axle height. Your best bet is to stop for bait at Kirby's and ask if anyone has seen Suburbans driving over the point. There is a lot of current on either end of the lake and THE ICE IS NEVER SAFE! I also agree that it's best not to be the first to "go through".

dsludge

Thanks will do

I was running late. So I just ran up to Halsteads bay. I got to my spot, pulled out the Auger and on the first pull busted the pull cord. (smit) no tools! no backup! (fizz)

It wasent ment to be. I'll try on sat. Well the wife will be happy.

You all are great help!

Thanks again

Happy wife can be key, even important.

Breakdowns come with the territory. No one on the west end to help out, sounds like you may be on "your" spot?

I've gone out on the ice, set up, and - oops! - forgot the bait!

See You On Tonka,

dsludge