• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MINNETONKA

WALTERCRAFT

Off-topic

Ice-9, where did you come up with that name? That's not a reference to Cat's Craddle is it? If so, cool...If not, cool too.

On-topic

Fished Wayzata Bay on Tues...14fow, weedline, one dink walter on a silver pimple with red blade and fathead head.4:30-6:30pm

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EBass

• dsludge

• markkstanley

• Ice9

I'm going to go deeper and find some off the beaten path spot out on the main lake. It has been slow. Only when there's a low pressure system over head has it been half way consistent. And that's a two hour window around dusk that's getting smaller and smaller. I sure hope I don't have to go after crappies just to catch a fish. I'm not giving up though!

Just for curiousity sake, What are the daily limits on Tonka for eyes and crappies and/or slot limit? Thanks.

There are no slots on Tonka. So regular instate rules apply.

Crappies are 10

Walleyes are 6 (not more than 1 over 24" maybe taken daily)

Page 18 in the DNR reg book or check them out online.

By the way the season for Pike, Walters/Saugers, & Bass close on 2/20/05

Even the bait in the cooler was inactive last night. Pressure is steady now, was high and dry yesterday.

Anyone going to the Extreme Muskie Expo this weekend in Medina?

dsludge

I was out on Wayzata Bay on Monday afternoon and caught and released a 30 inch Pike that had a 14" girth. I caught him on 6 pound test line and a fat head minnow. It was a great fight and perfect way to end my night. I was sitting in 17.5 feet of water right off the weedline fishing a foot off the bottom. Anyone else been catching large Pike on Wayzata Bay? I also caught a 5 pound Pike on Sunday the same way on Black Lake.

Nice fish, Merc. Except for some tipup fish in december I've been catching few northerns, but bigger fish. And Phalen, that's a roger on the name. Pleasure to meet another Bokononist.

ice

I'm heading out to Tonka Saturday, anyone heard the latest if uncle walter and family are still deep or has anyone had luck inside 30' fow?? Let me know and I'll be sure to post my results from Saturday

I'll post on Monday how I did. Good luck this weekend everyone. It's going to be nice out. Well nicer out.

Was out last two nights on a steep break with rocks. Weedline at 18ft. Never got a bite from 15ft to 25ft. Can't say if they were deeper - the bottom drops off at about 25ft straight down to 50ft. I've had success on this spot in prior years in late Jan so I am a little stumped. Not even a pike showed up. West end of the lake has been the dead sea for me.

I don't know what this snow did. Someone is catching them and isn't saying a word. East end isn't much better Mark. It's going to be a nice weekend. R U going to RedWing?

Out tonight in Wayzata bay in 30 feet. one 14 inch eye and 20 perch. none of the perch were over 6 inches. Perch were driving me crazy from 4 until 5:30. Caught the eye at 5:35 and did not see a fish on Fl-18 after that. Stayed until 7. THought I was on Mille Lacs with all those little perch. Was kind of surprised to see people Bah haing across the middle of the bay. Didn't think that was recommended based on all the postings I've read. used a jb weasel orange and green (single hook) on the set line for the perch and a white/green spoon on the jigging line. All the perch came on the set line and the eye on the jigging line. All on minnows. Real finicky, all of them. Is there a drive on access for the Cedar point area? Thanks.

Sludge- sat off of that island one night- had a northern on broke through the deadstick line at the hole, u been havin some luck ic with the word, as any good fisherman your keepin your mouth shut im sure- i think i sat too far off the drop of- we'll see if i get out this weekend sometime, maybe try the west part of the lake dunno yet. thanks for info tho

Nick

Eric - I wish but I have some honeydos piled up so I'm going to try my unluck on Tonka Sat and maybe Sun. Boat is ready to go though. Might go the 5th to avoid the mess with the FM ice GTG grin.gif Seriously next nice weather weekend we ought to hook up with Tonka Boy and go. I've got the itch for open water. You going out on Tonka Sunday afternoon?

Had three bites last night and ended up 0-3. All the fish hit a red hook and a crappie minnow. First bite was a swing and a miss. Second bite was on about half way to hole and got off. Third bite was at 6:45 and had to be 25+, but got off after wrapping itself around the transducer as I fumbled around trying to get the heater out of the way. Was fishing rocks in 25ft.

Nick, how deep? Find some rock bottom? I try and to be set up nice and quiet by 4:30 pm. The sun is dropping quick these days, not much twilight.

By the island I put tip up on the drop, right on the bottom about 20 fow + or - 2'. Jig right on the weeds, 15 fow + or - 2'. How many paces from weed edge to 20 fow, 30 fow? There are some little "wally holes" nearly surrounded by hard bottom out there that drop 1'-2' into 18-19 fow from 16-17 fow . Nice ambush spots.

Last night out had two light biters in 18 fow sand, skunk through the hole. Got a snake in 15 fow rocks/weeds, swallowed the hook, tangled the lines, and - I swear - tried to bite me!

When you going out this weekend? I'll be out for sure Sunday maybe tonight, Muskie Show today. One more skunk and its off to the crappie holes.

Go Fish,

dsludge

Ill probably head out sunday night- Drivin a silver grand prix on the ice, i actually set up on weeds, i went too far to the east side of the island, trying to find a harder bottom and couldnt finally got too late and had to make the call to set up camp. Thinking about heading over to some islands farther south of these towrads to west side of the lake, dont quite remember the names, sometihng by cedar point i beleive, i dont know- where are you gonna head out? email me if ya want- [email protected] thanks

nick

Cedar Point is on Cooks Bay. Phelps Island seperates Spring Park Bay and Cooks. Further south is a group of 3 small islands just north of Smithtown Bay. If you drive from the Cooks Bay launch by Kirby's Bait to those islands, stick to the east side southbound lane that crosses right over Cedar Point to avoid the ice heave.

Do you have a map of tonka? Print any sections you want at: http://thoreau.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/lakemaps/b0122010.pdf

Lots of traffic out there yesterday. There was a big top tent set up on Spring Park Bay.

If I go out, I'll be on Cooks Bay between Cedar and Hardscrabble Points. Big red truck w/plow and white trailer w/red trim. Stop over if you want. Remembered a spot from last summer I want to look for. May be time for a GPS.

Blessed Be the Bait,

dsludge

I'm giving up on the walleyes. too many skunks, light bites. Looking for crappies, keep getting brief "window" bites, one or two or three marks and hits then nothing--caught two friday night (one 11") and three this morning (one 11"). Here's my question: are they hanging in the deep water, then going to the weeds, or are they in the weeds, going to the deep water, running along the weeds, what? I know even less about crappies than I do about walleyes. I've got a spot I know the crappies are around...how do I zero in on them and get more hits?

ice

Ice-9, the pressure has been steady for a few days now. I'm hoping to ice some more eyes yet. They are biting very light. Last one I got on a #8 hook with a small fathead, using a small bobber. The minnow holds it a little below the water, depending on the depth. Looks like the pressure may start dropping this afternoon!

Crappies school on tonka in small 30 foot bowls. To attract them over, I drop a big glowing rattle spoon in the hole and shake it until the minnow head comes off. Then I drop a line with a #6 glow jig and a minnow or waxie on it to the bottom and slowly reel upwards until one takes chase, then stop and gently jig and they hit if you keep them chasing. I usually fish on the outside of the school, both verically and horizontally, in 20 to 25 fow. Smaller bays seem more productive than the larger ones, but the larger bays hold the bigger fish in my limited experience. I've caught 50 and more in one night on Black Lake, I got a 14-inch slab on Spring Park Bay last winter.

Good Fishing,

dsludge

Where is Black lake located? I just started fishing the Tonka area this year and I cannot find it on any maps?

Out in a new spot - mid lake hump with a nice break into 60ft, rocks on bottom. Has a saddle connecting to a bar coming out from shore. Fished the saddle 23 to 27ft. Caught perch on fatheads - some decent size which was a first for me on Tonka. Walleyes never showed up but have to be close by. Going to move around the structure tomorrow to see if it gets any better. Nice night to be out regardless.

So, if I'm finding a few fish on a sharp weed and rock edge of a larger basin, there's a school in that basin that's probably circulating, coming by my spot, then heading elsewhere? So to have more consistent contact I should move away from the edge into the open water? I'm finding these fish in 15-18 fow, with deeper water further out. Should I set up in the center of the basin, or is one edge or another more likely?

Thanks for your tip on attracting--makes good sense. I've definitely seen the chase on the lift in action, and that accounted for some fish when nobody else was getting hit and they were picky. You said, "shake it until the minnow head comes off--" does that mean something eats it or you just knock it off?

thanks

Ice

Only a wee pike for me on Sat. A lot of people out. Went to Black Lake just to catch something, cha right. One sniffer and decided to go home. My buddies stayed but they didn't say they caught anything. Is it spring yet?

Mark RedWing doesn't sound so bad. Just need a nice weekend weather wise.

Gus and I hit Tonka for the first time ever on Sunday. Suprising since I only live a few blocks from the lake. We got 1 pike=8lbs while making breakfast, and then found a nice crappie hole and caught 2 dozen crapps and a few dinky sunnies and one nice larger one. Crappies were REALLY agressive chasing the bait up 4 or 5 feet. In all, a very positive experience!

BD

Hey Trout, what bay were you in?? Anyways went out this weekend with my underwater camera... my report..

Saturday Jan 29

viewed sunnies and perch in the 26' hole north side in grays.. no crappies.. Went out to wayzata bay and fished the rock pile out in the middle of the lake and found perch no walleyes.. then went out to breeezy point in the middle of the saddle and caught more perch saw 1 large muskie on the camera.. it was cool

Sunday 31.

Went to carsons bay drop the camera down in the 30' hole off a huge drop and found sunnies, and thats it. went out into into the bigger bay second point comming out of carsons heading towards big island and cross about 3 pressure ridges, with the jeep.. found nothing.. I was saw a few people out on dimond reef but.. I think the walleyes and crappies are in browns bay rocks where the bad ice always is..

How does one drive out to browns bay?

ps. walleye71 I was the one Bajahawin out in the jeep to the middle inbetween cedar and the grays bay bridge.. ice was 3' thick out there.. the bay that is bad is the area located in a triangle from Excelsior, big island and carlsons bay pressure ridges all over., also there is a srping in robbinson.

Eric - Sat is looking good right now for Red Wing but I guess you're doing the event on Tonka. Tonka Boy is thinking of going with if his work schedule allows it. I've decided to reclassify my future ice fishing trips on Tonka as rock hunting and minnow drowning - that way every trip will now be a success!!