• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MINNETONKA

WALTERCRAFT

Have any of you guys fished Crystal Bay for walleyes around Bohns point? I rarely see anyone fishing there, with only a couple of houses. I know it gets real deep on either side of it. Would a guy be wasting his time around there?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EBass

• dsludge

• markkstanley

• Ice9

Nice fishes walter. Sorry to hear about the spoons. Hope they turn up. I'm out 125.00 for a new auger shaft this season, doubt if that helps. Good luck on the eyes.

Are there roads plowed out there? If not, what is the best place to walk out from, I will probally be fishing Wayzata Bay, but I only have a car so I don't want to walk too far. Also how has the daytime bite been, don't want hotspots just an idea.

Cubbies

Best bet walking would probably by from Wayzata town or from the yacht club access. Both are popular. From the public lot on the Wayzata waterfront (by Sunsets restaurant) a lot of nice structure is easily accessible. Down by the beach (west of Sunsets, turn left at the second four-way-stop into the office building/restaurant lot, continue west and left to the beach) you can walk out to some more subtle features, but a fair number of fish have been taken out there. Just past the ice boats, look for 24-30 FOW--as good as anyplace else I've been except maybe Browns, but that's a hell of a walk or drive. Over by the yacht club's not bad either, not as dramatic structure but good numbers of crappies (I'm told) adn smaller walleyes (that I know for true.) Good luck.

ice

Hey everyone- College kid new to the metro area, i did hit up Tonka on thursday off of springs park bay out towards the islands, was told a crappie bite was their, but no such luck. Pulled in a couple Pike, two sunny's, and perch that i could barely tell were on my line(that small). ONly have a car up at college, wondering how this blast of winter weather is going to affect my ability to fish the lake. I would like to get on some nice eyes, but that could be tough not knowing the lake well, much less access points. Shoreline Tackle was a help to me, any other info from you guys would be good. Espeically now that im worried the car wont cut it on tonka. thanks

nick

Just bring a shovel and a couple of strips of old carpet. After you get stuck, that can get you out again.

There are roads with some good spots nearby. Some community fishing spots even have parking lots. May be a good idea to at least thank the guy parked in it. Bait shops keep the main roads clean, drop some jing in the donation jar and ask where the road is closest to some decent structure. Good luck.

dsludge

Was out early Friday morning on Browns. Started on a rock pile in the middle of the bay 22-30 FOW and didn't have bite or see a single blip on the vex. Then tried Horseshoe reef 19-22 FOW and no luck. Then tried a steep drop 24-30 FOW and still no luck. I thought with the oncoming snow storm, I would have seen more activity under the ice in those spots.

Fished Spring Park Bay Sunday night, hard/sandy bottom near a weedbed. Caught one 20" walleye and one "snake" in 17.5 fow when the west horizon was deep red and the wind calmed a little, one right after the other. I think it was 5:30 pm. Fished until 8 pm and saw no more action.

Snow is drifting. One drift brought the plow truck to a stop, had to back up and crash through. I wouldn't stray from the roads in a car any more.

dsludge

Made it out on Tonka with my buddy on Friday during the Blizzard. The fish were active. I caught 2 pike, 1 crappie, 1 perch, 1 walter. My buddy Lance caught a 29.5" WALLEYE! It was so fat that he laid it on it's tummy to measure it. After a min of shock(we were in shock) she went back in. Of course he didn't bring his digi as he didn't want to get it wet in the snow. Too bad so sad. In any case once again the low pressure system makes for a good bite even in mid to late winter. 20FOW on a fathead!

Congrats Lance that is a beast of a fish.

I was out on the North Arm For Friday's snow storm. I had consistent action on crappies from 2:00-7:00. Mostly small 6-9" but I must have caught 25 fish, with one Bonus white crappie that went 15". I went back out yesterday and they were extremely tight lipped.

I made it out to Brown's on Saturday by way of Wayzata Bay. That's a trip on the sleds and especially the wheeler hauling gear for 8 guys!! We caught a few samll perch and about 4:30 couldn't set the hook on nice weight fish. It's always good to get out though. Maybe next time!

DSludge- Where did you head out on Springs park bay- how deep ya fishing in? Is their any good spots around that bay to hit up some eyes. Would be helpful.

Quote:

Made it out on Tonka with my buddy on Friday during the Blizzard. The fish were active. I caught 2 pike, 1 crappie, 1 perch, 1 walter. My buddy Lance caught a 29.5" WALLEYE! It was so fat that he laid it on it's tummy to measure it. After a min of shock(we were in shock) she went back in. Of course he didn't bring his digi as he didn't want to get it wet in the snow. Too bad so sad. In any case once again the low pressure system makes for a good bite even in mid to late winter. 20FOW on a fathead!

Congrats Lance that is a beast of a fish.

EBAss- Nice fish man! To bad about the digital being left at home. A guy always catches nice fish when the camera is at home....then when he brings it zippo, zilch, the big DONUT happens grin.gif

Anyone hit Black lately? Was thinking of heading out there this week. Guess it's been good the last couple weeks!?!

I decided to experiment a little bit on Wayzata Bay yesterday by moving out to 40' of water, adjacent to the bar that juts out from Breezy Pt. At approx. 4:15 PM something large grabbed on but I lost it after 10-15 sec. One 15" walleye landed at 5:PM. My daughter was getting tired so we packed it in around 5:30. My goal this winter was to find a consistent pattern (or location)for walleye, but so far its just been a series of 1-3 fish outings. I WILL NOT GIVE UP!!

You were on the right track focusing on the three small islands on the south side of the bay. There is great structure around all of them. Go to the northwest side of the eastern-most of the three and take some depth readings north of the channel area. There were quite a number of houses there before, but many have moved out.

The most consistent pattern I've found on tonka for walleyes is varied structure. The more variable, the more productive. Tools I use - map, ice chisel, vexilar, water, auger, steel tape measure, and dry rags. Look on the map for depth lines that almost run on top of each other and go there. Find clear ice with the chisel, smooth off a level spot, pour on a little water, set your transducer in the puddle, and repeat. When you find an area with a steep grade, pop three holes at three different depths, clean the holes, and "feel" the bottom with the steel tape, dry it each time. There are hundreds of spots on tonka with mud, weeds, sand, gravel, and rubble all within a small area adjacent to steep drop-offs. Some are well-known, some less frequented. I enjoy finding them.

I fish these areas and catch eyes in 15 to 20 fow. Three years ago I dropped my tape down a hole and hit hard bottom at 17 feet - ping!=rock - then I lifted the tape a few inches and tried again, it dropped to 19 feet - grind=sand - fished on it four times, caught some nice eyes and northerns. Never found it again. It's the famed spot on the spot. Weed egde was 5 feet north in 15 feet, 5 feet south of the hole dropped into 22 feet with a mud shelf, and a little further south was beyond reach of the 30 foot tape. Varied depths and bottom structure = fish?

Don't forget the shovel and strips of carpet or some grit.

If I see a guy wandering around and poking through the snow and gazing down holes, I'll come over and say hey. If you see someone doing the same, it might be me. Careful though, I spook easy.

Am I crazy, or is it just me?

Good Luck,

dsludge

HAV'NT HAD MUCH LUCK LATELY IN WAYZATA BAY, GONNA MOVE THIS WEEK TO ANOTHER AREA FOR WALTERS AND A CLOSE WEEDLINE FOR TIP UPS. WE WERE THINKING CARSONS. ANY THOUGHTS FELLAS?

WALT.

He was lucky! He wasn't even paying attention then the fish started pulling drag and he looked over and his rod was about to fling over the Otter sled and into the hole. D'oh - he grabbed it and the fight was on. He fought it for 5 mins before he called me over. He forgot his head lamp and it was close to 5 now and getting dark (blizzard out)I had mine and peered down the hole. I was like PIKE! He's like no maybe its a dogfish. I'm like yeah that's a pig Doggie. Wait no that's not it. It's a WALLEYE!?!? No it's to big to be a walter. He struggled to get this beast through a 10" hole. She didn't want to come up. But alas, her head was up and he screams, "get it"! I'm kneeling outside of his shack and grabbed (just barley) a little behind the head and slide her on the ice. He was freaking out! I was in shock and in the wrong spot dang it. She's still swimming out there fellas. I think he's mad that he didn't mount it. Oh well, shoot for that 30" now. I'm looking for that 25" mark - sheesh!

heading out to Wayzata this weekend, what would you guys say would be a good starting depth? 18-20 or so or what? looking to find a few eyes. thanks for any info!

Train

That's a good depth, but try out deeper first then work your way shallower to the 18-20 as dusk wears on into darkness. Or have a tip up out deeper or vice versa. I'm not Mr. Walleye by any means though. Try to find a hard bottom with weeds an added bonus would be rocks to.

Maybe they moved deeper since the snow. I haven't been out there since the blizzard. I want to find a new spot this weekend.

Try to find a steeper break with deeper water 30+ close by. Good luck, Tonka can be rewarding one night and skunk ya the next. Weather plays a role as well. Good luck!

I was shallow last night...forgot the vexilar, though, and was hand-augering due to, well, you know. Good spot where I've usually had a walleye or two, though small, and had nothing but a couple of overachiever crappies take large minnows. One was fairly nice, the other a dink, but my first ice crappies of the year and made me look forward to March.

ice

Anybody fishing the Upper Lake on the Excelsior Side? I've been on Solberg Point but nothing but small Dinks. Need to get some bigger ones somewhere else.

Fished across the bay off of Sunrise point last night in a inside turn on a steep break but all I caught was the big "Skunk".

Info needed, I am planning on fishing Lake Minnetonka this weekend, what is the best way to get on the lake in the wayzata bay area? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

My buddy went out on Tuesday night and didn't catch any walters. He was in 23 FOW off a steep break with nice coontail weeds and plenty of perch. Time to find a new spot. Probably going to look deeper this weekend sometime.

There are two accesses on Wayzata. Both on the north side.

I'm going to hit tonka for the first time ever Friday and Saturday for walters. I was wondering if anyone had any favorite baits for eyes on Tonka? Long time fisherman of Mille Lacs but with a move, the drive up there is more than I care to drive for the day. Any advice on baits or lures would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I found on Wayzata Bay a 2-piece aluminum pole, looks like the struts to a portable like a Clam with plastic clips on either end. This was well out from the shanties in front of the Yacht Club on the eastern part of Wayzata Bay. It was under the snow so lost pre-last Friday. If it's yours drop me a line at [email protected]

Ice

Two easy accesses from Wayzata. At the west end of Lake Street, after the train station (going west), turn left at the four-way stop into the parking lot of the office building/restaurant. Veer right through the parking lot toward the park, which has a boat basin and playground, and out onto the lake over the beach. At the east end of Lake Street, after the shopping center, bear sharply right and over the tracks then go straight after the road bears left again. That spur takes you right out on the eastern end of WB. I'd find deeper water; I've caught nothing but dinks in shallow water this year.

I've caught fish on smaller jigs, lately the Demon, with smaller fatheads backhooked--like a large crappie rig--and on plain hooks, usually red. Your guess is as good as mine; it's been tough fishing.

Ice

Thanks Ice9. I'll let you know how I do. I was looking at heading to the contours near shore North of the 101 bridge, on the east edge of WB. Or at some of the rock humps in the western part of WB. I'm alittle skeptical of the snow they are predicting but that's why 150 has 4x4 and 300 hp. I'll be in a black 150 and new Fish trap guide. Stop by if you're out.