• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MINNETONKA

WALTERCRAFT

I drove my Explorer out there. My rule is never drive where you haven't been in the daylight and if it looks the least bit dodgey (pun huh) drive way around it. Ice is thick but if you want to be on the safe side park at the county park and walk out. I've drilled holes from Howard's point all the way down there and ice has been over 12" thick. No pressure ridges to deal with either. I have seen Suburbans that drove out there from Spring Park so it should be OK.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EBass

• dsludge

• markkstanley

• Ice9

Mark or Tonka boy-

In the past i have done alt of fishing around Enchanyed and spray island for the panfish. Do you know of any other accesses maybe around howard point area. The only one's I know about are the one's at zimmerman's pass where they block it off and the other in the park off of tuxedo nw of phelp's. I just come from hwy 7 and if I could find a closer one that doesnt have me driving all the way around would be great.

thx smile.gif

I went out last night and stayed away from Smithtown Bay after all. The guys at the baitshop talked me out of driving on that bay, oh well. Instead I hit Priests Bay. I found a similar piece of strusture and set up in 18 fow. Perch, perch, perch from 2-5pm. Right when the clock struck five I caught a 15" walleye. One more came up and sniffed it about 20 minutes later and that was it. Not a flash on the vex, not a nibble.

My question is, where did they go. Typically do you find schools of walleye moving from the deep to the shallow to feed. Was I on the way to their spot when I caught the 15"er. Perhaps they moved even shallower? I am confused. Right when I got that walleye I thought we were in for a good night and then nothing. If anyone can help me understand these fish better I would appreciate it.

Realtor, you can drive out right from Hwy 19 into Old Channel bay. It's where the lakeshore comes right up to the road before the Narrows bridge - bit of a drive. You can also drive out from Crescent Beach right off Birch Bluff Rd. Turn left onto Pleasant from Hwy 19 and turn left at the stop sign and you will see the beach. Big pressure ridge there but you can get around it going to the right.

As for where are the walleyes - I'd try deeper before going shallow. Setup in 25 and at 20 first. If perch are there the walleyes are close. I have caught squat jigging this year. Just have to let the minnow hang there.

I would try the same structure a little deeper next time. Try around 28 feet and see what happens. My experience on Tonka have led me to fish deeper as the winter goes on. Mid January I usually find walleyes in 25-30 fOw.

Does anyone know if they are driving vehicles over or around the hardscrabble ice heave??

When I was out yesterday people were driving all over the bay and all the way up to the pressure ridge at Hardscabble. I could not tell if people were brave enough to drive over it or not. There was a solid 16" of ice throughout the bay but I stayed a good ways away from the ridge itself. The guys at the baitshop said you could get right up to the ridge but could not cross it.

My buddy jumped the ridge past Hardscrabble on his wheeler. I also saw a kid get his front tire stuck on his dirt bike.

As for the walter bite on Tonka. For me there's only a small window of opprotunity. Early ice the window seems to be longer and as winter goes on the window gets smaller and smaller. Granted there are some that stray in later on, but for the most part they don't. I haven't put much time out there yet this season. But in the past this is what I come to know. Any one else see this?

There is a good 4 wheeler and snocat trail across the ridge at many locations. I have even been over it in my snocat several times with no problems.

Maybe saturday I will drive out up to it and pop some holes right next to the ridge on either side and try to get a feel for how the ridge is set up (ie. over lapped and refroze or spreading apart) I will try to give a report.

Where are they? I don't know, but here is how I try. I fish on steep breaks, near hard bottom, 18' to 22'. Have found some 6:30 to 9:00 pm, 13" to 18". Big ones on "the spot on the spot". Big ones just inside/outside the weeds 16' or less on the weekdays (or any night there are few people on the ice). Try to find the edge of mud to rock/sand, shallow, with about 1' of weeds, just where your steel tape bounces down the edge of a rock. Big Walter is in the weeds, not afraid of the pike. Monday night I pulled a 6.7 pounder out of less than 15' in such a place - weeds on the line.

Dsludge

I went out last weekend at Old Channel Bay from 19. We were tempted to drive but it was all slushy and looked like someone had gotten stuck right in front of there and we didn't want to take the chance. We walked around that and out to Locke point. Not far before the point, there was a strech of bare ice running from the point to the east towards the Narrows bridge. I'm not great with the technical terms but it didn't have any snow on it which lead me to believe it was open water when we got all of the rain/sleet crap. It cracked real good when we walked across it, and snowmobiles were breaking through and spraying up water when they went across. I couldn't tell if it was ice-water-ice or if there was just a thin layer of ice and that was it.

There was also a guy with a permanent just to the east of us and just north of this area. He drove his truck right up to his house and he appeared to come from Spring Park or that area. We had a solid 13" and we were only 30 yards or so from it, but it would be real easy to try and drive a vehicle across it. There's no way you would know it was there if it was covered with snow. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Is there a current or something that runs under the Narrows bridge that is causing that?

I went out tonight with my Dad and we got one 15" eye on the tipup in 35ft. Set the portable in 24 on rocks and didn't even mark a fish on the vex. Was it slow for everyone else or were we on the wrong spot?

we were out 1-8 in browns bay. setup in 26' nice rock bottom, we were on a break of 21 - 30 in about 10 yards.

caught 1 17" at 4:45. That was it. never marked another fish.

so maybe we both in wrong spots?

BTW, we had 13" of ice where we were.

I'm thinking of hitting Tonka Tues. after work for some eyes. I could use a little help on where to go. Is Wayzata Bay a good choice? I wont be out there until 4:30. So not a lot of time to move around. what depth should I target and does wayzata have a good landing and are they driving out there. thanks for all the help

Bobber

I was out on Wayzata yesterday morning off on Cedar Point. Jigging in 25ft and tipup in 30ft. Only one pike in 30ft before sunrise and that was it. I heard a guy say he caught two small eyes in 19-20ft. There was 17 inches of good ice and I saw plenty of full size vehicles all over the bay. I have been on Wayzata about 5 times and have had poor luck--3 eyes and a few perch. The bay has two good landings. One right next to the Wayzata Yacht club (which is actually just a fire lane) and the other one at the beach, which is down the shoreline to the west of Sunsets.

Good luck and let us know how you did.

Big fish guy: Were you on one of the humps or off the reef? When I go to Brown's, I park and walk over the ridge. I've had some success on the rocks out there, but I've been trying a new spot every time out. I'm probably going to Wayzata tomorrow night. I have to give my favorite spot from last year a try. Is anyone catching any after 7pm?

I've had nothing after 7 PM. Then again, I've had almost nothing before 7 PM--a couple of willing quick biters the other night, both small, a couple of misses--that was on the hump on the east side of Wayzata. Had a very nice fish to the hole Friday night, the only bite of the trip among four of us, but it was on a crappie jig very small and it came off as I knew it would. If I had landed it it would have been one of those 24 inchers, but since it got away it was probably pushing 8 pounds. Thinking about spending my next hall pass on Brown's. Anybody found a way over that ridge? Once you've driven out a time or two walking loses its charm.

ice

I am very curious as to the patterns of the Walleye on this lake during the winter. It seems as if most of the reports have one or two fish caught, all around 5pm.

My own experience has been the same. Does this mean that the fish are constantly on the move? Are we catching fish that are en route to another feeding spot. I have not had a night where I have even seen evidence of more than a couple fish on the vex, or rarely a couple on the ice. I blame nothing but my own ignorance of this lake and would like to learn more.

If some of you have some ideas as to the behavioral patterns of these fish I would appreciate it. I never expect anyone to give up spots, just some general info. Thanks

I have been having a tough time of it this winter trying to find the "eyes". I have lived on the lake 15 years and SCUBA dive the lake a lot. I think I know it as well as anyone else. I was wondering if some of your others who like to fish Tonka would like to coordinate our efforts by getting together and targeting a spot. My thinking is that if a half dozen of us get together and try different depths, baits, techniques, we could perhaps find and figure out the walleye bite. If nothing else, at least we meet a few new faces and have a beer or two. I can not get out every night, but will be available both week nights and weekends. If anyone is interested, propose a spot and a time. I have the lake master map of Minnetonka on my computer and can print out detailed maps of any spot of the lake.

Tonka has always been a sundown bite for walleyes - the window is about an hour before to an hour after no matter the season. I think walleyes - except for the cigars - don't school up in Minnetonka as they do in other lakes. Probably the result of a weed related population and a lot of forage. The only time I can catch more than a couple consistently is in the fall. And where the walleyes go mid to late ice is anyone's guess. I have heard that there is another walleye bite towards midnight. Too late for me.

Minnetonka: I plan on going again Sunday. Looks like the Vikes play at Noon. If you're free, post and we can round up some more people.

Ice 9: I've seen people driving around the ridge. Head left or north. They are crossing somewhere near the shore.

Got out for an hour tonight on Grays Bay and fished for crappies. We put our perm out there last week. We managed a few crappies tonight. My Dad said they were biting good yesterday.

It might be fun to have an informal FM outing on Tonka before(maybe after)the I.C.E. series event on February 5th. Maybe even some night during the week?

I will check with the Mrs on my availability for Sunday after the game. I think it will be a go. How about Hardscrabble or Ceder point? We can drive out from Mound Bay park? There is lots of good structure and easy access.

Bailey, you can count on me. It's going to get too cold for me for a few days but after that, you betcha. Sunday night?

ice

Here's how it went for me last night. My 3-year-old wants to go fishing badly, so I get it together and get him and his nine-year-old brother dressed, in the truck, all the gear, candy for bribes, and we finally drive out on the ice. Find the spot, GPS not working, auger acting up, auger holes, get lines down on bobbers, etc. The little guy's bobber immediately goes down, he hooks and lands a 5" rock bass, and that's it: he's done. I haven't had a chance to fish at all. They're wresting over the gameboy, beeping the horn, screaming at me, pounding on each other, all of it. Ah, fatherhood. So I desperately fish for five minutes, yelling things at them like, "Get along, dammit!" I'm about to give up when a big fat mark zooms onto the screen and clobbers my jig. Now I've been fishing hard for a month, working my tail off, with five walleyes to show for it and one of those got off in the hole, gave me the fin, and ran away. I've put in hours, worked my tail off, printed maps, walked miles, plotted. Had about thirty fish come in, sniff, go away, come back, say no, thanks. This one comes in so fast I can't believe it but bam I'm hooked up with a big fish. Four pound test, a #8 hook on a 1/16 ounce jig, a 24 inch rod, a 500 class shimano reel, and an eight-inch hole through 18 inches of ice. Up and down, in and out, kids are yelling, I'm parenting at volume, all the time expecting that jig to pop back out through the ice and stick in my cheek, but no. Luck for once. After about five minutes I'm getting close and, as sometimes happens, the fish puts his head in the hole and gives a kick and swims right out into my arms like a mermaid in a dream. Went somewhere between 25 and 27 inches, very fat with that big humpback, felt like six plus pounds. The kids stopped fighting for a moment and the nine-year-old shot a pic with my phone-cam illuminated by the truck lights. It's perhaps the worst fish pic ever. I look like a Bigfoot with my chest on fire. Plunked that big girl back in the hole and down she went, and the little guy says, "That was a walleye. It was too big." Wayzata Bay, 30 FOW, cream-and-green Demon with a whole smallish fathead back-hooked. I was marking some small stuff--maybe more rock bass (we used to call 'em goggle-eyes down south)--when the walleye came in, all lit up. Probably not perch because it was after dark.

Ice fishing is fun.

Ice

I was out in Wayzata Bay last night also. Saw absolutely nothing on the screen. maybe to shallow 22 fow. lots of small perch on the camera. was out from 2-7pm.

Congrats Ice9 that's a very nice metro walleye and you have something to remember it by. Putting in your time will pay off eventually.

Awesome story Ice9 and very well written I could actually feel the "parental tension" as I read the story. smile.gif

Minnetonka, don't go exposing all my honey holes now! tongue.gif

I'd be game but I am heading up to Devils lake to fish the bitter cold. crazy.gif

Ice9, Congrats on the nice fish. Don't be to afraid to keep those fish if you are fishing deep water 30 FOW+. Most fish from that depth will not make it. Their swim bladder will expand not allowing them to make it back down. I have also noticed that their eyes will bulge out. This is unfortunately the bad thing of fishing deep. Besides this Minnetonka is a stock lake, basically put-and-take with very limited natural reproduction especially since millfoil has taken over the lake disrupting historic spawning areas.