• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

All-Season deer license interpretation???

Mark Christianson

In our area, I can buy IHP licenses. As far as I know, I can take up to 5 deer total. Only one may be a buck though. All management and IHP are anterless only.

I think I will just worry about tagging one buck, and one doe with my All Season site tags, and just not even try to get into the rest of the jibberish.
If we try to read too deep into this, we will be sharing a jail cell together.

STOP
#1 All-Season licence are able to harvest a Doe during the Firearms season with Bow nad Arrow and use their "Anterless tag" without applying for an anterless permit. Archery season doesn't close during Firearms season. If it does please tell me what page I can find it. None of this he said, she said stuff. put it in writing!!

#2All-season licence holders may purchase up 3 IHP in designated permit areas, with means the All-season licence holder may take and tag 5 deer-but only 1 of the 5 may be a buck! Can be 5 Does!!!

I'm not done yet

------------------
Puff-Puff-Pass

[This message has been edited by Ozzy169 (edited 08-28-2003).]

Yes BLACKJACK you may harvest those deer like you wrote

------------------
Puff-Puff-Pass

The bow hunting season was never closed durring firearms season, just like others have posted, it just limited that a bow hunter could not take a doe durring the firearms season. Like one of my firsts post stated, I thought that was a dumb rule.

This thread when posted by Biglake started out on just the all-season license alone, forget about talking intensive harvest and managment for now please. With just the all-season license and NOTHING else, you can only have the one buck and one doe.

We really need a CO to explain it. I know I said before that the all -season was like haveing a different license for each season, but based on what it says on page 69, I would have to recall that earlier statement and say that the all-season license is its own licence and so the bow hunting regs do not COMPLETELY determin the rules of an all season license holder using a bow durring the firearms season. I still assume that I cant shoot a doe durring the firearms season if I am an all-season license holder using a bow unless I was awarded a doe permit.

Im with Biglake, the way I interpret the rules will not get me in trouble with the law if thats how I hunt with the all season license, so thats the way it's going to stay.

I think the regs should have the all-season regs seperated just like they seperate archery from firearms instead of having one statement about all-season here, another on this page, then another on a different page.

Here is ther phone # for the DNR 651-296-6157

Here are the ?'s I asked and the answers I got

Can deer be harvested with the same weapon with an All-Season deer license? YES

Can an All-season licensee harvest 2 Does during a firearms season with bow and arrow? YES

Can an All-season hunter tag 2 Antlerless deer, Archery or muzzleloader season's? YES

For more answers to life's ?'s call the number at the top of the page

Sorry for any inconveinences, I just sell the darn things

------------------
Puff-Puff-Pass

I didn't know they were in such high demand. Is there a package deal available? grin.gif

cornfish, you're missing the point of the All-Season permit. It was set up to allow you to use multiple weapons to harvest multiple deer, no more, no less. When you you have a bow in hand, you follow the archery rules. When you have a gun in hand, you follow the firearm rules. When you have have a muzzleloader, you follow the muzzleloader rules. So your concern about harverting a doe with your bow during gun season is needless, archery rules apply and you CAN shoot a doe.

If you don't believe us, call the DNR about your question and get back to us.

Ozzy
Did you clarify with them, that you were not inquiring about management permits or IHP?
You say you can take 2 does. Can you take 2 does with just the All-Season tags?
I am afraid we are still in the dark.
I just want to clarify the questions you asked them.
I know I can shoot 2 does, but only if you get IHP or MP. I thought.
And yes, I know the number for the DNR, and I can call to get the info from them. Just want to make sure how you worded your question.

[This message has been edited by biglakeba$$ (edited 08-28-2003).]

BIGLAKEBASS, page 56 of the regs says one buck and one doe on the All-Season.

Ozzy, thanks for confirming my thoughts on the 3 deer.

But Ozzy says:
Can an All-season licensee harvest 2 Does during a firearms season with bow and arrow? YES

Can an All-season hunter tag 2 Antlerless deer, Archery or muzzleloader season's? YES

I am assuming that is the case ONLY if you get your MP or IHP. I thought.

Yep, you can get two deer with that license, one buck and one doe thats it!
Lets make it easy....regs are clear... you can shoot only one buck then your done shooting buck, so now lets say you used your buck tag up and only have your doe tag left.
so Im still out bow hunting trying to shoot a doe. firearms season is here and I can not shoot a buck because I used my tag already. so now I can only shoot a doe with the rifle if I was granted a doe permit from the lottery, if not I can only bow hunt and muzzle load hunt when the season rolls around. Its easy guys, when you shoot your two deer your done, and you can only shoot a doe during rifle season if you have the permit. otherwise fire away! if its brown its down!

[This message has been edited by bluebill97 (edited 08-28-2003).]

i only hope i have enough room in my stand for the DNR translator needed to hunt this year. also does anyone know where i can find one? what they charge? do they use scent protection? all kidding aside i would highly advise all to personally call the DNR and have them answer your specific questions. most important- good luck hunting to all. may you all be blessed with huge bucks and freezer filling does.

I emailed the DNR and informed them of this post here. I just got a response back from teh Big Game Coordinator and after he read the entire thread, he said he was reluctant to join the forum and post his response because of the continued questions that would be asked.

He basically said he would answer the questions, and then I could post his response.

So as it stands now, I am waiting for him to reply back with answers to everyones questions, or a response from him asking me to compile a list of all the questions that he can answer. My quess is that he will go back through all the posts and write up answers and then email them back to me.

Not sure when that will be but I do leave for Canada tomorrow at noon, so if I haven't heard anything by noon tomorrow, I will not be able to post his response until I get back on Sept. 8th.

Hope no ones ready to rip any ones head off yet smile.gif This is a confusing topic.

The outdoornews has a good artical about the confusion that some hunters are having and explains the allseason license well.1 buck and 1 doe with that license.Both can be harvested during the bow season and muzzel season. firearms a buck or [doe only with a permit.]and yes you can buy and use ihp in areas that are open.If you want you can legally harvest 5 deer total with the allseason license 1 buck 4 does if you hunt in the areas open to that harvest total.

Hmmm
You wrote buck OR doe for firearms.
Did you mean buck AND doe(if you have a valid doe permit)?

Korn i will wait for the response. i appreciate your efferts. my true question still remains as a question. the only advantage the all season license gains is the taking of an additional doe in specific areas. we all know that angle.
being the new change is allowing us to take an additional doe (which clearly spells out to me the huge QDM problem we already have in MN) i am assuming the current all season license was provided for taking more does (thus to help the buck to doe ratio we currently have) simply because not enough archers and muzzle loaders are taking enough does to get the results the DNR is looking for.
(the largest group of hunters purchasing licenses are by far firearms license holders, far to dangerous to open that completely to either sex tags. results would be drastic for herd management.) therefore i believe the DNR's thinking was to ease into this by allowing the all season tags.
givin that theory (and the fact that previous archery and muzzleloader tags were for either sex, i base my question on) can you tag both deer tags given out at the time of all season purchase, on does?
first tag being buck only- which in the past has been open to buck or doe during the archery and muzzle seasons. the second tag is obviously doe only. also all management and intensive harvest tags are doe only. again my question does not include the firearms season. only with archery and or muzzle.

P.S.shoot lots of deer, car repairs are far to costly.

Don't mean to offend anyone but this conversation is stupid. If you don't know the god **** rules get a regulation book and if you can't understand it then I'm not too sure you should be in the woods with a gun!

I agree this is getting old. It's all in the law books and what i've written in my past posts is true.Mdeiley, NO THE BUCK TAG IS USED FOR WHAT IT SAYS BUCK.This is not difficult.

Thanks Metrojoe! That article answers my question that yes you can shoot three deer with the all season licence if you purchase the management tag with it. Mayfly, anytime the regs drag on for 30 pages, theres bound to be lots of questions! I would encourage everyone to call the DNR if you still have questions.

For the last couple disgusted guys, here is my first post on this topic:

<I have a few questions about it, and I know the right place to go is DNR law enforcement, but I thought it would be interesting to get other view points to see how wide the opinions vary on this topic.>

Don't bother reading the post if all it does is annoy you. The fact remains that you may think its simple, but I bet you anything, that there are regs somewhere in the book that you are misinterpretting.
Don't even think of telling anyone they shouldn't be in the woods with a gun, just because we are trying to do the right thing and understand it 100% before we go in the woods. The people that "think" they know it all are probably the ones causing more problems than the people trying to do the right thing before we go in the woods.

I feel everyones pain on this topic.

Here is what the Big Game Coordinator wrote me this morning:

I tried to register on the forum but it never emailed me a password.
However, there's enough confusion out there that I'll go ahead and send
you what I hope to be the definitive answers to what the all-season
license allows.

All-Season Deer License buyers will need to declare a deer permit area
at the time of purchase. This information is needed because the hunter
may be immediately authorized to use the antlerless portion of their
license to tag a deer with a firearm, depending on the area they select.
The license allows a hunter to kill a buck AND an antlerless deer.
Archers and muzz hunters have the greatest flexibility as they can fill
the antlerless tag STATEWIDE during their respective open season. The
permit area declaration is only for the firearm season, which comprises
the bulk of the deer harvest. So, here's what you can do with the
various weapon types:

Firearms:
o Lottery - Must apply through the regular drawing by Sept. 4,
2003. If successful in the lottery they will be authorized to take a
second deer, which can be antlerless only. If unsuccessful, an
antlerless deer can be taken during the bow or muzzleloader seasons.
o Managed - If the permit area they declare is in the managed
category, they'll be given authorization to kill a buck and 1 antlerless
deer. They can also purchase an additional deer management permit for
the selected deer permit area for one-half the cost of a regular
license. All-season license holders can kill 3 deer in a managed deer
permit area.
o Intensive- If the permit area they declare is in the intensive
category, they'll be given authorization to kill a buck and 1 antlerless
deer. Additionally, they can purchase up to 3 intensive harvest
permits for one-half the cost of the regular license.

Archery/Muzzleloader:
o Can use the license statewide and harvest 1 buck and 1
antlerless deer.
o Will be able to harvest antlerless deer in 2 managed deer permit
areas. They can do this by harvesting one with the antlerless tag that
comes with the license and another by using an intensive harvest permit
in a different managed deer permit area. Firearms hunters cannot do
this.

The confusion comes from hunters who mix-and-match (archery hunt in one
area and gun hunt in another). Basically, firearms hunters will be
restricted to the area they declare when they buy the license and
arch/muzz hunters will be able to go statewide. However, it's important
to note that all-season license holders cannot kill deer in more than 2
managed areas and one of the deer must be killed with a bow or muzz.

I've also noticed some confusion with the 4A lottery and 4B managed
permit areas. Here's what you can do if you're a FIREARMS hunter. If
you declare a lottery permit for a 4A hunt, you cannot buy a management
permit for the 4B hunt. The 4A/4B split is designed to break up hunters
so you'll have to make a choice. If I were interested in maximizing my
firearms harvest, I would declare the 4B hunt at time of purchase, which
would allow me to buy a management permit during the firearms season. I
would simply be forced to buck hunt during the 4A season. Basically,
you'll get an 'extra' deer if you declare 4B.

Finally, to put it all in perspective, I'll give you an explanation of
what I will do this season.

I'm going to purchase an all-season license and declare PA235. I will
also purchase an intensive harvest permit at the same time. On the AS
license, I'll get a buck tag that's good statewide (except 3B) and an
antlerless tag that will be valid only in 235 if I use a firearms OR
statewide if I use a bow/muzz. I'm an archer, so the intensive harvest
permit will allow me to take a doe early in the season somewhere in the
state. That way, I won't burn my AS antlerless tag, just in case I use
a gun in 235. If I don't kill a doe during the firearms season, I'll
fill my AS antlerless tag with my muzzleloader.

There's a lot of flexibility with this license and it also provides
some tremendous opportunity. I hope I've cleared up some of the
confusion and this makes sense to your members. Good luck! Best
regards, Lou

Lou Cornicelli
Big Game Program Coordinator
Minnesota Dept. Natural Resources

this is Korn again now,,,,,hope Lou's statements help. He also sent me a pdf file that lists some frequently asked questions regarding the all season license and also sent me a link to the DNR web site which is great additional information that walks you through the buying process. the link is http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/deer/2003/index.html

If anyone wants me to send them the pdf file, I can. Just email me at [email protected]

I'll be the first to admit that I had some misconceptions to the rules, thanks to Lou, my questions are answered. Hope all of yours are too.

[This message has been edited by korn_fish (edited 08-29-2003).]

Boy, this thread really petered out! Everybody must have gotten their questions answered! Thanks Lou C. from the DNR!