• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Clearwater update

Bigeyes,,, i dont know that if you are able to get on at camp friendship or not without knowing someone there ... most places on clearwater for the most part are long drags unless you know someone to get access. i am using sled to get from west end to the east end . watch the ice .. kinda funny this year.i have been getting fish all thru the day .. eves have seemed to be the best for me thou .. hope this helps

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rockhardinmn

• Farley

• Johnny B

• Icemandu

There is always some very questionable ice out there. A four-wheeler went through on the south side of Bungalow Island near the pressure ridge two weeks ago and another went through near the Grass Lake channel about a week ago. The narrows next to Cigar Island are notoriously bad all season long. Later in the year the carp begin to school up in preparation for the spawn, whatever they are doing on those shallow flats also destroys the ice each season. The Stearns County Sheriff says that Clearwater is the worst lake that he knows of for vehicles going through. So if anyone is venturing out to new locations, please be careful and pay attention to where you are going. I am happy to say that one of my friends who went through on this lake is still around to fish another day…
I will be on the lake tomorrow and Friday. I park at the public launch next to McBride’s, look for the truck that has the FM sticker in the back window.
Have a safe and happy New Year

Farley , from where he is talking about going from mcbridess you can go to thje east fairly safely , bill has road plowed out to the point of the island . there is a ridge there where he stops . you should see where we been crossing it . to the narrows cross the point on the south side land. there is a trail there to cross to the east side there .. noth side of narrows area ,, carefull ,, been knowen to open up in good years . spot where atv went in by island ... guy was paralleing(sp) the preasure ridge ( not Smart) .. grass lake area can br tricky to deal with as can the area out of the black pool and lake agusta channel area also

I typically fish the west side during the ice season and the east side during the open water. I do occasionally fish near the channel and in front of Camp Friendship in the winter. Rock has the route to the east side pegged. If you are going on the snowmobile it may be a little rough going: no snow mad.gif
I think the guy who went through on the ATV wasn’t intending on paralleling the ridge, he just didn’t know it was there... tough way to find out!

Thanks for the advise, I think maybee we'll walk it from just south of Bungalow if we get out there early, a buddy of mine ownes some poroperty on the island so there is an easement there. So if I follow the south shoreline, cross into the eastside lake over the south point on land, turn a 45 and head straight North East there's nothing to look out for?? I know there is some grass out there to stay away from but otherwise a 4-wheeler(if we bring one) will make it? What is this grass lake area you guys talk about, I know every other place you mentioned but Grass Lake??!?

farley,, no need to walk at all ,, i think i was the first to run the whole lake when we did have snow , there is brely enough snow to run now if your looking to ride sled , enough to pull the fish house around but thats about it , Grass Lake is where the lake emptys into clearwater river that dumps into the miss. there are 2 bridges on this lake , the one over the lake agusta channel by mcbrides.. and the bridge on county rd 144( grass lake), that is close to the old maple hill resort.
Farley ,, i go east end alot ,, there are some tracks that you should beable to see . just follow/ those grass humps/islands you talk about .. ice is fine in that area .. about a foots worth .. you may see me out there tommrow ,, green indy sled .. fish trap Voyouger( sp) behind .. i tend to be off by myself away from the crowds..

Thanks for the heads up Jonny B, do you go all the way to the east side from B.J.'s or do you stick around the west side? I'm just looking for the best route to the eastside from BJ's\Black Pool via snowmobile.

Didn't get out there with the house untill 4:00 or so today, just dropped it out by the first group out from B.J.'s. We'll get her in position tommorrow, I think were in 50 feet now. I didn't know that was a pay per use boat launch.

I friend of mine went through on Dec, 31 1989 and died between islands, I will not fish that in the winter. There is no sense having two lost souls floatin amongst the fish,, Sorry

where is camp friendship located from the public access in front of the resturant?

Camp Friendship is in the "eastern basin", in the first bay (north side of the lake). If you go from either public access, you've got a long haul past "Bungalow" and then "Eagle Islands", then look left...you'll see Camp Friendship along that northern shoreline...

Did anyone get out over the long, cold weekend? Fished all day Saturday and caught small walleyes in 40 ft. of water. Nothin to bring home though. Anyone fishin that 50 foot hole out north of Bungalow? Out of the 80 houses out there, someone has to be catchin fish. We might move to the reeds over between BJ's and McBrides and go for some bigger fish this weekend.

Farley...I got out half a dozen times on Augusta. I should stop here for safety sake and say that there is no access to Augusta in the winter as the channel does not freeze. I live on the lake and have my shack out there.

Crappies were hit and miss. When they showed up, they bit but were extremely sensitive to ATV and auger noise.

I should really extend a thanks to the toad that set up shop right behind my house with a case of beer, his buddy, and 4 noisemakers on ice skates. What really topped it off was he was one of those guys who drills 2 holes every 10 minutes and never fished a one of them. I almost strangled him. I feel better getting that out. A small note to please be considerate on the ice at least until we get some sound dampening snow on the lakes.

As it got colder, the overall crappie size decreased and I had to work hard to get 7-8 fish. There doesn't seem to be much for school sizes coming through at my depth...alot of solo's and duals swimming through with the very occasional school.

------------------
"What should I do...I think he's probably got the hook, I'd set the hook...PLINK....ooohh, I would have gave him some more time"

i was out sat. around 3pm fished all the humps on the east side all different depths and only caught 4 small walleyes and 1 northern. no crappies stayed out till 10 the next morning bite was very slow and it was cooooooold.wondering how everyone else did.

Hows everyone doing. Just found out a buddy of mine has a place on Clearwater and am planning on going up this Sunday and Monday. Never fished the lake before. His place is in the Northern most bay on the West side. Is there good fishing around there? Or should I plan on going to the east side of the lake. Would like some eyes, but crappies and sunfish wouldn't be bad either. Any info would be appreciated. A close bait shop location would be nice also. Thanks.

just wondering how the bite is hope to get out there soon anyone having any luck with walleyes sunnies or crappies any info would be great

Just curious what the ice situation is like after the cold weather this week?

Planning on coming out tomorrow afternoon, will be going out of the Public Access by McBride's and am wondering if I can plan on driving on or if I should make plans to bring the 4 wheeler?

Thanks.........Norski King !!!

Never fished Clear Water before and looking to go out there tomorrow. Whats a good spot to start for walleye. Any information would help me much.. THanks

Never fished Clear Water before and looking to go out there tomorrow. Whats a good spot to start for walleye. Any information would help me much.. THanks

Went out tonight.. and fished depths of 40, 25, and 15 ft. Nothin but perch... Fished off that big island..don't remember what it was called... Didn't know how the ice was all over so didn't want to travel far...
Anybody else get anything???

Moved the house on Saturday, not many fish, but caught one hell of a bar tab at McBrides. 8 people, dinner + drinks from about 7:00 till close = way too much $. I think we'll move the house a little bit further from the bar.

[This message has been edited by Farley (edited 01-12-2004).]

No current report for Clearwater? is it that all the owners of the fish houses spending to much time in Mcbrides as it sounds like Farley did? grin.gif heads up for ya farley you might want to move the house closer to Waterfront bar .. mcbrides will be remodeling in feb . tongue.gif.. but seriously .. the crappies fishing has been great if you do the work for them . they are very fussy this year also. i have found fish in the deeper water away from the groups ..most of the fish i getting have been in the 3/4s to a 1lb range . got 1 a Putz buddy of mine didnt weigh in till 2 days later that went 1.55. frown.gif told him to do it right away.walleyes i have found have been in the deeper water also . personally i think the lack of snow is what is making the fish spookier than past years . thus moving on top of other houses tends to spook fish alot. so be a little respestfull and set up b4 prime time please .to the guys that toss the fish out of your houses smile.gif thanks for inviting those lazy fisherman to fish next to you instead of me wink.gif

I agree rockhardinmn. There was a guy last week set up 10 feet from my permanent. There are 8 houses on the entire lake to which I have 4 words...FIND YOUR OWN SPOT! Friday night we spent the night in the house for eyes and crappies...no dice. 6:00 am Saturday plan was to go mobile. As we left the house, 2 guys had set up about 15 feet behind me!! I made sure to drive around them twice with the wheeler...I guess it's obvious I have not time for the inconsiderate. You are 100% right that no snow = touchy fish.

Saturday morning found some decent perch and a few pike...no eyes. Fast and furious afternoon bite. 14 crappies in 1 hour 15 minutes (kept 9) and then marked fish, but no bites. Depth...28 feet. No luck with bobber...spring bobbers only. Fresh minnow after every fish.

Good luck all!

buck blaster.. we should hook up and trade info on the clearweater chain ,,, made post saying such ... i am free most all days since i am laid off grin.gif

I just did the flipper flop between the two posts! Send me an email at [email protected] and we can meet up for a brew and burger at McBrides or something. I'm entertaining puppy buyers a few nights this week...got a litter of labs at 6.5 weeks I'm selling so I'll figure out what evening no one will be at my place.

i did the same grin.gif sounds fine with me ,, those are not yellow lab pups are they? if you get into mcbrides at all then you will have seen my daughter in there b4 . she works there . wife and i also have a few meals there ,, geesh such a small area we probly have seen each other b4 anyhow lol. email onj the way also

we were out on Friday night and had a blast .there was 6 kids and 5 adults making as much fun as could be mustard. we did four wheeler rids (with the sled,very popular repeated 4 or 5 times)and sliding contest. we were in 16' of water all by ourselves not a house with in 1/2 mile, until two guy on wheelers and portables set up next to us with all that going on I thought we were idiot proof.WRONG! they set up so close to the wives mini van that I wanted to use the auto rear door to tip their house over .The owner of our fish house didn't want me to mess with them.I thought the panic alarm was appropriate but he didn't.I did have to ask the guy if he wanted me to move the van so he could drill under there too.He said "no thank you" so we just let the kids be kids and they moved. We caught fish like no tomorrow ,walleyes , rock bass, crappies , perch and a northern. Clearwater has the most structure of any lake around that I fish and there is spots galore I'll even share mine but not that close , or I'll sick the kids on you.Metro

Where have people been finding the crappies in Clearwater? Typically I fish them deep this time of year there, anywhere from 35 to 50 feet, but have any of you been finding the bigger ones much shallower, say 15 feet, mixed in with bluegills and/or walleyes?