• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pit blind near water??

This winter I hunted geese out of my friend's pit blind in the middle of a plowed field. I had never hunted this way and had a blast. Good cover and stayed very warm inside. I'm wondering if anyone hunts out of a pit near waters edge for duck or geese? My gut tells me that water would seep in and fill the pit, but what about a pit that is water tight? Anyone heard of such a thing? Possible to build one? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Not completely sure on this but I think the DNR would consider them a form of a sink-box which is illegal. Also, I think you would run into all kinds of problems from the DNR because you would have to alter the shoreline (technically speaking) in order to do what you are proposing.
I think you can legally dig a pit as long as it does not go below the water line, so if you did this on a pass or a point where the land was high enough, it could be done, in fact I know of a few spots where blinds like these have been built, all of which are on passes but well above the water line.

------------------
>"////=<
Gull Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/gullguide
Brainerd-Mille Lacs-Willmar
Bemidji-Ottertail

not sure how you would keep water out. maybe sink a small stock tank into the ground?

[This message has been edited by guidesrus (edited 04-02-2002).]

Just to clarify my earlier post: Our land is in South Dakota. I checked with a game warden there and a pit blind is legal near water. So.. anyone have any ideas how I could build a water-tight pit blind close to a body of water?
Thanks

Well, in that case.....
Your biggest problem would be how you would anchor it down let alone keep it watertight.
You would have to weigh it down enough so that it does not pop up and "float" at the waterline. A lot of rocks or even sand bags could work. As for making it watertight, I would construct a box using 3/4" treated plywood and then use fiberglass cloth and resin over the seams, or if you are really ambitious, cover the whole outside with fiberglass, costly...you bet. I would also install a bilge pump with a float so if it did leak, you would not come out to the blind one morning and find that you now have a swimming pool. I would think a 900 gph pump would suffice, since it should not leak too much.
I would then dig the pit and for added waterproofing, I would place a large sheet of plastic under and around the box. then I would weigh it down until it sank to the bottom of the pit and then fill in the dirt around the box. Cover it with natural grasses or even the sod, etc. that you dug up to make the pit itself.
Good luck and post the pics of it when you get it built.

------------------
>"////=<
Gull Guide Service
Bemidji-Ottertail

Thanks GullGuide
Those are some good ideas. Would you hook a bilge up to a 12-volt deep cycle battery? I'll definately let you know how it turns out, complete with pics.

Yes, hook it to a deep cycle. Might as well hook up some 12 volt lighting while you are at it. Make sure to get a pump with an auto float so it will turn on when you are not there.

------------------
>"////=<
Gull Guide Service
Bemidji-Ottertail

[This message has been edited by GullGuide (edited 04-03-2002).]

I wasn't going to post on this topic, but in the interest of neusbaum, & any others that may be considering a project like this. I thought I might point out a possible flaw by placing a "pit-blind" near waters' edge.
The first negative thought was digging.....
I hate shovels! wink.gif& if you don't hate them now, you will too, after digging in wet dirt/sand/etc.
The 2nd thing that came to mind was wind- direction. I personally like to have the wind to my back, & dekes in front, when I hunt ducks.(Slows them down to come into the dekes, or makes them wheel & flare, if they change their mind about dropping in, giving a chance for another shot.) By placing a permanent blind at waters' edge, you may eliminate some hunting opportunities, by waiting for the wind direction to change to a direction that you favor. Unless, of course, that isn't a factor for you at this location.(placing it on small island, or small coves' edge allowing for wider shooting coverage.(pass shooting along a rivers' edge comes to mind.Then wind direction doesn't have as big an effect.)
Third possible negative. What about the rest of the year, after seasons end. Are you going to leave the blind there? Cover it & keep critter's out, or a possible trapper, or ice fisherman,a deer? What about water seeping in & freezing? Could be a big hassle.

Enuff with the negatives. I apologize if I seem the pessimist. I, certainly, am not one.
I just thought I'd submit these points for some to ponder on "before" they start. wink.gif

I do have an option for you. 2 years ago , my good friend Virg & I were in a situation somewhat like yours. There was some public land along one of the rivers we like to hunt duck on & since we couldn't place a permanent blind, we made one out of 3/4" black pipe (4' high,4' wide & 8' long). Plenty big for the 2 of us & a dog or 2. By placing camo burlap & netting around it(tyed on with wire), & utilizing some of the natural vegetation. It was quite effective,easy to set up/take down, & portable. [No digging! wink.gif]
So, that might be another option, if you change your mind.
Sorry for the long post.
Regardless, I wish ya the best! Good Luck to you whatever you decide! smile.gif
See ya out there!
wink.gif

------------------
Good Luck & Watch your bobber!
MnSportsman
Proud to be a member in good standing, of the
"Church of the Divine Wilderness"!
;)

I'm not a duck hunter but the topic caught my eye. Why not take a poly tank of the right size (round/square) and cut the top off to place into the pit? With a little modification to the top you cut off you could replace it after each use/season to help keep critters and rain out. Just a thought.

Thanks for the ideas

MnSportsman - Please elaborate on this black pipe. Is this a PVC-like pipe? Where can I find one?

doubleUcubed- What's a poly tank and where can I find one

Thanks

My apologies, I was concerned for the length of my reply.I should have been a little more specific.
The "pipe" I'm speaking of, is 3/4" iron pipe, the kind commonly used years ago for Nat.gas/propane "hard" lines.Also sometimes used for plumbing(Galvanized has also been used).{You should be able to get it & the fittings at "Maynards", or "Flit-Farm",or TrakterSuppliCompani(TSC)< these names are "munged" to help prevent editing for breaking policy}
The only reason we chose that pipe, rather than conduit(electrical), or PVC, was because we wanted the weight & the color.
Weight reason... If the wind picks up while we're hunting, or we decide to leave the blind overnite, we didn't want the blind taking flight & ruining the hunt the next morning, or trying to recover it the next morning out of the water ,or in the next county, etc. wink.gif.
Color reason: "Black"....obvious...camoflage
We use Tee-fittings & 4-way-90 Deg. fittings for connection for assembly/disassembly. It really isn't very heavy when bundled up. Just guessing on the weight, maybe 10-20#'s. I'd guess it's about the same weight as one of the decoy bags when filled.[the bundle is about the size of one of those new folding chairs that come in a carry bag.] And definately easier to carry in the dark, at early AM hours, before shooting time.
You can pick up the camo burlap at the middle source named above , or Dunnly's Surplus"{<"munged" again] out on Hwy 14 East(towards Chester). We use wetlands camo cloth also. It can be had at just about any sporting supplier.
If you have need for any more details, feel free to ask me at:
[email protected]
which may be better, since I do not wish to interfere with any FishingMinnesota.com policies by providing other business names, or using space better handled thru private correspondence.

[i kind-of like it here & wish to stay around. wink.gif]

Hope that helped!
Good luck!
smile.gif
BTW,Since you live near Roch., you're about 45 miles from me. I can show ya the set-up if you'd like. Although, I'm sure you can imagine it.
See ya out there!
grin.gif

[This message has been edited by MnSportsman (edited 04-04-2002).]