• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing with 2 lines in MN?

Guys I am neither for or against two lines. If the law changed I am sure I would use two sometimes. But to me the excuse that two lines should be used because all the other states do is pretty poor.

There are plenty of other things that are more important than worrying if we should use two lines.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slim Pickens

• BUSHWAC

• jegerjack

• CRAPPIEBAIT

Personnaly, I really don't care either way.

Except it would be nice to pull 2 lines each when trolling for muskies and walleyes.

To me, nothing is better when you have 4 guys in a boat, trolling for muskies. It almost is a form of art.

And in that case, YES. Trolling 4 lines gives you MUCH BETTER ODDS for connecting, because each line is giving a different presentation that you are trying to figure out what the fish wants. Not that I'm going to eat the fish, it is just for the thrill of the chase/hunt.

Now, for another question:

WHY THE HECK CAN'T YOU TROLL ON SOME WISCONSIN WATERS????????? TO ME, THAT IS THE GOOFIEST LAW I'VE EVER COME ACCROSS!!!!!!!

------------------
Let 'em go so they can grow!!!

if you are going to charge people extra for using another rod then you should charge people who fish more than the average person extra also! let em cut down the limit if they want to but i dont think it is nessacary to do that with the slot limit and other regulations they have in effect. most people wouldnt use 2 rods in most situations anyway. but if you are bobber fishing and want to cat a spoon a few times i find it hard to believe that that would wipe out the fish population. the people who catch and keep a limit of walleyes are going to do it if they use one rod or fifty.
they use 2 rods in the states around us and i have yet to see the fishing there wiped out. in north dakota they dont even have a closed season. people there are fishing for spawning fish with 2 rods and there are still alot left! point being the people who arnt practicing c&r arnt going to be able to keep more than the limit anyway.

------------------
a bad day at the lake is better than a good day at work

Don't you guys realize there is a reason for only fishing with one line during open water season?

We aren't like other states for a reason.And there is a reason why our state is so awesome for fishing.We do have thousands upon thousands of people flocking to our state "just" for our fishing.

Don't you think we should protect our resourses by only fishing with one line?

One more thing.I'm sure the law was put in affect because of the past idiots that were getting an inch,in reality took a mile...thus resulting in slot limits,more stupid rules...er regulations,high licensing fees etc.....

Be happy with what we do have.I love minnesota.I hope nobody changes it.Great hunting,fishing and great people.It's just a few bad people that ruin it for the rest of us.
I guess my answer would be keep the one line rule.

My .o2 cents worth.

CM

[This message has been edited by CrappieMagnet (edited 05-07-2004).]

Two lines would be real handy trolling or fishing a bobber.

However, if it was approved, I am sure we would face lake by lake regulations on it and I am already too confused by the lake to lake regulations. It might create more regs on Mille Lacs and I would not be in favor of that! smile.gif

Colorado, you can buy a second rod stamp for an extra 5 bucks for the year.

ONE LINE ONLY! This whole forum is filled with people who catch and release or just take what they eat. It also sounds like people fish for the thrill of being outdoors and to suck up the fresh air and comeraderie of friends. I know I do. With all the technology available now, getting "skunked" doesn't happen too often anyway. I've always said, I could sit in boat all day without a bite and enjoy every second of it! As someone said earlier , bring your kids with if you want the extra pole. The fishing EXPERIENCE is what it's all about!

i live in `sconie and only fish with 2 lines once in a while ...it`s difficult to manage 2 lines carefully you`ll lose more than you`ll catch so in my opinion 1 good fisherman with 1 line is deadlier than a poor fisherman with 10 lines .....

lets go fishing!

I would like to see 2 lines. Aperson could put a slip bobber out for walleye and still toss a mini jig 4 suspended crappies.

GRIZ

I think we should have 2 lines also. No extra fees either. It doesn't seam like Wi or IA have a problem with too many fish being taken with 2 lines. For those of you who want us to pay more, (you must be Democrats) pretty soon you will want me to pay for my kids from birth too! Get a life. Where do you draw the line, want me to pay for the air I breath too? I buy a license and do not over harvest. I do my share of catch and release too. I would like to be able to put out a sucker for northerns and cast for crappies or bluegills at the same time. Can't do that now in MN inland waters. What are the limits for anyways. If we follow the limits, we aught to be able to use two lines.

Why put a limit on the number of lines used at all? If 2, why not 3 or 4 or however many you think you can manage at a time?
Paul S

I'm against the two line idea, I think it would be hard on the fish resource because it would allow you to try more presentations faster and hopefully find the hot bite sooner, causing more fish to be caught. Thats great for the catch and releasers on this forum but when the meat fishermen start catching more fish, the resource suffers.

The argument that "a limit is a limit" is bogus because fish limits aren't set with the idea that everytime people go fishing that they will catch a limit and the resource will be ok, they are set to protect the resouce when that hot bite occurs and even dummies can catch their limits. And the DNR doesn't have the time and resources to evaluate and reset all the limits - its not going to happen anytime soon.

Same with that argument "that surrounding states allow two lines, why not MN"? Thats like saying "my neighbor beats his kids so why can't I do it"?

Lets protect the resource - one line only.

If you are skilled enough to use two rods then sure. Shore fishing would be great. Cut bait for cats and whatever on the other rod to cast while you wait for the kitty.

Yes I would like the option to use two rods.