• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

BALLOONS AND FISHING.

SCUMFROG

I think I'll invent a tiny GPS computer chip that I can attach to a crappie or walleye and then follow my GPS to find out where they are at. I'll make a million bucks.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JP Z

• B-bear

• can it be luck?

• Blackstarluver

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question, are we talking about a helium filled balloon or a air blown one? I think that is the key, if you use a helium filled one wouldn't the fish float away? Then we get in to the whole fish and hunting season. If you have a waterfowl and fishing license can you take one of the floating fish? These questions must be answered before I can make any sort of judgment. I think I will need to contact my representative to find out what the laws are.

JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

I think the fisherman would blow up the balloon with his own mouth-- so in your case it WOULD be a HOT AIR balloon (since thats all that comes out of your mouth) and the fish would be in jeopardy of floating away.

Big G,
I see your point and I agree with a lot of what you said, but if you are trying to say I am one of those fishermen who think you need 50k of gear to BE a fisherman, then you are dead wrong. I drive a $9000 boat, most of my electronics are outdated, I don't think I own a rod that retails for over $50, yes, I have tons of tackle but everything I worked my *** off for. up until 7 years ago all I fished out of and hunted out of was a 12ft'er. So please dont try to paint me like the people you described. You don't know me.

We are talking Minnesota fishing here folks, I dont care what anyone does in other states. But here, it is illeagl, and if it is illeagl, it's unethical. I DO feel hunting deer with dogs is unethical as I feel that hunting in fenced-in ranches under feeders is also unethical...even though it is perfectly legal THERE.

Also, ever notice that the state that has the most restrictive regulations is also the state with the best fishing?....maybe there's a link......

P.S. Jigglestick...dont get so bent on a stupid thumbs-down symbol... grin.gif...ITS ONLY A THUMB MAN!!!...hehehehe

Whatever b-bare....My fish is bigger than yours....

JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

Geography has alot to do with Minnesota's fine fishing. Alaska has great fishing too, as well as Canada, Mexico, Maine, etc.
Big G, I like you more and more each day! smile.gif
I do agree with Tom however, the use of balloons isn't the most "ethical" thing to do IMO. But who's to say? Others feel totally different. Are they wrong? What about spearing northerns in MN? Why can't non-residents spear? Why can't residents spear walleye? Deer drives? Varmit shooting? 3 fishing lines? Baiting deer and bear? Live or fake decoys for hunting? Calling animals? Use of dogs? Pit blinds? Tree stands? Fishing cribs?.......BALLOONS?????

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

The way I see it we all need to be our own judge of ethics. But I would just caution as to our choices once we've decided what we consider ethical. Because if it's illegal, even though WE may consider it ethical could still get you in a trick bag. So you can make your own decisions on ethics, just be ready for the consequences.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

[This message has been edited by jpz (edited 04-14-2004).]

CIBL,
Yea, I guess I should make it clear as well that things I see as unethical is what I see...it's my opinion, nothing else. If someone wants to see things differently, that's their right. I don't think I came accross as trying to say what was right or wrong, and I in no way think I have a right to tell someone else how to think. That's what's great about this country, you can say what you think without having the "thought police" at your door.

I think there are sometimes of the year in Minnesota when it should be allowed to use the old balloon trick but only on designated lakes. The one that comes to mind wood be upper Red. Lets see the season for using the balloon could be from Jan. 1-March 1. Think of the fair chase! I can only picture in my wierd mind the guy with the auger trying to stay caught up with that balloon.

On upper Red that time of year you'd have to use a balloon with a powerful magnet inside it and then put the another magnet (or piece of metal) on top of the ice --so as the magnet under the ice (inside the balloon) moves under the ice so does the magnet/metal on top of the ice. You could attach a tip-up flag to the top unit too. Probably could just forget about the balloon tho.

Great discussion, thanks for your points of view.

Here is another question, with hopefully a more straightforward answer - where in the MN fishing regs does it say anything about balloons or this type of technique, I am just curious, I don't remember seeing it in the hours I have spent with the reg book.

TL

Page 1. of the reg book: NO DARN BALLOONS!! grin.gif
Actually it doesn't specify the use of balloons, however there are other laws that would be violated if you were to attach a fish to a balloon, littering for one.
Balloons do make good bobbers though. Who's to say if your line were to "break" accidentaly while fighting a crappie? wink.gif
Tom, I agree with you on this one, also I don't think you ever came across as stating what is "right or wrong". Merely stating your opinion. Man, I love this site!

------------------

I looked up unethical in the dictionary-here is what I found: "It is unethical to lower the limit for walleyes from 6 to 4."

Hey Tom;

By all means, I didn't intend to "blast" you. My comment was not directed to anyone in general. Not at all.

I too, agree that this technique isn't the most agreeable method of chasing fish, but it is one heck of a smart idea!!!!!!!! True "Garage Logic" in my book.

I'll be honest though, an underwater camera for ice fishing, IMO, if by far, much worse than a balloon. And yes, I use an underwater camera. Why, purely for fun and entertainment. I'm not a big fish eater, but I love catching them and watching their behaviors. Catching finicky gills with a camera.........I'll catch 10 on video, to your 1 on a flasher.

Technically, a balloon isn't much different. You are using a tool to keep on top of the fish. That is what a camera does. We use it under the ice to "scout" and when we spot the fish, we will "call" them in with furious jigging. Once they come it, we just pick away at them. On video, we can watch them ever so slightly suck it that waxie and BANG! Fish on. Same with crappies, walleyes, even jigging for pike.

I guess I'm getting a bit windy hear, but overall my point is this. Fishing has become a very expensive sport, because of all these gadgets and gizmos and person "needs".

Yes, many things are considered "unethical" in this state, and I agree with the examples both you and Mark gave. It all comes down to fair chase. And again, in my opinion, super graphs with 1" target separation, hi-tech gps mapping systems, and underwater cameras aren't "really" ethical either.

Thanks for letting me pipe up! This is a cool website!

------------------
Let 'em go so they can grow!!!

Big,
Thanks for clearing that one up grin.gif

The way I look at it, and this might be re-hashing what I and others have said, is that once you are using an actual fish, and causing un-due stress on it, then it crosses the ethical line. Using "gizmos" is not unethical, in my opinion, because it does not intrude or cause actual harm (yes, you are using them to kill them though...hehehe). But one thing you have to remember is that no matter how high-tech you get, you still have to get the fish to bite. I've always said, you stick a really good fisherperson in a canoe with no electronics, that person will outfish a poor fisherperson who has that 50k set-up hands down on any given day. The only advantage "Joe 50k" would have would be the ability to get to more spots quicker and fish rougher conditions than "Joe Canoe". Knowledge is key. All the toys in the world will not help you if you don't have a clue grin.gif

This is a good method to track fish that travel in schools and are on the move constantly (whitebass). However, instead of a balloon, use a foam bobber (will not pop if you should accidentally strike it on a bad cast).

It's only unethical if you do not retrieve the ballooned fish to remove the balloon and line.

Ethics should be used cautiously because it is unethical to call someone "unethical" when ethics has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

B-bear I don't know about that magnet idea. Can you imagine the chaos created when that magnet would pass under a fish house and all the soda cans that are open would be attracted to it.

It has been very interesting hearing what people have to say about this. I have to say that this is very unique and I hope people learn that what one person thinks is right another person may think otherwise. It all depends on our attitudes towards the resources, and our ideas behind the action. If someone is going to slaughter the fish after they find the school that is probably wrong, but if they are learning like they would with the aqua-view is that wrong. Just because there is a law against something doesn't mean it is wrong. Look at poaching, if someone did it because they needed food and were starving, i wouldnt say it was wrong, they needed to survive.
><>deadeye

OK, on the lighter side, I've just thought of a new sport. Fill the balloon with helium, let it and the fish float aways up in the wind, then shoot it down with a shotgun.

Kinda would combine fishing and hunting.

Just joking, my mind is wandering here at work, wish I was fishing...

Ok...why would someone try to drown me under the ice?

LOL grin.gif

It's kinda ironic where this threads been going.It should be in the political thread.

Illegal is illegal,just like stealing is stealing.

Just my .o2 cents worth!

CM

Wavey Davey, that's what the asian flying carp are for! Watchout though! Them things will kill you if they hit you just right! grin.gif
BTW, does a "stringer" have to be tied to a boat, or can you just let your catch "swim around" while keeping track of them with a balloon? smile.gif

------------------

Open shotgun season on flying asian carp.
The DNR should consider it to solve the problem. Probably a little on the un-safe side though.

ethical and legal are not the same thing. I thought we've already estabilished that. States have different laws, so if something is legal in one state, but now the other, are all the sportsmen in that state unethical?? For the record, this whole ballon thing is pretty silly, but it's been fun reading everyones opinion.

When we were kids my brother and I used to let a big blugill swim around while hooked until the bobber stopped, then reel him in and fish that spot. It worked pretty well too. Now I find out that we are unethical criminals. I think I'll just keep it to myself, spare my brother the pain.....

Ok again.As long as we are on the balloon subject.Has anyone ever heard of this one.
For shore fishing and or dock fishing,success is getting your bait to the fish.If they are too far out,you can't cast to them.Here's a way to use the wind to your advantage.
Double up your line about a foot above your baited hook and thread the loop through a lifesaver candy.Pass the loop over the lifesaver so it cinches up against the candy and keeps it from sliding on the line.Blow up a balloon and tie a knot in the stem.Tie the balloon to the lifesaver with a few inches of line.Drop the rig in the water and let the wind carry the balloon out.After about 15 minutes,the lifesaver will desolve and drop the bait to the bottom.

Ethical or non?

CM

[This message has been edited by CrappieMagnet (edited 04-14-2004).]

As I see some people really have no clue;

What is the meaning of Ethical or Unethical?

I dont really know so im not giving my $.02. wink.gif

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

This is ironic, I had philosophy 101 Intro to Ethics, last semester.
God lyk!

Littering?

I would have to think that if I retrieved the balloon or bobber, then this would not be littering. Same would hold for a marker buoy.

Next time I cross paths with a CO I will most certainly ask about this...

A big issue with this would be that the fish once caught and "sort of kept" would be part of your limit. The whole culling issue would come into effect. But I don't know, it would be funny to see.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z